Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (253) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1320137 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
jamela:

Hi everyone,

I am currently on my Doctorate Extension Scheme visa after completion of my PhD. The following is a summary of my situation.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Apply for Tier 1 exceptional talent visa. Google and read up on it. Get your supervisor or someone in your department to endorse you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:29pm On Dec 22, 2019
jamela:
Hi everyone,

I am currently on my Doctorate Extension Scheme visa after completion of my PhD. The following is a summary of my situation.

Summary:
Point 1: I'm currently enroute a comfortable 6 years in UK continuous residence and hope to make the 10 year ILR.
Point 2: I have spent 5 of this 6 continuous years studying without breaks. the 6th current year is on a Doctoral extension scheme (1 year visa) expiring next year.
Point 3: I now need to earn 4 years more to qualify for the 10 year ILR.

However,
Point 4: The UK has an 8 year maximum study cap. As I have also held a previous (since expired) tier 4 visa on a masters course for 17 months (i.e the standard 1 year 5 months visa), it doesn't count towards continuous residence now. This is because I went back to Nigeria after I completed it and spent more than 180 days there before returning to the UK to study again. Even so, this study period is still counted by the UK Home Office as 1 year 5 months used towards the 8 year study cap.

Therefore,
Point 5: My total study period in the UK so far adds up to 6 years 5 months, which leaves me with 19 months (1year 7 months) left to use on the 8 year study cap. (But remember point 3 above)

At Present:
I learnt about the return of the Post study work scheme, though it isn't yet in effect, I heard it would only be valid for those graduating from 2021 onwards.

My Intention:
I plan to leave the UK after my DES expires next year for 6 months and return in less than 180 days to start the MBA. (This gives me 6 months of continuous residency even though I wouldn't be present in the UK for that time as long as I return within 180 days).

After the MBA programme:
6months (outside UK) + 18 months (MBA) = 2 years
Post study work visa = 2 years
This adds up to the 4 years that I need to qualify for ILR.

Questions:
Will the new PostStudyWork visas start automatically after 2021 Masters completion, or these would have to be applied for?
Is it possible for me to apply for an 18 month MBA course, even though I now have a PhD?
Does anyone know any UK universities that offer 18 month MBA programmes that begin in March/April 2021?

Would there be any issues with my current situation and intentions above?

Wow!
Please what field of study is your PhD in?
With a PhD I thought you qualify for lots of tier-2 jobs.
Someone mentioned postdoc positions. Have you tried those? Including lecturing positions too.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
LagosismyHome:
Has anyone ever had issues with world remit ........I been a frequent users and full of praise but today i sent money from UK to my first bank account . The money seems to have entered voice mail. Since morning it not in my Naija account but World remit is saying its been paid despite me sending them a pdf copy of Naija bank statement showing no money

Has anyone experience this before ........

The issue could be your bank..... I used WR today, and was credited within 30 minutes.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fadhilat1: 1:30am On Dec 23, 2019
As suggested by @claremont, you may consider applying for postdoc research positions and I think you may consider applying for positions in the FE sector as well. I understand that there is so much competition and uncertainties in the HE job market. In all, it is best to apply as much as you can.

[quote author=jamela post=85133677]Hi everyone,

Summary:
Point 1: I'm currently enroute a comfortable 6 years in UK continuous residence and hope to make the 10 year ILR.
Point 2: I have spent 5 of this 6 continuous years studying without breaks. the 6th current year is on a Doctoral extension scheme (1 year visa) expiring next year.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 5:51am On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:
Has anyone ever had issues with world remit ........I been a frequent users and full of praise but today i sent money from UK to my first bank account . The money seems to have entered voice mail. Since morning it not in my Naija account but World remit is saying its been paid despite me sending them a pdf copy of Naija bank statement showing no money

It's probably first bank. They've been acting crazy the past few days. I made a transfer via TransferWise also and it took almost 24hrs to reflect
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:04am On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Its first bank issues, also had a similar experience. Should be sorted soon. Meanwhile from experience WR rate is really low alongside dre charges when compared against transferwise and azimo. Any reason you prefer WR to others?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:08am On Dec 23, 2019
fatima04:

Its first bank issues, also had a similar experience. Should be sorted soon. Meanwhile from experience WR rate is really low alongside dre charges when compared against transferwise and azimo. Any reason you prefer WR to others?

