Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,955 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party (7119 Views)

Is This Funniest Political Party Name Ever? / Police Intercepts 850 Cutlasses Smuggled Into Katsina By Political Party / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by niceG: 5:37pm On Mar 18, 2010
Hope Wole Soyinka (my role model) won't let me down.
Anyway I believe in him
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 18, 2010
Sky Blue:

And why do you assume that being a social critic and being a good leader are mutually exclusive? If that is the foundation of your arguement then permit me to have the opinion that it is very weak and lacking in substance. You have not even heard him speak on the substantial issues he wishes to tackle and most importantly how he wishes to tackle them, but you already conclude he would make a bad leader because he is a social critic?? ?
my arguement may be weak but atleast you can understand that i'm making a point.soyinka was not the only person that was induced after taking going into partisan politics.so also are tai solarin,tam david west,boalji akinyemi,funmi odubekun of NTA and so many others who compromised what they believed and stood for.now tell me what moral does soyinka have to question the regime of ibb.when last did you see prof confront ibb.he cant because of the mistake he did back then and that was why he remained a very strong opposition to obj regime.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by SkyBlue1: 5:52pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

my arguement may be weak but atleast you can understand that i'm making a point.soyinka was not the only person that was induced after taking going into partisan politics.so also are tai solarin,tam david west,boalji akinyemi,funmi odubekun of NTA and so many others who compromised what they believed and stood.now tell what moral does soyinka has to question the regime of ibb.when last did you see prof confront ibb.he cant because of the mistake he did back then and that was why he remained a very strong opposition to obj regime.

I don't like repeating myself.

Sky Blue:

And why do you assume that being a social critic and being a good leader are mutually exclusive? If that is the foundation of your arguement then permit me to have the opinion that it is very weak and lacking in substance. You have not even heard him speak on the substantial issues he wishes to tackle and most importantly how he wishes to tackle them, but you already conclude he would make a bad leader because he is a social critic?? ?
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 18, 2010
@sky blue**can you please tell me a social critic you know of preferably in nigeria that have performed well as a politician to further augment your arguement,please?.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by tkb417(m): 6:04pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

@sky blue**can you please tell me a social critic you know of preferably in nigeria that have performed well as a politician to further augment your arguement,please?.
Awolowo
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by SkyBlue1: 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

No offence but I don't feel like going to do research for you. You want to draw a conclusion when you have not even heard the proposal? You still haven't answered the question.

Sky Blue:

Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by H2O2: 6:16pm On Mar 18, 2010
Yea whatever! It would be run by a posse of crooked and corrupt politicians so what difference does it make? Pssh
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2010
chief jeremiah obafemi oyeniyi Awolowo SAN GCFRJeremiah Obafemi,the asiwaju of Remo,asiwaju of yorubaland,apesin of osogbo,lisa of jeun,abeokuta and odole of ile-ife among many other titles was a NATIONALIST and not a critic.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by tkb417(m): 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

chief jeremiah obafemi oyeniyi Awolowo SAN GCFRJeremiah Obafemi,the asiwaju of Remo,asiwaju of yorubaland,apesin of osogbo,lisa of jeun,abeokuta and odole of ile-ife among many other titles was a NATIONALIST and not a critic.
hehehehehe
was he born a nationalist?
hahaha
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 18, 2010
tkb417:

hehehehehe
was he born a nationalist?
hahaha

he was among the founding fathers of nigeria and he was a FULL TIME POLITICIAN like zik and bello
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by TewMuch: 6:33pm On Mar 18, 2010
shocked shocked shocked
I LIKE THIS!!! I WANT TO VOTE!!! where can i sign up as a volunteer sef. PDP needs credible parties to run against it this upcoming election. Parties that can cry fowl, very very loudly when EWU is at work manipulating numbers grin angry. This 2011 is going to be the best election year ever. Change is coming.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by ddiamond(f): 7:19pm On Mar 18, 2010
TewMuch:

shocked shocked shocked
I LIKE THIS!!! I WANT TO VOTE!!! where can i sign up as a volunteer sef. PDP needs credible parties to run against it this upcoming election. Parties that can cry fowl, very very loudly when EWU is at work manipulating numbers grin angry. This 2011 is going to be the best election year ever. Change is coming.

