Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,873 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED (38865 Views)

Another Peter Obi Lie Busted. Twitter User Exposes Him And His Lie. / Peter Obis Lie Busted About His ICT Involvement In Anambra. Pic / "Lai Mohammed's Big Lie Busted" - By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by whatofyou: 7:05pm On Nov 05, 2017
[quote author=Rotimik post=62103441]

This is about correcting distorted history, misinformation and disinformation by Igbo propagandists about the 20 pounds policy and the sincerity of Awolowo. [/quote

HAHAHAHAHA

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by diadem10: 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You don't know where they sell Sniper, so you can end that "headache" forever, abi?

Who were the folks that spent "millions" on Biafran passport? Better carry your seething hatred and ignorance to whoever is willing to indulge you.

www.nairaland.com/2843216/biafran-passport-massob-defrauded-us

I guess those folks were my folks? Lol.

Very manipulative folks.

7 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by diadem10: 8:36pm On Nov 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

That would still put Nigeria's GDP per capita in 1970 still at over £110. And this reflected the general poverty considering a freshly hired graduate in the Nigerian civil service was earning about £72 a month. How did the absurd claim from that previous poster come about that £20 then was the equivalent of N600,000 today?

You should know he's not implying it literally but that what £20 could buy in those days is close to what N600,000 can buy today. It doesn't mean £20 amounts to N600,000.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by MrSly(m): 10:48pm On Nov 05, 2017
aribisala0:

I have many photos. Too

Shameless imbe...

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by honeychild(f): 8:02am On Nov 07, 2017
CrtlAltDel:

Let it sink into their skull….. Truth is coming out small small, just sit back and watch them tag you Afonja grin grin

I am actually Afonja grin grin. Married to a "Lagos Igbo" lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:57am On Nov 07, 2017
A lie can run for 100 years but the truth will overtake it with one step

We have demonstrated unequivocally the lies inherent in the £20 story and shown a Supreme Court Judgment to buttress our position while all they have is lies upon lies

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by laudate: 8:54am On Nov 08, 2017
joeyfire:

Another super ignorant, bitter, bottom-feeder. Even your brother has used plenty grammar to backtrack from his shame.

The ECOWAS Court has authoritatively silenced the wicked little pipsqueaks like you and rendered your opinion a shitty backward waste of time . N88 Billion (a conservative figure in my opinion) is what they awarded gbagam! Now go hang cool
When people like you cannot make rational logical comments, they resort to insults. It is now obvious to us how empty your brain cells are. Ndo. Get well soon. Don't let the hate inside you blind you from the truth.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 7:57pm On Nov 08, 2017
Twenty pound myth dead and buried finally

END OF DISCUSSION

FIN

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Duru1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 08, 2017
aribisala0:
This is the judgment in full.

It should be clear to any literate and rational pundit that this £20 was about exchange for those depositing Old notes and not Bank accounts

Please grow some brain cells. The case you posted has absolute no bearing with the decision of federal government of Nigeria to pay 20 pounds to any Igbo depositor who had proof of certain amount of money in banks in Nigeria before the war.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:36pm On Nov 08, 2017
Duru1:

Please grow some brain cells. The case you posted has absolute no bearing with the decision of federal government of Nigeria to pay 20 pounds to any Igbo depositor who had proof of certain amount of money in banks in Nigeria before the war.
Because that narrative did not happen it is pure fiction.

You post something to prove it did

Speak with evidence or renew the friendship between your lips .I wonder why they are always separated id disharmony.

5 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Duru1(m): 8:43pm On Nov 08, 2017
aribisala0:

Because that narrative did not happen it is pure fiction.

You post something to prove it did

Speak with evidence or renew the friendship between your lips .I wonder why they are always separated id disharmony.

What dumbass evidence do you need? If the federal government did not issue 20 pounds to Ndigbo with proof of deposit, what silly stream of thought drove you to open a thread on the issue? Are you fiction dweller or do you think nairaland is a comedy joint?
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2017
Duru1:

What dumbass evidence do you need? If the federal government did not issue 20 pounds to Ndigbo with proof of deposit, what silly stream of thought drove you to open a thread on the issue? Are you fiction dweller or do you think nairaland is a comedy joint?
Barking loudly does not an argument make it only reveals ancestry if ever there was doubt

7 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GoldenChiddy: 1:42am On Nov 09, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted within the igbo-British community. Have a look at the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZjPkvP-C8&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by nku5: 3:56am On Nov 09, 2017
aribisala0:

The long and short this PhD thesis is that a man was trying in 1970 to get New Nigerian Pound Notes in exchange for old notes that had ceased to be legal tender in 1968 as well as for some Biafran pound notes. It is nothing to do with money held in an account before the war
Some speculators were deceived that they would be allowed to exchange old notes at parity and spent fortunes buying the old notes at reduced rates.
In other to mop up the Old Nigerian pound notes the Government allowed people to pay them into the Central Bank after the war and some foolishly believed they would get exchange at parity

Paying into the Central Bank is not paying into a coercial bank account

This is a whole new level of low for the likes of you. So Enweozor who submitted his 22,000 pounds as requested by the CBN was a speculator?

