Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302512 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:17pm On Jan 21, 2019
sharpboyus:

Private��
Really?, with average income, how do one cope.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 12:56pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Any help about educational system in the UK. Primary and Secondary. The Public VS Private

Kindly intimate me.

In the UK its Public V Govt (Grammar, Comprehensive, Church).

At the end of the day, in my opinion it depends on the child. I know loads of kids who went to comprehensive schools and have got very good grades. Saying that if you can afford to take your kid to a public school without stressing yourself by all means please do.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 12:57pm On Jan 21, 2019
Instead, look for an area with a good school to reside in.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 1:02pm On Jan 21, 2019
Rubyventures:

In the UK its Public V Govt (Grammar, Comprehensive, Church).

At the end of the day, in my opinion it depends on the child. I know loads of kids who went to comprehensive schools and have got very good grades. Saying that if you can afford to take your kid to a public school without stressing yourself by all means please do.

So public actually means paid?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 1:03pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

So public actually means paid?

Yes Nigeria's version for private

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:28pm On Jan 21, 2019
Mamatukwas:

That your Zone Is almost central Glasgow smiley The closer you are to the city the more expensive I think. You were close to IKEA my love... I drive almost 50mins to get there so you can understand why my rent better make sense! wink

I was 30 minutes away from Glasgow and also 30 minutes away from Ikea at the time.
Your rent sweet make i no lie. cry

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2019
claremont:

grin grin grin

You need to explore your hidden potential in writing, very good descriptor here.

grin If you know the man ehh,there's no other way to describe a person who looks so miserable,even to order food your liver will cut at the thought of the face and rude words..
I used to prepare myself psychologically just to go there
You pay for food and eat it in mental agony.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

I appreciate u sir
Cheers!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:34pm On Jan 21, 2019
Yinkzy03:
I'm sure you have answered all his questions and you even gave him jara, wekldone maam

kiss
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 3:35pm On Jan 21, 2019
Please i need help with accommodation in Salford manchester, the best site to get one. I have a 3 years old son. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 3:44pm On Jan 21, 2019
imnotconfused:

grin If you know the man ehh,there's no other way to describe a person who looks so miserable,even to order food your liver will cut at the thought of the face and rude words..
I used to prepare myself psychologically just to go there
You pay for food and eat it in mental agony.

This is the reason most African businesses don't do well here. The customer service is next to nothing, when you are buying stuff from them they act as if they are doing you a favour by selling to you. They have their faces like they just sucked on a lemon and they will be on the phone and expect you to be waiting for them to finish their phone call.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:56pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Any help about educational system in the UK. Primary and Secondary. The Public VS Private

Kindly intimate me.

Hmmmmm this one is complicated.
I intend to go private aka public school for Secondary with my kids ,earlier if there's cash.

But just incase we cannot,we chose to live in a place with about 2 outstanding Comprehensive Secondary Schools and a third good one with good after secondary destination for the school leavers.

Your child can do great wherever he/she is and you can even try private and the child will still be a bandit,there's no definite answer.

BUT UK is a funny place.

Where you live matters,the activities your child engages in matters,the friends they make matter.

If you live in a Council Estate riddled with drugs and alcohol with people who refuse to work/have never worked a day in their lives,there will be a bigger struggle to raise your child with these obstacles all around.

These areas don't tend to have good schools mainly due to lack of motivation and aspiration,children who were raised not to expect much in life so they don't want to learn and will disrupt your own kids lives.

Some kids want better but cannot and don't know how because of lack of guidance,so a lot of them fall into the same trap their parents fell into and never find a way out.

My colleague said her classmates are in prison,using drugs,saddled with kids just because even the teachers did not believe in their students and did not expect anything from them.She didn't know how to apply for UNI,no real guidance on how to present herself for interviews etc,no extra curriculars to add to her CV etc.

There's no single way to get it right except starting from Day 1 to speak with your kids and engage them in different activities,teach teach teach and listen.