am with you,
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Kilode1: 8:27pm On Mar 18, 2010
There is a gross lack of knowledge about politics and who a politician is in Nigeria, I blame that on the long years of military rule, and their attempt to keep the population in ignorance and under control i.e they removed simple civic education from the school curricula in the 80s & 90s.

Coupled with what we've seen in the last decades, that is why a lot of us are cynical. Soyinka has always been a politician, a social critic can by extention be political, MLk, Ghandi, even Rush Limbaugh in the US, it is not necessary to form a party and you can form one also to put pressure on govt or create a larger platform for your cause, you don't even have to win a single seat, pressure groups are an integral part of politics?

They can form a party(labour and green party in the western world) or align with other parties. Unfortunately, most of us grew up to know politicians as big men with agbadas and suits who occupy political offices. They've really messed with our head in this country. I see hope though.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by biina: 8:31pm On Mar 18, 2010
So it is at 75 that he feels he has something to offer Nigerian politics? undecided
Must he form his own party before he can contribute? undecided
The guys should stick to his activism and criticism chores.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by biina: 8:34pm On Mar 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

There is a gross lack of knowledge about politics and who a politician is in Nigeria, I blame that on the long years of military rule, and their attempt to keep the population in ignorance and under control i.e they removed simple civic education from the school curricula in the 80s & 90s.

Coupled with what we've seen in the last decades, that is why a lot of us are cynical. Soyinka has always been a politician, a social critic can by extention be political, MLk, Ghandi, even Rush Limbaugh in the US, it is not necessary to form a party and you can form one also to put pressure on govt or create a larger platform for your cause, you don't even have to win a single seat, pressure groups are an integral part of politics?

They can form a party(labour and green party in the western world) or align with other parties. Unfortunately, most of us grew up to know politicians as big men with agbadas and suits who occupy political offices. They've really messed with our head in this country. I see hope though.
I beg do not abuse the use of the word 'politician'.
Definition
1 : a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
2(a) : a person engaged in party politics as a profession
(b) : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 8:39pm On Mar 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

olodo.does carrying placards automatically makes you a politician?
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Kilode1: 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2010
biina:

Definition
1 : a person experienced in the art or science of government; especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
(b) : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons

"Soyinka has always been a politician, a social critic can by extention be political, MLk, Ghandi, even Rush Limbaugh in the US, it is not necessary to form a party and you can form one also to put pressure on govt or create a larger platform for your cause, you don't even have to win a single seat, pressure groups are an integral part of politics?"

I believe I have expressed my thoughts as well as I can in the post above. Taking a literary. short, or narrow dictionary definition will not adequately flesh out the meaning of very broad concepts like politics or politician.

POLITICS
1 a : the art or science of government b : the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy c : the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government
2 : political actions, practices, or policies
3 a : political affairs or business; especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) b : political life especially as a principal activity or profession c : political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices
4 : the political opinions or sympathies of a person
5 a : the total complex of relations between people living in society [/b]b : [b]relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view <office politics> <ethnic politics>

Doing any of the above puts you squarely in the realm of politics, even a mere interest, either as a critic on TV, Nairaland, or in the house of assembly makes you a politician. studying it as in 1(a) makes you a politician, we can play with the word as long as we want but the bottom line is that; politics isn't only about party politics and critics too are political. So, by extension they are politicians. Wole Soyinka forming a political party is an extension of what he's spent the better part of his life doing.

