Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,025 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309101 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mamacajah: 4:23pm On May 16, 2020
LuvlyIva:

Honestly she is discouraging me ever since I got this 200k monthly job. She keeps complaing all the time. UK is hard, will you be able to work longer hours. Will u be able to do care jobs, u can't further y studies here, the fees is very expensive but, a friend told me I can collect govt loan to further my studies when I get permanent stay. ( Pls how true is this?) these are all she keeps telling me since she got her permanent residence. She started advicing me to stay put, that she can be visiting for now. I am confused

Sorry but this is sending off red flags..did she start complaining like this when she got her residency and not before?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 4:48pm On May 16, 2020
LuvlyIva:
Hello house I was just discussing with a friend, she told me that my country is better than UK. She said I should not border to come to UK, that the country is hard. I told her my wife is in UK, she advice I can be visiting her. Please house I need help o for those of you that live in the UK. What are the advantages and disadvantages. Those of you that left Nigeria to UK, is UK better than Nigeria? What were the experience, Am I better off in Nigeria than UK? I am working presently and earning up to 200k, with medical, leave allowance of 200k and 13th month. (Can I get all these benefits in the UK?) My wife also keep complaining that UK is difficult. I am confused. I was just contemplating telling her to come bk and get a health care job . I need advice please my bros and sisters on how you guys were able to make it in the UK. What are the advantages of me staying in the UK. I studied Germany language, what can I start to do to get a good job. How can u guys convince me that UK is better. Thank you

UK is better than Nigeria!

UK Is better than Nigeria!

But don't take my word for it.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 5:19pm On May 16, 2020
To our healthcare workers in the house.

I want to thank you guys immensely for putting up with the COVID 19 fight and kicking it's behind gradually. You're loved, respected and well valued members of the society.

Don't feel sad if you have to refuse to treat or stay off work for a while due to stress from all that's going on; lack of PPE, adequate mental stress support etc. You are absolutely in the right. Don't forget, you're human as well.

The world owes you, remember that. You'll go down in history as legends for being in the health care industry when earth was ravaged with a virus.

Take pictures so your great-grandchildren will flex in future, that they come from a bloodline of heroes. Because that's what you are, heroes. Every Single One of Yous.

I believe by now, you'd have realized people will still have different opinions about you.

Most popular of them being; "it's what you signed up for." "You shouldn't be a doc or nurse etc if you can't stick it."

It's fine, you don't have to feel bad about it. They're just opinions. They know no better.

You deserve a pay raise and adequate staffing. You deserve better for this single act of bravery. But we know how the world works. "Whataboutisim" will kill that in an instant.

However, we do hope when all these is over, the whole world will realize how valuable you are and do the needful.

Stay safe. Stay alive.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 5:40pm On May 16, 2020
Random walks

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:18pm On May 16, 2020
LuvlyIva:
Hello house I was just discussing with a friend, she told me that my country is better than UK. She said I should not border to come to UK, that the country is hard. I told her my wife is in UK, she advice I can be visiting her. Please house I need help o for those of you that live in the UK. What are the advantages and disadvantages. Those of you that left Nigeria to UK, is UK better than Nigeria? What were the experience, Am I better off in Nigeria than UK? I am working presently and earning up to 200k, with medical, leave allowance of 200k and 13th month. (Can I get all these benefits in the UK?) My wife also keep complaining that UK is difficult. I am confused. I was just contemplating telling her to come bk and get a health care job . I need advice please my bros and sisters on how you guys were able to make it in the UK. What are the advantages of me staying in the UK. I studied Germany language, what can I start to do to get a good job. How can u guys convince me that UK is better. Thank you
its a different kind of hustle. its generally better, but Nigeria has some appeal and benefit. but uk is better. it can be hard. its hardwork. Benefits come after a while. no easy wins

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:25pm On May 16, 2020
missjekyll:

Anybody making 800k in Nigeria must be very highly skilled. I m not surprised he is making even more in the UK. Poster are you very highly skilled? I see you talking about working without certificate? and going to school at the same time.

You must be married for 10 years to a citizen to become a citizen. only citizens can access loans.

So,in effect and I stand to be corrected, you will come to the uk ,rent and grocery and transport and entertainment bills will increase, you will go to school putting even further stress on her salary.

