Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (52923 Views)

Reverend Sisters Dance Kizz Daniel's 'Buga' (video) / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / Obituary Of Reverend Father Cyriacus Onunkwo, To Be Buried With His Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ekg911(m): 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
Deo1986:
you are contradicting yourself because we are seeing this post, secondly , we are not your fellow nairalanders.
what I'm talking about is that...I want to post as an Op
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Nigeriadondie: 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pidgin2:

You are not a Catholic, you are fake, every Catholic knows this or can easily ask a priest or cathcist, the intension behind this post is to mock us, you are a disgrace
Pidgin2 pls u need to go to school again. I am not sure u passed ur papers in WAEC especially English Language. How can u write ‘intension’ instead of ‘intention’?

So who is d disgrace now? Hope u wud not say it was an abbreviation or u blame it on ur phone common excuses u ve always used. I remember u wishing yourself ‘romanticism’ instead of ‘rheumatism’.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Nigeriadondie: 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pidgin2:

The Roman Catholic church provide orphanages, old people's homes, missionaries and many him and many humanitarian endeavors you must be anti Christian to post this nonsense. I'm sure you're a son of Satan
Also the Roman Catholic church have been behind most of the sexual abuses of kids over the years using innocent kids as outlets to satisfy kongi over their failure to stick to their self-imposed celibacy.

The Roman Catholic church played a shameful and murderous role in the barbaric genocide that took place in Rwanda.
Haiti a predominantly Carholic country is strongly entrenched in voodoo practices as people there often mix it with the Catholic faith they claim to profess not to talk of their wild carnivals filled with sexual orgies.
The wars of the nations ve never been incomplete without d role of Catholic chaplains who bless troops on opposing sides to commit bloodshed in the name of their god.

Not to talk of the filthy history of d catholic church were they fought blood thirsty crusades, killed Bible translators like William Tyndale and other individual who questioned the indulgences of the popes revered as gods.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by gemale(m): 8:25pm On Oct 19, 2017
Iamzik:

Those people don't go about with rosaries and pictures of their GO in their pockets.

They do not pray through their GO as well.

Why do you feel so inferior to pray to God through his son Jesus?

Why do you think Mary should pray to Jesus on your behalf and where did Jesus command this?

Any record of Peter or any of the apostles praying through Mary to Jesus?

Mary herself need salvation through Christ. She's not different from you. God used her like he can use you.

Do you know that if Mary had died without believing in Jesus she herself will go to hell? (Well that's another topic cos yours is purgatory! )?

Jesus will not share his power, throne and glory with Mary. Don't be deceived, Jesus is the only intercessor
Worship the creator and not the creature!
It is obvious you have no idea of what the catholic faith entails. All your accusations are obviously lies fed to you by untruthful elements hence I would try to see if it's possible to help you with the truth. Your 1st accusation reeks of ignorance. The rosary is a prayer focusing in the birth, earthly ministry, death & resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ in the joyful, luminous, sorrowful & glorious mysteries respectively; what you see us catholics carry is called a chaplet. We use the chaplet to pray the rosary so as to avoid miscounting & distraction. I carry it with me because I might be moved anytime to pray the rosary & other prayers like divine mercy prayer, devotion to the precious blood of Jesus & devotion to the Holy Spirit (other prayers the chaplet can be used to pray). Even though I have it offhand, i prefer to use the chaplet so as not to make mistakes while praying. The power lies in meditation & contemplating the prayer you say not in carrying the chaplet however I can't limit God. He can use anything to show His power. As to carrying pictures of my mother Mary, what is wrong in that? If we carry the the pictures of our loved ones around on our phones, wallets etc, why can't I carry something that reminds of the woman Jesus commended to the disciple He loved, the only apostle courageous enough to be at the foot of the cross to identify with Him in that shameful moment? Unless I'm rebellious to the Lord's wishes, Mary is my mother & i love her. Your 2nd false accusation; have you ever heard us say "in Mary's name we pray" or "we ask this through mary"? We pray in Jesus' name & ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. We don't pray through Mary. What we do is ask her to pray for us. Now what is wrong with that? You guys don't ask your pastors, GOs & even their wives to pray for you? Mary interceded on behalf of the couple wedding at Cana, Galilee & Jesus obeyed her even when His hour hadn't arrived. Why can't she do the same for me, her son? She knew who Jesus really was when all others saw a mere carpenter's son. She was the truest disciple Jesus had & teaches her children the same with these words "do whatever He (Jesus) tells you". She submitted to God to use her to bring Jesus into the world even though she was yet unmarried & by mosaic law, would have been stoned. While other disciples were jostling for who would be the greatest & sit at the Lord's right & left hand, she followed in silence. When others were nowhere to be found at the passion of our Lord & even peter denied Him, she was right there at the foot of the cross, partaking in the sufferings of our Lord. She was present in the upper room, tarrying in my prayer & received the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. Anyone who desires a close walk with Jesus in which self is interred & forgotten only has to look at the life of Mary & follow suit. Read scripture (Luke 1:48). All generations should call Mary blessed. We do that in the catholic church. We don't deify her or make her equal to Jesus. We just honour whom God 1st honoured in Genesis when He spoke about the woman whose seed is the enemy of the serpent & crushes his head. In revelations, God shows John a vision about her. Any true disciple of Christ should take Mary as his/her mother if not for anything, in obedience to the last words of our Lord as He hung on the cross. You don't know anything about catholic doctrines save hate tales told by people who hate catholics.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Iamzik: 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
gemale:

