Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,715 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures (61091 Views)

Enugu Greenery: The Most Serene City In Nigeria / Landlocked Joburg Opens Africa's Largest Made-Made "Mega Beach" (PICS) / Evolution Of The Beautiful City Of Dubai In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by wristbangle: 2:28pm On Oct 09, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
grin sad cool shocked cheesy wink grin grin ;DCome to Ogbete in Enugu and see how pot developed it with their human waste aka igbe.

grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Ttipsy(f): 2:28pm On Oct 09, 2017
omololu2020:
I can bet my money with you that,your state capital is not as beautiful as ikorodu
my state capital is Owerri, and I don't care, which is more beautiful, but what I just said is the fact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by aribisala0(m): 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
ODVanguard:

Your definition and perspective of the subject matter is too narrow and subjective. The whole 'first, second, and third world' concept is a legacy of the 2nd world war and the cold war, which divided the countries of the world into 'first, second, and third worlds' on the basis of those nations that are capitalist, 'western', and that fought on the side of the U.S and the U.k (first world), vs. the axis-communist bloc whom were considered 'second world', while the neutral/non-aligned countries were relegated to the 'third world' status. In other words, according to the Western victors, you weren't 'first world' if you weren't 'democratic' or didn't practise their style of capitalism. Thankfully that criteria has now been rendered outdated.

If you can go as far as giving me a wikipedia reference to your private/personal interpretation or understanding of the criteria for deciding what makes a national 'third world', why are you narrowing it down to just nominal GDP? What about other more current and equally valid criteria that includes how industrialized the country is, literacy rates, life expectancy, and the Human Development Index? Those are the expanded benchmarks (according to wiki) that are used in determining 'first-world' countries today (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World).

But even if we were to go by the original criteria, China still wouldn't be considered 'third world' but rather 'second world'. According to a UN report, the country has managed to lift an unprecedented 660-million of its citizens out of poverty in the last 3-decades. Ironically, the same Chinese are the highest FDI contributors to most of the 'Richer', 'Western', 'First World' countries today. Bottomline is that the Chinese have been able to develop themselves in accordance with an homegrown model that disproves and defies traditional Western norms concerning economic development. I can't shout.

Actually I did not provide any definition so please do not misquote or misattribute or put words in my mouth.
What I maintain is China is a vast country of one billion plus people with a huge inequality. Many of those who live in the worst conditions in china live in the worst conditions on earth and while for argument sake we can aggregate it into one the inquality exists.

You new second world argument is interesting widening of the debate which I have plenty sympathy for but an afterthought.
MY opinion which I am stating FOR THE FIRST TIME. is

Much of China lives in Third World conditions especially in the rural areas and because of its huge population the numbers are huge .

Rural China is completely different from Urban China and the vast majority of Chinese people are poor
CHINA IS NOT A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

My base in Nigeria is Lagos.

It's not possible Sir.

We all know Lagos, Even though as e get sky scrapers, e also get slums whey mouth no fit explain grin.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2017
anthonyuncle:
u're showing us pics taken from da island alone,
y dnt u show da mainland(orile, amukoko, ijesha, mushin, ajegunle, okoko, okokomaiko & co) which is da true lagos

When they show you pics of America, UK, Europe or even Dubai, do you see their ghetto, what's all this nonsense from people asking for pics of ghettos na
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by chibuikesilver0: 2:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ibadan is the largest in Africa

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by LionDeLeo: 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2017
PrecisionFx:

It's not possible Sir.

We all know Lagos, Even though as e get sky scrapers, e also get slums whey mouth no fit explain grin.
Okay.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Marvidris(f): 2:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
Natural01:

Lagos is not the largest city in Africa, not even in West Africa
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by omololu2020(m): 2:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ttipsy:
my state capital is Owerri, and I don't care, which is more beautiful, but what I just said is the fact
i don't care if is the fact or not,ikorodu is more beautiful and develop than the whole of imo state.
IMO and Lagos state are not in the same league, be worried about your underdevelop state.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by ipobarecriminals: 2:44pm On Oct 09, 2017
wristbangle:

grin
sad
wristbangle:

grin
u traful b4
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by omololu2020(m): 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ojuororun:
some part no be lyk dat o..... go to mushin,ikorodu area lagos go tire die u sirgringringrin
little kids like you keep screaming ikorodu, where do you know in ikorodu? Ikorodu is more develop than a lot of state capital in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by malton: 2:46pm On Oct 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Not really been to many actually, but some provinces in China no make sense reach Lagos.