1. The Gowon/Awo government DELIBERATELY introduced the policy at the beginning of the war in 1967 for ALL holders of Nigerian Pounds to exchange them and get New ones. Unless you want to be smart by half it is not rocket science to decipher the motivation for this policy....Of course the Igbo civilians in the war zone were the target.

2. The Gowon/Awo government knowing Igbos were busy trying to survive in the war zone gave a timeframe that soon elapsed for the exchange of currency but the CBN in 1969/1970 still reached out and
accepted old Nigerian Pounds. The courts conveniently (Enweozor's case) disowned the CBN and held that the East Central State (created by Gowon/Awo) was not part of the currency exchange exercise Despite the rhetoric of one Nigeria. See the cheap wickedness

OP was so desperate and eager that he shot himself in the arse trying to be a revisionist. He has proven the fact that there was not even a 20 pound compensation for Igbos after the war that he first tried to justify. Igbo monies in value were either appropriated or simply rendered valueless as an economic weapon. You are a weak revisionist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:20am On Nov 09, 2017
nku5:

This is a whole new level of low for the likes of you. So Enweozor who submitted his 22,000 pounds as requested by the CBN was a speculator?

1. The Gowon/Awo government DELIBERATELY introduced the policy at the beginning of the war in 1967 for ALL holders of Nigerian Pounds to exchange them and get New ones. Unless you want to be smart by half it is not rocket science to decipher the motivation for this policy....Of course the Igbo civilians in the war zone were the target.

2. The Gowon/Awo government knowing Igbos were busy trying to survive in the war zone gave a timeframe that soon elapsed for the exchange of currency but the CBN in 1969/1970 still reached out and
accepted old Nigerian Pounds. The courts conveniently (Enweozor's case) disowned the CBN and held that the East Central State (created by Gowon/Awo) was not part of the currency exchange exercise Despite the rhetoric of one Nigeria. See the cheap wickedness

OP was so desperate and eager that he shot himself in the arse trying to be a revisionist. He has proven the fact that there was not even a 20 pound compensation for Igbos after the war that he first tried to justify. Igbo monies in value were either appropriated or simply rendered valueless as an economic weapon. You are a weak revisionist.

r
I do not know about Enweozor being a speculator he could have been. Many weree.

The fact is Enweozor submitted OLD NOTES that were no longer legal tender.
The CBN did its job in removing them from circulation .They are CBN property
The courts upheld the law.If you are too lazy to read that is YOUR PROBLEM.

The law exempted the East Central state and the Court merely upheld it ,
Why was it necessary in the first place Ojukwu had looted the banks and was using the money to fund his war against the government.Was the government to sit idly while he did that?
Also most people changed their Nigerian notes for Biafran notes.
After the war some people were DECEIVED that the old notes would still be redeemed and were buying for as much as 1:10 whether that is the case of Enweozor I have no idea. Nigeria being what it is all kinds of people would have old notes from all kinds of places.Who knows?
The point here is £20 was given as an ex gratia payment for Biafran notes and NOT money in bank accounts
If you want to debate the fairness of the law and the CBN action that is a legitimate issue but NOTHING TO DO with the £20 issue.

They are very DIFFERENT matters

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 2:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
Tenty pound lies dead and buried

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 2:52pm On Nov 19, 2017
nigeriancritic1:

Igbos are still paying reparation in kind for starting that war
Which is normal

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by nigeriancritic1(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:
Which is normal
How normal?
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 3:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
nigeriancritic1:

How normal?
Very Normal.

It is a reflection ofwhat human nature is like in reality

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 3:11pm On Nov 19, 2017
joeyfire:

What a petty, poorly researched, illogical post grin

These ppl don't care how ridiculous they sound in their attempts to re-write igbo history.

A loaf of bread was 53 pence in 1970 so it means the Igbos were compensated with equivalent of 40 loaves of bread grin Such a wonderful generous gesture by Awo. grin

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/05/health.drugsandalcohol

The wickedness and dishonesty that inspired this sort of propaganda topic is deserving of scientific research walahi.

OP try harder next time

You are a BIG LIAR!

When we're you born. I still remember as a child, a loaf of bread going for 10kobo (0.5 Schilling) in 1980 .

As a Pre-school pupil at the time, my pocket money used to be 5 Kobo which would fetch me a bowl of beans and plantain.

