Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,140 members, 7,860,094 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:56 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (792) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4464075 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (789) (790) (791) (792) (793) (794) (795) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:
What destroyed the 60 out 70 tanks at the Lomba river? UNITA? NO,the SADF Ratels,G5 and G6 did. The Ratel ZT3 made its first kill during that battle. FAPLA was surprised,the element of surprise is widely used in any war. SADF's 32 battalion and 61 mechanised unit fought well in that battle. You should get Helmoed's books about accounts in the war. In some accounts today's deputy chief of the army was caught up in the fighting,while commanding his motorised infantry. Since you say Cuba was inexperience in conventional warfare,is Nigeria experienced in that? Have Nigeria ever fought against another country or enemy with paratroopers,motorised infantry,mechanised infantry,special forces,sappers(engineers) to equipment like Anti aircraft missiles,Artillery,main battle tanks,MRAPS,rocket launchers,armoured fighting vehicles,IFVs,fighter jets,supply trucks and recovery vehicles? To me the answer is NO,this proves your lack of experience.

Lomba river. a battle fought against a weak militia. that's the only thing you can brag about the bush war. it wasn't an element of surprise, it was a a battle of superior fire power (chemical weapons) against an ill equipped and ill trained militia.

but what happened when SADF decided to advance to cuito? they were bushed back to retreat to the namibian border. to me that was the real battle and you lost.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 6:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:
How many Cuban troops were deployed? Around 30 000 against 300 SADF elite warriors. The SADF totally stopped their advance and smashed them while they were retreating. Capturing cuito would have caused many casualties unless South Africa reinforced with more troops,artillery and tanks. But as the objective of stopping the advance was achieved,it was unnecessary to capture that town.

you are a gadamn liar. more than 20000 south african troops fought that war. thousands of elite troops led the advance on cuito. stop lying abeg

SA stopped FAPLA's advance, not the cubans. it was SADF's advance that was halted by the cubans.

The SADF brought up reinforcements and then carried out, beginning 13 January until 23 March, the first of what would prove to be six major ground assaults on the entrenched FAPLA positions east of the river, none of which delivered tangible results

[quoe]After the failed assault on 23 March 1988 under orders from Pretoria the SADF withdrew the bulk of their forces, initially leaving a 1,500-man "holding force" behind (Combat Group 20) to continue deception operations and lay mines in order to prevent or slow any FAPLA offensive operations[/quote]
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/Battle_of_Cuito_Cuanavale.htm

so why did you lie that you had only 300 elite forces advancing on cuito? you are a bloody liar. you just killed your own argument.

until you start telling your stories with proof from neutral sources, you remain a rumor munger. o, i forgot, you are the unsure guy grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Your information is very wrong. Russia deployed more than 10 000 soldiers to fight on along with Cuba
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angolan_Civil_War

They secretly provided military weapons, soldiers and military pilots where even several of them were taken in as POW by South African special forces as a proof of their involvement. They suffered 54 casualties. I know you copied that nonsense from @Agaugust whose knowledge about war history is zero.

you know if you want to prove someone's information to be false, the best you can do is prove your james bond stories with facts not fictions.

russia did not engage you in that war, they only assisted the cubans. there's a difference. part of the 54 casualties they suffered was the downing of a russian cargo plane by SADF. they were supplying arms, not fighting on the front lines.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

Lomba river. a battle fought against a weak militia. that's the only thing you can brag about the bush war. it wasn't an element of surprise, it was a a battle of superior fire power (chemical weapons) against an ill equipped and ill trained militia.

but what happened when SADF decided to advance to cuito? they were bushed back to retreat to the namibian border. to me that was the real battle and you lost.
A militia armed with tanks and anti craft missiles?. On the chemical weapons issue it was proven that Savimbi's troops were gased too. Are gonna say the Battle of bridge 41 was not real battle too,the SADF didn't have the G5 and G6 systems then. And the objective was to push their advance and capture cuito.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 6:41pm On Sep 25, 2013
iterator25:
This is getting serious

it's old news. weeks before the SOE

notice the the director of army public relations had been changed long ago.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

you are a gadamn liar. more than 20000 south african troops fought that war. thousands of elite troops led the advance on cuito. stop lying abeg

SA stopped FAPLA's advance, not the cubans. it was SADF's advance that was halted by the cubans.

