Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,683 members, 7,865,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:47 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4469003 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Fynline(m): 9:44am On May 22, 2013
NA Ampibious troops and Navy chaps on patrol in the Niger Delta

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:20am On May 22, 2013
Fynline: NA Ampibious troops and Navy chaps on patrol in the Niger Delta

I hope those same NA Navy troops can tackle the growing piracy threat which is becoming even more dangerous then Somali waters according to UN reports on the piracy problems in the Gulf of Guinea in recent times.

With 300 small and medium crafts the same NA Navy can't even protect 800km of its territorial waters. This all said Nigerian waters has become the third most dangerous place to drift.
http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/finance/news/crime-at-sea--the-world-s-most-dangerous-waters-171430018.html?intl=us&.lang=en-us

Now the same thing almost happened in Southern Africa where Somali pirates started to venture into Tanzania and the Mozambican Channel and SA Navy with a submarine and frigate quickly deployed to Mozambique, Tanzania and Madagascar to stop there adventure in its tracks and which resulted in arrests and not a single Somali pirate ever again tried there luck in the Mozambican channel since 2010(not a single pirate attack).

I personally admire the Nigerian amphibious. But SA's coast line doesn't have those creeks like Nigeria's Delta region and the fact that SA has some of the most violent oceanic conditions on the planet also, so those type of ships aren't suited for South African coastal conditions.

That said I hope that the UN's Gulf of Guinea's prediction of becoming even worse then Somali waters, never materialize.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 10:41am On May 22, 2013
Augustine Again: -

[size=16pt]3 attack submarines for nigerian navy soon [/size]

From year 2001 to 2008, Nigerian Armed Forces entered into contractual agreements and/or taken delivery of the following :

=Four Balsam-class 61m logistics ships
=Two stealth offshore patrol craft
=British-made supply vessels
=Many dozens of Chinese, US and Singapore-built fast response boats, troop landing craft and gunboats in the 10-25m configs.
Though the 4 Buoy Tenders were acquired from US Coast Guard in 2003/2004, they were about 60 years old. On 12 April 2009, the Navy commissioned two 38-meter Sea Eagle Fast Patrol Crafts (FPCs) - NNS Zaria and NNS Burutu and two new Agusta helicopters procured from Alenia, Italy.

ALSO EXPECTED :

=1,450+ton oceangoing OPVs @ US$260 m
=More 38m stealth Offshore Patrol Craft from Singapore
=Super Dvora and Shaldag gunboats from Israel
=More Chinese gunboats and landing craft (rumoured end-figure of 200 units..including already delivered units)
=More Singaporean gunboats
=Twelve Agusta A109 Power helicopters
=Twelve Eurocopter AS-550 Fennec naval attack choppers
=Four Offshore Patrol Craft from France
=Thirty gunboats from France

The Air Arm of the Nigerian Navy already owns a mix of about 8 Agusta-Westland Lynx helicopters and Agusta 109 Power helicopters. With the expected
With new delivery of TWELVE Eurocopter Fennec naval attack helicopters, it seems likely that the NN Air Arm will have about 20 recce and attack choppers, a floating helicopter base for the NN's Air Arm becomes necessary.

Year 2009, Nigerian Navy asked the Federal Government's approval to add to its inventory about 49 warships of different types and 42 combat helicopters to enable it police the nation's territorial waterways, including the Gulf of Guinea effectively.

To enable the Federal Government meet up with this target, the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ishaya Ibrahim stated that the Federal Government, through the Ministry of Defence, set aside a percentage of the GDP for Maritime Security Equipment Development Fund.

Navy Vice Admiral Ibrahim stated that for the Navy to pursue its operational capacity that will enable the nation become one of the 20 strongest nations, it should procure the different platforms in three phases, namely short, medium and long term measures.

For its immediate plan which will span for two years, the Federal Government will add to the inventory of the Navy two light frigates, two 85 metre OPVs, six 17 metre Manta Class IPCs, six Shaldag MK 11 Patrol Craft, two 38 metre FPBs, two combat Augusta A138 helicopters, one Landing Platform Dock, and two Logistics Ships.

