Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (1803) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4451415 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1800) (1801) (1802) (1803) (1804) (1805) (1806) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
lol.i'm guessing that when you said 'soon',you meant 2090.
you havent even graduated from being a candle lighting nation,you are already talking about purchasing and upgrading OPVs.
lol?

Wow!!! Nigeria is a permanent candle lighting nation. At least, South Africans can only use it for three hours, once a week and sometimes not.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2015
SANDF

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
MikeCZAR:
The A-Darter has range of 20km, useless in a BVR environment. The Brazilians use "miles".

An interim missile will be bought. The development of the A-Darter was slow because of funding.

Last article i posted the Brazillian Airforce says maximum range is (12 miles) 19km. Perhaps 1km of range was sacrificed to accomodate some or other engineering solution.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
SANDF WOMEN

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
Msauza:
Wow!!! Nigeria is a permanent candle lighting nation. At least, South Africans can only use it for three hours, once a week and sometimes not.
....a grandiose achievement indeed.
i must assure you that your unfounded opinions are clinically displaced.in nigeria,when power goes off,everyone has a standby power generator to dispel the darkness.but in SA,your only options are candles and oil lamps.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thiza:
SANDF WOMEN
lol.aww....see those cute dolls....they probably joined the army because of the fancy uniform.
if you meet them on a battle field,all you need to do in disarming them is just to pull out your c0ck,and they'd throw away their weapons and suck you dry.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
lol.aww....see those cute dolls....they probably joined the army because of the fancy uniform.
if you meet them on a battle field,all you need to do in disarming them is just to pull out your c0ck,and they'd throw away their weapons and suck you dry.

Those women will cut your cock and smoke it out from its alignment.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 2:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/top-stories/19041-south-africa-s-secret-role-in-nigeria-s-boko-haram-battle
South Africa’s secret role in Nigeria’s Boko Haram battle

Print
Email

false 'unconfirmed' media reports are hardly a reputable source of proof.
how can the SA defense minister brand the soldiers and military advisers they willing sent to nigeria,as traitors?
how is it possible for him to refer to them as 'mercenaries' and order their immediate arrest should they ever return?
if SA were 'helping' us,they'd have ran to the media to publicize and sugar-coat it,as if they have just sent legions of special forces into nigeria.
your government wouldnt disrespected and denigrated the troops they willingly sent here by calling them 'mercenaries'.
Print
Email
Share []
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 2:09pm On Feb 16, 2015
Msauza:
Those women will cut your cock and smoke it out from its alignment.
cut my c0ck?....i rather think not,wouldnt you agree msauza?,they would gladly suck but never cut.
anyway,you rarely see them on the battlefield.they just fvck a general,who then swiftly promotes them to colonel or major rank,straight out of field operations.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 2:17pm On Feb 16, 2015

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 2:26pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
false 'unconfirmed' media reports are hardly a reputable source of proof.
how can the SA defense minister brand the soldiers and military advisers they willing sent to nigeria,as traitors?
how is it possible for him to refer to them as 'mercenaries' and order their immediate arrest should they ever return?
if SA were 'helping' us,they'd have ran to the media to publicize and sugar-coat it,as if they have just sent legions of special forces into nigeria.
your government wouldnt disrespected and denigrated the troops they willingly sent here by calling them 'mercenaries'.
Print
Email
Share []

Where is the "reputable source" that confirms your baseless denials?

Please post it. There's none.

The fact of the matter is that those are South Africans out there. Mercenaries or not. They are South Africans.

Thanks.

By the way, you're the sole reason why your fellow Nigerians have left the thread. The type of posts that you invite. Scroll back and see who's left on your side. It's only you in your two forms (lezz and evarn) and the occasional overhypedsteve. Everyone else has left. You're an embarrassment.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 2:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/02/14/nigeria-hires-mercenaries-east-europeans-against-boko-haram/

Nigeria hires mercenaries, East Europeans against Boko Haram

That one is a South African. They like to live their beards like that.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 2:52pm On Feb 16, 2015
Msauza:

That one is a South African. They like to live their beards like that.

