Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,247 members, 7,818,839 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read (13393 Views)

My Senior Colleague Stole My Money In The Office / My Experience With My Boss At The Office Today. / 7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Habyz(m): 8:44am On Nov 01, 2017
We keep saying the economy is bad when we are not ready to work. To think that you could even compose a manual on "how to look busy when you're really doing nothing" is nauseating.
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by femi4: 9:12am On Nov 01, 2017
umarfantami:
THE TITLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN "10 WAYS TO LOSS lose YOUR JOB"
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by spreado(m): 9:20am On Nov 01, 2017
Well people complaining, you dont have to make this your everyday life at the office, sometimes you are less busy and this will come in handy if you are not ready for more work
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by soarhey(m): 9:39am On Nov 01, 2017
Send important e-mail at unearthly hours (i.e. 9:35 p.m., 7:05 a.m., etc.) and during public holidays.

This got me really laughing.

Just like the writer said. Pray that your boss is not privilege to this information.

I just smile and walk away when i see people practicing this gospel in my office.

Once in a while when you ask "I want a report of what each of you have done/achieved today". you get just two/three lines meaningful things.
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by newslifeop: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2017
Oh
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Donchyke007(m): 10:14am On Nov 01, 2017
This one na better eye service employee...Hypocrites everywhere!
Dandsome:
These days, bosses can give people work for Africa. And as the economy be, no bode de send you to even give you extra pay. Well, man no go kill himself as body no be fire wood.

Below or items to do in the office to show you`re working.

Pray your boss is not a Nairalander, if not all I`ll say is ABORT MISSION grin grin grin

Here we go:-

1. Never walk around without a document:
People with documents look like hardworking employees headed to important meetings. People with nothing in their hands look like they are headed for the cafeteria. People with newspapers in their hands look like they are headed for the toilet. Above all, make sure you carry loads of stuff home with you at night, thus generating the false impression that you work longer hours than you really do.

2. Use computers to look busy:
Any time you use a computer, it looks like "work" to the casual observer. (Never you use your phone to do office work in the office. No matter how sleek and fine your HTC, Phantom 8, iPhoneX or Xiaomi phone is) You can send and receive personal e-mail, update Facebook status, chat and have a blast on Twitter and other social networks without doing anything remotely related to work. These aren't exactly the societal benefits that the proponents of the computer revolution would like to talk about, but they are not bad either. When you get caught by your boss - and you will get caught - your best defence is to claim that you are teaching yourself to use new software, thus saving valuable training expenses.

3. Have a messy desk:
Only top management can get away with a clean desk. For the rest of us, it looks like we're not working hard enough. Build huge piles of documents around your workspace. To the observer, last year's work looks the same as today's work; it's volume that counts. Pile papers and files high and wide. Not all things should be kept carelessly o. If you use N128k to buy the phantom 8, nobody needs to tell you to be careful with it. If you know somebody is coming to your cubicle, bury the document you'll need halfway down in an existing stack and rummage for it when he/she arrives.

4. Don’t always pick your call and use voicemail:
Rarely pick your call and use voicemail most times. People don't call you just because they want to give you something for nothing - they call because they want you to do work for them. That is no way to live. Screen all your calls through voicemail. If somebody leaves a message for you and it sounds like impending work, respond during lunch hour when you know they are not there - it looks like you are hardworking and conscientious even though you're being a devious weasel.

5. Look impatient and annoyed:
According to George Costanza, you should always try to look impatient and annoyed to give off the impression that you are always busy.

6. Leave the office late:
Always leave the office late, especially when the boss is still around. (Not too late o before the bad guys will rob you of your new iPhone or your samsung Note 8 on your way home. That is if you live in bad neighborhood. Unless you drive home.). You could read magazines and storybooks that you always wanted to read. Make sure you walk past the boss' room on your way out. Send important e-mail at unearthly hours (i.e. 9:35 p.m., 7:05 a.m., etc.) and during public holidays.

7. Creative sighing for effect:

Sigh loudly when there are many people around, giving the impression that you are under extreme pressure.

8. Have a stacking strategy:
It's not enough to pile documents on the table. Put lots of books on the floor (thick computer manuals are the best), etc.

9. Build your vocabulary:
Read up on some computer magazines and pick out all the jargon and new products. Use the phrases freely when in conversation with bosses. Remember; they don't have to understand what you are saying, but you sure sound impressive.