No preference ........it was here i heard WR for the first time and then i used it and it went seamlessly and always used them . Never checked transferwise and azimo.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:09am On Dec 23, 2019
kode12:

It's probably first bank. They've been acting crazy the past few days. I made a transfer via TransferWise also and it took almost 24hrs to reflect

very upsetting .......... better it happened to me and not someone i sent money if not i would not have believed . But since its my account i can see it not come in . more than 24 hours now
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:10am On Dec 23, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The issue could be your bank..... I used WR today, and was credited within 30 minutes.......

thanks. I might have to call first bank this morning
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:14am On Dec 23, 2019
jamela:
Hi everyone,

Hi Jamela, I just remembered this. You can apply for Civil service jobs. Have a look at the website, hopefully you can find something. They do sponsor candidates for Tier 2 visa.

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 10:30am On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

very upsetting .......... better it happened to me and not someone i sent money if not i would not have believed . But since its my account i can see it not come in . more than 24 hours now
I can imagine. Firstbank is becoming very lax these days. I guess their customer base is now large enough to allow them misbehave.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:14am On Dec 23, 2019
kode12:

I can imagine. Firstbank is becoming very lax these days. I guess their customer base is now large enough to allow them misbehave.

Just received this email from world remit .........didnt know it was possible . How can you put in a bank details and they credit the wrong account . So what the point of putting in the bank details , SMH for world remit , now WR expect me to wait for up 60days for something that was their fault . Its a repeat transfer so i didnt put any bank detail but used what was saved and previously sent successfully .

-----------------

Dear XX

We are sorry to hear that the transfer you sent was credited to the wrong account. We may attempt a recall subject to the following conditions:

A recall can only be attempted if you request within 60 days of the transaction being paid
Recalls may only be attempted with participating correspondents and payout services
Upon requesting a recall, WorldRemit will attempt to retrieve the funds for up to 60 days
A successful recall cannot be guaranteed
If the above terms are met, we will now proceed with requesting a recall from our local partner and will keep you informed with any updates. Please bear in mind that there are many factors involved in a successful recall, including the following:

The (unintended) recipient of the funds must be reachable
The (unintended) recipient of the funds must consent to the reversal
The (unintended) recipient must have a sufficient balance to cover the recall
We are aware of the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience through this process.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 11:49am On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Just received this email from world remit .........didnt know it was possible . How can you put in a bank details and they credit the wrong account . So what the point of putting in the bank details , SMH for world remit , now WR expect me to wait for up 60days for something that was their fault . Its a repeat transfer so i didnt put any bank detail but used what was saved and previously sent successfully .

-----------------

Dear XX

We are sorry to hear that the transfer you sent was credited to the wrong account. We may attempt a recall subject to the following conditions:

A recall can only be attempted if you request within 60 days of the transaction being paid
Recalls may only be attempted with participating correspondents and payout services
Upon requesting a recall, WorldRemit will attempt to retrieve the funds for up to 60 days
If the above terms are met, we will now proceed with requesting a recall from our local partner and will keep you informed with any updates. Please bear in mind that there are many factors involved in a successful recall, including the following:

We are aware of the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience through this process.
WTH? Wow that's new. Never heard of something like this. Isn't their payment process automatic. How's it that the funds will go to another account? That's very strange. A recall now would mean they pulling the funds the account they paid into. I wonder what would happen if the owner has withdrawn already
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:32pm On Dec 23, 2019
kode12:

WTH? Wow that's new. Never heard of something like this. Isn't their payment process automatic. How's it that the funds will go to another account? That's very strange. A recall now would mean they pulling the funds the account they paid into. I wonder what would happen if the owner has withdrawn already

