Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,236 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Following The Word Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Following The Word Of God (1550 Views)

Many Churches Are Still Following The Law Of Moses. / Are You Following The Path Of Elisha Or Gehazi? / Following The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Following The Word Of God by huxley(m): 10:04am On Mar 10, 2010
Supposing God asked your to kill members of you family, friends, or neighbours, would you obey God's orders?  Supposing you BELIEVED unflinchingly that you have heard from God and that there is no way you could be mistaken about it, would you carry out the acts of killing your family, friends or neighbours?
Re: Following The Word Of God by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:31pm On Mar 10, 2010
When it comes to issues like this all God worshippers most especially christians and Muslims would throw back their ass. . . . I 've alot to share on this but firstly let all the God worshipper show their face here and contribute something sensible.
Re: Following The Word Of God by jagunlabi(m): 8:01pm On Mar 10, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

When it comes to issues like this all God worshippers most especially christians and Muslims would throw back their backside. . . . I 've alot to share on this but firstly let all the God worshipper show their face here and contribute something sensible.
Here's my prophesy, all god worshipppers will avoid this thread like the plague.
Re: Following The Word Of God by manmustwac(m): 9:19pm On Mar 10, 2010
huxley:

Supposing God asked your to kill members of you family, friends, or neighbours, would you obey God's orders?  Supposing you BELIEVED unflinchingly that you have heard from God and that there is no way you could be mistaken about it, would you carry out the acts of killing your family, friends or neighbours?
there was topic here a few weeks ago about ayoung man who nearly killed his mother because his pastor told him that she was a witch and was stopping his progress. Which means that some people will kill family members if a pastor told them to talkless of god himself.
Re: Following The Word Of God by noetic16(m): 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2010
huxley:

those who worship god know the nature of God. . . .why not strive to meet God to know His nature. . .that way u stop asking/making ridiculous assertions.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Ascony(m): 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2010
those who worship god know the nature of God. . . .why not strive to meet God to know His nature. . .that way u stop asking/making ridiculous assertions.

Now how can one strive to meet an imaginary being, i just dont really get it sometimes, how can u meet God? u mean by praying or fasting or reading the bible consistently or doing what exactly? what is that thing that u do to meet God? or is it going to church and fellowships everyday, or is it by being moral and living a good life? (a wise person knows its a necessity), because i have done all this things for 23 yrs of my life and i didnt meet God.
please tell me in a simple tone, what do one do to meet God?
Re: Following The Word Of God by manmustwac(m): 9:34pm On Mar 10, 2010
noetic16:

Its not a ridiculous assertion read ths story below about the boy who tried to killed his mother because his pastor told him that she was the person behind his misfortunes

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-395239.0.html
Re: Following The Word Of God by noetic16(m): 9:58pm On Mar 10, 2010
Ascony:

Now how can one strive to meet an imaginary being, i just dont really get it sometimes, how can u meet God? u mean by praying or fasting or reading the bible consistently or doing what exactly? what is that thing that u do to meet God? or is it going to church and fellowships everyday, or is it by being moral and living a good life? (a wise person knows its a necessity), because i have done all this things for 23 yrs of my life and i didnt meet God.
please tell me in a simple tone, what do one do to meet God?

u spent 23 years of ur life on religious doctrines and u blame it on God?
u meet God by seeking him in spirit and in truth. , . . . .holiness without which no man shall see God . . . . .for without faith it is impossible to please Him.
Re: Following The Word Of God by noetic16(m): 10:02pm On Mar 10, 2010
manmustwac:

Its not a ridiculous assertion read ths story below about the boy who tried to killed his mother because his pastor told him that she was the person behind his misfortunes

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-395239.0.html

I honestly think it is unfair to link god with this. . . .why?. . .cos the dude did not reveal such revelation himself?. . . .a "pastor" claimed to have received such. . .what does one make of that?

why did the pastor not break the yoke? why give such an info without a remedy?
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 1:35am On Mar 11, 2010
huxley:

Huxley, there are many problems with your troublesome question. You need to sort them out first.