[quoe]After the failed assault on 23 March 1988 under orders from Pretoria the SADF withdrew the bulk of their forces, initially leaving a 1,500-man "holding force" behind (Combat Group 20) to continue deception operations and lay mines in order to prevent or slow any FAPLA offensive operations
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/Battle_of_Cuito_Cuanavale.htm

so why did you lie that you had only 300 elite forces advancing on cuito? you are a bloody liar. you just killed your own argument.

until you start telling your stories with proof from neutral sources, you remain a rumor munger. o, i forgot, you are the unsure guy grin
Your problem is you confuse battles with wars. You seem to think the operations(hooper,moduler and parker) are the only battles SADF fought and won. We heard accounts of how the enemy would leave their equipment and run,if they heard the 32 battalion was advancing on their position. What would be a "neutral source" to you that I can provide?.... Wikipedia?,Quotes from our Generals and colonels after the war?.............3000 warriors under the command of Colonel(died as a SANDF Lieutenant General) Deon Ferreira.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:
A militia armed with tanks and anti craft missiles?. On the chemical weapons issue it was proven that Savimbi's troops were gased too. Are gonna say the Battle of bridge 41 was not real battle too,the SADF didn't have the G5 and G6 systems then. And the objective was to push their advance and capture cuito.

You were caught shamelessly lying by @chris.

I do have a question. Did black south africans serve in the SADF?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 7:00pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

you know if you want to prove someone's information to be false, the best you can do is prove your james bond stories with facts not fictions.

russia did not engage you in that war, they only assisted the cubans. there's a difference. part of the 54 casualties they suffered was the downing of a russian cargo plane by SADF. they were supplying arms, not fighting on the front lines.

Hehehehe! What do you say about those who were held captive as prisoners of war by South African special forces. Would you also want to tell me that they were not at war? Chief your knowledge about the bush war is as limited as that of @Agaugust. I wrote exams about that war from school and even towards to my studies at military academy. Russia was secretly involved and did not want the world to know about their secret until they were exposed, no wonder they have destroyed all the documents that linked them to that war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2013
Henry120:

Yes
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:

are you kidding me with that question or what? do you want me to start lecturing you of militias currently fielding such weapons? especially the most obvious ones currently in syria. dude, you claimed to have military knowledge. it's time to start using it please.

bridge 14 not 41 is just one of those things in war. you win some grounds and lose some. the victory in that mission was that they were able to rebuild the bridge under cuban assault. but their advance on cuito still failed and they withdrew.

but in other to sell their propaganda (which is normal during any war), they quickly made a movie about it.

i won't lie to you. the book i read only showed me how SADF was very good at holding their lines of defense. but their ability to advance on an offensive was their weakness. before that war, Cuba had no conventional warfare record. so it's only right to be fair to acknowledge their bravery and victory in some of parts of the war as well. SADF didn't have all the victory records in that war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:22pm On Sep 25, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Your problem is you confuse battles with wars. You seem to think the operations(hooper,moduler and parker) are the only battles SADF fought and won. We heard accounts of how the enemy would leave their equipment and run,if they heard the 32 battalion was advancing on their position. What would be a "neutral source" to you that I can provide?.... Wikipedia?,Quotes from our Generals and colonels after the war?.............3000 warriors under the command of Colonel(died as a SANDF Lieutenant General) Deon Ferreira.

you've come again with your "i heard" stories. you must be ignorant to know that wars depending on their terrain are fought in segments (battles).