For medium term which will span between two to five years, the Admiral said the Nigerian Navy would have, ten OPVs,20 helicopters, one hydrographic ship, two training ships, two logistics ships, and two mine counter measure vessels (MCMVs).

For a long term plan which he put at between five and ten years, he requested the Federal Government to procure, three Conventional Submarines, two corvettes, two LPDs, 20 long rang maritime patrol helicopters, two training ships and two MCMVs.

ALSO COMING VERY SOON TO THE NIGERIAN NAVY

=Two LIGHT FRIGATES(these will probably be the German MEKO A200 corvettes),
=Two 85 metre OPVs (these are the same Castle-class OPVs which we talked about earlier on this thread)
=Six 17 metre Manta Class Inshore Patrol Craft (two entered NN service in Q1,2009),
=Six Shaldag MK 11 Patrol Craft(one entered service in July 2009
=Two 38 metre Offshore Patrol Craft(two others entered NN service in April 2009),
=Two combat Augusta A138 helicopters,
=One Landing Platform Dock, and
=Two Logistics Ships.

THE MEDIUM TERM (2 TO 5 YEARS)

=Ten OPVs,
=Twenty helicopters,
=One hydrographic ship,
=Two training ships,
=Two logistics ships, and
=Two mine counter measure vessels (MCMVs).

THE LONG TERM (5 TO 10 YEARS)

=Three Conventional Submarines,
=Two corvettes,
=Two LPDs,
=Twenty long-range maritime patrol helicopters,
=Two training ships and Two MCMVs.

WEB LINK SOURCE : http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/nigeria/navy-modernization.htm

[size=16pt]the new nigerian navy will rule the oceans of africa very soon.[/size]

@Agaugust

Sorry, I am employed by the federal government and your being in America has really intensified your backwardness about current news in Nigeria. Luckily our federal government is not led by psycho like you who are over-obsessed about military and rather ignore the people's needs to quench their narrow interest. It is apparent that your education about such industries is solely based on the internet and there are some realities that you cannot necessarily learn from the internet and rather would have to go to school to learn about that. It looks to me that your over-obsession about military power has really diverted your attention about the government priorities and for which military is not one.

I can even post many weblinks that will educate you about the government strategy and focus. Gone are those years when military used to be prioritised over peoples basic needs. Nigeria looks like a jungle today because of those leaders who used to have the very same faulty ideas like yours. We are very lucky that Nigeria has sober leaders today and that's why you have seen in the recent years Nigeria overtaking the likes of Egypt and on its way to unseat SA as economic power of Africa.

I repeat, Nigeria has no any intention of procuring heavy armaments other than small arms. Our politicians have over-emphasised the fact that heavy artillery will not make Nigeria to look beautiful and rich rather will starve its people.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 10:57am On May 22, 2013
Some of these SANDF troops are going to be deployed to DRC, to fight the M23 rebels

Please excuse the crappy music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uotc_W-gyBY
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 11:15am On May 22, 2013
LT SHANGY: I recently noticed a fascinating trend in the NA OFFENSIVE AGAINST BOKO HARAM/ANSAR DINE TERRORISTS, The use of airstrikes and special forces to dislodge the terrorists,then the regular forces comes up as mop-up forces is interesting, i think they learnt alot from the french forces in the recently concluded malian offensive. thus aquiring minimal casualties.excellent form for the NA. THESE SANDF RETREAT TACTICS is tactless. notice the covering fire is at the front(the last man should be doing that), the last foto makes me think the retreat is in dissaray. I recently noticed a fascinating trend in the NA OFFENSIVE AGAINST BOKO HARAM/ANSAR DINE TERRORISTS, The use of airstrikes and special forces to dislodge the terrorists,then the regular forces comes up as mop-up forces is interesting, i think they learnt alot from the french forces in the recently concluded malian offensive. thus aquiring minimal casualties.excellent form for the NA. THESE SANDF RETREAT TACTICS is tactless. notice the covering fire is at the front(the last man should be doing that), the last foto makes me think the retreat is in dissaray.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 11:35am On May 22, 2013
[quote author=Defenceweb]Some of these SANDF troops are going to be deployed to DRC, to fight the M23 rebels

Please excuse the crappy music

I just wish the SANDF gudluck in their expenditions, the CAR mistakes should be avoided this time around. GOD'S SPEED SANDF...
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 12:02pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

Sorry, I am employed by the federal government and your being in America has really intensified your backwardness about current news in Nigeria. Luckily our federal government is not led by psycho like you who are over-obsessed about military and rather ignore the people's needs to quench their narrow interest. It is apparent that your education about such industries is solely based on the internet and there are some realities that you cannot necessarily learn from the internet and rather would have to go to school to learn about that. It looks to me that your over-obsession about military power has really diverted your attention about the government priorities and for which military is not one.

