Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (224) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1319878 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by assumpta1: 5:04pm On Oct 20, 2019
Hi guys! So happy to finally make the switch to this thread cheesy How do I go about getting my NI? And also getting a job with a dependant visa, what jobs can I get and how to I go about it? Are there any short courses I can take to increase my chances of getting a good offer? I studied engineering in school.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2019
oluayebenz:
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to London next month and can somebody pls recommend a popular site to buy stuffs like phones, something similar like the Kijiji of Canada.

And also is London a nice city to stay as a tourist who wants to have the best fun and meet people's?

Where will you be arriving from?
Canada?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oluayebenz: 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2019
RalphJean:

Where will you be arriving from?
Canada?

Nigeria
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by salford1: 1:01am On Oct 21, 2019
oluayebenz:
Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to London next month and can somebody pls recommend a popular site to buy stuffs like phones, something similar like the Kijiji of Canada.

And also is London a nice city to stay as a tourist who wants to have the best fun and meet people's?
Kijiji is just a classified website where the buyer and seller arrange a meet up location for transactions Not sure of the best alternative to that in the UK, Gumtree maybe?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oluayebenz: 7:27am On Oct 21, 2019
salford1:

Kijiji is just a classified website where the buyer and seller arrange a meet up location for transactions Not sure of the best alternative to that in the UK, Gumtree maybe?

Thank you Salford.

Kijiji is very good and easy to use, will try gumtree I hope is straightforward too
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:53pm On Oct 21, 2019
assumpta1:
Hi guys! So happy to finally make the switch to this thread cheesy How do I go about getting my NI? And also getting a job with a dependant visa, what jobs can I get and how to I go about it? Are there any short courses I can take to increase my chances of getting a good offer? I studied engineering in school.

When did you get your BRP? It is now being added to the back of BRP of recent applicant (dependent applicant), so no need to apply.

For jobs, update your CV and LinkedIn profile, post your CV details on all job site you can lay your hands on(reed, cvlibrary, totaljobs, indeed etc). Apply for jobs related to your experience with good structured cover letter and keep "shooting your shot" with any job advert that can be tailored to your expertise.

Be resilient and call as many recruiters as you can for followup. Will add more tips if I remember.

All the best

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by assumpta1: 9:51am On Oct 22, 2019
Thank you! I got my brp from the school last week and nothing was attached to the back.
fatima04:

When did you get your BRP? It is now being added to the back of BRP of recent applicant (dependent applicant), so no need to apply.

For jobs, update your CV and LinkedIn profile, post your CV details on all job site you can lay your hands on(reed, cvlibrary, totaljobs, indeed etc). Apply for jobs related to your experience with good structured cover letter and keep "shooting your shot" with any job advert that can be tailored to your expertise.

Be resilient and call as many recruiters as you can for followup. Will add more tips if I remember.

All the best
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ronvlaar: 10:47am On Oct 22, 2019
Hello good people. How una dey?
Trust this obodo UK dey treat una well?
I say make I holla una o, especially my ogas dem Lexus and Justwise

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
All ye Monzo crew...... Are you next....... Imagine your salaries, frozen like stock fish.........

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
ronvlaar:
Hello good people. How una dey?
Trust this obodo UK dey treat una well?
I say make I holla una o, especially my ogas dem Lexus and Justwise

I dey holla back o........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:13pm On Oct 23, 2019
Named and designed by a Nigerian... .....

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by CharlesJok3r: 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2019
Lexusgs430:
Named and designed by a Nigerian... .....
in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2019
CharlesJok3r:
in the UK?

You no see the model name........... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:33pm On Oct 23, 2019
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rough play ..

Lexusgs430:
All ye Monzo crew...... Are you next....... Imagine your salaries, frozen like stock fish.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:43pm On Oct 23, 2019
profemebee:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rough play ..

Nah rough play dey lead to food bank queue....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 12:25am On Oct 25, 2019
Yeah, you do not have NI at the back of BRP. You need to call and book for appointment. Number to call is on the website gov.uk. You will be given an appointment and reference number. Do NOT miss the appointment time.

assumpta1:
Thank you! I got my brp from the school last week and nothing was attached to the back.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 9:04am On Oct 25, 2019
Hi ..

Please whats the consequence of missing the appointment date?

i have to get bk to Nigeria for an important stuff while i was given a date in November when i will be away.

Should i call them to reschedule or what?

beryour:
Yeah, you do not have NI at the back of BRP. You need to call and book for appointment. Number to call is on the website gov.uk. You will be given an appointment and reference number. Do NOT miss the appointment time.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by obioraval(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2019
profemebee:
Hi ..

i have to get bk to Nigeria for an important stuff while i was given a date in November when i will be away.

Call them to reschedule
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by beryour(m): 2:49pm On Oct 25, 2019
Dates are not cast on stone...place a call to get it rescheduled.

profemebee:
Hi ..