It is obvious you have no idea of what the catholic faith entails. All your accusations are obviously lies fed to you by untruthful elements hence I would try to see if it's possible to help you with the truth. Your 1st accusation reeks of ignorance. The rosary is a prayer focusing in the birth, earthly ministry, death & resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ in the joyful, luminous, sorrowful & glorious mysteries respectively; what you see us catholics carry is called a chaplet. We use the chaplet to pray the rosary so as to avoid miscounting & distraction. I carry it with me because I might be moved anytime to pray the rosary & other prayers like divine mercy prayer, devotion to the precious blood of Jesus & devotion to the Holy Spirit (other prayers the chaplet can be used to pray). Even though I have it offhand, i prefer to use the chaplet so as not to make mistakes while praying. The power lies in meditation & contemplating the prayer you say not in carrying the chaplet however I can't limit God. He can use anything to show His power. As to carrying pictures of my mother Mary, what is wrong in that? If we carry the the pictures of our loved ones around on our phones, wallets etc, why can't I carry something that reminds of the woman Jesus commended to the disciple He loved, the only apostle courageous enough to be at the foot of the cross to identify with Him in that shameful moment? Unless I'm rebellious to the Lord's wishes, Mary is my mother & i love her. Your 2nd false accusation; have you ever heard us say "in Mary's name we pray" or "we ask this through mary"? We pray in Jesus' name & ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. We don't pray through Mary. What we do is ask her to pray for us. Now what is wrong with that? You guys don't ask your pastors, GOs & even their wives to pray for you? Mary interceded on behalf of the couple wedding at Cana, Galilee & Jesus obeyed her even when His hour hadn't arrived. Why can't she do the same for me, her son? She knew who Jesus really was when all others saw a mere carpenter's son. She was the truest disciple Jesus had & teaches her children the same with these words "do whatever He (Jesus) tells you". She submitted to God to use her to bring Jesus into the world even though she was yet unmarried & by mosaic law, would have been stoned. While other disciples were jostling for who would be the greatest & sit at the Lord's right & left hand, she followed in silence. When others were nowhere to be found at the passion of our Lord & even peter denied Him, she was right there at the foot of the cross, partaking in the sufferings of our Lord. She was present in the upper room, tarrying in my prayer & received the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost. Anyone who desires a close walk with Jesus in which self is interred & forgotten only has to look at the life of Mary & follow suit. Read scripture (Luke 1:48). All generations should call Mary blessed. We do that in the catholic church. We don't deify her or make her equal to Jesus. We just honour whom God 1st honoured in Genesis when He spoke about the woman whose seed is the enemy of the serpent & crushes his head. In revelations, God shows John a vision about her. Any true disciple of Christ should take Mary as his/her mother if not for anything, in obedience to the last words of our Lord as He hung on the cross. You don't know anything about catholic doctrines save hate tales told by people who hate catholics.

Ok we don hear son of Mary.

Read the Bible and discover the truth for yourself.

We don't ask dead pastors or dead GOs to pray for us. Mary is dead and buried and will be resurrected to face her judge just like all who have passed away.

You don't need dead people to pray for you. Jesus said the holy Spirit is our intercessor and he himself is our spiritual high priest.

By the way, the Holy Spirit teaches and leads us to pray for things that are pressing on God's mind at the moment. How does your rosaries, burning candle /incense and premeditated, pre-printed, memorized, repetitive prayers help the holy Spirit leading us to pray?

The truth is before our naked eyes. It is my prayer that we will not just follow the multitude in order to 'belong' but we'll have the strength to seek God's revelation on how to worship him.