the more battles you win, the more grounds you gain till your enemy is made to surrender. if you had won all battles in that war, you would have won the war without negotiations.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
andrewza:

Yes

wow. i haven't seen any black SADF before. it must have been very tough for them
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 7:31pm On Sep 25, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

Hehehehe! What do you say about those who were held captive as prisoners of war by South African special forces. Would you also want to tell me that they were not at war? Chief your knowledge about the bush war is as limited as that of @Agaugust. I wrote exams about that war from school and even towards my studies at military academy. Russia was secret involved and did not want the world to know about their secret until they were exposed, no wonder they have destroyed all the documents that linked them to that war.

you must have failed that exam. no wonder you are just a guard soldier grin

so the russian president emailed you that they burnt all documents of their involvement in the war? why is it was still evident everywhere?

i'm telling you that if russia had fought you, SA will be a wasteland by now. especially with your continuous use of chemical weapons then.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 8:03pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

wow. i haven't seen any black SADF before. it must have been very tough for them

Not has bad has you think.

Some of the best units in the SADF were mixed chief among them 32 battlion and speciol forces the polieve kovoet were all so mixed.

They were not alowed to become officers for along time and the were no blacks in the old Navy. All so there pay was lower and a bunch of other stuff.

There were all so all the home land armies and the SWA poliece force.

Has was siad in blood diamonds. There was no aparthied in the bush.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:11pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

so the russian president emailed you that they burnt all documents of their involvement in the war? why is it was still evident everywhere?

i'm telling you that if russia had fought you, SA will be a wasteland by now. especially with your continuous use of chemical weapons then.

Why can't you let the masters to teach you other than taking rubbish from your fellow empty- headed countrymen. History has always been my favourite subject at school and oh! Yes I did pass my exams with flying colours. Sometimes I also enjoy to spend time with former MK- SADF soldiers who are still serving in the SANDF to hear from them how the war was like in Angola. Unlike you who rely on internet for information and come to post hogwash in order to deceive people. Russian troops did fight against South Africa and two of their cargo ships fully loaded with ammunition was demolished by South African Special Forces: http://www.sadf.info/TitleSpecialForces.html

War is not as easy as you speak, even the superpowers they treat very carefully when fighting underdogs. America will narrate a better story to you in that regard about their engagement with a tiny Irag which led to them suffering major casualties at the hands of a monster Saddam Hussein. It is very unfortunate that Bush the first is no more to tell the story and I hope he would have narrated it better to you. It doesn't matter how big Russia was but they still had that little respect for SADF and SA special forces and even to make matters worse SA was a nuclear power by then. They had the backing of America and Israel and anything that threatened their freedom would have drove them to resort to nuclear warheads. The Bush war was in effect not the war of South Africa, they were merely mercenaries supporting UNITA.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by FighterPilot(m): 8:45pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

There were many black soldiers who served under SADF recruited through VMS (Voluntary Military Service) and white people were conscripted compulsory: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Conscription_Campaign

There were also many black police men who were recruited by apartheid security forces and majority of them were used on anti-riots campaigns and as a results making them victims of having their houses burned or being killed by necklace lynching ( putting the tire around the neck of victims and burn them alive)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:47pm On Sep 25, 2013
Henry120:

You were caught shamelessly lying by @chris.

He can't differentiate between a war and a battle. He counts the number of men who fought in Angola since the 1970. Not during the operation hooper,moduler and parker........On your question: Yes,they were black soldiers in the SADF. The decorated special force operator was black. Some were even officers. And I'm not talking about the 32 battalion.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

are you kidding me with that question or what? do you want me to start lecturing you of militias currently fielding such weapons? especially the most obvious ones currently in syria. dude, you claimed to have military knowledge. it's time to start using it please.

bridge 14 not 41 is just one of those things in war. you win some grounds and lose some. the victory in that mission was that they were able to rebuild the bridge under cuban assault. but their advance on cuito still failed and they withdrew.

