Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,473 members, 7,836,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1320563 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:03am On Mar 10, 2019
nomad26:
Yes, there's a card that lets you do that: Curve MasterCard. It's a debit card, that lets you use your credit cards for fee-free cash withdrawal (£200/day) this is what I used, you can google it for more details. Cheers.

Curve is a life saver. I use it in Costco to pay for stuff before I got AMEX card. The only downside is they dont support amex(I'd have racked up my avios points) and you lose your section 75 protection.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:15am On Mar 10, 2019
fatima04:

Ohh really, little wonder capital one wont increase my shipini limit

Capital One is shyte anyway. They don't give sensible credit limit...Try MBNA, once approved close Capital one.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:27am On Mar 10, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Lol...... Oga, I would not argue with your position.... Over 20 years of clever accounting and still waxing...... If you overdo, it would catch up with you......

Bros I'd try to avoid all these tax avoidance schemes. That is how one contractor I work with had to sell his house to pay £170k to HMRC for an offshore scheme he was on years back.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 2:59pm On Mar 10, 2019
I know right! cheesy It's also great for self-employed people
for paying taxes, since HMRC only accept debit card payments. One can potentially earn lots of credit card points on tax payments.

wonlasewonimi:

Curve is a life saver. I use it in Costco to pay for stuff before I got AMEX card. The only downside is they dont support amex(I'd have racked up my avios points) and you lose your section 75 protection.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:30pm On Mar 10, 2019
nomad26:
I know right! cheesy It's also great for self-employed people
for paying taxes, since HMRC only accept debit card payments. One can potentially earn lots of credit card points on tax payments.

That's true o.. I have never paid my HMRC debts from personal accounts. This is a loophole. As a security freak, it also serves as another layer of protection against your bank cards. All those dodgy point of sale systems that farm bank details are fecked.

But make sure you have a spare card in case curve fails.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:27pm On Mar 10, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Bros I'd try to avoid all these tax avoidance schemes. That is how one contractor I work with had to sell his house to pay £170k to HMRC for an offshore scheme he was on years back.

He must have been very very greedy........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 6:28pm On Mar 10, 2019
Lexusgs430:

He must have been very very greedy........

So many people joined then...you can't blame them, it is very sweet taking home 95% of your income.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:04pm On Mar 10, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

So many people joined then...you can't blame them, it is very sweet taking home 95% of your income.

Absolutely.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:37pm On Mar 10, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Capital One is shyte anyway. They don't give sensible credit limit...Try MBNA, once approved close Capital one.

Very annoying limit, will check them out. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 6:16pm On Mar 11, 2019
Good day everyone,
Please, while applying for Tier 2 dependant visa, do i need to scan and send my documents (BRP, Tenancy agreement, COS e.t.c) to hubby in Nigeria to submit with his application or i have to send them by post to the embassy here?

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 7:02pm On Mar 11, 2019
You shouldn't send any document directly to the embassy. You can scan and send the documents you mentioned to him, he will submit everything during his biometrics appointment.
mim1031:
Good day everyone,
Please, while applying for Tier 2 dependant visa, do i need to scan and send my documents (BRP, Tenancy agreement, COS e.t.c) to hubby in Nigeria to submit with his application or i have to send them by post to the embassy here?

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 7:20pm On Mar 11, 2019
nomad26:
You shouldn't send any document directly to the embassy. You can scan and send the documents you mentioned to him, he will submit everything during his biometrics appointment.

Alright, thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:27pm On Mar 11, 2019
CowbellY:
Hello All,

Uhmm, if I stay in Nigeria, but I want to buy items from a UK store, does anyone offer a service that receives and then ships to Nigeria ?

Thanks.

I offer that service. Kindly send a message to +447710830230. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 5:20pm On Mar 12, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Please tell me more about Curve Card.
I have it, but have never really used it, like that. You mean I can put up my Credit card from another company on Curve?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 5:53pm On Mar 12, 2019
RalphJean:

I have it, but have never really used it, like that. You mean I can put up my Credit card from another company on Curve?

Curve card is like a wallet for all your other cards.

You download the app and get sent a card.

On the app, you load all your other bank cards.

If you need to pay for stuff with like barclays card, you choose barclays from your curve wallet on the app and pay with your curve card.
The funds would be taken from your barclays account.

If you mistakenly use your HSBC instead of your barclays, curve allows you to go back in time for two weeks to change the payment card to the one you want.

You can with buy stuff online using your curve card protecting your real bank account.

You can withdraw cash from credit card without being charged cos it woukd show the credit card company you spent the money in curve. They don't have a clue about your cash withdrawal.

You can pay with credit card in places they don't accept credit cards

You can spend on your card overseas without getting bank charges.

You get rewards for using your card in selected stores

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 7:07pm On Mar 12, 2019
RalphJean:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/01/new-curve-card-lets-you-connect-your-existing-cards-and-use-it-for-spending---but-heres-what-you-need-to-watch-out-for/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by brideofchukky: 8:02pm On Mar 12, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Thanks man. Any one with any idea for fluid migration for lawyers to the UK or any other country can kindly let me know.

