Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301920 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:52pm On May 07, 2019
EngrSaks:
Alot of Nigerians get into financial trouble with the false sense of security CC and loans give...especially with pressure coming from Naija due to the new jand status...

Let's all just thread careful make village people nor use us shine o...

Let's just keep giving each other good advice with love

I agree, if one is not careful you can easily be rendered homeless in this country with that false sense of security.

One should always have a backup plan and savings for what if I lose my job #anythingcanhappen

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 2:02pm On May 07, 2019
FYI, just remembered HSBC may sometimes ask for the length of your Visa to determine the length of your repayment.

I was asked for that and then the interest rate became 16.9% and na so I carry my slippers for head and run comot

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:13pm On May 07, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Till those you micro finance default, then you enter one chance ................

My brother, there will be no one chance.
Even with 50% default rate, I would still be breaking even.
Imagine getting £10,000 loan in the UK at 3% and then ‘laundering’ same to Nigeria, changing to Naira and giving out loans. It’s mad money.

Even though our friend and brother was pissed, the truth is:
Getting £ loans or £ Credit Card cash and zapping it to Nigeria sounds very much like ‘reverse laundering’

Please if anyone sees a bank that gives Loan at 6% (not even 3%), I am interested.
In my own case, I will not want to send to Naija, I would invest here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:16pm On May 07, 2019
RalphJean:

Imagine getting £10,000 loan in the UK at 3% and then ‘laundering’ same to Nigeria, changing to Naira and giving out loans. It’s mad money.

Getting £ loans or £ Credit Card cash and zapping it to Nigeria sounds very much like ‘reverse laundering’

Please if anyone sees a bank that gives Loan at 6% (not even 3%), I am interested.

I can give you a loan at 6% per month. If you don't repay, I use rudimentary methods to get my money back. Your ankles and hammer tinz... You game?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 3:35pm On May 07, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

I can give you a loan at 6% per month. If you don't repay, I use rudimentary methods to get my money back. Your ankles and hammer tinz... You game?

grin grin grin

6% per month= 72% per annum

He wants a loan for 6% per annum...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7Alexandre: 3:45pm On May 07, 2019
RalphJean:

I remember being in a financial distress & I had no other option but to zap about $5,000 from my Credit Card...

My Credit Card was closed the following day...

Credit Cards are heavily monitored just like Bank Accounts & Banks consider such behavior very risky...

I’m still paying back the $5,000 on a monthly payment plan...

By the time I finished paying, I would have paid back around $8,000 which includes accrued interest...

The interest on my credit card was almost 23% per annum for purchases & 27% per annum for Cash Advances...

Fyi, the credit card was from Bank of America...

But I also heard both Amex & Discover are also quick to close your credit card for suspicious transactions & unusual behaviors...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:28pm On May 07, 2019
RalphJean:

Lol, in that case you want to be "laundering" here. HSBC does give 3.3%APR for anything between £7k and 12k
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 7:56pm On May 07, 2019
fatima04:

Lol, in that case you want to be "laundering" here. HSBC does give 3.3%APR for anything between £7k and 12k

Yeah.. I get your point.
My point however is:
HSBC will give that to a UK newbie, with No credit History and less than 1 year verifiable UK address?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sammydoe: 8:54pm On May 07, 2019
Abeg guys in the forum , we're can someone get a room for just 3 months to rent in London. My friend is coming for a short course
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:15pm On May 07, 2019
sammydoe:
Abeg guys in the forum , we're can someone get a room for just 3 months to rent in London. My friend is coming for a short course

Try Air BnB, shop fronts, gumtree, spareroom.co.
uk, word of mouth, churches, mosques etc etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:32pm On May 07, 2019
jedisco:

Lol...
I've taken note.

Can you tell me more about your experience after getting it and how you applied for yours?
In as much as I appreciate your worry with regards mounting debt, I believe I should be able to manage it without untoward effects. If I get burnt in the process, then I would have learnt from it.

After my mortgage, i was down to ground zero, like i was when i first moved to UK and just decided to trial getting the bank loan as i had heard it was better APR than credit cards.I got it without a fuss and really wasn't sure if i really need it, so i added a little more and changed my car. so its up to you at end of day if you want to drink garri or eat frankie and bennys at will
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:40pm On May 07, 2019
fatima04:
FYI, just remembered HSBC may sometimes ask for the length of your Visa to determine the length of your repayment.