but in other to sell their propaganda (which is normal during any war), they quickly made a movie about it.

i won't lie to you. the book i read only showed me how SADF was very good at holding their lines of defense. but their ability to advance on an offensive was their weakness. before that war, Cuba had no conventional warfare record. so it's only right to be fair to acknowledge their bravery and victory in some of parts of the war as well. SADF didn't have all the victory records in that war.
Oh I made a mistake there(about the bridge). But here's a quote
""Bridge 14"
The Battle of "Bridge 14" was fought on the 9
December at the Nhia River at 11°03′03″S
15°04′49″E / 11.050839°S 15.080325°E. An
important bridge structure located there had
been demolished by withdrawing Cuban forces
in an ultimately futile attempt to stall the
South African Defence Force as it marched on
Quibala. The South African forces were known
as Battle Group Foxbat under the command of
Commandant George Kruys.[56]
The South Africans managed to place a handful
of observers on a nearby hill dubbed "Top Hat",
from which they were able to direct 5.5 inch
artillery fire effectively against the enemy
positions.[57] South African sappers
successfully rebuilt the bridge despite heavy
Cuban opposition, allowing an infantry and
armoured car column to breach the river.[58]
A number of Sagger missile crews had
expected to ambush the advancing vehicles,
but the South Africans carefully skirted the
road, routing the Cuban-MPLA troops on the
opposite bank.
During the fighting, Danny Roxo claimed to
have single-handedly killed twelve Cuban and
MPLA soldiers while conducting a
reconnaissance of the bridge, an action for
which he was awarded the Honoris Crux.[59]
Several other South African military personnel
were decorated with the medal for bravery
during this battle, some posthumously. It is
estimated 400 Cuban and MPLA soldiers died in
the attack while the South Africans lost four
SADF soldiers"..... Tell me again the SADF couldn't advance. On the Syrian thing. Those rebels are trained soldiers some who defected from the army. Returning to the bush war USSR trained a lot enemy soldiers. Cuba's inexperience won't count cause they were advised by the highly experienced USSR officers. Your country lacks experience,Cuba made it up by having experienced officers to advise them. Nigeria doesn't have any experienced "allies".
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

you've come again with your "i heard" stories. you must be ignorant to know that wars depending on their terrain are fought in segments (battles).

the more battles you win, the more grounds you gain till your enemy is made to surrender. if you had won all battles in that war, you would have won the war without negotiations.
South Africa was concerned about the security of SWA. That's why they wouldn't want Cuba and its allies to march toward that boarder. Remember back then South Africa occupied(colonised) Namibia,should we have taken control of Angola? Who would do the peacekeeping missions?.......It is a fact that most former 32 battalion are still talking about such accounts,where the enemy would run without putting up a fight. They known as the terrible ones,now wonder why that name!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:22pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

By "very tough" you mean?...The soldiers on the ground were not racist. I just can't find this documentary which was aired on Mzansi(the TV channel on DSTV). Where most veterans from the 32 battalion and other units would say "when going to combat we would all wear black paint on our faces and looked the same". They even spent time with 'some' UNITA troops.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 10:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
chris365:

The USSR wouldn't dare attack South Africa. The "vela incident" which is still classified today,happened when things were heating up. The SADF called its reserves to a full strength of 150 000 men to send a clear message to the enemy. Even if the USSR attacked the SADF allies would have reacted like Israel,UNITA,RENAMO and likely the CIA(USA).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MiguelMi6(m): 10:52pm On Sep 25, 2013
kwame tut: @Miguel
KEEP WONDERING STEVIE WONDER. grin grin grin grin grin

Your eyes can only see my posts, what brought me here are insults from Agaust and his AGBEROS squad. cool cool cool cool cool

Its funny now they have changed their colours bloody CHAMELEONS. tongue tongue tongue tongue
you seem to have made it a mission to insult them in that manner.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:14am On Sep 26, 2013
@agaugustus what are your comments to this development: Nigeria: Shekau Appears in New Video, Says 'I Am Alive'

Leader of the Jama'atu Ahlis Sunnah Lidda'awati Wal Jihad, also known as Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, today said the Nigerian Military should bury itself in shame because he is alive.

