Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,346 members, 7,860,889 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:10 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (1801) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4464749 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1798) (1799) (1800) (1801) (1802) (1803) (1804) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kikuyu1(m): 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2015
Not to interrupt the elove but this story on the KA relearning sniping is of interest to anyone still following the thread:

he Kenyan Army is equipped with the H & K SG1, .308/7.62mm fitted with a 1.5 – 6 x Carl Zeiss telescopic sight. It as been in service since before the discontinuation of Sniper training in 1979

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/LayingFoundations.asp

For the life of me,even though the Somali insurgency was quashed by over a decade at this time I can't comprehend why they stopped sniping! What's the SADF/SANDF/NA experience?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kikuyu1(m): 4:15pm On Feb 14, 2015
Not to interrupt the elove but this story on the KA relearning sniping is of interest to anyone still following the thread:

The Kenyan Army is equipped with the H & K SG1, .308/7.62mm fitted with a 1.5 – 6 x Carl Zeiss telescopic sight. It as been in service since before the discontinuation of Sniper training in 1979

For the life of me,even though the Somali insurgency had been quashed for over a decade by this time I can't comprehend why they stopped sniping! This course took place in late 2001. What's the SADF/SANDF/NA experience?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 5:51pm On Feb 14, 2015
charlos14:

Those are Malian recruits numb nuts!
A FARDC soldier holding an RPG, at the seen of the ambush.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 5:53pm On Feb 14, 2015
kikuyu1:

For the life of me,even though the Somali insurgency was quashed by over a decade at this time I can't comprehend why they stopped sniping! What's the SADF/SANDF/NA experience?
Experience in what? Sniping?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 5:21am On Feb 15, 2015
lezz:
I take it as an honour likening Evarn to Me. But I really don't care for your opinion or beliefs.

Point to note is that today Nigeria is no 1 in Africa and tomorrow still holds true of that position.

Sweden and other Scandinavian countries have a higher standard of living than the mighty US but you and I know you do not compare them.

So let south Africa use Sweden as her model and we shall use US and China as ours . In a few years time we shall compare who is more powerful and prosperous.

Lol?

Still saying Nigeria is number one after I spent days showing that Nigeria is inferior to South Africa in every conceivable criterion a nation is judged on?

You may have Africa's biggest economy - but that doesnt count for sh1t when you cannot tax it properly, South Africa has 3X the revenue you do.

We can outspend you any day of the week.

And now consider the fact that your infastructure is decades behind ours - and we are currently investing over $100 Billion in more

You guys will never catch us, we are the most developed, advanced and wealthyest, our people live longer, are happyer, are more free, more democratic, healthyer, better educated, have access to clean sanitation and electricity, free education, government support (the only African nation with a functioning welfare system) etc etc etc

Nigeria is a joke and allways will be.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 5:23am On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
i've noticed it,mzilakazi is always in denial when faced with truth.
SA has always been doing everything in their power to downgrade and denigrate our gigantic economy for fear of losing its purported "super power" status on the continent....they are always provoking diplomatic face~offs between us.but in spite of it all,we are growing and they are sinking.
who knows whether they are the foreign power helping boko haram with weapons,funds and strategy.jealousy is a very dangerous emotion.

We are still the only Black superpower in Africa

Having a big economy means nothing if you cannot do anything with it. And it means even less if it is based on a highly volatile commodity like oil.

Stay Pleb, Plebs.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

Having a big economy means nothing if you cannot do anything with it. And it means even less if it is based on a highly volatile commodity like oil.

Stay Pleb, Plebs.

oil or no oil, its still going to grow by 5.5% ...lol
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 9:27am On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
Lol?
Still saying Nigeria is number one after I spent days showing that Nigeria is inferior to South Africa in every conceivable criterion a nation is judged on?
You may have Africa's biggest economy - but that doesnt count for sh1t when you cannot tax it properly, South Africa has 3X the revenue you do.We can outspend you any day of the week. And now consider the fact that your infastructure is decades behind ours - and we are currently investing over $100 Billion in more
You guys will never catch us, we are the most developed, advanced and wealthyest, our people live longer, are happyer, are more free, more democratic, healthyer, better educated, have access to clean sanitation and electricity, free education, government support (the only African nation with a functioning welfare system) etc etc etc Nigeria is a joke and allways will be.
all are delicate frivolities that is shattering apart due to inordinate political tension and bad governance.
stay hurt,butthurt
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 9:42am On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
Stay Pleb, Plebs.
lol,you better dont let lezz hear{see} you saying{typing} this,you'd be washed,bleached and dry cleaned.
africa has no "superpower",there are only:
big countries like nigeria{and perhaps egypt}.
struggling countries like south africa,kenya,namibia,ethiopia etc
and small countries like lesotho,zimbabwe,togo,ghana etc....
Having the biggest economy is the best criteria to guage a burgeoning superpower{china has the biggest but not the most sophisticated,but eh..who cares?},Nigeria is growing at 5.79% in 2015,and an average of 7% in a good year.even despite fallen oil prices,we still remain the biggest,fastest growing and most attractive economy on the continent.that tells you that our supposed overreliance on crude oil was an exaggerated fluke.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by overhypedsteve(m): 11:27am On Feb 15, 2015
Thiza:
SOUTH AFRICAN Navy Maritime Reaction team....we always prepare for the worst scenario.....and training and training keeps us abreast
the SADF version of the Nigerian SBS or is it just an elite response unit
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 11:29am On Feb 15, 2015
iterator24:
oil or no oil, its still going to grow by 5.5% ...lol
tell them....even if a demon gulps down all our crude oil overnight,we will still have a strong enough economy to pioneer the affair of the african continent.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by overhypedsteve(m): 12:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
kikuyu1:

For the life of me,even though the Somali insurgency had been quashed for over a decade by this time I can't comprehend why they stopped sniping! This course took place in late 2001. What's the SADF/SANDF/NA experience?
NA snippers where used to great effect in Liberia and during the Ndelta crisis. we have well trained and experienced snippers in the NA dating far back to the 70s during the military dictatorship era.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 1:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
all are delicate frivolities that is shattering apart due to inordinate political tension and bad governance.
stay hurt,butthurt

South Africa has:

1. Better Rule of Law
2. Better Governmental effectiveness
3. Better quality legislation
4. More political stability
http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi/index.aspx#reports
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
kikuyu1:

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that the KDF has stopped snipping. It's actually very ridiculous for anyone to make this claim.

Here is a photo of KA troops carrying out sniper trainings in somalia. This photo was taken a year ago.

As for the Nigerian military, all branches of the military conduct sniper trainings. We've always conducted sniper missions, and have always deployed snipers.

A nigerian navy SUB.LT recently recorded a 1000 meters shot, using an SVDK which has an effective range of 600 meters.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
lol,you better dont let lezz hear{see} you saying{typing} this,you'd be washed,bleached and dry cleaned.
africa has no "superpower",there are only:
big countries like nigeria{and perhaps egypt}.
struggling countries like south africa,kenya,namibia,ethiopia etc
and small countries like lesotho,zimbabwe,togo,ghana etc....
Having the biggest economy is the best criteria to guage a burgeoning superpower{china has the biggest but not the most sophisticated,but eh..who cares?},Nigeria is growing at 5.79% in 2015,and an average of 7% in a good year.even despite fallen oil prices,we still remain the biggest,fastest growing and most attractive economy on the continent.that tells you that our supposed overreliance on crude oil was an exaggerated fluke.

I have absolutely thrased lezz when I had the time to spare with his frivolities, citation after citation debunked his asinine statements

With regards to your "economy"

Its big but ineffective - poorly taxed, unstable and based on highly volatile oil

We remain the top destination for foreign investment (infact, we are 16th in the world)

Furthermore, with regards to your over-reliance on oil is it not true that your government just had to devalue the Naira and cut budgets? Did you not just raise interest rates to a record 13%? Has your Excess Crude Account not depleted to $3-billion from $21-billion in 2008?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
tell them....even if a demon gulps down all our crude oil overnight,we will still have a strong enough economy to pioneer the affair of the african continent.

How will you if you lose 70% of your tax-base?

Since you are a simpleton, let me explain again: Your government loses 70% of its spendable money
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

South Africa has:
1. Better Rule of Law
lets see:
*parliamentarians beating themselves into fleshy pulps
*malema charging around the parliament like an enraged bull
*police invading the parliament and hefting protesting MPs around on their shoulders like sacks of rotten potatoes,while they flail their arms and legs,baying for the president's blood.
somehow,that doesnt look like a country with "better government effectiveness and political stability"

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 2:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
I have absolutely thrased lezz when I had the time to spare with his frivolities, citation after citation debunked his asinine statements
With regards to your "economy".Its big but ineffective - poorly taxed, unstable and based on highly volatile oil
We remain the top destination for foreign investment (infact, we are 16th in the world)
Furthermore, with regards to your over-reliance on oil is it not true that your government just had to devalue the Naira and cut budgets? Did you not just raise interest rates to a record 13%? Has your Excess Crude Account not depleted to $3-billion from $21-billion in 2008?
our ECA wasnt 'depleted',it was shared among the 36 states{+ the FCT}.the opposition{APC} governors called for the equal sharing of the ECA amongst all states of the republic,they won their case,and everyone got a share.a few months later,the oil market collapsed.
but even with the fall of oil,we are growing at 5.5%,while you are barely growing at all.
cheers!.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:06pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

How will you if you lose 70% of your tax-base?