Please line up a job or have a plan before you leave Nigeria. Money stress can collapse marriages.

@ the bolded: Truer words have never been spoken!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:19pm On May 16, 2020
yes please .. that's why i want to first have my name on the Tenancy agreement and then Council Tax bill

This will help me get 2 documents with our names on it, i.e. Tenancy agreement & Council Tax bill for spousal visa extension (Proof that we have been living together)

I do hope the council tax authorities can send a revised bill since covering from the period i moved in at least.. or at least this year..

LagosismyHome:

What she is talking about is a discount you get if it is said that only one adult lives in the property. I think its 25 percent discount for single person

However if your wife and sister was on the bill then chances are the property was not on a single person discount so not applicable anyway. If you are doing spouse Visa extension then its essential you have evidence that you live together and a bill together is an evidence
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:28pm On May 16, 2020
i dont think 200k is a lot of money in Nigeria tbh

I earned over 300k in Naija but still u can't really save because apart from the taxes paid, u have to sort almost every other amenity your self, e.g. buying fuel for gen and still paying PHCN bill at the same time.. meanwhile here u pay for what u use.. etc..

In Naija, u're also one ailment away from poverty .. etc..

LuvlyIva:

Thank you for your response but, our money is not the same. 200k in Nigeria is lot of Money. So how much can I be earning in the UK. And what is the minimum salary for one that doesn't have a certificate. What kind of job can I do as I come in UK. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:30pm On May 16, 2020
The sun here is a joke.... compared to naija sun and heat..

i miss Naija tho but mehn high blood pressure would have become a thing for me..

Good thing is i'm only 6hrs away by flight ( i know corona has dulled this a bit)

LuvlyIva:

Lol! No more up NEPA!!! Thank you. Please give me more u are enjoying
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:39pm On May 16, 2020
ahhhh.. persuading her?

i don't feel alright with the vibe of that sha...... i mean y'all are a family right? should there even be a need for persuasion?

story isn't so clear..

LuvlyIva:

Thank you for your response. I will keep persuading her.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LuvlyIva(m): 8:12pm On May 16, 2020
Dear house many thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate. God bless u all. U guys are always the best. I have gone through y various responses and I feel good . Thank you all.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 8:18pm On May 16, 2020
LuvlyIva:

Well I am getting the vibe your wife has gone through some hard times and doesn't want to go through those kind of times anymore when you come over especially with your talk of loans and further study.

You need to look how you will rebrand your naija skill set to fit into the UK setting, look at ways you can add value to her and not put more financial stress.

200k is not very much compared to the comfort and rest of mind you will get living in the same house with your wife and family.

My advice to you will be, talk to your wife, hear out her fears then assure her you are ready to do any type of work and not become a financial burden.

Get to the UK with your savings in hand, get any job to support her and use your savings to do some certifications in an area you want to focus on. (You can Google to find areas)

The UK is only hard for couples that dont have a common goal...if you're both ready to work and sacrifice for each other then you will enjoy the place but if one partner feels entitled and wants the other to be understanding and carry all the financial burden then wahala must dey o

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:45pm On May 16, 2020
Inkredible:
To our healthcare workers in the house.

I want to thank you guys immensely for putting up with the COVID 19 fight and kicking it's behind gradually. You're loved, respected and well valued members of the society.

Don't feel sad if you have to refuse to treat or stay off work for a while due to stress from all that's going on; lack of PPE, adequate mental stress support etc. You are absolutely in the right. Don't forget, you're human as well.

The world owes you, remember that. You'll go down in history as legends for being in the health care industry when earth was ravaged with a virus.

Take pictures so your great-grandchildren will flex in future, that they come from a bloodline of heroes. Because that's what you are, heroes. Every Single One of Yous.

I believe by now, you'd have realized people will still have different opinions about you.

Most popular of them being; "it's what you signed up for." "You shouldn't be a doc or nurse etc if you can't stick it."

It's fine, you don't have to feel bad about it. They're just opinions. They know no better.

You deserve a pay raise and adequate staffing. You deserve better for this single act of bravery. But we know how the world works. "Whataboutisim" will kill that in an instant.

However, we do hope when all these is over, the whole world will realize how valuable you are and do the needful.

Stay safe. Stay alive.