7 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 3:17pm On Nov 19, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

That would still put Nigeria's GDP per capita in 1970 still at over £110. And this reflected the general poverty considering a freshly hired graduate in the Nigerian civil service was earning about £72 a month. How did the absurd claim from that previous poster come about that £20 then was the equivalent of N600,000 today?

Minimum wage in the civil service was 12 pounds. No graduate earned up to 72 pounds until much later.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 3:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
Rotimik:

You are a BIG LIAR!

When we're you born. I still remember as a child, a loaf of bread going for 10kobo (0.5 Schilling) in 1980 .

As a Pre-school pupil at the time, my pocket money used to be 5 Kobo which would fetch me a bowl of beans and plantain.
Lying is in their DNA .
When the Pound was changed it was 1 pound for two naira so he is telling us in 1970 a loaf of bread was ONE NAIRA

7 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by joeyfire(m): 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2017
Rotimik:

You are a BIG LIAR!

aribisala0:

Lying is in their DNA .
When the Pound was changed it was 1 pound for two naira so he is telling us in 1970 a loaf of bread was ONE NAIRA

Rotimik:

You are a BIG LIAR!

Pathetic plonkers grin By una sef you exposed the people who embrace lying as a culture. 0.5 Shillings in nursery school my arse grin

So I should ignore The Guardian UK and buy your childish fable?
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 8:52pm On Nov 25, 2017
Twenty pound lie dead and buried.Flat-heads shamed and silenced.Forever

Amen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by KemjikaEme: 12:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
[quote author=PoolBuilder post=62053963] Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/obafemi-awolowo-archives/exclusive-chief-obafemi-awolowo-on-biafra-in-his-own-words.html

TWENTY POUNDS POLICY

That’s what I did, and the case of the money they said was not given back to them, you know during the war all the pounds were looted, they printed Biafran currency notes, which they circulated, at the close of the war some people wanted their Biafran notes to be exchanged for them. Of course I couldn’t do that, if I did that the whole country would be bankrupt. We didn’t know about Biafran notes and we didn’t know on what basis they have printed them, so we refused the Biafran note, but I laid down the principle that all those who had savings in the banks on the eve of the declaration of the Biafran war or Biafra, will get their money back if they could satisfy us that they had the savings there, or the money there. Unfortunately, all the banks’s books had been burnt, and many of the people who had savings there didn’t have their saving books or their last statement of account, so a panel had to be set up.

!.On no occasion did awo state that people fleeing pogroms transferred or took their savings back home, a person fleeing killers has no time
for such matters and the policy was predicated on the looted pounds in central bank branches,do individuals save money in Central bank branches?

2.In the sceond Bolded part , its either Awo was a dimwit or reveled in stupidity,"all the banks’s books had been burnt", All which banks, the banks in Lagos, Kano, Ibadan, Maiduguri, jos etc books were burnt, the savings of Igbo Soldiers, Policemen, railway workers,teachers etc
An impossible statement, if Bank books could get burnt , how do expect people who passed through years of hell to produce passbooks or statements of account,unless someone has passed a tumbler of stupidity to you.

It is quite unfortunate that a search on this issue has Nairaland as its top source, sowing the seeds of ignorance with the confidence of
donald Trump

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/usaafricadialogue/nzQaJ3uhoOI

THE CASE OF ENWEZOR V. CBN REVISITED.

“I write with reference to your letter (Ref – FRAW/AO/CB/11/71 of 8th October, 1971 to inform you that your client’s entitlement as a depositor was £20 ex gratia award authorized by the Federal Government”

Signed by E. N. ISONG
Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria

As applied by the Supreme Court of Nigeria in the celebrated case of CHIEF J. J. ENWEOZOR V. CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (1976)1 ALL NLR PAGE 252 AT PAGE 256.

This letter, dated the 18th day of October, 1971, signed by E. N. ISONG, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, addressed to Chief F. R. A. Williams, an eminent Nigerian Lawyer, is a reply to Chief F. R. A. Williams enquiry from the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria why his Client, Chief J. J. Enweozor, described as a Nigeria citizen ordinarily resident in Onitsha, who in response to the CBN’s directive “on the 7th of April, 1970, paid to your bank the sum of £26,659 (Twenty Six Thousand, Six Hundred and Fifty Nine pounds) as per receipt no ESOO5055 dated 7/4/70 in old Nigerian currency notes” is yet to be paid his money in the new currency.

The shameful story is a stressed fact in Nigerian History. Yet it always compels repetition. The fact is that after Chief J. J. Enweozor and his Biafran folks, having been mercilessly massacred in all parts of Nigeria, particularly, the North, a savage and barbaric genocide unleashed on them, ‘shooting of everything that moves’, applied as a doctrine against them, starvation employed to annihilate the unborn and the children, Gowon, the Nigeria head of State, the architect of their woes, was so kind and so zealous in reconciling with, and rehabilitating them that he gratuitously offered them from the milk of his Gowon – Nigerian heart, a gratuitous £20 (Twenty) pounds in exchange of any amount whatsoever they had ever earned within the Nigeria context.