I can even post many weblinks that will educate you about the government strategy and focus. Gone are those years when military used to be prioritised over peoples basic needs. Nigeria looks like a jungle today because of those leaders who used to have the very same faulty ideas like yours. We are very lucky that Nigeria has sober leaders today and that's why you have seen in the recent years Nigeria overtaking the likes of Egypt and on its way to unseat SA as economic power of Africa.

I repeat, Nigeria has no any intention of procuring heavy armaments other than small arms. Our politicians have over-emphasised the fact that heavy artillery will not make Nigeria to look beautiful and rich rather will starve its people.
Sorry bro, NN has a long term aquisition plan that includes 3 submarines. military aquisitions will not affect national developments in any way.. we are on our way to the UN security council, sir.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 22, 2013
I wish SANDF troops going to DRC goodluck. Let us all rid our dear motherland of these thugs.

@Snydergp, my brother, goodluck and safe journey. You do know you can still keep in touch, carry your smart phone along.

@defenceweb and fynline, thanks for sharing the video and pictures.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 12:31pm On May 22, 2013
LT SHANGY:
Sorry bro, NN has a long term aquisition plan that includes 3 submarines. military aquisitions will not affect national developments in any way.. we are on our way to the UN security council, sir.

My point exactly, such plans have failed and are not supported by the politicians of this land. I am working for one department that focuses specifically on such issues. Our government is even planning on cutting the military budget and rather focus much on building the infrastructure and economy. Our infrastructure is dilapidated and on bad conditions and such notions as Nigeria wants to become military superpowers proves futile.

Do you want Nigeria to become the next Iraq and Pakistan with stronger military yet their whole country is in shambles? Such are not the conditions that our politicians are going to vote for. Hard luck bro.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 12:58pm On May 22, 2013
My fellow countrymen, I don't know if you have ever realised that Nigeria's total budget is smaller than that of SA and Egypt in three fold. Nigeria has to look after 170 million people who are even more than the total population of SA in three fold. How do you expect Nigeria to compete with smaller nations like Egypt and SA, yet with larger treasury? Those countries can manage to buy Subs without sustaining any financial injuries.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 22, 2013
DictatorZAR:

I hope those same NA Navy troops can tackle the growing piracy threat which is becoming even more dangerous then Somali waters according to UN reports on the piracy problems in the Gulf of Guinea in recent times.

With 300 small and medium crafts the same NA Navy can't even protect 800km of its territorial waters. This all said Nigerian waters has become the third most dangerous place to drift.
http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/finance/news/crime-at-sea--the-world-s-most-dangerous-waters-171430018.html?intl=us&.lang=en-us

Now the same thing almost happened in Southern Africa where Somali pirates started to venture into Tanzania and the Mozambican Channel and SA Navy with a submarine and frigate quickly deployed to Mozambique, Tanzania and Madagascar to stop there adventure in its tracks and which resulted in arrests and not a single Somali pirate ever again tried there luck in the Mozambican channel since 2010(not a single pirate attack).

I personally admire the Nigerian amphibious. But SA's coast line doesn't have those creeks like Nigeria's Delta region and the fact that SA has some of the most violent oceanic conditions on the planet also, so those type of ships aren't suited for South African coastal conditions.

That said I hope that the UN's Gulf of Guinea's prediction of becoming even worse then Somali waters, never materialize.
Your argument is patchy and designed with some skeptical views at first. You quickly give a hand of support at the concluding part which is a good thing. Although, with your revealing comment you are very good with prestidigitation, my friend.

However, your concluding part is nice seeing in your comment again. We are ready to cooperate with any of our African brothers to help them in many areas and learn from them in some aspects.