Have a look here. It's a long shot but you need to find suitable employers in the approved sponsor list in the link below and identify the companies in your industry and then look for jobs through their websites or any other medium you find. When you apply, make it clear to them that you require sponsorship so they can perform the necessary checks to meet the criteria set by home office to be able to get you a RCoS (depending on your field as I know doctors have it easier).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:11pm On Mar 12, 2019
brideofchukky:

Have a look here. It's a long shot but you need to find suitable employers in the approved sponsor list in the link below and identify the companies in your industry and then look for jobs through their websites or any other medium you find. When you apply, make it clear to them that you require sponsorship so they can perform the necessary checks to meet the criteria set by home office to be able to get you a RCoS (depending on your field as I know doctors have it easier).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Beautyaddy: 8:13pm On Mar 12, 2019
Uk, peeps...so is Brexit going to really happen this month or all those referendum votes was just a waste of people's time to gauge how the UK people really felt about the EU.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 10:40pm On Mar 12, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

Curve card is like a wallet for all your other cards.

You download the app and get sent a card.

On the app, you load all your other bank cards.

If you need to pay for stuff with like barclays card, you choose barclays from your curve wallet on the app and pay with your curve card.
The funds would be taken from your barclays account.

If you mistakenly use your HSBC instead of your barclays, curve allows you to go back in time for two weeks to change the payment card to the one you want.

You can with buy stuff online using your curve card protecting your real bank account.

You can withdraw cash from credit card without being charged cos it woukd show the credit card company you spent the money in curve. They don't have a clue about your cash withdrawal.

You can pay with credit card in places they don't accept credit cards

You can spend on your card overseas without getting bank charges.

You get rewards for using your card in selected stores

let's vet down to the root of it...what's the yearly charge? Have i seen a movie like this card before?!... 1 card to rule them all?!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:53pm On Mar 12, 2019
DaveChapelle:

let's vet down to the root of it...what's the yearly charge? Have i seen a movie like this card before?!... 1 card to rule them all?!

Bro it is free of charge. Fintechs have taken over!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 13, 2019
Hello people! Great info exchange on this thread!

As the UK immigration rules keep changing, one seemingly has to seek clarity time and again to be sure to stay on the right side of the law therefore, please I'd like to know:-
1. How long (maximum) a Tier-2 worker can travel/stay outside the UK without getting into trouble with UKVI and

2. How long can you stay in between changing jobs without a problem.

I believe the cooling period before re-entry (should one resign a job and leave the UK), is 12 months but I'd appreciate your inputs please and thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 12:02pm On Mar 13, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

From your posts, I have dine some research on Curve and I've installed the app.

Abeg you fit share referral code? ��
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:27pm On Mar 13, 2019
spacyzuma:

From your posts, I have dine some research on Curve and I've installed the app.

Abeg you fit share referral code? ��

2D8Q2QXN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:30pm On Mar 13, 2019
Tone23:
Hello people! Great info exchange on this thread!

As the UK immigration rules keep changing, one seemingly has to seek clarity time and again to be sure to stay on the right side of the law therefore, please I'd like to know:-
1. How long (maximum) a Tier-2 worker can travel/stay outside the UK without getting into trouble with UKVI and

2. How long can you stay in between changing jobs without a problem.

I believe the cooling period before re-entry (should one resign a job and leave the UK), is 12 months but I'd appreciate your inputs please and thank you!

Response to your questions
1. Its advisable you dont exceed 3months in a 1 year cycle as that year wont be recorded against ILR if you are on a Tier Visa. On the other hand, the visa is attached to an employer, doubt you can get any days outside the usual annual leave.

N.B- for future ILR application, you would need a letter from your employer approving such absence from the UK.

2. Doubt you can continue staying in the UK legally once your current Tier 2 expires (unless you are due for ILR). Either you get another sponsor or stay with the current sponsor and extend your stay before your current leave expires
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 2:36pm On Mar 13, 2019
fatima04:

1. Its advisable you dont exceed 3months in a 1 year cycle as that year wont be recorded against ILR if you are on a Tier Visa. On the other hand, the visa is attached to an employer, doubt you can get any days outside the usual annual leave.

N.B- for future ILR application, you would need a letter from your employer approving such absence from the UK.

2. Doubt you can continue staying in the UK legally once your current Tier 2 expires (unless you are due for ILR). Either you get another sponsor or stay with the current sponsor and extend your stay before your current leave expires
180 days except the year you apply for ILR which you should not be out for more than 90 days.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

2D8Q2QXN

Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:00pm On Mar 13, 2019
nomad26:
Let me suggest that you get the AMEX Gold card instead https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/gold-credit-card/?linknav=uk-amex-cardshop-allcards-learn-GoldCreditCard
It's free for the first year and you get 20k amex points (this equals 20k avios & can be easily transferred to your avois account). You can easily cancel it after the first year, then get the BA card if you still want to.
To get the sign-up bonus, you need to spend £2k in 3 months. Also if an existing amex cardholder refers you, you get additional 2k points. PM me if you need a referral.
sent you a pm for the referral.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 4:42am On Mar 14, 2019
fatima04:

Thanks a lot!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 4:43am On Mar 14, 2019
dustydee:

180 days except the year you apply for ILR which you should not be out for more than 90 days.

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 10:20am On Mar 14, 2019
Hi dustydee, sorry just seeing your message. I've replied
dustydee:

sent you a pm for the referral.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:14pm On Mar 14, 2019
Hi guys,

just moved homes and unlike my previous 2 houses. my gas bill here na die....so far £10 in 2 days, smart meter! the tariif says i will pay 18p for first 60 kwh and about 4p per kwh thereafter. although, the new house is a town house, most radators are off except for 1 bedroom and occasional hot water. previous house was £2/ day b4 that was about £10 in 2 weeks....any pointers....electricity is fair. is this a winter billing?

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.