Shekau also claimed responsibility of Tuesday, 17th September, 2013 attacks in Benisheik, Borno State where over 160 people were either shot dead or slaughtered and hundreds of houses burnt.

The then Joint Task Force (JTF) spokesman in Borno State, Lt Col Sagir Musa, had issued a statement on 19th August, 2013 to the effect that "Intelligence report available to the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation Restore Order revealed that Abubakar Shekau, the most dreaded and wanted terrorists leader may have died. He died of gunshots wounds received in an encounter with the JTF in one of their camps in Sambisa Forest on 30th June, 2013.

"Shekau was mortally wounded in the encounter and was sneaked into Amitchide-a border community in Cameroon for treatment from which he never recovered," the JTF statement said.

But in the latest video, Shekau who appeared in military camouflage uniform, seated and surrounded by hooded insurgents said "Here I am, alive, hale and hearty. Sagir Musa should bury himself in shame, President Jonathan (of Nigeria) should bury himself in shame, President Obama (of United States of America) should bury himself in shame, and President Francois Hollande (of France) should bury himself in shame, Queen Elizabeth (of England) should bury herself in shame," he said.

According to Shekau, "They said I am dead, but here I am. The world should know that I am alive and will only die at the appointed time. Everybody should be judged according to the dictates of his conscience. What I am doing is written in the Holy Qur'an and the Hadith and I will not stop. I challenge all the clerics of the world to question my deeds. Those underrating my capacity should have a re-think. I will never allow democracy to thrive.

"The concept of Government of the people by the people for the people will never be possible and will never exist. Democracy shall be replaced only by the government of Allah, from Allah and for Allah," he said.

He said the Nigerian military will never subdue his group. "Nigerian soldiers are late. After killing many of them in Monguno and Benisheik, we have snatched their armoured carriers and Hilux van and then hoisted Islamic flags on them. We now move freely with them," he said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201309251290.html?aa_source=mf-hdlns
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:25am On Sep 26, 2013
The historical facts written in blood during the battles of Angola would not be changed by some military illiterate experts who believes distortion of facts would be believed. Books have been written, experts opinions offered and commanders who led the actual battles telling the real story have been recorded....not some inferiority struck individuals that vomit dung as facts.

SADF during the period of 1980's did outclass and destroyed the combined forces of SWAPO, FAPLA, CUBANS & RUSSIANS WITH ALMOST MINIMUM CASUALTIES TO BOTH MATERIAL AND PERESONNEL.

NAIRAS STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF BY OFFERING UNTESTED, unpractical and distorted military questions.....accept that Nigeria would never match proud South African history or show us Nigerian military history or forever hold your distorted views.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:59am On Sep 26, 2013
A STORY OF FLEEGING NIGERIAN SOLDIER @AGAUSGUSTUS..........HAHAHAHHAHH REMEMBER BANGUI

Fleeing soldiers

A soldier in Benisheik said they could not stand the superior fire power of Boko Haram.

“They were using anti-aircraft guns while we were using AK47 rifles and some RPGs. They came in droves driving about 20 pickup trucks accompanied by two light armored tankers, all wearing our military colours – desert-camo . We had to retreat to our base to reinforce after running out of arms. But they followed us down there, surrounded our base and began to to shell our building. We couldn’t stand the heat of their superior fire power. We had to retreat into the village after they killed two of our soldiers and three policemen. They left with an armoured tanker and four military patrol trucks,” the soldier said.

At the palace of the district head of Benisheik, where vehicles were taken away and one burnt, a staff, Abacha Wakil, narrated to journalists how the gunmen attacked and beheaded people in the village.