10. Do not forward this to your boss:
Except you have found a new job, do not forward this Gospel to your boss by mistake.

Add yours
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Chigorkizz(m): 10:52am On Nov 01, 2017
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Behankey(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2017
Bad advice eh! Lol...Just get busy. If you're lazy, resign grin
Op, phantom 8 na 128k? For where abeg?
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by TappGroupNG: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
I think its slot
Behankey:
Bad advice eh! Lol...Just get busy. If you're lazy, resign grin
Op, phantom 8 na 128k? For where abeg?
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by onyeomanono24(f): 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2017
This OP na bad guy. grin grin
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by jibs4lv(m): 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2017
Irony! Some are crying of no job while some have job and creating lazy entity method.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Behankey(m): 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2017
TappGroupNG:
I think its slot
Oh, cool. Will I have to preorder or it is readily available now?
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by EfikoFreelance: 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2017
grin Makes sense!
Dandsome:
These days, bosses can give people work for Africa. And as the economy be, no bode de send you to even give you extra pay. Well, man no go kill himself as body no be fire wood.

Below or items to do in the office to show you`re working.

Pray your boss is not a Nairalander, if not all I`ll say is ABORT MISSION grin grin grin

Here we go:-

1. Never walk around without a document:
People with documents look like hardworking employees headed to important meetings. People with nothing in their hands look like they are headed for the cafeteria. People with newspapers in their hands look like they are headed for the toilet. Above all, make sure you carry loads of stuff home with you at night, thus generating the false impression that you work longer hours than you really do.

2. Use computers to look busy:
Any time you use a computer, it looks like "work" to the casual observer. (Never you use your phone to do office work in the office. No matter how sleek and fine your HTC, Phantom 8, iPhoneX or Xiaomi phone is) You can send and receive personal e-mail, update Facebook status, chat and have a blast on Twitter and other social networks without doing anything remotely related to work. These aren't exactly the societal benefits that the proponents of the computer revolution would like to talk about, but they are not bad either. When you get caught by your boss - and you will get caught - your best defence is to claim that you are teaching yourself to use new software, thus saving valuable training expenses.

3. Have a messy desk:
Only top management can get away with a clean desk. For the rest of us, it looks like we're not working hard enough. Build huge piles of documents around your workspace. To the observer, last year's work looks the same as today's work; it's volume that counts. Pile papers and files high and wide. Not all things should be kept carelessly o. If you use N128k to buy the phantom 8, nobody needs to tell you to be careful with it. If you know somebody is coming to your cubicle, bury the document you'll need halfway down in an existing stack and rummage for it when he/she arrives.

4. Don’t always pick your call and use voicemail:
Rarely pick your call and use voicemail most times. People don't call you just because they want to give you something for nothing - they call because they want you to do work for them. That is no way to live. Screen all your calls through voicemail. If somebody leaves a message for you and it sounds like impending work, respond during lunch hour when you know they are not there - it looks like you are hardworking and conscientious even though you're being a devious weasel.

5. Look impatient and annoyed:
According to George Costanza, you should always try to look impatient and annoyed to give off the impression that you are always busy.

6. Leave the office late:
Always leave the office late, especially when the boss is still around. (Not too late o before the bad guys will rob you of your new iPhone or your samsung Note 8 on your way home. That is if you live in bad neighborhood. Unless you drive home.). You could read magazines and storybooks that you always wanted to read. Make sure you walk past the boss' room on your way out. Send important e-mail at unearthly hours (i.e. 9:35 p.m., 7:05 a.m., etc.) and during public holidays.

7. Creative sighing for effect:

Sigh loudly when there are many people around, giving the impression that you are under extreme pressure.

8. Have a stacking strategy:
It's not enough to pile documents on the table. Put lots of books on the floor (thick computer manuals are the best), etc.

9. Build your vocabulary:
Read up on some computer magazines and pick out all the jargon and new products. Use the phrases freely when in conversation with bosses. Remember; they don't have to understand what you are saying, but you sure sound impressive.

10. Do not forward this to your boss:
Except you have found a new job, do not forward this Gospel to your boss by mistake.

Add yours
Re: 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read by Phyde: 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2017
agabusta:

Supported with some serious typing, no one can doubt your busyness grin
And also supported with unnecessary docs in front of you grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okorocha Grants Imo Workers 2 Weeks Holiday / Life As A Consultant... / Nigerian Navy New Doctors Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.