Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,141 members, 7,860,106 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:30 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (790) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4464104 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (787) (788) (789) (790) (791) (792) (793) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MiguelMi6(m): 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2013
Henry120:

Our very own leo messi!!! Welcome to nairaland.
Thank you very much.You seem tp be a nice person.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MiguelMi6(m): 7:12pm On Sep 24, 2013
Henry120:

Our very own leo messi!!! Welcome to nairaland.
Thank you very much.You seem to be a nice person.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Stay with the rumours! angry angry angry
Bloody Nigerian there were images of super hinds flying close to the complex.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 7:18pm On Sep 24, 2013
Henry120:

What I meant was their are many spoof accounts operated by people who have no connection whatsoever to al shabaab, claiming to speak for the group. I did not say al shabaab has many accounts.
Can you give me the handles of the fake ones you know?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by UyiIredia(m): 7:23pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:

Whose ? And pardon my ignorance but why were they there
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 7:40pm On Sep 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The Nigerian military undertakes urban warfare operation with the Boko Haram. They do attack parts of important but lesser known towns in Nigeria's Northern region.

I mean urban warfare like in much bigger cities like Lagos and Abuja. Small towns also constitute urban warfare but not as challenging as when you will have to engage the enemy in mega cities with high skyscrapers and much bigger infrastructure. The enemy use such tall buildings as cover and hideouts and the encounter can even take longer when the enemy has taken in hostages. Ofcourse, you can only use limited fire since heavy firepower can demolish structures.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by UyiIredia(m): 7:46pm On Sep 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

I mean urban warfare like in much bigger cities like Lagos and Abuja. Small towns also constitute urban warfare but not as challenging as when you will have to engage the enemy in mega cities with high skyscrapers and much bigger infrastructure. The enemy use such tall buildings as cover and hideouts and can even take longer when the enemy has taken in hostages. Ofcourse, you can only use limited fire since heavy firepower can demolish structures.

Okay thanks for the info. Now I came accross a criticism that the Kenyan soldiers had guns down and they should have pointed guns up so as to be able to respond quicker on seeing the enemy. Is this justified ?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Okay thanks for the info. Now I came accross a criticism that the Kenyan soldiers had guns down and they should have pointed guns up so as to be able to respond quicker on seeing the enemy. Is this justified ?

Well I get your point, but any military has own culture of carrying riffles AK47 and the R4s are not the right kind of weapons to be used indoors, since they will tire you quickly when they are always held up high and there are special machine guns which are more lighter to be used under such situations. Infact, they are specifically designed to be used indoors and within vehicles because they are more portable and shorter to be used in confined spaces.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
First 1. Egypt will always be ranked below South Africa,Ethiopia and Nigeria. Because they have never proved them selves in the battlefield. Equipment won't raise their rank,because they had superior equipment during the Yim Koppur war like the T-62(with night vision capabilities,Israel centurion tank crews had to use NVG to find targets during the night),portable anti aircraft missiles and anti tank missiles(like the deadly wire guided Sagger missile). But Egypt was badly beaten,Israel cut through their flanks to capture or threatened Cairo. Second. 2 Their soldiers can't fight all over Africa(sub-saharan africa to be specific),they're trained for desert warfare. We all know what happens when desert commandos try to fight in the sub-saharan. We saw it in Uganda when Libyan commandos were easily defeated. Third 3. Like Israelis would say "Arabs can't fight".

this reminds me of how a whole arab league (with qatar, saudi, UAE and egypt that have better weapons and airforce) had to beg the west to send their own soldiers to fight in their back yard. something that a lesser equipped and ill funded African Union will never try.

i'll have to agree with you on this one.

so the legit list should be Nigeria,.....everyone else grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

i don't think it would have been right for them to have their guns pointed forward since there were too many innocent people moving around, but their fingers were on the trigger for any eventuality. what got me frustrated though is how scared they were at the sound of any gunshot.

watch this video and see how they panicked like civilians as guns were blazing grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSnIi2lzfE
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Whose ? And pardon my ignorance but why were they there
Unlike your brothers,you're asking nicely. Here then: The South African company(ATE) upgraded Algerian Hinds to super hinds. During the hostage drama in that Algerian oil complex. Attack helicopters were rumoured to have been used to destroy "technicals" with hostages. Though some people say it was tanks not helos. But hinds were flying above that complex,that's a fact.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 9:18pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
You know I'm open of a fair debate. Until you bustards bring up insults. Since you agree with this: "Let's talk about military stuff"

Good to see CraigB's name is invoked at every turn around these parts. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by BCraig: 9:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
MiguelMi6: Am Argentine-Nigerian

grin grin grin grin

They have started with their stories.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Unlike your brothers,you're asking nicely. Here then: The South African company(ATE) upgraded Algerian Hinds to super hinds. During the hostage drama in that Algerian oil complex. Attack helicopters were rumoured to have been used to destroy "technicals" with hostages. Though some people say it was tanks not helos. But hinds were flying above that complex,that's a fact.

your consistent use of the word "rumor" makes you sound unsure. BBC did a small documentary on the operation and it was Hinds helos that were used. those guys didn't care about the hostages, all they wanted to do was kill all the insurgents so they fired rockets from the helos at the vehicles used as decoys with hostages in it for escape.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2013
@andrewza, i read you post on @henry120's thread that the FN-SCAR has it's problems. am not familiar with weapons spec so can you expantiate a little. cos i've heard several time that the weapon is the most accurate in the world.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
chris365: @andrewza, i read you post on @henry120's thread that the FN-SCAR has it's problems. am not familiar with weapons spec so can you expantiate a little. cos i've heard several time that the weapon is the most accurate in the world.