Thank you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711: My fellow countrymen, I don't know if you have ever realised that Nigeria's total budget is smaller than that of SA and Egypt in three fold. Nigeria has to look after 170 million people who are even more than the total population of SA in three fold. How do you expect Nigeria to compete with smaller nations like Egypt and SA, yet with larger treasury? Those countries can manage to buy Subs without sustaining any financial injuries.
Can you post your statistical findings ,please? If not, kindly shut the f**k up!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 22, 2013
LT SHANGY:

Do not have mercy on these M32 rebels in DRC. These a$$holes are messing up the progress of this continent. They must be wiped out of their hidings.

Thanks SANDF... I wish you the best of your military capacity this time around. I know you guys can pull this off without much stress.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

My point exactly, such plans have failed and are not supported by the politicians of this land. I am working for one department that focuses specifically on such issues. Our government is even planning on cutting the military budget and rather focus much on building the infrastructure and economy. Our infrastructure is dilapidated and on bad conditions and such notions as Nigeria wants to become military superpowers proves futile.

Do you want Nigeria to become the next Iraq and Pakistan with stronger military yet their whole country is in shambles? Such are not the conditions that our politicians are going to vote for. Hard luck bro.

You concerns are legitimate. We cannot become, a country with a collapsed infrastructure and a modern military.

We are way ahead of each of your examples in both infrastructure and economy. Pakistan spends 10- 13 billion dollars on military alone yearly

We spend 3 billion dollars on military, infact education takes the largest chunk of government budget.

However it would be naïve to think that the nigerian military would not modernise or expand as the economy grows. The 2 are closely linked together.
As we continue to record significant growth in the economy, our assests would have to be protected won't it? Now, do you use fishing canoe to protect your oil rigs or maritime investments? We are also a continental giant, we got commitments to keep in our sub region, would our troops trek down there?

We are vying for africa's slot at the un security council, you need to have the assets in place to challenge and secure the sub-region.

There is no economy without security.

The navy's 10 year plan though slow, is currently in motion as between this year and 2014 we are to receive 5-7 new Platforms. All have been paid for awaiting delivery.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:21pm On May 22, 2013
snydergp:

What nonsense are you talking now. What is there to learn from a nation like nigeria, SA's Recce forces have been in existence before Nigeria was even declared a Independent state in 1960(no offense).

SA's military doctrine is different from Nigeria, training, culturally and ethically, the same goes for Egypt, Angola, US, China and Others, so I don't see any point in what you've just posted here.

weapons manufacturing is a science, but war fighting is an art. thats the difference. be humble and learn from those who know more than you do, thats the only way to avoid another south african army defeat by seleka rebels type of ragtags.

learn and dont go and turn south african women into young widows.

Henry120:

Nice media opps by the south africans, this is one area where our army is lagging behind. In nigeria the military, not until recently( navy and to some extent airforce) do not release photographs. Most of the pics posted by nigerians are either random photographs or troops personal photos. The south africans, egyptians, algerians and even the Kenyans understand the value of good photo opps. However in nigeria the army is still stuck in the past.

That been said, the last 2 photos I pasted, show major flaws in south african military "retreating" training.

When troops retreat the way the south africans have in the first photo, they leave themselves very vulnerable to enemy attack. Only one soldier is providing covering fire for seven(7) retreating troops.

* As we can all see clearly the training is still on.

This is how we do it in nigeria, all seven(7) soldiers would been on crouching position, facing back towards enemy position, the last soldier in the line stands up and sprints( in a crouched position) to the first soldier in line, while the other six provide cover fire. The sixth soldier, now the seventh in line performs the same routine as the seventh soldier who is now the first soldier.

This process repeats itself again and again until they get to their chopper awaiting to ferry them away. What it means is that at all times during the retreat, the soldier retreating has 6 rifles providing cover fire for him, as he retreats.

Just my observations in the 2 photos, observations were SANDF can learn a couple of things from the nigerian military.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:35pm On May 22, 2013
snydergp: SANDF is alreadky preparing for an intense firefight with the M23 rebels.

I'm sorry to say that due to my current commitments from tomorrow on words I will be out of SA and, it will not be possible for me to participate in this forum for an unspecified time I bid farewell to Nairaland for now I pray God will take care of my fellow Naija Brothers who I love to argue with viciously.

