Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures (61082 Views)

Enugu Greenery: The Most Serene City In Nigeria / Landlocked Joburg Opens Africa's Largest Made-Made "Mega Beach" (PICS) / Evolution Of The Beautiful City Of Dubai In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by victorDanladi: 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2017
shadrach77:
But Cairo is Africa's largest city nah! We just like boosting our ego for no reason cry
Lagos is now officially largest city in Africa in term of population.It used to be cairo followed by lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by blingxx(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2017
Natural01:
Eko ile

shocked nice undecided but the aircraft is Photoshop

Too beautiful to be real

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by demefa(m): 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Not really been to many actually, but some provinces in China no make sense reach Lagos.

Even India, though not a developed country, some of their states na shambles compared to Lagos.

I'm not a Lagosian oh! grin
u don't know what your saying!!
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by demefa(m): 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2017
victorDanladi:

Lagos is now officially largest city in Africa in term of population.It used to be cairo followed by lagos.
u don't know the difference between largest and most populated?

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by blingxx(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2017
EzeEbira:

Show me slums in Spain and Japan
am waiting.

Only If you know the problem of overpopulation and natural disasters Japan and China face every year undecided ...Just keep thanking God u are nigerian
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by akigbemaru: 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:
I swear, Lagos make sense die cheesy cheesy cheesy.

I even prefer Lagos to some states in some of these so-called developed countries.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by ORIGI(m): 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
This is Lagos, NOT Lagos state. Why was the slum not photographed? I mean the AJ City, Makoko, Mushin, Ojuelegba, Ebute Meta, Oshodi, Iyana Ipaja...the list goes on. I understand the intention is to project a good image of Lagos, but there more to Lagos than just Lagos Island.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by aribisala0(m): 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2017
demefa:
In Geography and Urban Planning the terms are interchangeable so spare us the "I too know " when you really are clueless

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by aribisala0(m): 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2017
demefa:
My father at home Sharrap permanently
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by victorDanladi: 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
positivetaught:
Lagos is beautiful but certainly it wouldn't have gotten to this stage if it hadn't been the federal capital before same case applies to Abuja today, BTW Lagos is now Africa's largest city!,is it by area or population size?
lagos is naturally a blessed city.Abuja will be capital forever but will never be as great as lagos.Lagos growth os multi factorial,being a formal capital is a factor!.Others are:
-closeness to the sea and other west african countries.

-yoruba slave returnees contributed alot.

-yorubas are naturally urban dwellers,even before lagos they've had the largest city in west africa interm of population and land masse in their interland which is ibadan and they are accomodating to other tribes too.

-Relatively good leadership,obafemi awolowo founded the country first Industrial estate in the country in ikeja(now the major industrial district of the city),lateef jakande,tinubu,fashola and ambode

-influx of other tribes to contribute their quota,Hausa/fulanis,igbo(their entrapeneural spirits),ijaw and other tribes.

N.B:federal government intentionally left lagos to rot after it was stripped of his capital status since 1976.Infact,no new project was carried out by th FG in the city apart from 3rd mainland bridge since 1976.(people who new lagos before 1999 will appreciate this)

ALSO LAGOS IS NOW OFFICIALLY AFRICAN LARGEST CITY IN TERM OF POPULATION FOLLOWED BY CAIRO.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by demefa(m): 1:37pm On Oct 09, 2017
aribisala0:
My mama toto dey smell
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Tino86(m): 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2017
Princedapace:

Thank u jareee.. this country weak me.. that is why our politicians dey use us play football..

all we know is Lagos this, Lagos that.. and mock other tribes wey no reach Lagos.. what a shameless country.. as if Lagos is even the only state in Nigeria or the only state in Yorubaland.

Some times, i dont want to identify with us, Nigerians, we love meritocracy more than anything..

I repeat, No Nigerian city is worth celebrating: None is developed.. development is not all about HD pictures of beautiful buildings..

is there 24/7 power supply? How about transportation? what are the channels of transportation? what about housing? what about water supply? what about healthcare? what is the nature of the public market?

If u talk much now, some pple will tag u broke! Nigerians have been designed to believe that u must be rich before u can enjoy basic things of life..