Big and bulky. All so there is not a big enough duifreince between the MK16 version and current 5.56mm US rifels.

Basicaly it is rather standard and no better of than the current sytems.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 9:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
chris365:

your consistent use of the word "rumor" makes you sound unsure. BBC did a small documentary on the operation and it was Hinds helos that were used. those guys didn't care about the hostages, all they wanted to do was kill all the insurgents so they fired rockets from the helos at the vehicles used as decoys with hostages in it for escape.

Rumor peddlers will be treated as such. The insults are those from an empty skull. Never he has the opportunity to redeem himself whenever he provides evidence to back up the rumour. We all know the drill therefore Mike..ZA must comply no matter how much insults he spits out with his fangs!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 10:02pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:

Bloody brainless South African. Ever heared the words citation/reference/source in your short lifetime? If yes, then use them to back up your claims! No rumours allowed here! Blockhead! angry angry angry angry
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:03pm On Sep 24, 2013
chris365:

this reminds me of how a whole arab league (with qatar, saudi, UAE and egypt that have better weapons and airforce) had to beg the west to send their own soldiers to fight in their back yard. something that a lesser equipped and ill funded African Union will never try.

i'll have to agree with you on this one.

so the legit list should be Nigeria,.....everyone else grin grin
If we are going to rank Africa's armed forces. 1. It shouldn't be about countries' armed forces only we need to look into the politics of the countries. 2. The stability of the country(militarily and politically) 3. We should look into the economy(countries need money to fund wars,in a last resort military constructors might be paid big money to fight for a country). 4. Security of the countries (If you're gonna go on a full blown war of tanks,fighter jets,artillery,APCs and supply trucks your country must be secured from terrorists,armed groups and hostile nations) or else while your army is out defending your nation,some group or terrorist group might grab the opportunity and open a second front at home with devastating results. 5. Arms supply( A country need to get or procure arms quick quick,with spare parts and maintaining systems),getting arms from the black market might mean your country will only buy small arms and these can be threatened by special forces on sabotage missions. 6. Allies(Say a country is hit with sanctions,allies will be needed to procure arms and spare parts) Like Kenya and Sudan. And resupply the country in war secretly with fresh troops. Just to mention a few.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 10:11pm On Sep 24, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

You don't get my point, I am specifically referring to the situation in Kenya where they are faced with a difficult challenge of their lives fighting the enemy in a confined space. I haven't commented anything about my combat experience concerning urban warfare, but the only thing that I was taught about was that is more toughest than bush or jungle war. It is always your 419 brain that gives you hallucinations.

Tell your military school teachers that they taught you rubbish! Now it's clear why you guys talk like kids. You still have not shown reasonable basis for your previous comments! Suegbe! Bush war is easy and UN soldiers are yet to complete battle in DRC or fully dislodge and disarm the M23? Tell your teachers to stop teaching you nonsense! cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:14pm On Sep 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Rumor peddlers will be treated as such. The insults are those from an empty skull. Never he has the opportunity to redeem himself whenever he provides evidence to back up the rumour. We all know the drill therefore Mike..ZA must comply no matter how much insults he spits out with his fangs!
He just told you Hinds were used. Why don't you ask him for proof?. And I only spit "venom" in return never on the offensive.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Tell your military school teachers that they taught you rubbish! Now it's clear why you guys talk like kids. You still have not shown reasonable basis for your previous comments! Suegbe! Bush war is easy and UN soldiers are yet to complete battle in DRC or fully dislodge and disarm the M23? Tell your teachers to stop teaching you nonsense! cool cool cool
The bush war was never easy. Nigeria has never fought a war like the bush war. A war of tanks to artillery. The Bush war allowed South Africa to develop systems fitted for the African battle space. This is the reason why SAAF asked SAAB to "South Africanise" the Gripen a bit. It is the same reason why the Badger Vehicle will be built in SA with Denel weapons and LMT armour. Nigeria buys any systems it thinks will operate well in Africa. I once said this before that a mine fields can stop the 150 000 strong Nigerian forces. Giving time for another country to call up reserves,armed them and head straight to the front lines to meet the enemy. Or bring up to operational standards some non-operational systems like tanks and armoured fighting vehicle.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 11:31pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
He just told you Hinds were used. Why don't you ask him for proof?. And I only spit "venom" in return never on the offensive.

sorry we are totally different. i don't say what i'm not sure of unless it's to ask a question.

The Algerian army had two missile-carrying Mi24 Super-Hind helicopters, armoured cars, and Russian-made T90 tanks.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/algeria/9814510/Algeria-hostage-crisis-Most-weapons-used-in-attack-came-from-Libya.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Can you give me the handles of the fake ones you know?