Till further notice take care.

ah ! we will miss you snydergp...your usual false information and abusive language....anyway, i personally wish you well in your career, and try get closer to God and the good Lord will bless you, amen. goodbye my brother.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 1:42pm On May 22, 2013
Henry120:

You concerns are legitimate. We cannot become, a country with a collapsed infrastructure and a modern military.

We are way ahead of each of your examples in both infrastructure and economy. Pakistan spends 10- 13 billion dollars on military alone yearly

We spend 3 billion dollars on military, infact education takes the largest chunk of government budget.

However it would be naïve to think that the nigerian military would not modernise or expand as the economy grows. The 2 are closely linked together.
As we continue to record significant growth in the economy, our assests would have to be protected won't it? Now, do you use fishing canoe to protect your oil rigs or maritime investments? We are also a continental giant, we got commitments to keep in our sub region, would our troops trek down there?

We are vying for africa's slot at the un security council, you need to have the assets in place to challenge and secure the sub-region.

There is no economy without security.

The navy's 10 year plan though slow, is currently in motion as between this year and 2014 we are to receive 5-7 new Platforms. All have been paid for awaiting delivery.

Security and defence are two different components. We are doing as much as we can to expand our security. We are under no any threat of foreign attack and our only security concern is the growing insurgency in our country. We need to build our police and arm them with modern technologies and vehicle. Our police force is so poor and inexperienced as compared to our defence counterpart.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 1:48pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

oga, that is your own personal wish, but it wont work, so sorry sir.

ministry of defense has a multi-billion dollar budget and has paid already for heavy weapons for nigerian military worth billion of dollars. the navy received over 300 small combat boats costs about $300m, paid for 4 light stealth frigates worthy about $700m and thats about a billion dollars already.

you want to personally go overseas to the weapons producers and collect the money back to nigeria ? you dream brother. lol grin

if nigeria has the kind of weak military you desire, we will become like Mali that was defeated by islamic rebels in the north and Malian army ran away to the south while its air force was helpless. Mali is now being rescued by military forces from France, Nigeri, Chad, etc. it seems you like to become a prisoner of war and get tortured by your enemy while the invading men take over your wife and sisters to become their own tool for pleasure. i pity you @Ndubuisi711, i really pity you. may Chineke save you o !
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 22, 2013
Sup,agaugust?!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 2:30pm On May 22, 2013
agaugust:

oga, that is your own personal wish, but it wont work, so sorry sir.

ministry of defense has a multi-billion dollar budget and has paid already for heavy weapons for nigerian military worth billion of dollars. the navy received over 300 small combat boats costs about $300m, paid for 4 light stealth frigates worthy about $700m and thats about a billion dollars already.

you want to personally go overseas to the weapons producers and collect the money back to nigeria ? you dream brother. lol grin

if nigeria has the kind of weak military you desire, we will become like Mali that was defeated by islamic rebels in the north and Malian army ran away to the south while its air force was helpless. Mali is now being rescued by military forces from France, Nigeri, Chad, etc. it seems you like to become a prisoner of war and get tortured by your enemy while the invading men take over your wife and sisters to become their own tool for pleasure. i pity you @Ndubuisi711, i really pity you. may Chineke save you o !

Agaugust stop lying to the men of God. I am a state auditor and stop painting Nairaland with lies. Media coverage about any issue does not mean is what will happen on the ground. You can hit your head against the walls as much as you want but some of those deals will not materialise. We only audit the government plans to see if the money was spend for what was it was meant for. As we speak I have all the government plans and allocations for this year budget for all the ministries.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:35pm On May 22, 2013
South African NTW anti material rifle. Issued to Special Forces to take out medium-heavy targets

The guy in the blue shirt designed this rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXKPOzyj-gI

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Defenceweb: 2:45pm On May 22, 2013
South African NEOPUP PAW20 (Personal Area Weapon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsBEQ-Pulvc&feature=player_embedded
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