Very surprised to see the mail.... I guess at some point I hear that the money went to voicemail except if the honest person decides to return it

Will be interesting to see if it enters voicemail if world remit will accept responsibility and pay regardless of voicemail
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kode12: 3:59pm On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Very surprised to see the mail.... I guess at some point I hear that the money went to voicemail except if the honest person decides to return it

Will be interesting to see if it enters voicemail if world remit will accept responsibility and pay regardless of voicemail
The load will most likely be pushed to you, as their claim will be they having an automated system. Since there's no way to tell if you entered the details manually or auto-filled the forms you'll have a hard time proving the error came from them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by budaatum: 4:18pm On Dec 23, 2019
kode12:

The load will most likely be pushed to you, as their claim will be they having an automated system. Since there's no way to tell if you entered the details manually or auto-filled the forms you'll have a hard time proving the error came from them.
There must be a way to show what details you entered to prove where the error came from.

If the error is there's I suggest you push the load back on them by reporting them to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and kill them with negative reviews!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:01pm On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

-----------------

Dear XX

WTF........

WR would have to pay compensation, if WR was liable for inputting wrong details....

You need them to accept liability, once you can get this letter/email.

Make an official complaint through WR official process, and inform them of your intention to escalate to the financial ombudsman......... They would refund within 48 hours.......

60 days is taking a piss.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:08pm On Dec 23, 2019
Who is behind you, at the ATM.........

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:05pm On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

-----------------

Dear XX

What!!! So if the unintended doesnt consent to the above what happens. What is your business with unintended recipient fa? Please file a complaint asap. Hope it wasnt too much money.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:08pm On Dec 23, 2019
LagosismyHome:

No preference ........it was here i heard WR for the first time and then i used it and it went seamlessly and always used them . Never checked transferwise and azimo.

I have also used WR in the early days but I discovered it's good to have an acct/app with the 3 before making your transfer and check the one with the best rate and less fees.

For me Transferwise is usually the best most times in terms of rate and charges.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by obioraval(m): 11:39pm On Dec 23, 2019
jamela:
Hi everyone,

Summary:

However,
Point 4: The UK has an 8 year maximum study cap. As I have also held a previous (since expired) tier 4 visa on a masters course for 17 months (i.e the standard 1 year 5 months visa), it doesn't count towards continuous residence now. This is because I went back to Nigeria after I completed it and spent more than 180 days there before returning to the UK to study again. Even so, this study period is still counted by the UK Home Office as 1 year 5 months used towards the 8 year study cap.

Therefore,
Point 5: My total study period in the UK so far adds up to 6 years 5 months, which leaves me with 19 months (1year 7 months) left to use on the 8 year study cap. (But remember point 3 above)

At Present:
I learnt about the return of the Post study work scheme, though it isn't yet in effect, I heard it would only be valid for those graduating from 2021 onwards.

My Intention:
I plan to leave the UK after my DES expires next year for 6 months and return in less than 180 days to start the MBA. (This gives me 6 months of continuous residency even though I wouldn't be present in the UK for that time as long as I return within 180 days).

After the MBA programme:
6months (outside UK) + 18 months (MBA) = 2 years
Post study work visa = 2 years
This adds up to the 4 years that I need to qualify for ILR.

Questions:
Will the new PostStudyWork visas start automatically after 2021 Masters completion, or these would have to be applied for?
Is it possible for me to apply for an 18 month MBA course, even though I now have a PhD?
Does anyone know any UK universities that offer 18 month MBA programmes that begin in March/April 2021?

Would there be any issues with my current situation and intentions above?