He has a stated agenda to remove Iwu and reform the electoral process or get a sovereign national conference started, the same political ideas he's always canvassed for. they are "narrow" ideas because they do not cover every political interest in the polity and not everybody will agree with him, but that is what he's pushing. He has always been a politician. Forming a party now did not just transform him into one.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Kilode1: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

olodo.does carrying placards automatically makes you a politician?
you don't have to throw insults, that comes off as childish, although I find the word "olodo" very funny, anyway, my response and clarification is above.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by 3kay945(m): 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2010
Some of you guys need to get at lease a degree befor posting nonsense here wit your shallow thinking capacity,
Am sure if JESUS comes down here to contest election. U will rubbish hm with your post,
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by 3kay945(m): 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2010
Some of you guys need to get at lease a degree befor posting nonsense here wit your shallow thinking capacity,
Am sure if JESUS comes down here to contest election. U will rubbish hm with your post,
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2010
Kilode?!:

"Soyinka has always been a politician, a social critic can by extention be political, MLk, Ghandi, even Rush Limbaugh in the US, it is not necessary to form a party and you can form one also to put pressure on govt or create a larger platform for your cause, you don't even have to win a single seat, pressure groups are an integral part of politics?"

I believe I have expressed my thoughts as well as I can in the post above. Taking a literary. short, or narrow dictionary definition will not adequately flesh out the meaning of very broad concepts like politics or politician.

POLITICS
1 a : the art or science of government b : the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy c : the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government
3 a : political affairs or business; especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) b : political life especially as a principal activity or profession c : political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices
5 a : the total complex of relations between people living in society [/b]b : [b]relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view <office politics> <ethnic politics>

Doing any of the above puts you squarely in the realm of politics, even a mere interest, either as a critic on TV, Nairaland, or in the house of assembly makes you a politician. studying it as in 1(a) makes you a politician, we can play with the word as long as we want but the bottom line is that; politics isn't only about party politics and critics too are political. So, by extension they are politicians. Wole Soyinka forming a political party is an extension of what he's spent the better part of his life doing.

He has a stated agenda to remove Iwu and reform the electoral process or get a sovereign national conference started, the same political ideas he's always canvassed for. they are "narrow" ideas because they do not cover every political interest in the polity and not everybody will agree with him, but that is what he's pushing. He has always been a politician. Forming a party now did not just transform him into one.

if your above theory is to be viewed technically,i can deduced that nairaland should be registered as a political party while seun and kosovo become party chairman and chairman board of trustee respectively.roflmao
3kay945:

lol
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Ibime(m): 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2010
Wole should concentrate on turning the Save Nigeria Group into a mass movement first. . . . I dont see how this is different from Pat Utomi contesting elections.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Kilode1: 9:50pm On Mar 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

if your above theory is to be viewed technically,i can deduced that nairaland should be registered as a political party while seun and kosovo become party chairman and chairman board of trustee respectively.roflmaolol
LWKM, that actually will not be a bad idea smiley with almost 500,000 (very aggressive and opinionated members) we can pull some weight grin I'm worried about Seun though, I'm not so sure about him undecided or maybe I'm just trying to be to be too political cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Kilode1: 10:00pm On Mar 18, 2010
Ibime:

Wole should concentrate on turning the Save Nigeria Group into a mass movement first. . . . I dont see how this is different from Pat Utomi contesting elections.

I agree with you. The social movement in Nigeria has always found it difficult to carry the masses along with them, that is prob. why we keep getting thugs and idiots in government. As much i support Soyinka, Utomi and co, SNG cannot save Nigeria Until they are able to carry Nigerians along, that is their ultimate challenge.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by mezie4u(m): 10:01pm On Mar 18, 2010
@eyodad. He's 4rm ur village then?
Wole might be the best writer out of Africa but he's not that sincere,he accepted an appointment 4rm a military dictator! Chinue Achebe rejected national award 4rm the presido who hates and has vowed 2 destabilize his home town.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Idolys(m): 8:00am On Mar 19, 2010
If by magic those men could have the opportunity 2 be president,then we 're in the promise land. Naija'll get better.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by tkb417(m): 8:20am On Mar 19, 2010
Definition

wrong!!!
How can you say a political critic is not a politician. Do you have to contest elective posts b4 u can be called a politician?