Supposing God
Which God? Who? I will assume in the following discussion that you refer to the same God that I and other Christians call God.

Supposing God asked
How does God ask you to do stuff? I know how God talks to me, but in this case, can you expatiate on this?

Supposing God asked your to kill members of you family, friends, or neighbors
After answering #2 above, please explain what you understand about how God passes instructions to man. Does He explain the reason for His instructions, or he just asks you to carry out his orders the way a taskmaster whips a slave into action?

Supposing God asked your to kill members of you family, friends, or neighbours, [b]would you obey God's order[/b]s?
Tell us, Huxley, are you like the WOF people who believe that God's plans can be limited by the non-compliance of a puny human being? And also, from the answer to my 1st Question above, is it the nature of GOD to make this kind of request? What is the nature of God?

Supposing you BELIEVED unflinchingly that you have heard from God
This borders on what I asked in #2 above. Is it what you believe unflinchingly (de facto information) that is the truth (de jure information) about what God said? How do you factor in possible cases of mental, psychological imbalances and the corruption of sin, limned as religion?

and that there is no way you could be mistaken about it
Once again, I ask you, how are you certain about whatever you think/believe (de facto) that God told you, that it is accurate (de jure)?

would you carry out the acts of killing your family, friends or neighbours?
Please answer the six questions above, and therein you will find your answer to the seventh. If you don't, I will return to tell you what I believe.
Re: Following The Word Of God by jagunlabi(m): 2:24am On Mar 11, 2010
The bible says that it is the nature of the bible god(i take it that the god being talked about here is yahweh) to make such requests.See OT for the story of abraham asked to kill his son isaac in sacrifice.
If the bible god made such a request then, what stops him from making it now, especially since this god does not change?
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 2:34am On Mar 11, 2010
Jagunlabi, are you answering for Huxley?  undecided

Gen 22:2  He said, "Take your dear son Isaac whom you love and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I'll point out to you."

God had not yet told Abraham that he DOES NOT accept burnt offerings of human beings, that was why it was a VALID test of Abraham's faith. He wasn't going to allow Abraham kill the boy. It's a different ball game now, when God has clearly told us that he does not accept such, and has warned us to stay clear of such. He will not ask us to do such a thing as he asked Abraham.

Huxley, please answer the questions. Thanks.
Re: Following The Word Of God by jagunlabi(m): 3:01am On Mar 11, 2010
^^^^No.I just found that part that says that it is not in god's nature to make such requests when the bible god actually did make such requests.Besides, how does a god you christians describe as "incomprehensible" to humans suddenly becomes so comprehensible that you christians even know his nature?Are christians deconstructing and reconstructing their god to make him look . . . nice natured?
Anyway, my first question to your reply;
1)Why does a socalled allknowing god need to test humans if he already knows what the cause of their actions would be?Could it be that this bible god is a pretender and not actually allknowing?
2)Even though the bible god ended up not allowing poor abraham the "honor" of sacrificing his son to him, the mental torture that abraham was made to go through due to the thought of killing his most beloved is just as terrible as actually doing the killing.What does that say about your perceived god's nature?Is it good or is it evil?
3)Where in the bible did the bible god specifically stated that he desires no human sacrifice?
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 3:16am On Mar 11, 2010
Jagunlabi, I don't want this thread to be derailed. I will answer your questions AFTER Huxley has done justice to mine.
Re: Following The Word Of God by huxley(m): 9:38am On Mar 11, 2010
InesQor:

Jagunlabi, are you answering for Huxley?  undecided

Gen 22:2  He said, "Take your dear son Isaac whom you love and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I'll point out to you."

God had not yet told Abraham that he DOES NOT accept burnt offerings of human beings, that was why it was a VALID test of Abraham's faith. He wasn't going to allow Abraham kill the boy. It's a different ball game now, when God has clearly told us that he does not accept such, and has warned us to stay clear of such. He will not ask us to do such a thing as he asked Abraham.

Huxley, please answer the questions. Thanks.