Make em keep celebrating Lagos, everyday, Lagos this and that.. Lagos never start sef
you have said it all bro. you have emphasis on the major determinant for terming a society developed and not pictures of high rise buildings. Nigerians = Mediocrity. That is leaders Will keep playing piano with their brains. Nonsense thread....
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by victorDanladi: 1:38pm On Oct 09, 2017
demefa:
You are the ignorant here!

google the largest city in africa!

city largeness is rated in term of population.It the writer is referring to land mass,it will be specified.As in "in term of landmass"
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
Well said
claremont:

A 'rural settlement' in Kenya has 24/7 uninterrupted power supply, high-speed broadband internet, uninterrupted water, cheap cable TV. If you are lucky, you will have all these plus a nature reserve right outside your property.

I will take that over Lagos anyday. We still have a very long way to go in Nigeria if we continue spending time glorifying superstructures at the expense of providing basic amenities.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Tino86(m): 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
Princedapace:

Thank u jareee.. this country weak me.. that is why our politicians dey use us play football..

all we know is Lagos this, Lagos that.. and mock other tribes wey no reach Lagos.. what a shameless country.. as if Lagos is even the only state in Nigeria or the only state in Yorubaland.

Some times, i dont want to identify with us, Nigerians, we love meritocracy more than anything..

I repeat, No Nigerian city is worth celebrating: None is developed.. development is not all about HD pictures of beautiful buildings..

is there 24/7 power supply? How about transportation? what are the channels of transportation? what about housing? what about water supply? what about healthcare? what is the nature of the public market?

If u talk much now, some pple will tag u broke! Nigerians have been designed to believe that u must be rich before u can enjoy basic things of life..

Make em keep celebrating Lagos, everyday, Lagos this and that.. Lagos never start sef
you have said it all bro. you have emphasised on the major determinants for terming a society developed and not pictures of high rise buildings. Nigerians = Mediocrity. That is why, leaders Will keep playing piano with their brains. Nonsense thread....
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by LionDeLeo: 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2017
noruwasman:

your last sentence could make me doubt you for once ni

I repeat, I'm not a Lagosian. Living in Lagos doesn't make you a Lagosian.

Who ur doubt epp? cheesy
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by OAUTemitayo: 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
Amarabae:
So beautiful, I dont envy lagos growth, because its a city with open hands to all,
after the war,my grandfather's housing and business properties in Lagos were not touched nor seized, he returned and met them there unlike those who did a big mistake of "abandoned property" seizing out of envy for the Igbos.

Eko O Ni Baje o!
Ride on
Good you appreciate it.
But some of your people still hate us and like those who seized their properties.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by kaymandak(m): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
To some people who are beating drum for Python, this is a zoo to them...potopoto brain. God bless Lasgidi

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by mealdred: 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2017
Do you know that investing in undeveloped parcels of land is a great starting point to creating wealth in real estate? In Real estate, you don't need to have millions to invest, with #700k you can secure your own plot of the New Lagos (ibeju lekki) . Pm for more information, trust me, in 2019 you will be glad you made this decision.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by spy24(m): 1:47pm On Oct 09, 2017
Op Lagos no clean like dis U took pics of VI ikoyi and Lagos island only

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by LionDeLeo: 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
PrecisionFx:

U haven't been to Lagos Sir.grin.
My base in Nigeria is Lagos.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Rich96: 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
EmeeNaka:
If I no dey Lagos, OP for deceive me.
Lagos is not any beautiful. Overrated Lagos

Please get a Drone! Go to Lagos island and Mainland! And Take Pictures! Omo ale! Alaye baje! I sure say na Inside dirty Lagos face me I slap you you dey! Mumu! Anofia

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
Natural01:

This is hypocrisy....y'all are the ones that cry when western and eastern media portray Lagos as dirty when they show where 90% of the populace live in areas like Mushin, Ajegunle. Oshodi, surulere, etc but here you are showing filtered photos of Lagos island only to portray Lagos as a beautiful city smh grin
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by sunshineV(f): 1:58pm On Oct 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Not really been to many actually, but some provinces in China no make sense reach Lagos.