Falana, Afe babalola, Soyinka, Keyamo, Dokubo, MEND, are all politicians
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by biina: 8:34am On Mar 19, 2010
tkb417:

wrong!!!
How can you say a political critic is not a politician. Do you have to contest elective posts b4 u can be called a politician?

so you want to give your own definition to the word 'politician'? undecided
That you think they are politicians, does not make them politicians. To prove your point, post a reference defining 'politician' that covers 'political critic' (and not some broad definition of politics), and stop trying to redefine the English language.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by biina: 8:41am On Mar 19, 2010
Kilode?!:

POLITICS

Doing any of the above puts you squarely in the realm of politics, even a mere interest, either as a critic on TV, Nairaland, or in the house of assembly makes  you a politician. studying it as in 1(a) makes you a politician, we can play with the word as long as we want but the bottom line is that; politics isn't only about party politics and critics too are political. So, by extension they are politicians. Wole Soyinka forming a political party is an extension of what he's spent the better part of his life doing.

where are talking about defining 'politician' and not 'politic'. Whats next, everyone that doctors something, is a doctor? undecided
Provide a definition for the word 'politician' and stop trying to get in thru the back door. Abi na u create the word? undecided

FYI, a more detail description from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politician):

A politician or political leader (from Greek "polis"wink is an individual who is involved in influencing public decision making. This includes people who hold decision-making positions in government, and people who seek those positions, whether by means of election, coup d'état, appointment, electoral fraud, conquest, right of inheritance  (see also: divine right) or other means. Politics is not limited to governance  through public office. Political offices may also be held in corporations, and other entities that are governed by self-defined political processes.

Considered a politician
* In a state, a member of the executive branch of government, or the office of Head of State, as well as the legislative branch, and regional and local levels of government.
* Any person influencing group opinions in his or her favor can be termed a politician. For example, a worker participating in office politics is a politician, but only so far as the operations of his or her workplace are concerned.
* Some law enforcement officers, such as sheriffs, and many judges who are elected or appointed because of their political views or popularity.

Not considered a politician
* Members of government who serve purely functional roles, such as bureaucrats.
* Members of the judicial branch, law enforcement, and the military are not usually regarded as being politicians since they are generally executing or adjudicating established law and custom.
* Ordinary citizens with the power to vote cannot properly be called politicians even though they can participate in group decision-making. A politician participates in public debate that leads to a group decision being reached, while a voter is simply responding to that debate.

So please provide a source that supports your definition of a politician.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 19, 2010
tkb417:

wrong!!!

all political nairalanders are politicians.how does that sound?.politics itself is a career and that distinguish it from some of us who only made political comments.
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by DrKnow1(m): 8:58am On Mar 19, 2010
Sometimes I wonder  if Nairaland is not a breeding ground for dumbwitted nonentities judging by the above posts.
Prof Wole Soyinka is a Nigerian who has every right to form a political party. What is wrong for a critic to forrm a party from which platform he could legitimately mount a strong opposition to the excesses of the so powerful PDP brigand? Change will never come if the polity is dominated by these self - centered greedy bastar.ds
Re: Wole Soyinka Forms Political Party by proudly9ja(m): 9:05am On Mar 19, 2010
The man has not even said he wants to contest you are already bringing him down? With this kind of mentality, how do we want to move Nigeria forward?

What if in his political party he brings in Fashola (just an example), Utomi, etc and the party mobilises the masses towards voting in 2011? Why can't we just wait and watch things unfold before destroying the man's good intentions?

Are we Nigerians at all??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Ogboni Man Singing Worship Song / Pictures Of Rochas Developmental Works - IMO STATE / Pardon, Part Of My Plea Bargain, Says Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.