My reasoning has always been to live in a good area for starters,this increases your chances of living around people with close to the same mindset as you.People who have work ethics ,who have ambitions and expectations for their children-this makes a difference.

These good areas tend to be a bit more expensive unfortunately,because of the cohort,the schools in these areas tend to be good as parents are involved in the lives of their kids,use tutors etc so better results..so the better to schools,the higher the house prices.

Here,education is not just about book.It also encompasses raising a rounded individual.. ballet, holidays, swimming, cooking, baking, scouts ,playing instruments,school trips to different countries etc
All these things enter CV and make a big difference

PUBLIC SCHOOL:

It can be quite costly,crippling sef if not planned well.
People doing odd jobs have done it but it involves working morning to night to send their kids there(one taxi driver i know did this),and the connections there may save someone for life.Members of the Alumni may be in high places etc

Eg your child's friend's father may be a top person somewhere and can easily get your child a space for work experience without long story

There's this confidence these kids have,i cannot explain it..when you meet kids in public schools,you know.There is something..The parents too expect high standards because of the fees they are paying so no slacking.Expectations are high.

The schools also are equipped with all sorts of things the state schools cannot afford,the length and breadth of extra curriculars they are exposed to,countless.Languages,instruments,hockey,rugby,cricket etc

You may get these in posh state schools and posh grammar.

GRAMMAR :
I don't live in a Grammar area so can't comment much on this but they Selective schools that do very well.
You enter strictly by Merit so very intelligent people.People start tutoring for this one early but if you ask them they deny and claim the child is not even revising.

Primary: I'm not really bothered about this one as i can supplement at home but we are in a church primary.Some people will argue about foundation,but i'm just not really bothered as again we are in a good area so all the primaries are good.

Ofsted -the school rating body,i don't really trust their reports.Go to a school and get a feel of it.

I forgot to add that you'll mostly be in your catchment school ie people that live in a particular area go to a particular school.

Some people home school too.

If you live in troubled area,you can raise a wonderful child o..i don't know but i just don't have power to be battling obstacles that don't have to be there

This is just my opinion based on my limited experiences..i'm sure others have different thoughts and ideas and i hop they expand so me i can learn and apply

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 4:11pm On Jan 21, 2019
Rubyventures:

This is the reason most African businesses don't do well here. The customer service is next to nothing, when you are buying stuff from them they act as if they are doing you a favour by selling to you. They have their faces like they just sucked on a lemon and they will be on the phone and expect you to be waiting for them to finish their phone call.

It's terrible.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Kindly intimate me.

A combination of this works well..... Going private is expensive (primary school) ..... £6000 per year, per child......

Send kids to public primary school, with extra tuition to cushion and make up the huge difference.......

Secondary school - Private schooling would cost between £10,000 - £20000 ( depending on institution).....

Solution - If you are within a grammar catchment area, get a teacher for kids (£400 pcm) also depends on teachers charges..... If kid passes, grammar school is free........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2019
Rubyventures:

Have you ever sucked raw lemons?..... tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:48pm On Jan 21, 2019
Shanzzy:
Please i need help with accommodation in Salford manchester, the best site to get one. I have a 3 years old son. Thank you.

Zoopla, rightmove (fairly safe)........

Gumtree or shopfront ads (shine your eyes)........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 5:57pm On Jan 21, 2019
Yinkzy03:
Na wa o, see grooveee

What about paying £1,055mortgage for a 4 Bed, 2 bathroom house in Peterborough....Is that a good deal too?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2019
emadamysy:
Hello Everyone.

I have never been outside the shores on Naija and would want to make a trip this year.

Learnt that there are lots of bottle necks with the US Visa waka.

I would like to visit the UK, my cousins and extended family stays at Birhimgham City.

I am the sole sponsor of my trip...

What are my chances, i currently earn a little above 150, with savings in Mutual funds (1.5M).