I don't know any. However it was reported in the news( aljazeera) that there were many spoof handles of al-shabab on twitter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 11:56pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mike..ZA:
The bush war was never easy. Nigeria has never fought a war like the bush war. A war of tanks to artillery. The Bush war allowed South Africa to develop systems fitted for the African battle space. This is the reason why SAAF asked SAAB to "South Africanise" the Gripen a bit. It is the same reason why the Badger Vehicle will be built in SA with Denel weapons and LMT armour. Nigeria buys any systems it thinks will operate well in Africa. I once said this before that a mine fields can stop the 150 000 strong Nigerian forces. Giving time for another country to call up reserves,armed them and head straight to the front lines to meet the enemy. Or bring up to operational standards some non-operational systems like tanks and armoured fighting vehicle.

please stop using the bush war to justify your military ranking cos it was a war you fought for too long against an inexperienced military and didn't win.

i posted proof of how SADF was pushed back from their offensive on cuito (the only offensive they ever made) and were further pushed back to retreat. how is that something to brag about? no one doubts your capabilities to build weapons, but we are saying that your military is not up to it.

countries like Ethiopia have fought wars and won against colonial invaders, against powerful eritrea etc but we still underrate them. Uganda fought a full scale war against many nations who backed Tanzania(would have won tanzania alone) so why should you be bragging about a bush war you didn't win?

Nigeria only came close to a full scale war with cameroon of which they chickened out. aside from that, we have had small skirmishes with our neighbors and occupied small portion of chad before we were asked to withdraw. (i remember buhari commanded the artillery unit).

but we showed our might in major peace enforcements that the west were afraid to intervene in, fought the bloodiest civil war against an army that was backed by france and other african countries including SA and won. that's enough to make you sh*t your pants.

you can't claim to have military knowledge and not know that any country under sanction if not being blockaded, can still get arms secretly from any country willing to sell especially if there's a pact with such country cos war is good business for arms dealers. e.g russia continues to supply arms to syria after being sanctioned

point is... yeah you fought the bush war..."fought" not "won".... so until you are able to win any conflict, you don't have permission to use the bush war to justify your military ranking.

even egypt has a better war record than SA (at least they defeated libya).

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 25, 2013
MiguelMi6: Thank you very much.You seem to be a nice person.

I'm a nigerian. We are a very hospitable people. Forget about all the bad press, and the 1% of the population who have decided to soil or name.

If and when you visit nigeria, forget about lagos, abuja or port-harcourt. Make sure you Visit CALABAR instead. It is nigeria's number 1 holiday city. Very beautiful, green and peaceful with lots of historical and tourist attractions to see.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MiguelMi6(m): 12:04am On Sep 25, 2013
BCraig:

grin grin grin grin

They have started with their stories.

are you a comedian or what.I don't seem to understand your statement.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:06am On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:
I once said this before that a mine fields can stop the 150 000 strong Nigerian forces. Giving time for another country to call up reserves,armed them and head straight to the front lines to meet the enemy. Or bring up to operational standards some non-operational systems like tanks and armoured fighting vehicle.

a typical war tactic for SADF that was used during the bush war. while they retreated from the cubans, they laid mines to slow down the cubans from catching up fast. thereby giving the SADF more time to safely retreat. but what hapens when you push for an offensive? that's where the real battle lies. the battle of cuito exposed your weakness. after several attempts, you had to retreat and continue shelling from 40km (which is what you do best)... fight from a distance.

you can only fool a novice with the bush war nonsense. i studied it, so there's nothing you can tell me about it that i don't know

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:08am On Sep 25, 2013
MiguelMi6: are you a comedian or what.I don't seem to understand your statement.

you just encountered the clown of this thread. my advise is don't give him the attention.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MiguelMi6(m): 12:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Henry120:

I'm a nigerian. We are a very hospitable people. Forget about all the bad press, and the 1% of the population who have decided to soil or name.

If and when you visit nigeria, forget about lagos, abuja or port-harcourt. Make sure you Visit CALABAR instead. It is nigeria's number 1 holiday city. Very beautiful, green and peaceful with lots of historical and tourist attractions to see.
in Nigeria already.Came here to visit a friend of mine.We studied together in France.I got to know about this forum from the fiance.I'm impressed a forum like this exist.it's beautiful.Most of you are very smart by the way.You all handle yourself with pride as I've seen.
About the pictures I posted,I had no idea it was mainly sub-saharan military.just happened I have a spot for the Northern African giant-Egypt.I'll follow the rule from now on.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:10am On Sep 25, 2013
Henry120:

that's where i spend my holiday too. very nice city but not given enough media attention. but oga henry i love that your other thread. try to keep it alive abeg.... this one wey beeg don go AWOL
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 25, 2013
MiguelMi6: are you a comedian or what.I don't seem to understand your statement.

He is nairaland's resident racist. He is still stuck in apartheid era south-africa. doesn't want to wake up to 2013. He thinks we are still in the 60's.

(1) (2) (3) ... (787) (788) (789) (790) (791) (792) (793) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.