Welcome back bros. Long time no hear grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:42pm On May 16, 2020
dustydee:

No. In my organisation then, I know some people that request for theirs at the beginning of the year to take care of other commitments.

I meant, can one take 2 weeks this month, 1 week in August, 3 days here and there or it has to be taken as a whole?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 10:04pm On May 16, 2020

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 10:44pm On May 16, 2020
fatima04:

Welcome back bros. Long time no hear grin

Our chairlady... You're doing well.

I went off the radar for awhile. Glad to be back. Hope you're keeping safe dear?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LuvlyIva(m): 1:22am On May 17, 2020
EngrSaks:

Well I am getting the vibe your wife has gone through some hard times and doesn't want to go through those kind of times anymore when you come over especially with your talk of loans and further study.

You need to look how you will rebrand your naija skill set to fit into the UK setting, look at ways you can add value to her and not put more financial stress.

200k is not very much compared to the comfort and rest of mind you will get living in the same house with your wife and family.

My advice to you will be, talk to your wife, hear out her fears then assure her you are ready to do any type of work and not become a financial burden.

Get to the UK with your savings in hand, get any job to support her and use your savings to do some certifications in an area you want to focus on. (You can Google to find areas)

The UK is only hard for couples that dont have a common goal...if you're both ready to work and sacrifice for each other then you will enjoy the place but if one partner feels entitled and wants the other to be understanding and carry all the financial burden then wahala must dey o
Many thanks for the advice. I appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:58am On May 17, 2020
DisGuy:

I meant, can one take 2 weeks this month, 1 week in August, 3 days here and there or it has to be taken as a whole?
Yes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mayluv(f): 10:52am On May 17, 2020
Good morning house and happy sunday to you all. Please can someone recommend a good logistics company that handles delivery of items from Nigeria to the UK? Thanks in advance.

Cc fatima04
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:54am On May 17, 2020
mayluv:
Good morning house and happy sunday to you all. Please can someone recommend a good logistics company that handles delivery of items from Nigeria to the UK? Thanks in advance.

Cc fatima04

Have you made enquiries through Mamatukwas?

Also try this number +44 7903 520953, but you would have to take goods to NAHCO cargo unit. She does door2door too....

You can also chat her up on whatsapp......

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mayluv(f): 12:29pm On May 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Have you made enquiries through Mamatukwas?

Also try this number +44 7903 520953, but you would have to take goods to NAHCO cargo unit. She does door2door too....

You can also chat her up on whatsapp......

Thanks so much sir. My utmost respect to you. I will chat her up and see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Jayvallia: 12:56pm On May 17, 2020
LuvlyIva:

[color=#990000][/color]
Oga your wife has found someone else. Simple as ABC. If I were you I'd take a leave from work to go and live with them for a while. If everything is fine then you can stay back. Else just carry your kaya and stay in Naija. Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Uglyduckling: 1:25pm On May 17, 2020
LuvlyIva:

Sorry sir, I’m not disputing your claims but everyone suddenly thinks your wife is the devil. I remember your previous posts where you said your wife has been out of work due to covid as she was isolating due to her “sugar problem” which I’m sure you meant diabetes. I remember very well in that post that your couldn’t care less about this despite the fact that diabetes is a high risk factor for mortality from corona virus. I also remember that from that post she is an agency worker meaning if she doesn’t work she doesn’t earn. All you cared for at that time was that she had to work to meet the financial requirements to bring you over. Seeing as the U.K. is such a hard place if your spouse is not supportive it doesn’t need a genius to figure out her sudden cold feet. But now we are all Joining you to lambast and flay this poor lady who we don’t know how she is coping in this period of uncertainty.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 1:42pm On May 17, 2020
Uglyduckling:

Sorry sir, I’m not disputing your claims but everyone suddenly thinks your wife is the devil. I remember your previous posts where you said your wife has been out of work due to covid as she was isolating due to her “sugar problem” which I’m sure you meant diabetes. I remember very well in that post that your couldn’t care less about this despite the fact that diabetes is a high risk factor for mortality from corona virus. I also remember that from that post she is an agency worker meaning if she doesn’t work she doesn’t earn. All you cared for at that time was that she had to work to meet the financial requirements to bring you over. Seeing as the U.K. is such a hard place if your spouse is not supportive it doesn’t need a genius to figure out her sudden cold feet. But now we are all Joining you to lambast and flay this poor lady who we don’t know how she is coping in this period of uncertainty.