Even India, though not a developed country, some of their states na shambles compared to Lagos.

I'm not a Lagosian oh! grin

Well, technically, they are both still developing countries. As a nation, they have miles to go, just like we do.

Thought you'd mention an actually developed country.

That said, Lagos is fine, no doubt.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Leez(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2017
Justiceleague1:
When officials say that kano is still more populated than the No Man Land,coneheads/sophisticated Agberoes careless buh if anybody dare whisper Abia is.... all coneheads/mumunis/agberoes/zomBs will commence mouthFoaming 101 grin grin

Edo oni baje,o cheesy
grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by adegeye38(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2017
selected pictures of some places on d island

while the major of the city is dirty, dilapidated and decaying, the government should really do more

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by omololu2020(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
ORIGI:
This is Lagos, NOT Lagos state. Why was the slum not photographed? I mean the AJ City, Makoko, Mushin, Ojuelegba, Ebute Meta, Oshodi, Iyana Ipaja...the list goes on. I understand the intention is to project a good image of Lagos, but there more to Lagos than just Lagos Island.
go and read the title of the topic,a lot of Nigerians are just so dumb
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by positivetaught: 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
victorDanladi:

lagos is naturally a blessed city.Abuja will be capital forever but will never be as great as lagos.Lagos growth os multi factorial,being a formal capital is a factor!.Others are:
-closeness to the sea and other west african countries.

-yoruba slave returnees contributed alot.

-yorubas are naturally urban dwellers,even before lagos they've had the largest city in west africa interm of population and land masse in their interland which is ibadan and they are accomodating to other tribes too.

-Relatively good leadership,obafemi awolowo founded the country first Industrial estate in the country in ikeja,lateef jakande,tinubu,fashola and ambode

-influx of other tribes to contribute their quota,Hausa/fulanis,igbo(their entrapeneural spirits),ijaw and other tribes.

N.B:federal government intentionally left lagos to rot after it was stripped of his capital status since 1976.Infact,no new project was carried out by th FG in the city apart from 3rd mainland bridge since 1976.(people who new lagos before 1999 will appreciate this)

ALSO LAGOS IS NOW OFFICIALLY AFRICAN LARGEST CITY IN TERM OF POPULATION FOLLOWED BY CAIRO.
I think I agree with more so that you also acknowledged n accepted my point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2017
Which fool dey compare Nigeria with China. I swear Lagos is a ghetto to China.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by samsobo24(m): 2:59pm On Oct 09, 2017
I assure you,if you know or pass through the rural areas of Lagos, you will admit that there is real development.
Come to rural settlements in Lagos and see encouraging structures.
Lagos is not where it is today,but I can tell you it is developing. The government is targeting a vision to make Lagos global.
My point is,only an untrue fellow Will say its not developing or its not beautiful.
Oshodi,Iyana ipaja etc in Lagos were deplorable compared to now that it is drastically improving.
The oshodi transport interchange will change the face of oshodi

4 Likes

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by malton: 3:04pm On Oct 09, 2017
aribisala0:

The third World question is about quality of living on average for the WHOLE POPULATION
China has the second largest economy that is true but not relevant to whether it is third world or not.
A man earning 1 million Naira a month with 100 dependents has a bigger economy than a man with 100000 a month income with 2 dependents.
The population of China is HUGE and there is widespread inequality . To answer whether or not it is Third World one needs definitions and parameters. There is a huge population of people living in abject poverty in the rural areas in China.

You did not answer his question ,rather you are bluffing. He asked for PROOF

Let me put it like this if China were to get anywhere near 1st world standards this planet will be in serious environmental trouble
On average Chinese standards of living are VERY FAR from first world in terms of education and health care

Take a look at this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

As in!!!

