Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,312 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1320208 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:39am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

It’s not 2%...

Federal Taxes is about 25%

State Taxes is about 15%

Plus Medicare Taxes...

All these taxes are Mandatory & are withdrawn from your Paycheck before it hits your Bank Account...

Lol... do you think we dont pay all these here in higher tax percentages ...... UK that even in death you are taxed heavily not to talk of when you are alive cool

What i talked about is" sales tax rate" , UK sales tax (VAT) is 20% ...... you are right a lot of states are about 7% but you still have some states less than that, Delaware is 0% .....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:13am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

Remember when I lost my job & then I applied for unemployment benefits...

The Government was able to pay me weekly until I was able to find another job...

So that’s definitely one of the perks of paying your taxes...

Assuming this happened in Naija you’re on your own...

If you know, you know...

Absolutely...... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 8:17am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Lol... do you think we dont pay all these here in higher tax percentages ...... UK that even in death you are taxed heavily not to talk of when you are alive cool

What i talked about is" sales tax rate" , UK sales tax (VAT) is 20% ...... you are right a lot of states are about 7% but you still have some states less than that, Delaware is 0% .....

You said 2% initially...

That's why I quoted you earlier & suggested it was too low...

Maybe you omitted the 0 by accident...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:53am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

You said 2% initially...

That's why I quoted you earlier & suggested it was too low...

Maybe you omitted the 0 by accident...

But my post is still there smiley cheesy grin... where did i say 2% .

We never even judge council tax ,TV licence or congestion tax and many others. Oya come and share money for us here in UK. . We still pay more tax than people in the U.S. cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 9:25am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

We never even judge council tax ,TV licence or congestion tax and many others. Oya come and share money for us here in UK. . We still pay more tax than people in the U.S. cheesy.

Just checked it & you said 5%...

But 5% is still too low anyway...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 9:29am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Na you suppose share money...

£1= $1.31359

Una currency carry weight abeg...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 9:34am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Meanwhile I’m still thinking about how to save up money to travel to Naija this Christmas...

But it seems my village people have remembered me because IRS now says I underpaid my taxes last year & I owe them $1650...

I have about 30 days to remit the money to them to avoid accruing interest for late payment...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:14am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

Meanwhile I’m still thinking about how to save up money to travel to Naija this Christmas...

But it seems my village people have remembered me because IRS now says I underpaid my taxes last year & I owe them $1650...

I have about 30 days to remit the money to them to avoid accruing interest for late payment...

The best way is, if you have an account in Nigeria...... Each time you have spare $, just keep crediting your Nigerian account....

By December, you would be amazed......... cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 10:19am On Mar 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The best way is, if you have an account in Nigeria...... Each time you have spare $, just keep crediting your Nigerian account....

By December, you would be amazed......... cheesy

I don’t have any Bank Account yet in Naija...

Is it possible to open a Nigerian Bank Account online from abroad?

I like First Bank & GT Bank...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:26am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

If you know someone personally in a branch, they could open a savings account for you.....

But remember BVN is now a must.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 10:44am On Mar 22, 2019
How to Open a GTB Bank Account Using Your Mobile Phone

https://635.gtbank.com/2017/07/how-to-open-a-bank-account-using-your-mobile-phone/

7Alexandre:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 10:46am On Mar 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

If you know someone personally in a branch, they could open a savings account for you.....

But remember BVN is now a must.........

So how do I get a BVN?

I don't have one.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:45am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

Kolping : Thanks for the gtb link.

I have money in standard trust bank but heard they no longer exist. Any ideas on how i can get my money
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

I thought i was the only Nigerian without a functioning Nigeria bank account.

Thanks for the gtb link. Kolping

I have money in standard trust bank but heard they no longer exist. Any ideas on how i can get my money

I don’t know...

My mum had about $3000+ in a dom Account & about #700,000+ in a Current Account both with Oceanic Bank before she passed away...

Now I heard Oceanic Bank no longer exist...

But I still need the money she left in those Bank Accounts...

I will have to wait & see if other people can contribute to this topic...

It’s very important...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

That money don enter voicemail...........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:59am On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

I don’t know...

My mum had about $3000+ in a dom Account & about #700,000+ in a Current Account both with Oceanic Bank before she passed away...

It’s very important...

That money don enter voicemail o............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 12:08pm On Mar 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

That money don enter voicemail o............

So wetin person fit do recover the money...

I mean Oceanic Bank merged with another Nigerian Bank right?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2019
7Alexandre:

So wetin person fit do recover the money...

I mean Oceanic Bank merged with another Nigerian Bank right?

Acquired by Ecobank......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 12:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Acquired by Ecobank......

So can’t Ecobank trace the money using the Account Name & Account Number from Oceanic Bank?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
Lexusgs430:

That money don enter voicemail...........

na wa ooo.............. My little hard earned money . i left it too long , everytime i go to Nigeria there never any time to go sort it out

only God knows how many millions don enter bank voicemail . Including all the theif theif money Politicans don hide for abroad and died without telling anybody
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cuteguy201: 1:06pm On Mar 22, 2019
You can still get it, just that it involves a lengthy process.

Oceanic bank was acquired by Ecobank. All accounts are still active, just a simple change of name that took place - same way Skye Bank is now Polaris Bank, and Spring Bank now Heritage Bank. The account would still be there with the funds intact. Just have the account numbers handy.

