Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1301921 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 9:22pm On Oct 10, 2020
Good evening
I need advice, I think it will be given better by those that stay in the uk
We will be relocating to the UK, Liverpool to be precise(tier 2 visa) we are a family of 3
With respect to clothing, food, accommodation and flight

My wife wants to bring along some foodstuffs, please what kind of foodstuffs are permissible?

We intend to buy just one jacket per person till we get to the UK, is this decision okay?

The organisation is not providing us any accommodation and we need a place for isolation. Please what are the best options with regards to cost

We are planning on booking Turkish Airlines, good decision?

I will be grateful for your inputs

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:02pm On Oct 10, 2020
flinton:
Good evening
I need advice, I think it will be given better by those that stay in the uk
We will be relocating to the UK, Liverpool to be precise(tier 2 visa) we are a family of 3
With respect to clothing, food, accommodation and flight

My wife wants to bring along some foodstuffs, please what kind of foodstuffs are permissible?
Most Nigerian foodstuff are available here, bt things like egusi, ogbon crayfish can seem pricey i comparison with naija.
she can bring any food items as log as its nt liquid. and max for fish is 20kg

We intend to buy just one jacket per person till we get to the UK, is this decision okay?
Yes

The organisation is not providing us any accommodation and we need a place for isolation. Please what are the best options with regards to cost
Airbnb

We are planning on booking Turkish Airlines, good decision?
Most airlnes offer similar service, it all depends o the price.
Make sure you fly to manchester as its much closer to liverpool than london, and easier to get to

I will be grateful for your inputs
Welcme to liverpool

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 2:08am On Oct 11, 2020
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT.
please with this financial requirement I want to confirm if it is good to make spousa visa application. Did the person meet the financial requirement? I will appreciate responses from people that came to UK through spouse visa. Thank
Tou.

April:- Gross £1,896 (2) May salary:- gross£2,142 (3) June salary: gross £2,500(4) July salary gross:- £2970 (5) August salary gross £2,845 (6) September salary. gross £3,932

Kindly assist me do the calculation.

The total amount for six months is
£16,289. Kindly assist on how to do the calculation to get the £18,600. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 2:15am On Oct 11, 2020
Monmarri:
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT.
please with this financial requirement I want to confirm if it is good to make spousa visa application. Did the person meet the financial requirement? I will appreciate responses from people that came to UK through spouse visa. Thank
Tou.

April:- Gross £1,896 (2) May salary:- gross£2,142 (3) June salary: gross £2,500(4) July salary gross:- £2970 (5) August salary gross £2,845 (6) September salary. gross £3,932

Kindly assist me do the calculation. Thank you

You tell us the total for the months
.. ..... people are busy o. No time to bring calculator and add this up individually... no vex smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:15am On Oct 11, 2020
umarwy:

Welcme to liverpool
Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 6:22am On Oct 11, 2020
LagosismyHome:

You tell us the total for the months
.. ..... people are busy o. No time to bring calculator and add this up individually... no vex smiley

£16,289. Kindly assist on how to do the calculation to get the £18,600. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 10:20am On Oct 11, 2020
Good day good people.

My cousin is considering coming to the UK for masters next year. Please which of these courses has a better potential as regards chances & ease of getting a job and good pay

Project Management
Supply Chain Management
IT (Data Analyst)
SAP Developer (He read Accounting)

Or please guys kindly recommend jobs/skills that are in high demand in the UK as he intends to file for PR after his studies. (apart from Engineering/Health Services)
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 10:48am On Oct 11, 2020
@bolded.. Does he intend to study for 10 years and then file for PR? I ask 'cos you make it sound like na so them dey issue PR

AltCtrlDel:
Good day good people.

My cousin is considering coming to the UK for masters next year. Please which of these courses has a better potential as regards chances & ease of getting a job and good pay

Project Management
Supply Chain Management
IT (Data Analyst)

Or please guys kindly recommend jobs/skills that are in high demand in the UK as he intends to file for PR after his studies. (apart from Engineering/Health Services)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:02am On Oct 11, 2020
My people, please for dependant on student visa, is middle name really important. Bank statement of the partner shows middle name but other documents doesnt include that name e.g marriage certificate and kids certificates.

Also, must the bank statement be stamped on each page if its on banks letterhead. Though the guidance says its not really necessary.

@LagosismyHome @justwise @mimilyrics and other good NL family members
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teemez: 11:51am On Oct 11, 2020
Good morning, kudos to everyone contributing on this thread. Asking the question on behalf of a brother:

Question:
Please a quick response is needed as he is about to make a decision by paying School deposit tomorrow location is Oxfordshine.

his profile:
He is Software Developer with paid employment here in Nigeria, he also have his personal business with an average income of like 800k per month, he is also a family man and he live in his own house, presently maintaining 3 cars, wife also have her business running averagely well just to mention but few about him.