Of course, neither Chief Enweozor nor his coun

sel, Chief FRA Williams of blessed memory was impressed by this Nigerian-brand of benevolence. Consequently they sought remedy from the court, the supposed last hope for the common man.

This is the final words on the subject matter. Till tomorrow,people will twist narratives and revise history to satisfy their animosity,bitterness and resentment of the Igbo people.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by omonnakoda: 4:29am On Jan 30, 2018
Choi shocked shocked shocked
So this Twenty pound yarn na lie after all

5 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:03am On Jan 30, 2018
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

Let us assume their were one million of them =£20million Nigerian

We know that the Nigerian pound exchanged for £2 pounds sterling in 1970 so
that would be £40 million . What would that be worth today

according to this inflation calculator

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
it would be
£432612859. Sterling
Not sure what sterling is doing these days but @ 475

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way.The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist. There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

I dnt even understand what you are trying to do or say hear....so do many others...are you saying the 20 pounds were too much or were not given....what is ingrate about it there...you talk of northeast, what of us the Niger delta? what happen to the ogoni cleannup fund? so 1 bilion dollars should be used to fight boko haram, was such funds used during the south east 3Rs? wa there anything like south east development commission, but the bill's for the establishment of the north east development commission has passed the third reading...so 20 pounds was not free money given but all there individual savings each adult have in their account..simple
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by omonnakoda: 12:07am On Feb 01, 2018
valentineuwakwe:

I dnt even understand what you are trying to do or say hear....so do many others...are you saying the 20 pounds were too much or were not given....what is ingrate about it there...you talk of northeast, what of us the Niger delta? what happen to the ogoni cleannup fund? so 1 bilion dollars should be used to fight boko haram, was such funds used during the south east 3Rs? wa there anything like south east development commission, but the bill's for the establishment of the north east development commission has passed the third reading...so 20 pounds was not free money given but all there individual savings each adult have in their account..simple
What account
Show us one bank book

Nobody has a bank book today?

Not one?

Stop the lies
How many banks were in Nigeria? How many branches.

Can you name one person that has come out to say he was denied money in his account and shown evidence?

NOT ONE

it is a lie
The truth is Biafrans went East and gave Ojuiku their Nigeria pound notes in exchange for Biafra pounds. He took their money and squandered it.
After the war the Nigeria government out of the goodness of their hearts exchanged the useless Barack notes for Nigerian money

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:22am On Feb 01, 2018
omonnakoda:

What account
Show us one bank book

Nobody has a bank book today?

Not one?

Stop the lies
How many banks were in Nigeria? How many branches.

Can you name one person that has come out to say he was denied money in his account and shown evidence?

NOT ONE

it is a lie
The truth is Biafrans went East and gave Ojuiku their Nigeria pound notes in exchange for Biafra pounds. He took their money and squandered it.
After the war the Nigeria government out of the goodness of their hearts exchanged the useless Barack notes for Nigerian money

ok.thanks for the information

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by omonnakoda: 7:25am On Feb 01, 2018
valentineuwakwe:

ok.thanks for the information
You should apologise for what you said earlier

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by PFRB: 9:17am On Feb 01, 2018
Revisionism will take you nowhere.
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by MrNigeria2018: 10:21am On Feb 01, 2018
meccuno:
i think it is highly insensitive for you to play with a matter like this that involves lost ones and material things worked for by a people who lost everything. i know some times we come online to say very bad things about other tribes. a joke it is and only online. but for you to go down this level of using pictures of children begging for food tells alot about you as a person,your tribe and the type of training you have if any. the reason for this post is for only one thing to ridicule the igbo people. there are things you dont joke with. and this is one of them. the universe has laws and you are breaking one of them. i hope the same fate that befell the people whose picture you are making jest of wont haunt you one day. yy then you would really know how it feels to loose everything and be cheated. i leave you to your conscience if you have any.

Rubbish

The people your kinsmen killed in that senseless war had their family too...

You started a war that could have been avoided and started crying when your stupid ass was whipped.

Get the Bleep out of here you freaking scumbag

It’s annoying to see these Igbos coming online to rant about what they started.

Are you blind not to see where Ojukwu was bragging about what will befall Nigeria in case of a war? The video is on YouTube

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Hamza Al-mustapha’s 2019 Presidential Campaign Poster Surfaces / Tinubu Visited By John Bray, US Consular General At His Lagos Residence (pics) / #EndSARS: Desmond Elliot Reacts To Judicial Panel Report (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.