Ja - the caption says that he is South African.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 2:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
Very nice read.

http://sites.la.utexas.edu/utaustinsoc/2012/10/03/from-mercenaries-to-contractors/

POLITICAL SOCIOLOGY
FROM MERCENARIES TO CONTRACTORS
OCTOBER 3, 2012 ADMIN LEAVE A COMMENT

Upcoming presentation at Go-Betweens: Crossing Borders – An Interdisciplinary Conference at The University of Texas at Austin. Session B3: ‘Human Rights? Social Justice?‘ October 12, 2012. 3:40 – 5:20 pm. SAC 3.112

Contemporary conflict areas and warzones across the globe witness the emergence of an old actor in a new face-the hired guns. As the quintessence of the spirit of capitalism in the battlefield, the new contractors’ companies take an increasing part in modern battlefields. From a pariah and symbol of cupidity the soldiers of fortune turned into businessmen in suits and million dollar companies, transformed from mercenaries into contractors. These contractors and companies proliferate in conflict areas, conducting various tasks as partners of governments and armies, from logistics and maintenance to intelligence and even actual fighting. In many battlefields they outnumbered the standing armies’ regular soldiers. This is the result of an historical process and an old arm wrestle between the market forces and political forces that tilt to one side or the other. Nevertheless, current trends evince these new characteristics. This differentiates them from former times and raises interesting questions on accountability, while challenging the Weberian notion on States and the monopoly of the legitimate use of violence.

Not so long ago, in the mid-90’s, mercenaries such as ‘Mad’ Mike Hoare, Bob Denard, ‘Black Jack’ Jean Schramme, Yair Klein, and many others prowled all across Africa and Latin America; following the committing “tradition” of Ernst von Mansfeld, Roger de Flor, Francesco Sforza and many other respectable names. These individuals, though many times operating under the advice and request of governments, were considered pariahs in international politics. Even the surprisingly successful intervention of the South African mercenary company Executive Outcomes (EO), which forced the notorious Revolutionary United Front that menaced Sierra Leone to ask for peace, was concluded with rapid banishment by the international community the moment EO harbored stabilization and democratic elections. In spite of the mitigating effect of EO presence on the Sierra Leone civil-war, (which was an arena the international community failed to deal with) no one in the international community could envision that hired-guns run the security and indirectly, the politics of a UN member.

The world, post 9/11, presented more than a few challenges for the international community and especially for the only world power, which was occupied with two distinct and distanced arenas about half the size of Texas. After a quick triumph in Iraq and Afghanistan came the phase of control and reconstruction for two turn countries with bad infrastructure and unstable politics, a phase which demanded further ‘boots on the ground’ than the over stretched and exhausted coalition could supply. The solution came in the form of outsourcing; outsourcing of control, construction, and if necessary, of fighting (Chatterjee 2009).

Table 1. Comparison of Contractor Personnel to Troop Levels

(As of March 11)

Contractors Troops Ratio
Afghanistan Only 90,339 99,800 .91:1
Iraq Only 64,253 45,660 1.41:1
CENTCOM AOR 173,644 214,000 .81:1
Source: CENTCOM 2nd Quarter FY 2011 Contractor Census Report; Troop data from Joint Chiefs of Staff, “Boots on the Ground” January report to Congress.

Notes: CENTCOM AOR includes figures for Afghanistan and Iraq. CENTCOM troop level adjusted by CRS to exclude troops deployed to non-Central Command locations (e.g., Djibouti, Philippines, Egypt). Troop levels for non-CENTCOM locations are from DMDC, DRS 11280, “Location Report” for June 2010.

Figure 1. Number of Contractor Personnel in Afghanistan vs. Troop Levels

Source: CENTCOM Quarterly Census Reports; Troop Levels in the Afghan and Iraq Wars, FY2001-FY2012: Cost and Other Potential Issues, by Amy Belasco; Joint Staff, Joint Chiefs of Staff, “Boots on the Ground” monthly reports to Congress.

This rapid ‘makeover’, from pariah into mainstream political consensus, took less than a decade. At present, contractors or private military companies (PMC), are the providers of a variety of services starting in logistics and catering and ending with intelligence gathering, security and sometime even offense. Western companies are not the only players in the market and many other companies are taking their share in the “scramble for Iraq and Afghanistan”. Many of them are local, especially in Afghanistan.

Comparing major American conflicts from the last 250 years yields interesting results. The ratio of mercenaries/contractors and troops in the battlefield increased dramatically and shows record highs of 1:1. Historically this trend is new in the U.S context, though it has historical precedent for other nations.

Source: http://www.economist.com/node/11955577?story_id=11955577

A ratio of 1:1 proposes that a significant military effort is conducted by contractors and not by military personnel. This trend raises points at issue over accountability and responsibility and questions the state’s ‘monopoly on the legitimate use of violence’. Take for example Blackwater, which retains a private navy, air force (it purchased recently a fleet of ‘Super Tucano’ turboprop fighting planes), and produces and sells its own armed personnel carrier- the Grizzly. Its capabilities surpass those of more than half of the UN members. Furthermore, in order to avoid the bad reputation associated with its activity in Iraq, the company rebranded its image and changed its name to Xe and later to Academi. Thus, we can see the dilemma of power and accountability (or problematic accountability) in the contractors’ contexts.