Organized religion (Catholic or protestant or Pentecostal) is not the key. Even in the days of Jesus,
he exposed the hypocrisy of big organized religious institutions. Knowing God for yourself personally is the key. God help us
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by watchwoman(f): 10:14pm On Oct 19, 2017
kay29000:
Hmm! This reminds me of a Lesbian lady that came to my church back in the day to speak to the youth about her story. She said at some point when her parents found out she was a lesbian, they sent her to a convent, and she said the Reverend sister they handed her over to was actually a lesbian too, and they became lovers. The lady's story was so interesting...it got me inspired to write series of books on Lesbians. Truth is stranger than fiction for real.
SMH at the parents, someone is a lesbian and you send her to a convent full of women, where is the wisdom in that?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by kay29000(m): 10:39pm On Oct 19, 2017
watchwoman:

SMH at the parents, someone is a lesbian and you send her to a convent full of women, where is the wisdom in that?

Lol! Abi o
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:28pm On Oct 20, 2017
QuietHammer:

What is their work IN THE CHURCH?
the Church is the congregation, the assembly, the ecclesia. caring for the sick and vulnerable is working in the church the body of Christ.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
ikorodureporta:
I always wonder when i see d nun attached to d priests during visitation hours. Both of dem ar always in d room as h & w..
nuns don't attached to priests.... they live separate lives

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:24pm On Oct 20, 2017
BluntBoy:

Why don't you provide evidence that Mary should be worshipped?

The Roman Catholic Church is evil. This evil church persecuted the real Christians in the past. This evil Church killed the likes of Tyndale, Wycliffe for daring to translate the Bible into the common people's language. Many other Christians like Rogers and Hus were also killed. King James IV and V (of the King James Version fame) was almost assassinated. What were the crimes of these men and other Christians that were persecuted by the evil Catholic Church?

are you aware Tyndale was actually killed by Anglicans, Wycliffe died a natural death, he was condemned for heresy post mortem

John Huss on the other hand was a Catholic priest who was found guilty of heresy hand was handed over to his country for punishment according to their laws. the punishment for heresy in Bohemia then was death.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by gemale(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2017
Iamzik:

We don't ask dead pastors or dead GOs to pray for us. Mary is dead and buried and will be resurrected to face her judge just like all who have passed away.

You don't need dead people to pray for you. Jesus said the holy Spirit is our intercessor and he himself is our spiritual high priest.

By the way, the Holy Spirit teaches and leads us to pray for things that are pressing on God's mind at the moment. How does your rosaries, burning candle /incense and premeditated, pre-printed, memorized, repetitive prayers help the holy Spirit leading us to pray?

The truth is before our naked eyes. It is my prayer that we will not just follow the multitude in order to 'belong' but we'll have the strength to seek God's revelation on how to worship him.

Organized religion (Catholic or protestant or Pentecostal) is not the key. Even in the days of Jesus,
he exposed the hypocrisy of big organized religious institutions. Knowing God for yourself personally is the key. God help us
I read the bible & intend to finish it in a year by God's grace. Go & read revelation 12. So you believe death is the end? It is just a rite of passage. Matthew 24:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, andthe God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." Yet Abraham, Isaac & Jacob were long dead. In John 11 when Jesus went to resurrect Lazarus, He said he was sleeping. Moses died yet appeared to Jesus on during the transfiguration. There is so much that you don't know yet you carry yourself like you are the fountain of knowledge. You don't know about the communion of saints;the church triumphant, the church militant & church suffering. You don't know that it's not just about you & God. We belong to a big family;you have numerous brothers, sisters & the hosts of heaven. Why can't you fellowship with them Ignoring this fact smacks of obsession with self.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2017
Halo22:
According to Martin-Luther king; you are not fit to do what you don't know the reason for doing. Am sorry but most roman catholics do not know the origin of their worship standard. They believe that it has been like that from begining and will remain like that forever. Am sure that if they visit Rome and see for real what they are copying, they will be forced to change denomination. But to their tent for now. I rest my case.

actually when a Catholic says his worship pattern has been so from the beginning he is right and can prove it historically through the writings of the church fathers from that period.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2017
BluntBoy:

Only God can make rules and break them. But you mere mortals, who told you to bow down to images? Or are you now comparing yourselves to God?
God can't be righteous if he breaks his own rules, or are you ignorant of the Holiness and perfection of God?
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by gemale(m): 11:34pm On Oct 20, 2017
Iamzik:

I read the bible & intend to finish it in a year by God's grace. Go & read revelation 12. So you believe death is the end? It is just a rite of passage. Matthew 24:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living." Yet Abraham, Isaac & Jacob were long dead. In John 11 when Jesus went to resurrect Lazarus, He said he was sleeping. Moses died yet appeared to Jesus on during the transfiguration. There is so much that you don't know yet you carry yourself like you are the fountain of knowledge. Don't you know that prayer isn't primarily tabling your needs? It's a line of communication. You don't know about the communion of saints;the church triumphant, the church militant & church suffering. You don't know that it's not just about you & God. We belong to a big family;you have numerous brothers, sisters & the hosts of heaven. Why can't you fellowship with them as you do with the brethren? Ignoring this fact smacks of obsession with self. I can bet you've never found out the words contained in the rosary. They are beautiful & scripturally inspired words that refreshes the memory of the things of God. Depending on how the Spirit ministers, meditation on the same mystery can bring to ones mind different themes eg meditating on the 1st sorrowful mystery (the agony in the garden) can bring to 1s remembrance how Jesus submitted to the will of God (suffering & death) regardless of how inconvenient it was or 1 can remember Jesus' warning to His disciples to watch & pray so as not to fall into temptation or "the Spirit is indeed willing but the flesh is weak" makes us realize that we should walk in the spirit not in the flesh. That's the Spirit teaching you what to pray for. Things like praying to submit to God's will, to overcome temptations & be spiritually alert, to be led by the Holy Spirit are prayers that God can't turn down because those are the things that takes 1 to heaven. You are asking in line with His will & seeking His kingdom 1st. You think prayer is by oratory, shouting
, twisting words, punchlines or throwing tantrums? No matter how glib or articulate you sound, if its not God's will, it wouldn't be granted. Why is the word of God ever new? It's still the same words, same genesis-revelation that has been there for almost 2 millennia yet it is always fresh. The Holy Spirit is the answer. He brings life & power to those words in scripture & He does same in prayer. He searches the deepest recesses of the heart. Burning candles & incense is a carryover from Judaism but also has some symbolism. In cases, it can serve as a reminder of keeping the light of faith burning or Christ our light, who dispels darkness in us. In the easter vigil, we see how 1 flame from 1 candle lights several candles. That shows that if well natured & spread, 1 person's faith can be used to inspire & lead many to God. Incense on the other hand can be used to signify prayer. If you studied scripture, you would remember the psalmist say that he wants his prayers to ascend to God like sweet smelling incense. Also in revelation, the prayer of the saints were represented as incense in John's visions. Why does it offend you? Meanwhile, tithing, a carryover from Judaism isn't frowned at despite the fact that the Jews don't practice that anymore because it was exclusively the inheritance of the descendants of Levi & they can no longer trace genealogy. I'm not catholic because I want to belong or follow multitudes. I have shared on nairaland several times how I once left the catholic church but returned after I extensively researched the doctrines of the catholic church, cross referencing them with scripture & found myself to be in the wrong. The priest that I was taken to for advice didn't tell me to stay in the catholic church. He told me he couldn't tell me what to believe & told me to found out more about the catholic church & i did. I decided myself to be a Catholic. Finally, you have a grouse against organization because you hate order. You want a laissez-faire system with no system of accountability? Go & read 1 corinthians 14. Our God is 1 of order. Chaos & confusion is not of Him. Look at Christianity today. Too many dissenting voices, so much schisms, strife & divisions. Is this the will of God? 1 sect or denomination says something; another contradicts it & both claim to be led by the same spirit & the other is wrong. Is this the unity among believers Jesus prayed for in John 17? You tell unbelievers about Jesus & they remark about the disunity among us with derision. As long as it is to His glory, order is okay. It is when it begins to create a hindrance in true worship of God that it calls for concern.
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by ikorodureporta: 11:54am On Oct 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
nuns don't attached to priests.... they live separate lives

u seem 2 b v knowledgbl, r u a priest
Re: What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:34pm On Oct 21, 2017
ikorodureporta:

u seem 2 b v knowledgbl, r u a priest
my dear been a religious or a priest has nothing to do with been a knowledgeable Catholic. anyone serious about his Catholic faith can easily be informed about it, it just entail seriousness.

the wahala with Catholics is that we don't know what we have and are nonchalant about finding out.

we are like kids we are given diamonds and we decide to use them for stoning practice because we didn't know it's value

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shiloh 2012: Double Portion:...DAY FOUR / Desmond Tutu's Ashes Buried Inside Church Floor (Pictures) / Music: Oruko Tuntun [new Name] ~ Tope Alabi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.