Use a Nigerian immigration lawyer to guide your visa application process. UK no dey refund visa money. Also,get an invite letter from your relatives
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Health sector. I've seen several agents. Hope to choose the best offer sir.
Peterborough, get a job in Huntingdon, 25min drive from Peterborough, or in Peterborough, but the hospital there is said to be very busy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2019
DaveChapelle:
Peterborough, get a job in Huntingdon, 25min drive from Peterborough, or in Peterborough, but the hospital there is said to be very busy

Which hospital is not busy?...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Shanzzy(f): 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2019
Thank you very much.
Lexusgs430:

Zoopla, rightmove (fairly safe)........

Gumtree or shopfront ads (shine your eyes)........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:14pm On Jan 21, 2019
DaveChapelle:

Wouldn't want very busy ATM
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 9:46pm On Jan 21, 2019
Rubyventures:

When I said this earlier, I got criticised by Nigerians saying things like ''We Naija people should always support our blood'' etc. I still maintain that in my few years in the UK, I have only ever felt cheated on those rare occasions when I visit Nigerian shops. I never feel cheated when I buy from Asians or whites.

I decided to check out a Nigerian restaurant/takeaway close to me recently, the Naija lady there said she will sell me a 4 pack bottled Guinness for £12. She even said the low price is because she just wants to ''help'' me. The same Guinness is sold by my local Asian shop for £6/4 pack. Plus, the appalling customer service and environment of the Nigerian shop is so shocking that I wouldn't take a dog there. You order a takeaway by telephone and they will tell you it will be ready in 30 minutes, you go there expecting to just collect it and leave, you end up spending another 30 minutes at least waiting for the food. I really don't understand what is wrong with us sometimes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:37pm On Jan 21, 2019
claremont:

When I said this earlier, I got criticised by Nigerians saying things like ''We Naija people should always support our blood'' etc. I still maintain that in my few years in the UK, I have only ever felt cheated on those rare occasions when I visit Nigerian shops. I never feel cheated when I buy from Asians or Whites.

I have had a bad experience with one Asian shop though. Bought too much Christmas decor and had to return some. Took his back 2 days later with reciept and the guy started forming company policy is only exchange no refund. I refused and told him that kind of policy does not exist in the UK... after plenty grumbling the guy sha rounded my money with plenty coins cheesy Wetin concern me... carried the money straight to Tesco to feed the plenty mouths in my house. But the experience reminded me that Asians and Africans, all join Abeg! Our wahala is too much.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:30am On Jan 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Which hospital is not busy?...

One of chillest A&Es i have worked as locum!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:33am On Jan 22, 2019
DaveChapelle:

One of chillest A&Es i have worked as locum!

Are you saying black days are never declared?....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sarhyd(m): 6:54am On Jan 22, 2019
Got my visa yesterday and I will be going to Birmingham on Friday

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:14am On Jan 22, 2019
Sarhyd:
Got my visa yesterday and I will be going to Birmingham on Friday

Congrats

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 10:43am On Jan 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Have you ever sucked raw lemons?..... tongue

As a matter of fact, yes I have. You should try it. Your face muscles goes into involuntary spasms. grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 10:47am On Jan 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

A combination of this works well..... Going private is expensive (primary school) ..... £6000 per year, per child......

Send kids to public primary school, with extra tuition to cushion and make up the huge difference.......

Secondary school - Private schooling would cost between £10,000 - £20000 ( depending on institution).....

Solution - If you are within a grammar catchment area, get a teacher for kids (£400 pcm) also depends on teachers charges..... If kid passes, grammar school is free........

They cost a lot more, the average price is £80,000 if you are lucky.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:06pm On Jan 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

£6000 per year, per child...... is also on the low side.

Even regular nursery for under 4 years charge more than 6k per child per year , not to talk of public private school
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Grumpychick: 1:45pm On Jan 22, 2019
Finally met someone that makes me glow but circumstances won't let it be great.
Hello you know yourself. I will miss you but its temporary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.