Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,309 members, 7,836,349 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (129) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1320202 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2019
justwise:

Thanks.

Have to find out if its possible to invest from here without traveling to Nigeria..like doing it online

There's a treasury bills and money market funds on nairaland.

It can be done online but I'd advise a trip to Nigeria to see one's account branch/officer before initiating.
The two threads on nairaland are pretty informative.

However as others have said changing pounds to naira to pounds isn't wise.

But if you save cash in Nigerian accounts hen it's best to earn from it through either route

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 11:29pm On Mar 08, 2019
salsera:

There's a treasury bills and money market funds on nairaland.

It can be done online but I'd advise a trip to Nigeria to see one's account branch/officer before initiating.
The two threads on nairaland are pretty informative.

However as others have said changing pounds to naira to pounds isn't wise.

But if you save cash in Nigerian accounts hen it's best to earn from it through either route
Not planning to do that, the money will be spent in Nigeria.

Will check out those threads
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 11:44pm On Mar 08, 2019
DaveChapelle:
Check Aldi

Well, maybe, I wasnt lucky that day...I checked ALDI in Blackburn...didn't find it... I will cry o...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:47pm On Mar 08, 2019
nomad26:
Let me suggest that you get the AMEX Gold card instead https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/gold-credit-card/?linknav=uk-amex-cardshop-allcards-learn-GoldCreditCard
It's free for the first year and you get 20k amex points (this equals 20k avios & can be easily transferred to your avois account). You can easily cancel it after the first year, then get the BA card if you still want to.
To get the sign-up bonus, you need to spend £2k in 3 months. Also if an existing amex cardholder refers you, you get additional 2k points. PM me if you need a referral.
Thank you. I'll do that.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:53am On Mar 09, 2019
Stoicbaba:

Well, maybe, I wasnt lucky that day...I checked ALDI in Blackburn...didn't find it... I will cry o...

Tesco, Sainsbury, asda , Waitrose, ocado all sell brioche bread . Different version
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:01am On Mar 09, 2019
fatima04:
You guys lost me at clever accounting oo, whatever that is. Are you guys saying there are ways to claim back tax paid via the employer or what?

No this not applicable to permament staff .....

it is for people operating limited company or self employed route
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:35am On Mar 09, 2019
Lexusgs430:

If any balance is left, it attracts interest. And if you always payback without the bank receiving interest....... You are not the type of customer they are looking for, your card would eventually be withdrawn......................

Your card will not be withdrawn, I have been doing that for more than 10 years now. In fact I make money from my credit card by getting points and I’ve never paid interest on a credit card. When paying for big purchases even if you’ve got the money in your account, it is safer to use a credit card as you will be protected if anything goes wrong. But with a debit card you are not protected.

Also if you don’t feel comfortable getting one then don’t.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:48am On Mar 09, 2019
nihilistjnr:

Do you not think you're being unnecessarily vague and evasive? cheesy

I don't work for HMRC. If you claim these kind of expenses, please share how you do it.

As far as I'm aware, you can't even claim petrol as a business expense for your personal car. So I'm really interested to understand if there's a more tax efficient way out there.

If the vehicle is classed as a van for business purposes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 6:01am On Mar 09, 2019
nomad26:
On paper, investing in Nigerian treasury bills seems like a good idea but I wouldn't advise you to do it. The main problem is that the Naira is unpredictable. You will have to convert your pounds to naira in order to buy tbills and then convert back to pounds when it matures. There is no guarantee that naira will not depreciate during your investment period (this happened 2014-2016), if that happens then you risk wiping out any profit you may have made when you change your naira back to pounds. I'd advise only buy tbills with spare naira you have don't borrow pounds for this purpose.

Instead try credit card stoozing if you're disciplined - get a credit card that is interest free for say 2 years, take out the cash, put it in a high interest savings account here in the UK. When your interest free period ends, withdraw the money, pay off the card and pocket the interest. See more info here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/stooze-cash-credit-cards/

I don’t think there is any credit card that allows you to take out cash for free. If there is please enlighten me.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:31am On Mar 09, 2019
marylandcakes:

Your card will not be withdrawn, I have been doing that for more than 10 years now. In fact I make money from my credit card by getting points and I’ve never paid interest on a credit card. When paying for big purchases even if you’ve got the money in your account, it is safer to use a credit card as you will be protected if anything goes wrong. But with a debit card you are not protected.

Also if you don’t feel comfortable getting one then don’t.

Because yours is not withdrawn, does not mean it does not get withdrawn.....

Section 75 only protects from £100 +........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 8:09am On Mar 09, 2019
Hlo all,
Re- the discussion on investing in Nigeria, are we expected to pay tax to HMRC on interest made from our Nigerian investment? Some say not paying the tax on interest can affect one's ILR chances.
Pls advise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 9:50am On Mar 09, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Tesco, Sainsbury, asda , Waitrose, ocado all sell brioche bread . Different version

Many thanks...more options for me now grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:36pm On Mar 09, 2019
DisGuy:
Outside of Health, Law and some other professions

Actual degree studied is somewhat inconsequential in the UK. Your (current)work experience and transferable skills will be the main criteria

Plss talking about law, what are the options for a Nigerian trained lawyer who want to migrate to the UK
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 4:33pm On Mar 09, 2019
Stoicbaba:

Sliced vanilla brioche aldi, sliced chocolate brioche...aldi,but not really nice...Regular brioche is in most shops....tesco and aldi, it looks like croissants. But Toasties are also nice with butter and jam, and go down easy.If you have time, Flat garlic bread and flat tomato and cheese are also good, but you need to bake as per instructions for about 8 minutes i think
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CowbellY: 4:39pm On Mar 09, 2019
Hello All,

Uhmm, if I stay in Nigeria, but I want to buy items from a UK store, does anyone offer a service that receives and then ships to Nigeria ?