Hello InesQor,

I was not talking specifically about sacrificing humans to God, although that is also something that God requires of his followers (see Lev 27: 29). I was talking about killing in generally. For instance, if God asked you to kill someone you did not like, would you do it?
Re: Following The Word Of God by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 11, 2010
huxley:

Hello InesQor,

I was not talking specifically about sacrificing humans to God, although that is also something that God requires of his followers (see Lev 27: 29). I was talking about killing in generally. For instance, if God asked you to kill someone you did not like, would you do it?

God would never tell any1 to kill who he doesnt like. Cos who is man for him to hate another man or dislike another man? God is the creator of all mankind and the God of all flesh. Since the time of christ any form of Jungle justices ceased. God doesnt delight in burnt offerings Psalm 51 16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give [it]: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God [are] a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart,
Re: Following The Word Of God by Ascony(m): 1:25pm On Mar 11, 2010
[quote]u spent 23 years of your life on religious doctrines and u blame it on God? 
[/quote]

the so called religious doctrines is the means u learn about God u know, u didnt have knowledge of  God by default, u were taught about God through "religious doctrines" when u were young, i dont even get your point here, so i should blame myself when the so called  all powerful God should have simply revealed himself to me?

u meet God by seeking him in spirit and in truth.

in truth and in spirit? hmmm, na wa o, i begged u to tell me in a lay mans terms and here u are with the truth and spirit thingy. pls give me a instance of how to go about seeking God in  truth and spirit .

,  . . .
.holiness without which no man shall see God

i dont do any bad things, i treat others as i expect to be treated, i do not violate anybodys right. does that sum up as holiness? I guess u must have seen God since u are holy? so tell me, what does the dude look like?

[quote]. . . . .for without faith it is impossible to please Him.
[/quote]

u keep reciting everything u were taught in church, so by faith u mean i should discard every evidence that God does not exist, and believe without evidence that he exists?

pls i ask u once again, how can one meet God, tell me in a simple laymans terms how i can do it personally without going tru all these rituals. i have done all the things u prescribed and many more and i still didnt meet God, (i wonder if it would be a literal meeting undecided)

Re: Following The Word Of God by huxley(m): 2:14pm On Mar 11, 2010
toba:

God would never tell any1 to kill who he doesnt like. Cos who is man for him to hate another man or dislike another man? God is the creator of all mankind and the God of all flesh. Since the time of christ any form of Jungle justices ceased. God doesnt delight in burnt offerings Psalm 51 16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give [it]: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

Hello Toba, check these out:

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

(Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)
If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.

And with reference to what is happening in Nigeria at the moment

(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 11, 2010
toba:

God would never tell any1 to kill who he doesnt like. Cos who is man for him to hate another man or dislike another man? God is the creator of all mankind and the God of all flesh. Since the time of Christ any form of Jungle justices ceased. God doesn't delight in burnt offerings Psalm 51 16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give [it]: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

huxley:

Hello Toba, check these out:

Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

(Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)
If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, [/b]whom you and your fathers have not known, [b]gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him.

And with reference to what is happening in Nigeria at the moment

(Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.

Pls note the bolded and try to correlate them with these

Exodus 20
1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him

Theres no 'curse without a cause'
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 4:58pm On Mar 11, 2010
Huxley, can you please deign to answer my questions before the thread gets to the next page?
Re: Following The Word Of God by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Mar 11, 2010
God will never tell you to do that.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Tonyet1(m): 6:41pm On Mar 11, 2010
Fhemmmy:

God will never tell you to do that.

God can tell you to do that. Scriptures had instances of it.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Fhemmmy: 7:05pm On Mar 11, 2010
Tonye-t:

God can tell you to do that. Scriptures had instances of it.

The part of the scriptures that you were refering to were in the Law of Moses and we are no more bound by that.
God will never tell you to go and kill
Re: Following The Word Of God by jagunlabi(m): 7:11pm On Mar 11, 2010
Fhemmmy:

The part of the scriptures that you were refering to were in the Law of Moses and we are no more bound by that.
God will never tell you to go and kill
You mean that the bible god has changed his demeanour?I was under the impression that he never changes.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Fhemmmy: 7:14pm On Mar 11, 2010
jagunlabi:

You mean that the bible god has changed his demeanour?I was under the impression that he never changes.