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2019
thanks.. will call

obioraval:

Call them to reschedule
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 5:04pm On Oct 25, 2019
make e no dey cast in stone oo

thanks

beryour:
Dates are not cast on stone...place a call to get it rescheduled.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by moboladek: 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2019
Hello everyone, thanks for your guidance to those with the dream to migrate to the uk.
I want to migrate to the uk soon but need advice on the cheapest areas to live in england with a university within 10 miles of the area because I intend applying for masters while I work.
I am a nurse and I have completed the exams I need to write here in Nigeria, I presently need to find an employer.
I'm not sure of the effects of brexit which is why I said areas in England. Every advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2019
moboladek:
Hello everyone, thanks for your guidance to those with the dream to migrate to the uk.
I want to migrate to the uk soon but need advice on the cheapest areas to live in england with a university within 10 miles of the area because I intend applying for masters while I work.
I am a nurse and I have completed the exams I need to write here in Nigeria, I presently need to find an employer.
I'm not sure of the effects of brexit which is why I said areas in England. Every advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

You mean if you get a job offer in an NHS trust that is 15km away from the nearest University you will reject the offer?
If I were you.
1. I would get an employment FIRST.
2. I would migrate to the UK and assume duty.
3. I would begin working as a Nurse in earnest.
You may discover that an MSc is the LEAST of your worries.
You may discover that working as a nurse, all you require are NVQs and lots of trainings and masters becomes Useless.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Green4(m): 3:38pm On Oct 26, 2019
Hello gurus, I got an SMS from TLS stating my passport is ready since on the 7th oct when i got to abuja collection center it's not ready pls what could this mean, should I send them a message or be patient after 30 workings days which is stated in the message.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by moboladek: 1:36pm On Oct 27, 2019
RalphJean:

You mean if you get a job offer in an NHS trust that is 15km away from the nearest University you will reject the offer?
If I were you.
1. I would get an employment FIRST.
2. I would migrate to the UK and assume duty.
3. I would begin working as a Nurse in earnest.
You may discover that an MSc is the LEAST of your worries.
You may discover that working as a nurse, all you require are NVQs and lots of trainings and masters becomes Useless.

Thanks a lot. I have registered with an agency who are helping me to acquire a job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by assumpta1: 10:33am On Oct 28, 2019
Hi guys! Where can I check for apartments direct from landlord? Or from agents too. Also what’s living in Kent like? Are there good jobs in Kent too?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:27am On Oct 28, 2019
assumpta1:
Hi guys! Where can I check for apartments direct from landlord? Or from agents too. Also what’s living in Kent like? Are there good jobs in Kent too?

Kent is a massive county. Which area in Kent? From one Kent location, to another could take you 1 hour plus driving..............

Landlords directly, only of you know them directly or word of mouth.......

Agents - zoopla, rightmove (justwise favourite, gumtree or shopfronts)

Also check out AirBnB, for long term arrangements.......

Jobs in Kent? How many hours can you work? Olomi loma rèé......... cheesy Gaa fili Gaa Doki......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 6:15pm On Oct 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Kent is a massive county. Which area in Kent? From one Kent location, to another could take you 1 hour plus driving..............

Landlords directly, only of you know them directly or word of mouth.......

Agents - zoopla, rightmove (justwise favourite, gumtree or shopfronts)

Also check out AirBnB, for long term arrangements.......

Jobs in Kent? How many hours can you work? Olomi loma rèé......... cheesy Gaa fili Gaa Doki......... wink

Strange how I can’t speak whichever language this is and yet I know almost exactly what you said cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2019
hi...

Please how does this work out? This job search will be successful by God's grace

Any recommendations for London based jobs?

moboladek:

Thanks a lot. I have registered with an agency who are helping me to acquire a job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 7:47am On Oct 29, 2019
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by moboladek: 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2019
profemebee:
hi...

Please how does this work out? This job search will be successful by God's grace

Any recommendations for London based jobs?

Amen. Thanks a lot. I applied to the nhs and filled an application form through my agency and an interview date was given.
The interview was through skype and they just asked me a few questions on competence and why I wanted their nhs trust. They are to send a certificate of sponsorship which I'm told I will use for the visa application but it will take a few months.
I'm new to the process, so really don't have much information other than my field.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 5:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
i think your scenario is a bit different..

Your're applying from nigeria??

i'm referring to applying for jobs from the UK..

moboladek:

Amen. Thanks a lot. I applied to the nhs and filled an application form through my agency and an interview date was given.
The interview was through skype and they just asked me a few questions on competence and why I wanted their nhs trust. They are to send a certificate of sponsorship which I'm told I will use for the visa application but it will take a few months.
I'm new to the process, so really don't have much information other than my field.

(1) (2) (3) ... (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.