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:09pm On Mar 09, 2019
CowbellY:
Hello All,

Uhmm, if I stay in Nigeria, but I want to buy items from a UK store, does anyone offer a service that receives and then ships to Nigeria ?

Thanks.

Just go to Shoprite... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 5:10pm On Mar 09, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Plss talking about law, what are the options for a Nigerian trained lawyer who want to migrate to the UK

Absolutely no idea. Guess they will have to do some courses just to get familiare with the UK law and practice and very high probability they end up doing immigration related law
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 09, 2019
DisGuy:

Absolutely no idea. Guess they will have to do some courses just to get familiare with the UK law and practice and very high probability they end up doing immigration related law

Thanks man. Any one with any idea for fluid migration for lawyers to the UK or any other country can kindly let me know.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CowbellY: 6:33pm On Mar 09, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Just go to Shoprite... grin

Ah! Well.. thankfully, we don't have to import seedless grapes anymore. grin. That's available in ShopRite now but there are some other items we have to procure abroad.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 7:30pm On Mar 09, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thanks man. Any one with any idea for fluid migration for lawyers to the UK or any other country can kindly let me know.

you can rent a flashy jeep and go to where Nigerian doctors are writing Plab 1 . Give any of the single female doctors a lift and make a good impression. If you're lucky, you might hitch her...Is that fluid enough?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:40pm On Mar 09, 2019
DaveChapelle:

you can rent a flashy jeep and go to where Nigerian doctors are writing Plab 1 . Give any of the single female doctors a lift and make a good impression. If you're lucky, you might hitch her...Is that fluid enough?

Thank you very much for this advice, but it sounds quite funny . Did u toll that path, how did it go for u? Share a first hand example.

Secondly how many times is Plab1 exams taken in Naija in a year, and how many would I have to carry out this routine to come out successful.

It would be easier to seek asylum in the UK after running a master's , than to follow through with ur "fantastic" advice.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2019
DaveChapelle:

Sliced vanilla brioche aldi, sliced chocolate brioche...aldi,but not really nice...Regular brioche is in most shops....tesco and aldi, it looks like croissants. But Toasties are also nice with butter and jam, and go down easy.If you have time, Flat garlic bread and flat tomato and cheese are also good, but you need to bake as per instructions for about 8 minutes i think

Wow, what a session... Just imagining doing this...me wey no like waste of time grin

Thanka, appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 8:09pm On Mar 09, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thank you very much for this advice, but it sounds quite funny . Did u toll that path, how did it go for u? Share a first hand example.

Secondly how many times is Plab1 exams taken in Naija in a year, and how many would I have to carry out this routine to come out successful.

It would be easier to seek asylum in the UK after running a master's , than to follow through with ur "fantastic" advice.

Kind regards.

you'll be doing her a favour...many single female doctors who don't know what they want here. You can put your negotiating legal skills to work
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 8:11pm On Mar 09, 2019
Yes, there's a card that lets you do that: Curve MasterCard. It's a debit card, that lets you use your credit cards for fee-free cash withdrawal (£200/day) this is what I used, you can google it for more details. Cheers.
marylandcakes:

I don’t think there is any credit card that allows you to take out cash for free. If there is please enlighten me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2019
DaveChapelle:

you'll be doing her a favour...many single female doctors who don't know what they want here. You can put your negotiating legal skills to work

Fortunately already married. Plss if u get any fluid means for a lawyer to migrate to the UK don't hesitate to let me know.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:27pm On Mar 09, 2019
nomad26:
Yes, there's a card that lets you do that: Curve MasterCard. It's a debit card, that lets you use your credit cards for fee-free cash withdrawal (£200/day) this is what I used, you can google it for more details. Cheers.
Kai! this guy, the way you are gaming the system eh. grin
I need to take out time to understand these things and find a way around them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:56am On Mar 10, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Fortunately already married. Plss if u get any fluid means for a lawyer to migrate to the UK don't hesitate to let me know.

Canada, with the degree and good Ielts score you are good to go

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:58am On Mar 10, 2019
dustydee:

Kai! this guy, the way you are gaming the system eh. grin
I need to take out time to understand these things and find a way around them.

Seriously ehn, I have learnt a lot about finances with this discussions, it's to research further and make a sound decision.

Thanks guys

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 1:35am On Mar 10, 2019
fatima04:

Canada, with the degree and good Ielts score you are good to go

Is it via the express entry pathway or is there any other?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 3:53am On Mar 10, 2019
nomad26:

So really it’s a debit card that allows you take money out of your credit card. My question was about taking money directly out of a credit card for free. So in other words the answer is no such thing.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Phenmeson(m): 6:46am On Mar 10, 2019
Good morning all. Just want to ask the procedure/cost for an EU resident in UK,who got her PR in March. To register the kids for British citizenship/Passport, what are the steps. Both kids are less than 3yrs & got UK birth certificate. Tanx yu all
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:45am On Mar 10, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.