Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1308264 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 8:06pm On Apr 30, 2019
femiart:
Hi good evening everyone, please I need help and clarification on something. My spouse(female) who is Nigerian and is also an EU citizen staying in Greece, she recently got a job in the UK. And she's coming to Nigeria in August for our marriage. Now my question is what type of marriage should we apply for at the ikoyi registry so it would be easier when we start the process for me to come to join her in the UK. Thanks in advance.

What are your options at the registry?

1- Arranged marriage?
2- short time marriage?
3- Pay as you go marriage?
4- Traditional marriage?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by obalala: 8:55pm On Apr 30, 2019
Hello house , pls I need help with information on how to pay online for a new Nigerian passport for my new baby. I have tried using my credit card and all but the payment have been rejected. I want to pay online so I can get a date to travel down to the Nigeria high commission in london. I’m based in one of the British islands. I will appreciate a feedback from anybody familiar with the London high commission.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by femiart(m): 5:51am On May 01, 2019
please anyone. she has both EU and Nigerian passport. I urgently need an answer please as it 'll help me to proceed. thanks
femiart:
Hi good evening everyone, please I need help and clarification on something. My spouse(female) who is Nigerian and is also an EU citizen staying in Greece, she recently got a job in the UK. And she's coming to Nigeria in August for our marriage. Now my question is what type of marriage should we apply for at the ikoyi registry so it would be easier when we start the process for me to come to join her in the UK. Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:07am On May 01, 2019
femiart:
please anyone. she has both EU and Nigerian passport. I urgently need an answer please as it 'll help me to proceed. thanks

You simply apply to get married, like every other person does.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by obalala: 9:57am On May 01, 2019
I appreciate an answer pls
obalala:
Hello house , pls I need help with information on how to pay online for a new Nigerian passport for my new baby. I have tried using my credit card and all but the payment have been rejected. I want to pay online so I can get a date to travel down to the Nigeria high commission in london. I’m based in one of the British islands. I will appreciate a feedback from anybody familiar with the London high commission.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:33am On May 01, 2019
femiart:

Go to Ikoyi registry and they would give you all the details you need for a wedding / Marriage . Also at the registry there should be only one type of marriage

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 9:37pm On May 01, 2019
Go to Manage your Credit Card - Register your credit card and fill in the details. Photo ID and Bank Statement needs to be uploaded. It will get rejected if your bank statement doesn't include the last 4 of the 16 digits so you need to scan your card and erase the first 12 digits. This needs to be on the same page as your statement. Then select 'No' since u no dey do multiple payments.

Crappy system but there you go smiley

obalala:
I appreciate an answer pls

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaad: 3:58pm On May 02, 2019
DaveChapelle:
tried cutting my hair myself, it's all fun and games till the day youhave to shave it skin aftermaking mistake, and then the barber is ur friend which is about a month when my hair grew back...I'ma shower, not a grower wink

smiley smiley smiley having spent £7 (cheapest Barber around) for Christmas hair cut for my son and he didn't look better after I just decide to DIY. My son has his hair cut every other weekend and be looking fresh for days. I can't deal with these overated barbers... undecided

Another skill I need to acquire is cake baking. the quotes I'm getting for my son's birthday is costing an arm and a leg

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 5:19pm On May 02, 2019
kaad:

smiley smiley smiley having spent £7 (cheapest Barber around) for Christmas hair cut for my son and he didn't look better after I just decide to DIY. My son has his hair cut every other weekend and be looking fresh for days. I can't deal with these overated barbers... undecided

Another skill I need to acquire is cake baking. the quotes I'm getting for my son's birthday is costing an arm and a leg
You can get very good and sizeable cake from M&S for £40.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:35pm On May 02, 2019
kaad:

I'd love to insure my own car

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 1:23am On May 03, 2019
There’s special marriage and ordinary marriage. You should apply for special marriage as your intended is based abroad. The fee is 35k then you have to pay some extra charges off receipt. See attached. Hope this helps.
femiart:

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:03am On May 03, 2019
dustydee:

You can get very good and sizeable cake from M&S for £40.

Unfortunately, M & S don't sell the type of cakes she is referring to.......