“The Boko Haram gunmen invaded the town at about 7:45 p.m., after attacking the military base at the outskirts of the town. The soldier ran to us here at the palace of the District Head and warned us to run for our dear lives. They said they had ran out of ammunition and the terrorists are carrying sophisticated arms.

“No sooner had the soldiers warned us than the Boko Haram gunmen arrived in droves; all dressed in military uniforms and carrying guns. They came in about 30 vehicles. We had to run for our lives. I took refuge inside the millet plantation near the District Head’s palace. The gunmen spread out and began to shoot and set houses ablaze. They did not leave until about 3:30 am. We all spent the night inside the bush. In the morning, we found that they had beheaded 14 persons, mostly those in the Civilian-JTF, and left with at least 21 vehicles and a Tata truck filled with food items looted from the shops they also set ablaze.”

Mr. Wakil said most of the young men killed were beheaded.

“Their bodies were completely separated from their bodies. The death could have been more if the soldiers had not run down to warn us in good time that we should run for dear lives.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/145118-untold-story-of-how-boko-haram-overrun-nigerian-soldiers-massacre-hundreds-in-borno.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:13am On Sep 26, 2013
Thiza:

@agaugustus what are your comments to this development: Nigeria: Shekau Appears in New Video, Says 'I Am Alive'

http://allafrica.com/stories/201309251290.html?aa_source=mf-hdlns

post the new Shekau boko haram's 'dead but alive' leader video for us to see....if not, please sharaaap my friend grin

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:16am On Sep 26, 2013
Thiza: A STORY OF FLEEGING NIGERIAN SOLDIER @AGAUSGUSTUS..........HAHAHAHHAHH REMEMBER BANGUI

Fleeing soldiers

A soldier in Benisheik said they could not stand the superior fire power of Boko Haram.

“They were using anti-aircraft guns while we were using AK47 rifles and some RPGs. They came in droves driving about 20 pickup trucks accompanied by two light armored tankers, all wearing our military colours – desert-camo .
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/145118-untold-story-of-how-boko-haram-overrun-nigerian-soldiers-massacre-hundreds-in-borno.html

it is funny that the 'retreating' or 'fleeing' army is winning the battles everytime grin

"The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Brig-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, also disclosed that a key commander of the insurgents, one Abba Goroma was also killed.

Attahiru described Goroma as a high value target, on whose head had been placed a N10-million bounty.

“A chief insurgent commander, Abba Goroma, was killed. If you recall, he had a N10-million bounty placed on his head. He is a high value target of the terrorist organisation,” he said.

On the high casualty figures recorded by its soldiers, he said the online reports were grossly exaggerated and should be discountenanced.

“I advise you to discountenance that report. I want to tell you that that report is not true. Yes, there was an encounter between us and members of Boko Haram insurgents but the casualties you read must be discountenanced,” he said.

The army spokesman, however, did admit that there was fierce fight between the troops of 81 Battalion from the new 7 Division of the Nigerian Army and members of Boko Haram on September 12, but insisted it was the insurgents that sustained the high casualties.

He said despite the spirited resistance by the terrorist group, the troops of the Nigerian Army were able to dislodge them from their Kafiya Forest camp bases, which he added was one of their remaining safe havens.

Brigadier General Attahiru said: “There was an encounter between us and the insurgents at Kafiya Forest. On September 12, 2013, troops of the 81 Battalion, under the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, carried out a deliberate attack by assaulting the enemy camp, the insurgents’ camp, at Kafiya Forest.

“The battle was very fierce and it lasted for several hours. The enemy camp was well fortified with anti-aircraft and anti-tank weapons mounted on vehicles.