Agaugust stop lying to the men of God. I am a state auditor and stop painting Nairaland with lies. Media coverage about any issue does not mean is what will happen on the ground. You can hit your head against the walls as much as you want but some of those deals will not materialise. We only audit the government plans to see if the money was spend for what was it was meant for. As we speak I have all the government plans and allocations for this year budget for all the ministries.
It seems you hate the Nigeria military for one reason or an other.
But to expose you I will ask you this question: give me just one economic power without a strong military.
Second of all Nigeria doesn't purchase small arms, Dicon makes the small arms for us (except from verry few of them used by the SF).
third: who would fight boko haram if you slash the budget of the military ?
fourth: One of the reasons of Nigerian economic success is that we are seen as the powerhouse of west Africa and Africa in total, so slashing military budget would undermine that position and definately destroy our economy.
fifth: you know nothing about military (I guess you chose not to learn because you hate the Nigerian military): you have to make your military great before there is any threat because once a threat appears, it would be too late to create a strong military and you would lose the war, it is just the same as preparing for a suprise test by always being ready.
sixth: Someone talked about Mali, do you want what happened to Mali to happen in Nigeria ?
seventh: insurgencies are military threats, no police in the world is able to fight insurgencies, it is the military that does the job. Many of the insurgents are foreign soldiers and the insurgents use military grade weapons, heavy weapons that police can not counter.
eithth: Pakistan population is more than that of Nigeria and its GDP is way lower than that of Nigeria, yet they spend 13 billion dollars on defence while we spend only 3 billion on defence.
tenth: I think you are the liar, you definately don't occupy the position you boasted of, because you would have had some notion of geopolitics.
eleventh: I would be the first to call for a military coup if we were not modernising our defence.
twelveth: Africom and Alqaida are new military threats to Nigeria that will never leave so we need a vibrant military to stay alive.
thirteenth: constant attacks by militants and terrorists are the two things that could reduce economy, while on the other hand the military can buil roads and use its new acquired technological know how to help the civilian populace.
And Nobody respects a country with out military power, they all see that country as a place to ransack and get quick money that is what happened to iraq and Libya. Libyan economy was perfect but the military was useless: I think you saw the result.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 22, 2013
Henry120:

I read one of your commens earlier concerning NA's ak47s.
I would like you to know that dicon is actually developpin its own new model of the rifle, Dicon is modernizing it.
So there is no need to go and buy guns from an other country.
Dicon will soon make new modern high tech ak, just wait, it is in a near future.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 22, 2013
Defenceweb: South African NEOPUP PAW20 (Personal Area Weapon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsBEQ-Pulvc&feature=player_embedded
Explosif bullets is a good idea, I think DICON can make such weapons.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 6:59pm On May 22, 2013
The NA budgets does not affect national developments, PERIOD!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 22, 2013
LT SHANGY: The NA budgets does not affect national developments, PERIOD!!
The stronger our army is, the better we can attract ivestment, because the investor would know their investment is safe.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 7:33pm On May 22, 2013
patriot4: It seems you hate the Nigeria military for one reason or an other.
But to expose you I will ask you this question: give me just one economic power without a strong military.
Second of all Nigeria doesn't purchase small arms, Dicon makes the small arms for us (except verry few of them).
third: who would fight boko haram if you slash the budget of the military ?
fourth: One of the reasons of Nigerian economic success is that we are seen as the powerhouse of west Africa and Africa in total, so slashing military budget would undermine that position and definately destroy our economy.
fifth: you know nothing about military (I guess you chose not to learn because you hate the Nigerian military): you have to make your military great before there is any threat because once a threat appears, it would be too late to create a strong military and you would lose the war, it is just the same as preparing for a suprise test by always being ready.
sixth: Someone talked about Mali, do you want what happened to Mali to happen in Nigeria ?
seventh: insurgencies are military threats, no police in the world is able to fight insurgencies, it is the military that does the job. Many of the insurgents are foreign soldiers and the insurgents use military grade weapons, heavy weapons that police can not counter.
eithth: Pakistan population is more than that of Nigeria and its GDP is way lower than that of Nigeria, yet they spend 13 billion dollars on defence while we spend only 3 billion on defence.
tenth: I think you are the liar, you definately don't occupy the position you boasted of, because you would have had some notion of geopolitics.
eleventh: I would be the first to call for a military coup if we were not modernising our defence.
twelveth: Africom and Alqaida are new military threats to Nigeria that will never live so we need a vibrant military to stay alive.
thirteenth: constant attacks by militants and terrorists are the two things that could reduce economy, while on the other hand the military can buil roads and use its new acquired technologie know how to help the civilian populace.
And Nobody respects a country with out military power, they all see that country as a place to ransack and get quick money that is what happened to iraq and Libya. Libyan economy was perfect but the military was useless: I think you saw the result.