The Big Question is that he seems to be tired of this country and he is finding every means NOT to raise his children in this country. So the main reason why he wants to travel abroad is to explore every means to stay permanently after study, please how attainable is this plan?.

Please for those living in the UK, what is life like for IT professional in the UK? Viz and viz securing a job during and after study (M.Sc) the average living expenses and how attainable is the dream of living a better life.

Note: Considering his little status here working as a security guard or shop attendant may not be of best interest ALTHOUGH he is not unaware that nothing good comes in easy way especially in foreign land.

Thanks for your prompt responses
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 11:52am On Oct 11, 2020
Bourne007:
@bolded.. Does he intend to study for 10 years and then file for PR? I ask 'cos you make it sound like na so them dey issue PR

He showed me a new post study redress by the UK govt where one is allowed to stay 2years after his/her master's. And by extension/luck get an employer sponsored visa. And one can file for PR or something having stayed in the UK for 5years

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EmmyKing86(m): 2:10pm On Oct 11, 2020
Thanks for the response.

Soknown:

Mine expired in June, I paid for the renewal in the same month. I was contacted to come for the Biometric this week. Rumours have it that they have a lot of backlogs to sort out because of the lockdown.
My friend paid for renewal in January, she was contacted to come for Biometric capture in July.
The Covid 19 saga disrupted a lot of activities, you know.
If you don't get an appointment by October ending. I suggest that you should print out your payment acknowledgement details and go to the Nigeria House.
Let me know if you need further assistance by then.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2020
fatima04:
My people, please for dependant on student visa, is middle name really important. Bank statement of the partner shows middle name but other documents doesnt include that name e.g marriage certificate and kids certificates.

Also, must the bank statement be stamped on each page if its on banks letterhead. Though the guidance says its not really necessary.

I don't think that is a prob, first and last names need to be consistent in her documents and stamping bank statement is not necessary.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Teemez:
Good morning, kudos to everyone contributing on this thread. Asking the question on behalf of a brother:

Question:
Please a quick response is needed as he is about to make a decision by paying School deposit tomorrow location is Oxfordshine.

his profile:
He is Software Developer with paid employment here in Nigeria, he also have his personal business with an average income of like 800k per month, he is also a family man and he live in his own house, presently maintaining 3 cars, wife also have her business running averagely well just to mention but few about him.

The Big Question is that he seems to be tired of this country and he is finding every means NOT to raise his children in this country. So the main reason why he wants to travel abroad is to explore every means to stay permanently after study, please how attainable is this plan?.

Please for those living in the UK, what is life like for IT professional in the UK? Viz and viz securing a job during and after study (M.Sc) the average living expenses and how attainable is the dream of living a better life.

Note: Considering his little status here working as a security guard or shop attendant may not be of best interest ALTHOUGH he is not unaware that nothing good comes in easy way especially in foreign land.

I suggest that he comes in first without his family to weigh up things then decide whether he can hack it in the UK.

Does he have kids?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:00pm On Oct 11, 2020
fatima04:

I have definitely seen old post where it was said it didnt matter
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 3:10pm On Oct 11, 2020
justwise:

I don't think that is a prob, first and last names need to be consistent in her documents and stamping bank statement is not necessary.

Thanks, all others are same. Just that Bank statement where the middle name appeared
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I have definitely seen old post where it was said it didnt matter

Thanks sis, tried searching but couldn't see any reference.

Maybe will just add affidavit and cover letter for peace of mind cos the bank statement is the most important document for dependant.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2020
fatima04:

Maybe will just add affidavit and cover letter for peace of mind cos the bank statement is the most important document for dependant.
It does not matter since the first and last name are shown. Affidavit may even attract more scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:39pm On Oct 11, 2020
fatima04:

Now that I think of it very few of my documents have my middle name so have a lot more documents with first and last. I think this absolutely fine
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teemez: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2020
Yes, two boys.more input will be appreciated
justwise:

I suggest that he comes in first without his family to weigh up things then decide whether he can hack it in the UK.

Does he have kids?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:57pm On Oct 11, 2020
Teemez:
Yes, two boys.more input will be appreciated

As a software developer he has a good chance of getting a job after graduation if he is good at it, with the two years post-study work permit program he will have enough time to make that decision.

He can come first then bring his family later.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tennyalad(m): 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2020
There are two main universities in Oxfordshire, if he's going to the ivy league one, he's will be in a position to choose any jobs he basically wants to do.

Depending on the dev language he's proficient in, he would probably make the same money he already makes in Nigeria here working part time during study and he's almost guaranteed to get a job post study that would probably lead to sponsorship.