Since you are a simpleton, let me explain again: Your government loses 70% of its spendable money
lol.since you are a difficulton,let me explain again: our government doesnt rely on oil money as much as the whole world believe.
recenly,oil fell below $50{though it has risen back to about $62,and is still rising},but the impact only affected the naira/dollar exchange,which brought about slight devaluation in the naira,in face of scarce dollar.it is true that we cut our budget by over 900billion,but that was due to more budget load and recurrent expenditure.
so far,the drop in oil prices has barely dented our armour;inflation is very low,growth by 6%,steady rise in exports,increase in productivity and manufacturing capabilities etc....
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 3:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
lets see:
*parliamentarians beating themselves into fleshy pulps
*malema charging around the parliament like an enraged bull
*police invading the parliament and hefting protesting MPs around on their shoulders like sacks of rotten potatoes,while they flail their arms and legs,baying for the president's blood.
somehow,that doesnt look like a country with "better government effectiveness and political stability"

Yes, but the facts are the facts, and factually speaking:

South Africa has:
1. Better Rule of Law
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 3:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
our ECA wasnt 'depleted',it was shared among the 36 states{+ the FCT}.the opposition{APC} governors called for the equal sharing of the ECA amongst all states of the republic,they won their case,and everyone got a share.a few months later,the oil market collapsed.
but even with the fall of oil,we are growing at 5.5%,while you are barely growing at all.
cheers!.

We have chosen the slow and steady path so that we can drop our Budget balance % of GDP and controll inflation

You have decades of development ahead of you until you can come even close to us.

And you have to grow your GDP by 60% to have the same GDP PPP as South Africa

No sweat here.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by kikuyu11: 3:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
Henry120:

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that the KDF has stopped snipping. It's actually very ridiculous for anyone to make this claim.

Here is a photo of KA troops carrying out sniper trainings in somalia. This photo was taken a year ago.

As for the Nigerian military, all branches of the military conduct sniper trainings. We've always conducted sniper missions, and have always deployed snipers.

A nigerian navy SUB.LT recently recorded a 1000 meters shot, using an SVDK which has an effective range of 600 meters.
Dude,trust me. The KA had stopped dedicated sniping in 1979. From then on there were only marksmen not true snipers. They reintroduced the art in 2001 and found skills had deteriorated to the point they needed foreign instructors. Now its all done here;even long distance 2k shooting with .5 inch Barrets.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:48pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

We have chosen the slow and steady path so that we can drop our Budget balance % of GDP and controll inflation

You have decades of development ahead of you until you can come even close to us.

And you have to grow your GDP by 60% to have the same GDP PPP as South Africa

No sweat here.
you didnt choose a 'slow and steady path' my friend,you chose the stagnation and sectarian violence path.
we are already growing our economy by 6%,by 2020 when we have 40 000MW of power,we'd be growing by 10% or 11%,with a huge industry that would make japan whimper in fear.
where will that leave you;a stagnant country flexing fat instead of muscles.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:51pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

Yes, but the facts are the facts, and factually speaking:

South Africa has:
1. Better Rule of Law
all on paper,all worldbank report.in real life,all we can witness is a 'kungfu parliament'.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
@kikuyu11,are you kenyan?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
you didnt choose a 'slow and steady path' my friend,you chose the stagnation and sectarian violence path.
we are already growing our economy by 6%,by 2020 when we have 40 000MW of power,we'd be growing by 10% or 11%,with a huge industry that would make japan whimper in fear.
where will that leave you;a stagnant country flexing fat instead of muscles.

everyone has dreams

most dont come true

Keep dreaming though
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 4:38pm On Feb 15, 2015
EVarn:
all on paper,all worldbank report.in real life,all we can witness is a 'kungfu parliament'.

Fact > Anecdote
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Patchesagain: 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
Soon...

(some of the major Biro contenders)

Pic 1: Damen OPV2400
Pic 2: Navantia Avante 1400
Pic 3: Lurssen Patrol Vessel PV 80
Pic 4: The glorius Gowind OPV

IMO the Gowind is the strongest contender, having signed an MOU with Paramount for domestic production, the versatility of the hull type (allowing it to be upgraded for use in low intensity conventional littoral combat due to the design including VLS tubes and modular upgrade kits for SSM's) and its fantistic "flex-deck" ability that allows the rapid conversion of the hanger and landing deck into a hospital, environmental disaster containment unit or extended barracks for SF by using containerized modules. Not to mention the inclusion of UUV's for mine-clearance.

Magnificent.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:

everyone has dreams

most dont come true

Keep dreaming though
well,this 'dream' is already coming true as we speak,under president jonathan's transformation agenda.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
Fact > Anecdote
kungfu parliament

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 8:39pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
Soon...
IMO the Gowind is the strongest contender, having signed an MOU with Paramount for domestic production, the versatility of the hull type (allowing it to be upgraded for use in low intensity conventional littoral combat due to the design including VLS tubes and modular upgrade kits for SSM's) and its fantistic "flex-deck" ability that allows the rapid conversion of the hanger and landing deck into a hospital, environmental disaster containment unit or extended barracks for SF by using containerized modules. Not to mention the inclusion of UUV's for mine-clearance.
Magnificent.
lol.i'm guessing that when you said 'soon',you meant 2090.
you havent even graduated from being a candle lighting nation,you are already talking about purchasing and upgrading OPVs.
lol?

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 8:42pm On Feb 15, 2015
Patchesagain:
Soon...

Magnificent.
lol.a few of boko haram's cheap petrol bombs will tear apart those aluminium canoes before you can even launch a missile.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1798) (1799) (1800) (1801) (1802) (1803) (1804) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.