Those kin 2 step cakes........... Would normally go for £90/£150...............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:33am On May 03, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Unfortunately, M & S don't sell the type of cakes she is referring to.......

Those kin 2 step cakes........... Would normally go for £90/£150...............
Untop birthday? If I want that type of cake I should be able to afford it and paying for it should not be a problem.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:37am On May 03, 2019
dustydee:

Untop birthday? If I want that type of cake I should be able to afford it and paying for it should not be a problem.

So which kin cake you want........... Nah £570.00 cake you dey find........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:19am On May 03, 2019
Lexusgs430:

So which kin cake you want........... Nah £570.00 cake you dey find........ cheesy
£40, simples.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:23am On May 03, 2019
kaad:

Costco sell big cakes that are ok and cost less than £20... even valerie's patisserie you can get a good size cake for £50ish .. my kids last bd cake made by a nigerian woman in luton 50 pound each (attached) ..... but it depends on your target audience . If it's oyibo kids/classmates then costco, Sainsbury, m&s is just alright and reasonably priced

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:34am On May 03, 2019
dustydee:

£40, simples.

Try Cake Box ... Eggless quality cakes.........

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 10:18am On May 03, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I live in the village. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 10:27am On May 03, 2019
dustydee:

I live in the village. grin
garri cake then?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:25pm On May 03, 2019
Lexusgs430:

These are the best cakes in my opinion.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Betwindaily: 3:27pm On May 03, 2019
Hello,

please whats type of visa can you recommend I apply? my intention is to study there but i dont want a situation where I will have to come back immediately after the study years...

am hoping to apply for work visa(Tier 2) but i don't have a job ready for me there and my education level is just secondary school, though I will try to get an agent to make more enquiry, but i thought i should ask you that are already there...

I have a relative there though but we ain't family and I dont want to go through him, atleast he would have spent more than 10years there.. Though if its necessary to go through him and that it will make the approval my visa more considerable, I will surely contact him.

But I need your recommendations and guard,

additionaly, can standard visitor be turned to permanent residency after 10years?

Thanks, I will be expecting from you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 6:53pm On May 03, 2019
Betwindaily:
Hello,

please whats type of visa can you recommend I apply? my intention is to study there but i dont want a situation where I will have to come back immediately after the study years...

am hoping to apply for work visa(Tier 2) but i don't have a job ready for me there and my education level is just secondary school, though I will try to get an agent to make more enquiry, but i thought i should ask you that are already there...

I have a relative there though but we ain't family and I dont want to go through him, atleast he would have spent more than 10years there.. Though if its necessary to go through him and that it will make the approval my visa more considerable, I will surely contact him.

But I need your recommendations and guard, ignoring the cost.

additionaly, can standard visitor be turned to permanent residency after 10years?

The Bolded part refers.
Since cost is not a problem, I assume you have 30 Billion in the account yes?
You can apply to any University. Do your undergraduate. Then immediately go for your Masters (or straight to PhD Depending on your undergrad results).
As soon as you finish those, you could apply for an Entrepreneur Visa.

I hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Betwindaily: 7:09pm On May 03, 2019
no oo i be dagote son na... lol

what i meant by ignoring the cost is that i dont want you to consider the cost doing the recommendation
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Betwindaily: 7:11pm On May 03, 2019
RalphJean:

The Bolded part refers.
Since cost is not a problem, I assume you have 30 Billion in the account yes?
You can apply to any University. Do your undergraduate. Then immediately go for your Masters (or straight to PhD Depending on your undergrad results).
As soon as you finish those, you could apply for an Entrepreneur Visa.

I hope this helps?

if i have 30billion for this naija? why should i go to school?

30billion? abeg who my fada be for naija
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:50pm On May 03, 2019
Betwindaily:
Hello,

But I need your recommendations and guard,

Do you have a good WAEC result?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Fynebouy: 11:07am On May 05, 2019
LagosismyHome:

As a dependant of a Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 4 Point Based System there is no minimum period that you can stay outside of the UK...... during renewal

However if you plan to apply for ILR , then the home office is waiting and have a rule that you cannot be out for more than 180 days in 12 calendar period within the 5 years period .... If you want to do ILR / settlement then take this very serious to count the days outside

Hello all and thanks for the advice. My spouse is a British Citizen, we have two kids who are also citizens but I am on the spousal dependent visa. Due to the business I run in Nigeria, I have to go back home often so yes I am at risk of staying over the 180 days cumulative. Is this a requirement for spouses of citizens?