He never changes, how he dealt with people of them is not same as how he deals with us.
At that time, people go to the priest to communicate with God, but now, we have direct access to God ourselves, God never changed, but He know how and best way to take us on
Re: Following The Word Of God by jagunlabi(m): 7:28pm On Mar 11, 2010
Fhemmmy:

He never changes, how he dealt with people of them is not same as how he deals with us.
At that time, people go to the priest to communicate with God, but now, we have direct access to God ourselves, God never changed, but He know how and best way to take us on
Alright then.The bible god did not change his ways towards the humans.He only "readjusted" the way he interracts with them, if i understood you correctly.Thank you very much for your wisdom.Now i understand.
Re: Following The Word Of God by Fhemmmy: 7:30pm On Mar 11, 2010
jagunlabi:

Alright then.The bible god did not change his ways towards the humans.He only "readjusted" the way he interracts with them, if i understood you correctly.Thank you very much for your wisdom.Now i understand.

I have no idea the god u talking about, but the God that i know never changed, cos He knows the end even before the start.
Re: Following The Word Of God by huxley(m): 8:55pm On Mar 11, 2010
toba:

Pls note the bolded and try to correlate them with these

Exodus 20
1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him

Theres no 'curse without a cause'

Toba,

If your brother, friend or neighbour worshipped a different god or no god at all, would you kill him?
Re: Following The Word Of God by manmustwac(m): 9:16pm On Mar 11, 2010
noetic16:

I honestly think it is unfair to link god with this. . . .why?. . .cos the dude did not reveal such revelation himself?. . . .a "pastor" claimed to have received such. . .what does one make of that?

why did the pastor not break the yoke? why give such an info without a remedy?
you have a point there but obviously the pastor would claim to get the information from god which means if the boy had got the information about his mother being behind his downfall from god himself he would've still tried to do the same thing and kill her
Re: Following The Word Of God by huxley(m): 9:20pm On Mar 11, 2010
InesQor:

Huxley, there are many problems with your troublesome question. You need to sort them out first.

1. Which God? Who? I will assume in the following discussion that you refer to the same God that I and other Christians call God.

2. How does God ask you to do stuff? I know how God talks to me, but in this case, can you expatiate on this?

3. After answering #2 above, please explain what you understand about how God passes instructions to man. Does He explain the reason for His instructions, or he just asks you to carry out his orders the way a taskmaster whips a slave into action?

4. Tell us, Huxley, are you like the WOF people who believe that God's plans can be limited by the non-compliance of a puny human being? And also, from the answer to my 1st Question above, is it the nature of GOD to make this kind of request? What is the nature of God?

5. This borders on what I asked in #2 above. Is it what you believe unflinchingly (de facto information) that is the truth (de jure information) about what God said? How do you factor in possible cases of mental, psychological imbalances and the corruption of sin, limned as religion?

6. Once again, I ask you, how are you certain about whatever you think/believe (de facto) that God told you, that it is accurate (de jure)?

7. Please answer the six questions above, and therein you will find your answer to the seventh. If you don't, I will return to tell you what I believe.

Hello,

I meant whichever god(s) anyone believes in and worships. So in the case of a Christian, that would be the god of the bible. The same god that asked Moses to kill many thousands of people on his behalf.

If this god asked you, in the same manner that he asked Moses, to kill your brother or friend, would you do it?
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 9:21pm On Mar 11, 2010
@manmustwac: There are deluded and misguided people everywhere. Not everything can be hanged upon religion's neck. Even atheists can be so-deluded.

@Huxley: Please answer my questions in individual context and don't dribble.
Re: Following The Word Of God by InesQor(m): 9:25pm On Mar 11, 2010
Huxley, your question fundamentally assumes that you understand how God interacts with us, the kind of information he passes across, how he passes it across, and the reasons why he does so.

So go ahead and answer my questions so I can get a better perspective of your question.

(1) (2) (Reply)

You'll Never Change Your Life Until You Change Your Choices. / Say The Word And See The Results / Boko Haram Bows Before Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.