“At the end of the fire-fight, over 150 insurgents were killed and the enemy or insurgent camps cleared. We lost an officer and 15 soldiers killed in action, while nine soldiers are missing.”

http://thewillnigeria.com/news/army-over-150-boko-haram-insurgents-15-soldiers-killed-in-borno/

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:23am On Sep 26, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Have you ever seen a real MRAP? This "things" can't take on a land mine

saengine:

You think those vehicles will hit a land mine and KEEP GOING? Hahaha....ok then grin grin

do you south africans know the meanining of MRAP ? tell us the definition grin

also show us neutral and technically competent source that says south african MRAPS are the only ones that are effective, while Israeli, Russian or German MRAPS are failures.

i dont know again if you south africans are on this forum to inform people or just to attack everything i say even if it will make you look like big time fools grin

http://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2011_army_military_defense_industry_news/the_new_russian_mrap_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_spm-3_bear_ballistic_enhanced_armour_0601117-7.html

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 3:27am On Sep 26, 2013
Fighter Pilot:

I will not explain myself to civilians who have never attended any military academy and who have even misleaded people by saying that Air strikes cannot be used in the jungles. The Jungle warfare is not a specialised training and any soldier who has never been trained in jugles can be utilised effectively to fight in jungles depending on the experience of the commander. Urban warfare is completely different and in most countries is only carried out by special forces. The is no any difficult war in the world as that which involves lives of civilians and I hope you understand that lives of civilians must be protected at all times. Urban warfare restrict you to a limited firepower and air strikes are ruled completely useless. Nigeria failed to handle it successfully in Baga where they have killed more than 200 civilians on air strikes in just a small town. What if it was in Lagos? The whole of it would have been flat by now if the would have employed the same approach.

Bush war and desert war is even regarded as being the most toughest as it does not provide any cover and soldiers are exposed to fire most of the times. Jungle warfare only makes it difficult to see the enermy from distance but its advantage is that it provides a perfact cover for your own armies.

the two south africans who 'liked' your above quoted comment should tell us their names ...i want to rope the 3 of you together into one single mud-pit when i reply to this post on friday...i am busy at work for the next 36 hours.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 5:14am On Sep 26, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Egypt didn't have the upper hand. Cairo was about to be captured and the USA flown supplies like the TOW missiles to the Israelis. Remember the battle of the Chinese farm?

that is what the public believes, buy military experts have a different conclusion.

i have watched a video of the war made by military generals in 3D images plus the historical records and expert analysis.

the yom kippur war, egypt almost defeated israel....but it ended in a stalemate of no winner. like cuba vs south africa.

"The final situation on the Egyptian front

Despite Israel's tactical successes west of the canal, the Egyptian military was reformed and organized. Consequently, The Israeli military position became "weak" for different reasons, "One, Israel now had a large force (about six or seven brigades) in a very limited area of land, surrounded from all sides either by natural or man-made barriers, or by the Egyptian forces. This put Israel in a weak position."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 5:18am On Sep 26, 2013
agaugust:

also show us neutral and technically competent source that says south african MRAPS are the only ones that are effective, while Israeli, Russian or German MRAPS are failures.

i dont know again if you south africans are on this forum to inform people or just to attack everything i say even if it will make you look like big time fools grin

http://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2011_army_military_defense_industry_news/the_new_russian_mrap_wheeled_armoured_vehicle_spm-3_bear_ballistic_enhanced_armour_0601117-7.html

The term MRAP was coined by the US miltary in iraq and afghanstan. SA does not have MRAPs since all our vechiles are mine restent and armoured.

The casspir is the most sucfull MRAP, the desgine was copied by the US.

No matter the MRAP used when one is hit it is stoped only a few AFV such has the rooikat can keep going with missing wheels.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 7:27am On Sep 26, 2013
agaugust:

Those vehicles are designed to dissipate energy during a blast. Mine resistant doesnt mean you can keep driving over land mines like they're nothing. A wheel might be blown off or panels crumble. Go on youtute and see what happens to vehicles that hit IED's. Only the heavier, bulkier vehicles such as the Casspir were able to drive over a few mines.....but even they would eventually be demobalised.

(1) (2) (3) ... (789) (790) (791) (792) (793) (794) (795) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.