I think you should consider a Post doc after your DES.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kolping: 9:17am On Dec 24, 2019
UK 2020 LGBT ‘No Outsiders’ Compulsory Eduation – Smashing Heteronormativity In British Primary Schools

https://www.timetounite.com/uk-2020-lgbt-no-outsiders-compulsary-eduation-smashing-heteronormativity-in-british-schools-nation/

Gay Agenda for Education in Europe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVmpCdpGrY

https://youtu.be/hIv-KOQ5F4A
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 1:55pm On Dec 24, 2019
fatima04:

I have also used WR in the early days but I discovered it's good to have an acct/app with the 3 before making your transfer and check the one with the best rate and less fees.
For me Transferwise is usually the best most times in terms of rate and charges.

I think the problem is from first bank and not WR but not sure. When i called First bank they said they is no hold on the account and the account is fine ..... Maybe my mothers prayers that i should not overdo father xmas this year is what is happening grin .... Since the WR didnt go and i couldnt wait for 60 days resolution , i went an opened Azimo account and sent the exact same money 2 days ago and it till now it hasnt been credited . Azimo has no contact number so i raised a complain via email and got this response . What are the odds that you send money through two separate provider and in both cases none was credited . It has to be with the receiving bank then . The only difference between WR and Azimo is that WR marked it as paid but Azimo status has remained as "processing your transfer" for 2 days

------------------
From Amizo , money sent 22nd and 24th stilll not credited

Thank you for contacting us.

I have checked your account and I can see that your transfer is currently being processed in the receiving country.

Due to a very high amount of transfers right before Christmas, it’s very likely that some banks may need more time to process payments.
I would recommend waiting a few more hours for the money to be delivered.If the money is not paid out by today evening, please get back to me.
We remain at your disposal in case of any further questions.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:14pm On Dec 24, 2019
LagosismyHome:

I think the problem is from first bank and not WR but not sure. When i called First bank they said they is no hold on the account and the account is fine ..... Maybe my mothers prayers that i should not overdo father xmas this year is what is happening grin .... Since the WR didnt go and i couldnt wait for 60 days resolution , i went an opened Azimo account and sent the exact same money 2 days ago and it till now it hasnt been credited . Azimo has no contact number so i raised a complain via email and got this response . What are the odds that you send money through two separate provider and in both cases none was credited . It has to be with the receiving bank then . The only difference between WR and Azimo is that WR marked it as paid but Azimo status has remained as "processing your transfer" for 2 days

------------------

I have checked your account and I can see that your transfer is currently being processed in the receiving country.

Due to a very high amount of transfers right before Christmas, it’s very likely that some banks may need more time to process payments.
I would recommend waiting a few more hours for the money to be delivered.If the money is not paid out by today evening, please get back to me.

Biko, just send some money to my account too...... My account would never reject your transfer....... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2019
LagosismyHome:

------------------

Your Mama’s prayer is not your mate.
Ququ obey mama.
If you like, go and open Transferwise tonight, the money go still hook.
God is answering mama’s prayers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:15pm On Dec 24, 2019
RalphJean:

Your Mama’s prayer is not your mate.
Ququ obey mama.
If you like, go and open Transferwise tonight, the money go still hook.
God is answering mama’s prayers

smiley cheesy grin no be lie at all ............... By the second time i have let the matter rest
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2019
CharisJay:
Hello everyone, pls how can I send an item from UK to Nigeria. Thanks in advance

Will be happy to help you sir. Kindly send a PM or WhatsApp message to 07710830230. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:39pm On Dec 24, 2019
RalphJean:

Dear MamaTukwas
Mamatukwas
Can you reply this person please?

Thank you. You’re very kind.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:42pm On Dec 24, 2019
RalphJean:

Where is mamatukwas when you need her??

I’m sorry oh! I’m here grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:44pm On Dec 24, 2019
teejay231:
Seasons greeting my people. Please does any know any reliable shipping service from London to Nigeria? I need to send a small parcel.

Our service is very reliable. Kindly send a pm or WhatsApp message to 07710830230 and we will sort you out ASAP!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:51pm On Dec 24, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Try Sendwave, i have used them x2 now and the money was in my Nigerian bank account within 10mins and they charge no commission.

The last time i used them was last Sunday 22nd

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.