I was asked for that and then the interest rate became 16.9% and na so I carry my slippers for head and run comot

Boy o boy, got my 1st loan before i even clicked Accept....so here i was thinking, maybe i should have asked for more sef.... , so i did, and asked for top-up of 6k extra to the 10k i was given. and repayment over 4yrs instead of initial 3yrs....Lol, that's how this people started asking for documentation, ID and visa of 5yrs! Lol, i only needed it for the car anyway, so i just borrowed from friends and somehow put the debts on 0% credit cards.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:42pm On May 07, 2019
wonlasewonimi:

How does that get you your money back, are you dealing human parts?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:13am On May 08, 2019
DaveChapelle:

This days, you never can tell........... Remember, organ donors are actively been sought........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:21am On May 08, 2019
DaveChapelle:

Those are methods not to default mate.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:43pm On May 08, 2019
Lexusgs430.... what the best way to bring naira back to pounds . Not sure if Nigeria do a simple international bank transfer
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:46pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:
Lexusgs430.... what the best way to bring naira back to pounds . Not sure if Nigeria do a simple international bank transfer

Trade by barter........ Look for someone wanting your naira in exchange for their pounds.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:24pm On May 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Trade by barter........ Look for someone wanting your naira in exchange for their pounds.........

Ok thank. KLEG story too much in trade by barter
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:26pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

You are probably dealing with the wrong people..... Have you tried Bebe2?.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:27pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

The rate might not be what you are expecting, but what is a few naira to secure a deal?..... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:18pm On May 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

You are probably dealing with the wrong people..... Have you tried Bebe2?.....

Thanks , never heard of Bebe2 , I see its a profile here on NL
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:22pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Indeed.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:24pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Be careful though, did a transfer with her some years ago. She told me the rate and after the transfer was complete I noticed that the money was not complete as expected. I contacted her and she then told me she deducted her charges, which was not part of our arrangement and was never mentioned. It would have been better for me to use other money transfer agents if she had told me about her charges. There was nothing much I could do as I had laid her already. Needless to say I haven't gone near or reffered anyone to her based on my bad experience.
I also forgot to add that it took more than a day to get my money. I asked for a refund which she declined.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:43pm On May 08, 2019
dustydee:

Be careful though, did a transfer with her some years ago. She told me the rate and after the transfer was complete I noticed that the money was not complete as expected. I contacted her and she then told me she deducted her charges, which was not part of our arrangement and was never mentioned. It would have been better for me to use other money transfer agents if she had told me about her charges. There was nothing much I could do as I had laid her already. Needless to say I haven't gone near or reffered anyone to her based on my bad experience.
I also forgot to add that it took more than a day to get my money. I asked for a refund which she declined.

Haba.... Never experienced such from our dealings. Yes, she does impose a commission, but it's notified upfront.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:55pm On May 08, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Haba.... Never experienced such from our dealings. Yes, she does impose a commission, but it's notified upfront.......
You may be right. But that was not my experience. I am not trying to discourage her but to warn her to have her bases covered before dealing with her.
For example, Imagine realising that you could have gotten N50k more if you had gone with your regular provider instead but you went with someone else you thought was of better value only to discover there were other "hidden" charges.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:07pm On May 08, 2019
dustydee:

hehehehe i talk am . There must be kleg in the story
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:08pm On May 08, 2019
dustydee:

You may be right. But that was not my experience. I am not trying to discourage her but to warn her to have her bases covered before dealing with her.
For example, Imagine realising that you could have gotten N50k more if you had gone with your regular provider instead but you went with someone else you thought was of better value only to discover there were other "hidden" charges.

Before I transfer, i weigh and compare all charges..... If it's beneficial for/to me, I transact.... If not, my moni go dey chill inside my manchine........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:09pm On May 08, 2019
LagosismyHome:

hehehehe i talk am . There must be kleg in the story
Thanks for sharing

All this commercial money exchanges, would always levy a charge and rates might be dodgy ....

Look for someone that is real and looking to barter.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:10pm On May 08, 2019
dustydee:

The essence of an open discuss, so it's all in the opendential............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 4:19pm On May 08, 2019
dustydee:

Is it Bebe you are talking about? Although I've not done any transfer with, she sounds genuine.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 4:38pm On May 08, 2019
Rubyventures:

Is it Bebe you are talking about? Although I've not done any transfer with, she sounds genuine.
I did not say she is not genuine. I only shared my experience.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.