I work in the industry and know how easy it is to extend an offer and hope the person starts before getting a better offer elsewhere.

Teemez:

Question:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teemez: 9:26pm On Oct 11, 2020
Thanks so much bro, can you please emphasis on the last paragraph. What do you mean by getting a better offer else where? If you dont mind please can he connect with you via telegram, WhatsApp e.t.c as a mentor in his field
tennyalad:
There are two main universities in Oxfordshire, if he's going to the ivy league one, he's will be in a position to choose any jobs he basically wants to do.

Depending on the dev language he's proficient in, he would probably make the same money he already makes in Nigeria here working part time during study and he's almost guaranteed to get a job post study that would probably lead to sponsorship.

I work in the industry and know how easy it is to extend an offer and hope the person starts before getting a better offer elsewhere.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Teemez: 9:31pm On Oct 11, 2020
Thanks bro, Living his family behind might not be an option for him, Also, considering house rent in the UK, just curious if his earning of part time job during study will be enough to cater for that without having to source fund from naija?
justwise:

As a software developer he has a good chance of getting a job after graduation if he is good at it, with the two years post-study work permit program he will have enough time to make that decision.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:33pm On Oct 11, 2020
Monmarri:

The requirement is a minimum of £18k6 annually. Yours is almost 17k after 6 months shey? So you’re good to go.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:38pm On Oct 11, 2020
AltCtrlDel:
Good day good people.

Project Management
Supply Chain Management
IT (Data Analyst)

File for PR as in Permanent Residency? I’m this UK abi is there another UK? grin

Even us that have British spouse and children don’t have permanent residency, doctors that have been working here for 4 years don’t have permanent residency, na student grin

SAP is a software that he can learn. He doesn’t need a degree in it. No need to do a degree in project management (which is even phasing out due to agile practice), supply chain is great but a professional course in it can suffice no need to do a degree in it. Data can’t fail anyone but this person has to know sql, Python and R; they can’t just expect to get a degree in DA and get a Data job.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:42pm On Oct 11, 2020
fatima04:

Middle name is not necessary if it’s not shown on documents. Not all documents include middle name.

As far as it’s not letter head it’s fine. You don’t even need it stamped if it’s a UK bank. They can easily call and verify the authenticity of the bank statement if they need to.

The stamping madness is mostly needed when it’s a Nigerian bank account because they can’t trust the authenticity easily.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2020
Teemez:

Question:

his profile:

Let the wife come and do the masters. He shouldn’t leave a lucrative job to come here, that’s a huge risk. I don’t advice he leaves his job to come here because he won’t be allowed to do professional work while studying and may need to work in a store or become a carer during his studies, which is why wifey is the best bet (since oga na big man). When she’s done studying, she can then try and get a job. If she gets a professional job, the kids and the man can move and he can leave his job in Nigeria to hunt here.

Since he will be coming in as an experienced dev, getting a job may be easy, however, he won’t get the big pay he used to get during the first year (due to not having UK work experience which matters to most companies).

After a year or two, he can aim to become a senior Dev and can earn between 50 and 60 if it’s a good organisation (but this is for specialised languages like swift).

Wish him the best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:57pm On Oct 11, 2020
Teemez:

Question:

Hang on. If he is paid 800k monthly in Nigeria, he must be experienced enough to apply for a job from Nigeria, he doesn’t need to come here to apply and IT is part of shortage list. The only problem is this might take time.

Another way would be the T1 route. He seems to be rich, he should check what he needs to sponsor himself through the T1 route (Technation visa).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Realgeo(m): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2020
Justice can I pm you. I need your advice.
justwise:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by AltCtrlDel: 10:01pm On Oct 11, 2020
Aphrodite007:

File for PR as in Permanent Residency? I’m this UK abi is there another UK? grin

Even us that have British spouse and children don’t have permanent residency, doctors that have been working here for 4 years don’t have permanent residency, na student grin

SAP is a software that he can learn. He doesn’t need a degree in it. No need to do a degree in project management (which is even phasing out due to agile practice), supply chain is great but a professional course in it can suffice no need to do a degree in it. Data can’t fail anyone but this person has to know sql, Python and R; they can’t just expect to get a degree in DA and get a Data job.

Thanks for the detailed response. I wouldn't precisely know if it's permanent residence or green card he called it. But he mentioned something about staying in the UK for years.

He's coming to the UK for masters degree with the hope relocating with his family but he hasn't really figured out the kinda job he would take up there.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 10:29pm On Oct 11, 2020
Aphrodite007:

The requirement is a minimum of £18k6 annually. Yours is almost 17k after 6 months shey? So you’re good to go.

Thank you. Yes total of six months pay slips

(1) (2) (3) ... (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.