Poster,you may not see it but it's obvious to me that your wife is struggling seriously financially already.

What value can you add to your family financially at the moment in the UK? If you cant , it may be better to stay in Nigeria where you can add value for now. You can go visit for a month if you like. It's only 6 hours . But You must continue working. Must.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 2:25pm On May 17, 2020
Has any of you lovely people found any money transfer site paying more than Ace? lol,azimo was cheating me for so long. I dont want to miss out again o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:30pm On May 17, 2020
LuvlyIva:

Bros i think you should read inbetween the lines here, she doesn't want you to come to the UK and she doesn't want to return to Nigeria either, she only want to be visiting you and you are here asking questions about the UK vs Nigeria?

Ok lets just pretend as if we don't know that this marriage is in ICU.

200K is not enough to start comparing the UK to Nigeria because cleaners makes more than that and still enjoy 'free heath care' live in a relatively safer environment, uninterrupted power supply, good roads..etc

My neigbour works with Amazon and he gets about 206 hours holiday, 40-50 hours emergency holiday(go home anytimie you want paid) and 6 weeks paid sick leave a year.

6 weeks paid paternity leave, private medical benefit, career choice benefit..basically if he wants to leave Amazon they will help him to get trained for another career and you can leave at the end. If you worked there for one full year as a permanent staff and want to leave you will be given £1500 and more than that if you have worked longer.

You need no qualification to get all these and he works 4days in and 3days out weekly.

During this coronavirus problem he got 12weeks paid leave, this is not from his statutory leave allowance.

You can compare the UK to Nigeria on individual bases because there are Nigerians who are doing very well than many us here but as a system as whole..you can't compare night and day.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:50pm On May 17, 2020
missjekyll:

Poster,you may not see it but it's obvious to me that your wife is struggling seriously financially already.

What value can you add to your family financially at the moment in the UK? If you cant , it may be better to stay in Nigeria where you can add value for now. You can go visit for a month if you like. It's only 6 hours . But You must continue working. Must.

Una get time o, he wants you to convince him uk is better......... cheesy

UK is worse than Syria, best he remains in Nigeria. And only visits occasionally, boys would be doing schedule servicing and interim servicing on his behalf.......

Boys are not smiling....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mamacajah: 3:09pm On May 17, 2020
Lexusgs430:

UK is worse than Syria, best he remains in Nigeria. And only visits occasionally, boys would be doing schedule servicing and interim servicing on his behalf.......

you badd...this reply get to win oscar award.. grin
infact, after I finished replying, I then took my time to read all his posts.. and men, I was so disappointed with myself that I didn't start from there first before writting (lesson learnt). Infact, I hail the woman, she don try... me I leave mata for mathias oh.. husband and wife mata, no need to get too involved..

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:17pm On May 17, 2020
mamacajah:

you badd...this reply get to win oscar award.. grin
infact, after I finished replying, I then took my time to read all his posts.. and men, I was so disappointed with myself that I didn't start from there first before writting (lesson learnt). Infact, I hail the woman, she don try... me I leave mata for mathias oh.. husband and wife mata, no need to get too involved..

When a grown human being, expects you to hold his hands to cross the road, spoonfeed him, wash his back, wash his face.......

It is expected he would soon seek our tool, for the oza room acrobatics.....

My own cutlass, get only one face...... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 4:42pm On May 17, 2020
Your points are spot on but it's usually 5 years (minus the time between attaining ILR and filing for citizenship); 10 years if the couple doesn't meet one or more requirements.
missjekyll:

Anybody making 800k in Nigeria must be very highly skilled. I m not surprised he is making even more in the UK. Poster are you very highly skilled? I see you talking about working without certificate? and going to school at the same time.

You must be married for 10 years to a citizen to become a citizen. only citizens can access loans.

So,in effect and I stand to be corrected, you will come to the uk ,rent and grocery and transport and entertainment bills will increase, you will go to school putting even further stress on her salary.

Please line up a job or have a plan before you leave Nigeria. Money stress can collapse marriages.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 6:41pm On May 17, 2020
Lexus lmfaoooooooooooo

schedule and interim lol..

y'all shouldn't make him get scared...

he just needs to get to that point where he takes the decision..

Lexusgs430:

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.