Also where can i find information on putting together my application for renewal. Could anyone direct me to the relevant site on Nairaland? God bless
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Betwindaily: 11:18am On May 05, 2019
justwise:

Do you have a good WAEC result?
Yes sir
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jedisco(m): 12:15pm On May 05, 2019
Hello house

Just a quick question about personal loans and ILR.
I'm just a few months in the UK. want to apply for an HSBC personal loan of between 10-15k so as to settle some issues back home. The interest rate is about 3.3% which I think is relatively fair. Also, I may choose to pay back the loan within 1-5 years which I don't think would be an issue. My main worry is whether it would affect my ILR application in 5 years time. Also, from practical examples, how likely am I to get it seeing that I've just recently arrived Uk? I had called the banks customer care and they went through my profile and said I should be able to get it. Any opinion?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 12:43pm On May 05, 2019
It shouldn't affect your ILR application. Bank loan has nothing to do with Immigration.

One thing to note sha is that just because they told you 3.3% doesn't mean that they will offer you that rate. It is only after you apply, that they will tell you the true rate. Last year, I applied for HSBC loan of 10k after seeing the same 3.3% on their website, however they offered me a rate of 10.5% even though I have a good credit score and had been in the UK just over a year at the time. I told them no thanks and instead got a Barclays 0% credit card (balance transfer and purchases) for 28months with 11k credit limit.

jedisco:
Hello house

Just a quick question about personal loans and ILR.
I'm just a few months in the UK. want to apply for an HSBC personal loan of between 10-15k so as to settle some issues back home. The interest rate is about 3.3% which I think is relatively fair. Also, I may choose to pay back the loan within 1-5 years which I don't think would be an issue. My main worry is whether it would affect my ILR application in 5 years time. Also, from practical examples, how likely am I to get it seeing that I've just recently arrived Uk? I had called the banks customer care and they went through my profile and said I should be able to get it. Any opinions?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jedisco(m): 2:42pm On May 05, 2019
nomad26:
It shouldn't affect your ILR application. Bank loan has nothing to do with Immigration.

One thing to note sha is that just because they told you 3.3% doesn't mean that they will offer you that rate. It is only after you apply, that they will tell you the true rate. Last year, I applied for HSBC loan of 10k after seeing the same 3.3% on their website, however they offered me a rate of 10.5% even though I have a good credit score and had been in the UK just over a year at the time. I told them no thanks and instead got a Barclays 0% credit card (balance transfer and purchases) for 28months with 11k credit limit.

That's interesting... Never thought of that. And I was already making plans.. The thing is that I need the bulk sum. Do you know any bank that offers good true rates for new entrants? Also switching to another bank just after two months may not avail me such opportunity as yours. Also, I heard it goes into your record once you apply (even if its rejected) and thus may affect your credit rating in the future.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nomad26: 3:14pm On May 05, 2019
No I don't know any bank that offers such. However not every search affects your credit score. Try your current bank first, they may be able to give you the exact rate, based on how you manage your account, without running a hard credit check (affects credit score) first.

LLoyds and Barclays do a soft search (doesn't affect credit score) when you fill out their eligibility checker and they will tell you the true rate but it is not likely to be a low rate.

Wait for others to chip in, you will get more info as I have only attempted to get a loan once.

jedisco:

That's interesting... Never thought of that. And I was already making plans.. The thing is that I need the bulk sum. Do you know any bank that offers good true rates for new entrants? Also switching to another bank just after two months may not avail me such opportunity as yours. Also, I heard it goes into your record once you apply (even if its rejected) and thus may affect your credit rating in the future.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:12pm On May 05, 2019
Betwindaily:

Yes sir

Start looking for scholarships in the UK, US, Canada etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.