The simple question is where are we going to get the money from?
Do we have to ignore the needs of the people and run to procure big warships which will eventually turn into white elephants?
Do you insinuate that better health facilities, education specifically our universities, infrastructure, etc, should be set aside and instead purchase big expensive warships which will have no gain in the welfare of our people nor even bearing in fighting insurgency as they will be cruising our seas?
Do you also suggest that we should forget about the future of our young potential engineers who can change the likes of DICON for good?
Do you think there will be any engineers who will be fascinated to live and work in Nigeria if the whole country is focusing its energy in importing technology?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 22, 2013
@ndubuisi is not working for the FG like he claimed. Many people have given you enough already ndubuisi. But i am going to add one more thing here.

You said nigeria isnt planing to mordernise its military but the president when commisioning the NNS Andoni said that in the next 10-20 years, Nigeria will start talking about puting her self in the air. Thats the word of your president, the one who knows better than you.

You said nigeria isnt planing to expand military yet we built APCs, navy ships, OBJ 006 etc.

You also made a comment that got me laughing and made me doubt if you are educated. You said security and military are different. Pls tell us how different they are. Dont give "security is police while military is...a statement i know you will not be able to complete.

You are just another fellow who who hates Nigeria like their own shi.t!

With the way the navy is now, they cant even stop piracy and oil theft yet one ndubuisi is calling for a halt in improving the navy's arsenal. Thank God our govt officials are as intelligent as augagust and not as dumb as you ndubuisi.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

The simple question is where are we going to get the money from?
Do we have to ignore the needs of the people and run to procure big warships which will eventually turn into white elephants?
Do you insinuate that better health facilities, education specifically our universities, infrastructure, etc, should be set aside and instead purchase big expensive warships which will have no gain in the welfare of our people nor even bearing in fighting insurgency as they will be cruising our seas?
Do you also suggest that we should forget about the future of our young potential engineers who can change the likes of DICON for good?
Do you think there will be any engineers who will be fascinated to live and work in Nigeria if the whole country is focusing its energy in importing technology?
Look there are many things here that you can answer on your own.
The education sector is vital to the military sector, I advocate that every Nigerian should be given free education and that primary and secondary education should be compulsery. I don't know if you are aware but military officers make verry good teachers. Go and meet people graduatiing from NMS and those from Airforce schools, they receive a top education. And for technology, you are contradicting yorself, we need technology because that would be vital to change our economy from raw materials to manufactured ones. Oil will soon finish, we have to be prepared for that.
Military and education are two sides of the same sword, you need that sword to defend the nation.
Myself I have a masters degree I know the value of education.
Look at Iran: there are so many sanctions against that country, yet it is investing a lot on its military and virtually every Iranian is educated.
Good hospitals and good roads and industrialisation are a result of a good education, and stoping them from being bombed by Nato jets is the result of a good military. We need both. Even the military spends a lot on educating its officers and soldiers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Ndubuisi711: 7:59pm On May 22, 2013
patriot4: The stronger our army is, the better we can attract ivestment, because the investor would know their investment is safe.

Having the strong military does not mean that it cannot rebel against its own government. We have seen such armies taking over their governments by force. Stability of one country is what attracts investments and not that the country has a strong military force.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 22, 2013
Ndubuisi711:

Having the strong military does not mean that it cannot rebel against its own government. We have seen such armies taking over their governments by force. Stability of one country is what attracts investments and not that the country has a strong military force.
I think it is time you stoped changing the subject. What you've just said doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about. Could you call a nation safe when it can't defend itself from any foreign invasion ? Would youcall it stable if terrorists are nearby and the nation's military is not able to defend itself ?
You are talking like a child. You have been proven wrong, so please just accept it and stop arguing like without reason.
The fact is that Nigeria would be worse than somalia if the military was not a regional power.

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.