Currently, the interface between state/military and PMC’s is vast and not fully regulated. Problems occur frequently on the basis of determining jurisdiction and responsibility on the ground. Meanwhile contemporary warfare is changing as two distinct populations with different norms, characteristics, and organizational culture are working together, adding to an already complicated scenario.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:00pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:
The fact of the matter is that those are South Africans out there. Mercenaries or not. They are South Africans.
Thanks.
By the way, you're the sole reason why your fellow Nigerians have left the thread. The type of posts that you invite. Scroll back and see who's left on your side. It's only you in your two forms (lezz and evarn) and the occasional overhypedsteve. Everyone else has left. You're an embarrassment.
reputable source for what?,neither SA nor Nigeria has confirmed any deployment of SADF 'mercenaries' against boko haram.so,as far as everyone is concerned,there is no mercenaries in nigeria.full stop.
PS:oh!,you wound me with your harsh chastism,i think i'm gonna cry.
oops!,i just realised that i dont care.
lol.we{nigerians} all left this thread because we are sick of your lies and propanganda.moreover,we are all busy.
so quit moping,and get a grip.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 3:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
reputable source for what?,neither SA nor Nigeria has confirmed any deployment of SADF 'mercenaries' against boko haram.so,as far as everyone is concerned,there is no mercenaries in nigeria.full stop.
PS:oh!,you wound me with your harsh chastism,i think i'm gonna cry.
oops!,i just realised that i dont care.
lol.we{nigerians} all left this thread because we are sick of your lies and propanganda.moreover,we are all busy.
so quit moping,and get a grip.

Yes, you don't care because you can't go beyond a certain intellectual level. You just post anything without thought.

Case in point, you can't just give us a bare denial without any evidence supporting your denial. You need to base the denial on some evidence. And as predicted, you won't post any evidence supporting your denial because all you are about are thoughtless posts. Even Nigerians are tired of going along with you. You are not very stimulating or stimulated.

Check for yourself and see if anyone from your side follows your line of empty banter. Scroll back my friend. They have left.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:

Thanks.

everyone is on hibernation mode,until they find a topic worth the wasting data to comment.
if you persist with your antagonistic fact-twisting attitude,i fear everyone will simply come here to read amusing comments.
cheers!.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
everyone is on hibernation mode,until they find a topic worth the wasting data to comment.
if you persist with your antagonistic fact-twisting attitude,i fear everyone will simply come here to read amusing comments.
cheers!.

How do you know that "everyone is in hibernation mode"? They do log on. See what I mean? You just post anything without thinking. Fact is not even a single Nigerian from the old guard on this thread wants to follow you on your line of empty banter. You thrive on empty rhetoric and invite long unstimulated debates on this thread. People respond to you if and when they have the time. Otherwise, no one is really stimulated by your posts.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:21pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:

Yes, you don't care because you can't go beyond a certain intellectual level. You just post anything without thought.
Case in point, you can't just give us a bare denial without any evidence supporting your denial. You need to base the denial on some evidence. And as predicted, you won't post any evidence supporting your denial because all you are about are thoughtless posts. Even Nigerians are tired of going along with you. You are not very stimulating or stimulated.
Check for yourself and see if anyone from your side follows your line of empty banter. Scroll back my friend. They have left.
typical,when you percieve things going 'awry' for you,you begin trading blames.
what is my concern if people are no longer responding to your posts,so that you can frustrate their efforts and waste their data by twisting known facts?.
i have no patience for such mediocrity.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 3:23pm On Feb 16, 2015
So, after all the truth has been revealed that fighter jets which have been used to bomb BH are in fact SA former military fighter pilots which serves as mercenaries in Nigeria. People, Nigerian has no fighter pilots who are well trained to a world standard.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 3:27pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
typical,when you percieve things going 'awry' for you,you begin trading blames.
what is my concern if people are no longer responding to your posts,so that you can frustrate their efforts and waste their data by twisting known facts?.
i have no patience for such mediocrity.

1. What has gone awry? Point it out.

2. You won't be able to because every argument of yours is baseless.

3. It is a fact that you are not stimulating.

4. Your posts are not stimulating, my friend. They stimulate neither Nigerian nor South African.

5. Of course you have no patience for "mediocrity" because you have enough of it in the form of your posts.

6. Your only job on this thread is to post anything. Anything that is a response, you will post. But think it through before posting it, you won't.

Just go back and look at the type of rhetoric associated with you on the thread. Scroll back my friend. Scroll back. No one could be stimulated by that. And because of the type of responses you invite, your fellow Nigerians have left. The flavour of the thread has crossed over to empty banter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 3:29pm On Feb 16, 2015
Msauza:
So, after all the truth has been revealed that fighter jets which have been used to bomb BH are in fact SA former military fighter pilots which serves as mercenaries in Nigeria. People, Nigerian has no fighter pilots who are well trained to a world standard.