There's something called a Letter of Administration. It's a document that is issued by the High Court to enable the children of a deceased person have access to their late parent's estate (Money in bank, shares and property).

Without that Letter of Administration, the bank would never release the money, and stubborn tenants can decide not to vacate and renew their rent if the property was directly let out by the deceased.

Now here's the catch, to process a Letter of Administration now in Lagos state, would still take you atleast a minimum of 6 Months no matter how long your leg may be. Some may take close to 2 years.

I hope this helps.

N.B.
I'm not a Lawyer nor a Banker, neither am I Government official. I just happen to have information about the subject.

7Alexandre:

I don’t know...

It’s very important...

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:46pm On Mar 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Abracadabra

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2019
Standard Trust Bank was acquired by UBA. You may have to contact UBA to find out how to proceed.

LagosismyHome:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 3:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
cuteguy201:
You can still get it, just that it involves a lengthy process.

Oceanic bank was acquired by Ecobank. All accounts are still active, just a simple change of name that took place - same way Skye Bank is now Polaris Bank, and Spring Bank now Heritage Bank. The account would still be there with the funds intact. Just have the account numbers handy.

There's something called a Letter of Administration. It's a document that is issued by the High Court to enable the children of a deceased person have access to their late parent's estate (Money in bank, shares and property).

Without that Letter of Administration, the bank would never release the money, and stubborn tenants can decide not to vacate and renew their rent if the property was directly let out by the deceased.

Now here's the catch, to process a Letter of Administration now in Lagos state, would still take you atleast a minimum of 6 Months no matter how long your leg may be. Some may take close to 2 years.

I hope this helps.

N.B.
I'm not a Lawyer nor a Banker, neither am I Government official. I just happen to have information about the subject.

6 Months ke...

So why does the Letter of administration take so long?

I will only be spending just two (2) to three (3) months in Naija.

Is there anything that can be done to fast track the issuance of Letter of Administration?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cuteguy201: 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yes Boss. There are a lot of bureaucracy involved because you are dealing with government workers within the civil service.

For instance, if I can recollect correctly, there's a stage in the process where the deceased's name would have to be published in the national dailies and once published it would take atleast 21 days before your file can even be touched again as that's the minimum waiting time.
Also, towards the end when you even get the letter, the bank would say they need to confirm if the letter is genuine, and after confirmation, it's not like the cash would be just handed over, but an estate account would be opened before the money can be deposited. That may take close to a month. So you see, two months goneby just on irrelevant issues.

To be honest, try not to fall into the trap of looking for how to fast track because what would be would be and you would be shocked by what people who would claim to help would ask from you. This total amount is roughly estimated to 1.8M, the government would still take 10℅ of the total value, forms, sureties e.t.c. Money don finish lol.

Pertaining to you spending only 2 to 3 months in naija, I think you should be able to get it to the publication stage.

Another key issue which I forgot to mention and a very important fact is that only you can't apply for the Letter of Administration except if you are the only surviving child and of legal age of 18. At least a minimum of 2 children and maximum of 4 children.

7Alexandre:

6 Months ke...

So why does the Letter of administration take so long?

I will only be spending just two (2) to three (3) months in Naija.

Is there anything that can be done to fast track the issuance of Letter of Administration?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:25pm On Mar 22, 2019
nomad26:
Hmmm not sure what happened, I replied directly to your message. I've resent it but just in case you don't get it again, here it is:
http://amex.co.uk/refer/oluwaillqh?CPID=999999554
Got the card today. Thank you.
£10k shocked shocked
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 1:40am On Mar 23, 2019
Yes o, amex are quite generous with their credit limit. They gave me 22k, e almost reach for house deposit lol
dustydee:

£10k shocked shocked
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 9:16am On Mar 23, 2019
[quote nomad26:
Hmmm not sure what happened, I replied directly to your message. I've resent it but just in case you don't get it again, here it is:
http://amex.co.uk/refer/oluwaillqh?CPID=999999554 [/quote]

dustydee:

£10k shocked shocked

nomad26:
Yes o, amex are quite generous with their credit limit. They gave me 22k, e almost reach for house deposit lol

I got my AMEX card a week ago. They gave me 8k.
I'm already seriously building up points smiley

I've also just received my Curve card. Too bad AMEX no gree work with them. sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 10:42am On Mar 23, 2019
nomad26:
I have been trying to increase my limit with TSB for a while now and they have not been responsive.

For self employed people here, please how do you claim business expenses from your company when no receipt is issued e.g tube travel?

cc: Lexusgs430
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:30am On Mar 23, 2019
dustydee:

I have been trying to increase my limit with TSB for a while now and they have not been responsive.

For self employed people here, please how do you claim business expenses from your company when no receipt is issued e.g tube travel?

cc: Lexusgs430

That tube ticket is a form of receipt, backed up with transaction entry from your business account.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Crystallss: 11:59am On Mar 23, 2019
A very big thank you to everyone on this thread that guided me when I was filling the visa application for my husband and i. I'm happy to say we got our visas approved yesterday. UK here we come!!
@lagosismyhome
@lexusgs430
@fatima04

I'm planning to get a new phone, what do you suggest? Buy a phone here and get Sim card there or get a contract phone there??

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:06pm On Mar 23, 2019
Lexusgs430:

That tube ticket is a form of receipt, backed up with transaction entry from your business account.........
Yes but what if I use a personal card or oyster?

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.