Even India, though not a developed country, some of their states na shambles compared to Lagos.

I'm not a Lagosian oh! grin

See as Dem snap island pack for there come give am mad color meanwhile go okobaba or makoko..... The whole place don fade. Water dey enter house anyhow
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by johnanu(m): 2:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nice pics... weldone!
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by NLProblemChild(m): 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2017
Majority of this pic's are taken in Lagos island.. Around Marina side., even some part of Lagos island is very dirty.. Those pics are mainly the company' which was developed well ..the houses,majority are brown roofs.. I live in Lagos island and I know what I am saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by ODVanguard: 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2017
aribisala0:

The third World question is about quality of living on average for the WHOLE POPULATION
China has the second largest economy that is true but not relevant to whether it is third world or not.
A man earning 1 million Naira a month with 100 dependents has a bigger economy than a man with 100000 a month income with 2 dependents.
The population of China is HUGE and there is widespread inequality . To answer whether or not it is Third World one needs definitions and parameters. There is a huge population of people living in abject poverty in the rural areas in China.

You did not answer his question ,rather you are bluffing. He asked for PROOF

Let me put it like this if China were to get anywhere near 1st world standards this planet will be in serious environmental trouble
On average Chinese standards of living are VERY FAR from first world in terms of education and health care

Take a look at this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Your definition and perspective of the subject matter is too narrow and subjective. The whole 'first, second, and third world' concept is a legacy of the 2nd world war and the cold war, which divided the countries of the world into 'first, second, and third worlds' on the basis of those nations that are capitalist, 'western', and that fought on the side of the U.S and the U.k (first world), vs. the communist bloc whom were considered 'second world', while the neutral/non-aligned countries were relegated to the 'third world' status. In other words, according to the Western victors, you weren't 'first world' if you weren't 'democratic' or didn't practise their style of capitalism. Thankfully that criteria has now been rendered outdated.

If you can go as far as giving me a wikipedia reference to your private/personal interpretation or understanding of the criteria for deciding what makes a national 'third world', why are you narrowing it down to just nominal GDP? What about other more current and equally valid criteria that includes how industrialized the country is, literacy rates, life expectancy, and the Human Development Index? Those are the expanded benchmarks (according to wiki) that are used in determining 'first-world' countries today (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World).

But even if we were to go by the original criteria, China still wouldn't be considered 'third world' but rather 'second world'. According to a UN report, the country has managed to lift an unprecedented 660-million of its citizens out of poverty in the last 3-decades. Ironically, the same Chinese are the highest FDI contributors to most of the 'Richer', 'Western', 'First World' countries today. Bottomline is that the Chinese have been able to develop themselves in accordance with a homegrown model that disproves and defies traditional Western norms concerning economic development. I can't shout.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by teelaw4life(m): 2:15pm On Oct 09, 2017
It's all well taking pictures and editing the crap out of it. As if it's not the same Lagos i live. Anyway, if you've lots of money, Lagos is exactly as the pictures are, if you don't, then you know it's anything but beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Natural01(m): 2:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
mrsirdam:

This is hypocrisy....y'all are the ones that cry when western and eastern media portray Lagos as dirty when they show where 90% of the populace live in areas like Mushin, Ajegunle. Oshodi, surulere, etc but here you are showing filtered photos of Lagos island only to portray Lagos as a beautiful city smh grin
Hmm 90% tell me what you are smoking
He even mentioned Surulere, dude you are out of point.

Surulere

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by anthonyuncle(m): 2:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
u're showing us pics taken from da island alone,
y dnt u show da mainland(orile, amukoko, ijesha, mushin, ajegunle, okoko, okokomaiko & co) which is da true lagos
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by MENTORCH(m): 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
zombieHUNTER:
By the time you experience Lagos holdup...
Your brain go reset..
Very dirty stinking city..

Nice pictures though
But that's what they are
High tech pictures

There is traffic everywhere in the world, if you see the traffic in LA and New York, even in Houston.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Kidnap Bus Passengers Along Benin-Ore Road / Bridge Collapses In Kwara After Heavy Rainfall, Four Feared Dead / Save Us From Xenophobic Attacks, Nigerians In S Africa Urge FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.