I was shocked by the level of ignorance on display.

They kept bashing the guy for being more in the know than they were. Must have thought high rise buildings are the only indices of development.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by spinna: 3:13pm On Oct 09, 2017
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by malton: 3:25pm On Oct 09, 2017
victorDanladi:

Lagos is now officially largest city in Africa in term of population.It used to be cairo followed by lagos.

Well, perhaps both you and the OP are not the most articulate on here. But you must understand that, when largeness is mentioned in respect to a place, it is usually taken to mean as regards land area.

Since it concerns population, he should have said the "most populous," and not the largest.

That's why most people are contesting it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Ttipsy(f): 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2017
omololu2020:
i don't care if is the fact or not,ikorodu is more beautiful and develop than the whole of imo state.
IMO and Lagos state are not in the same league, be worried about your underdevelop state.
whatever, compare Abeokuta or osogbo with ikorodu not Owerri. have a nice day!!!
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
interestingly GDP of mumbai city >400 billion dollars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Mumbai

1st pic 1 billion dollar private home

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Oxtonguy: 3:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
malton:

Well, perhaps both you and the OP are not the most articulate on here. But you must understand that, when largeness is mentioned in respect to a place, it is usually taken to mean as regards land area.

Since it concerns population, he should have said the "most populous," and not the largest.

demefa:
Sharrap illiterate u know nothing
Una better carry una dome head comot for here sad
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by nochio(m): 3:49pm On Oct 09, 2017
This are pictures of Lagos State, show us pictures of the city called Lagos (Eko), how can Lagos be the largest city in Africa?

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by Ugosample(m): 3:55pm On Oct 09, 2017
thunderbabs:
This is total alienation.....

why do u shw lagos in pictures and neva include Bariga-Lagos, Gbagada-Lagos, Oworosoki-Lagos, Ojodu-Lagos, Ogba-Lagos, Agege-Lagos, Iju-Lagos, Abule-egba, Iyana Ipaja, Ikotun, Agbado, Ijaye, Alakukor, Ajegunle, Orile, Badagry, Orile, Idimu, Mushin, Yaba,etc. No vex if i no list ur hood.

Shey all those places offend Lagos ni abi na Island dey offend ntori ko ye mi.

Total Misrepresentation....o dun mi gan ni

When other cities worldwide are shown, do they show their slums too?
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by victorDanladi: 4:02pm On Oct 09, 2017
malton:

Not only me and the OP.probably the owner of the following website too

www.worldatlas.com/articles/15-biggest-cities-in-africa.html

https://www.naijaspecs.com/largest-cities-in-africa-biggest-city/

https://www.worldlistmania.com/largest-cities-africa/

www.nigerianfinder.com/the-largest-city-in-africa/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by victorDanladi: 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
demefa:
Sharrap illiterate u know nothing

The literate that doesn't know large and most populous could be used interchangeably cool

visit the following website and write the owners that they are illiterates:

www.worldatlas.com/articles/15-biggest-cities-in-
africa.html

https://www.naijaspecs.com/largest-cities-in-africa-
biggest-city/

https://www.worldlistmania.com/largest-cities-africa/

www.nigerianfinder.com/the-largest-city-in-africa/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by haryorbarmie83(m): 4:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
Eko oni baje.
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by ipobarecriminals: 4:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
wink cool] grin smiley wink wink
Marvidris:
Marvidris:
Marvidris:
ok Ms Ajala
Re: Lagos: Africa's Largest City In Pictures by KENZINCO(m): 4:20pm On Oct 09, 2017
zombieHUNTER:
By the time you experience Lagos holdup...
Your brain go reset..
Very dirty stinking city..

Nice pictures though
But that's what they are
High tech pictures
I'm sure u haven't been to or live in Lagos all you life because if you have, you would know that the "HOLD UP" is part of what make Lagos what we like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Kidnap Bus Passengers Along Benin-Ore Road / Bridge Collapses In Kwara After Heavy Rainfall, Four Feared Dead / Save Us From Xenophobic Attacks, Nigerians In S Africa Urge FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.