Yes, my man. It is an undeniable truth. Nigeria has had to go and hire South African skills. A very clear recognition that Nigeria doesn't have similar skills.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:34pm On Feb 16, 2015
ThaVluit:
How do you know that "everyone is in hibernation mode"? They do log on. See what I mean? You just post anything without thinking. Fact is not even a single Nigerian from the old guard on this thread wants to follow you on your line of empty banter. You thrive on empty rhetoric and invite long unstimulated debates on this thread. People respond to you if and when they have the time. Otherwise, no one is really stimulated by your posts.
lol.old guard?,you really possess an inordinate talent for melodrama,dont you?.what gives you the impression that the "old guard" has deserted me,i think you are forgetting your place mate.
i didnt come to this thread to pull a jesus;i dont need disciples.
therefore i fail to understand the reason behind your baseless accusations.
from here on,i wont respond to any more meaninglessly time consuming posts from you again.until you regain proper decorum.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ThaVluit: 3:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
lol.old guard?,you really possess an inordinate talent for melodrama,dont you?.what gives you the impression that the "old guard" has deserted me,i think you are forgetting your place mate.
i didnt come to this thread to pull a jesus;i dont need disciples.
therefore i fail to understand the reason behind your baseless accusations.
from here on,i wont respond to any more meaninglessly time consuming posts from you again.until you regain proper decorum.

Just look at this one, for example. Six lines. Zero substance. Yes, of course. You came onto this thread to just move your fingers and post the first thing that comes to your mind. No plan. No intellectual message. Just empty responses. A thread is about discussion. So everyone needs participants for a thread to be lively. But because of the lack of stimulation coming from the type of rhetoric on here, your own fellow Nigerians can't participate because to go along with you is a major embarassment. Who wants to spend the whole day dealing with looooong posts that have no substance?

You are on every single page. Hogging page after page. But no one could even learn a single thing from your posts. No links. No citations. No evidence. No facts. Just looooooong posts comprising baseless opinion. It is a fact bra. You aren't stimulating. Just scroll back and see how many pages you are on. Go back and see what has happened to the behaviour of your fellow Nigerians. Go back and see the change in the flavour of the thread. Sometimes the bitter truth has to be said. Now is that time.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 3:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
NIGERIAN TROOPS RETAKE MONGUNO AND OTHER COMMUNITIES FROM BOKO HARAM ! ! ! !
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/176937-breaking-nigerian-military-retakes-monguno-communities-boko-haram.html
Print
Email
Share []
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 4:32pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
NIGERIAN TROOPS RETAKE MONGUNO AND OTHER COMMUNITIES FROM BOKO HARAM ! ! ! !
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/176937-breaking-nigerian-military-retakes-monguno-communities-boko-haram.html
Print
Email
Share []

Thanks to SA mercenaries.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 4:41pm On Feb 16, 2015
Msauza:

Thanks to SA mercenaries.
which SA mercenaries?.according to your defense minister,there is no soldier of the SANDF officially deployed outside the country.even your minister confessed that he heard about the development through a media group called 'beeld'.
the nigerian DHQ hasnt released any statement about it.
so,as far as everyone is concerned,the deployment of SADF mercenaries into nigeria is mere speculation.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 4:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
Truly, I don't recall how many times have I told @agaugust about SA mercenaries in Nigeria who are training his rag tag military but he kept on denying despite the media reports. Now it was partly revealed by his military through media leakage.

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2015/02/revealed-how-south-african-mercenaries.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 4:53pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
which SA mercenaries?.according to your defense minister,there is no soldier of the SANDF officially deployed outside the country.even your minister confessed that he heard about the development through a media group called 'beeld'.
the nigerian DHQ hasnt released any statement about it.
so,as far as everyone is concerned,the deployment of SADF mercenaries into nigeria is mere speculation.

There is one former colleague that is currently there in Nigeria that I know. The minister said there is no SANDF members but she was aware there were mercenaries.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by EVarn(m): 5:05pm On Feb 16, 2015
FighterPilot:

There is one former colleague that is currently there in Nigeria that I know. The minister said there is no SANDF members but she was aware there were mercenaries.
Perhaps.but was that former colleague of yours a retired SADF soldier,or did he also work as a SANDF soldier?

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 5:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
saengine:

Last article i posted the Brazillian Airforce says maximum range is (12 miles) 19km. Perhaps 1km of range was sacrificed to accomodate some or other engineering solution.
Yup, 13miles would be more.

That will be cleared up once Denel upgrade their the missile's profile on their site.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 5:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
EVarn:
The corporal in the second picture led soldiers out of an ambush during the battle of bangui, without a map back to the base.

Better trained than Nigerian soldiers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1800) (1801) (1802) (1803) (1804) (1805) (1806) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.