Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,400 members, 7,815,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (428) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306005 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tshoboy(m): 8:43pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:
I hope this gives hope to some people here, I still can’t believe I am now a home owner and a brand new car 2020 plate car, also undergoing a fully funded post graduate clinical course in University of Leeds from my Trust, just within my 20 months stay in the UK. Mehn this country has been good to me. Anything is possible.
Congratulations Chief. Wishing you continuous success.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:
I hope this gives hope to some people here, I still can’t believe I am now a home owner and a brand new car 2020 plate car, also undergoing a fully funded post graduate clinical course in University of Leeds from my Trust, just within my 20 months stay in the UK. Mehn this country has been good to me. Anything is possible.

Yayyyy Congratulations to you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:46pm On Nov 08, 2020
mdeeokoye:
That was how one recruiter was trying to "bobo" me yesterday that once i work for 3 years then i can apply for ILR. I just told him OK. cheesy

He may have been right. I think one of those talent visas leads to ILR in 3 years, I don't know if that has changed.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Monmarri: 9:55pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:

Congratulations guy. I love the hard work. Keep it up and God's divine blessings

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 10:01pm On Nov 08, 2020
Tobexin:
sure that is how I do drive but still visibility is bad... here in North east of England the weather is something else.
Agreed. Fog lights doesn't help with the kind of fog we experience in the North, that kind of fog takes some getting used to. I normally close from work by 11pm and get home by just past 12am, and I have experienced some heavy foggy conditions at that time of the night. I simply reduce my speed to 30mph on the 60mph foggy country roads. The good thing is that at that time of the night, there is little or no traffic.

Just wait until the heavy snow comes, and combines with the heavy fog and night time driving.grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 10:04pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:

Awesome news! Congratulations bro...Big Wins!!!!

Start planning to buy the next house to rent out grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 11:24pm On Nov 08, 2020
humblemoi:

Congratulations to you!!! Wishing you more blessings
Thanks a lot
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TRAY2(m): 11:28pm On Nov 08, 2020
EngrSaks:

Awesome news! Congratulations bro...Big Wins!!!!

Start planning to buy the next house to rent out grin

That is the plan.. in the next 3 years, when I must have bagged my ILR or citizenship..then I go even get mouth enjoy better deals.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:37pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:

That is the plan.. in the next 3 years, when I must have bagged my ILR or citizenship..then I go even get mouth enjoy better deals.

Congrats bro..There's a special feeling when you get the keys to your own home. Well done!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 11:38pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:

I tap into this blessing
I just arrived, still observing 14 days isolation
I am a biomedical scientist, hopefully I will get my practicing licence soon. I will be grateful if tips on survival and money making is shared. I'm willing to learn

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 11:40pm On Nov 08, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Really you were able to check in Heathrow with an expired passport ?

Manchester.

I showed the guy at the airline desk, he was asking me why I needed it grin I explained it was my ETC cos my passport was expired, then he said I didn’t need it as I was going to Nigeria and that he had even checked me in with the expired passport but since I had given him that document, to wait till he got clearance from his superior. He got up and left me there to go and ask his Oga whether he could use the doc. Lol

No one asked me at Manchester or Istanbul. Just in Nigeria, and they asked me jokingly.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:51pm On Nov 08, 2020
TRAY2:

Thats the Spirit! Wish you more wins!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Soknown: 1:09am On Nov 09, 2020
marylandcakes:

Did you put on your fog lights?
My car only have rear fog light.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Soknown: 1:21am On Nov 09, 2020
EmmyKing86:

So the Nigerian High Commission London is closed to the public indefinitely due to the lockdown in England.
Nigeria always finds a way to make things more complicated than it should be.
Even outside the shores of the country, Nigeria can still happen to you anytime, annoyingly so. I got my passport on October 30, I started the application in June.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Soknown: 1:25am On Nov 09, 2020
Tobexin:
I experienced this yesterday I was actually wondering if it was my sight ooo... it was so terrible yesterday. Still gonna drive home from work this night... my heart bits I don’t know what I am gonna face this night.
It was really bad on that night. It was better the following day.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iCode2: 1:50am On Nov 09, 2020
TRAY2:
Congrats man. More wins.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Pearlyfaze: 7:46am On Nov 09, 2020
tshoboy:

Hahaha, but the more citizenship you have, the more tax complications you have to face. Some of these countries aren’t under double treaty and will require you to pay tax in both countries.

Wetin to use pay the tax go there naa. Beside Na only two get that system. Naija nor go get half there in another 60years nor be curse.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 7:56am On Nov 09, 2020
Soknown:

My car only have rear fog light.

There is a setting to convert headlights to fog conditions.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:03am On Nov 09, 2020
TRAY2:

Congratulations Tray2, wishing you many more!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Soknown: 9:38am On Nov 09, 2020
marylandcakes:

There is a setting to convert headlights to fog conditions.
Thanks, I will have to look closely again.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 9:54am On Nov 09, 2020
Why are houses so cheap in the northeast of England? Was checking on zoopla and could find Two bed apartment for as low as £25,000 outright payment.... no bidding or auction involved and most houses don’t need much renovations. Any reason for this price guys ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jaeybee98(m): 9:58am On Nov 09, 2020
flinton:

I tap into this blessing
I just arrived, still observing 14 days isolation
I am a biomedical scientist, hopefully I will get my practicing licence soon. I will be grateful if tips on survival and money making is shared. I'm willing to learn
Hello, were you able to secure a job without HCPC certification?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 10:09am On Nov 09, 2020
Tobexin:
Why are houses so cheap in the northeast of England? Was checking on zoopla and could find Two bed apartment for as low as £25,000 outright payment.... no bidding or auction involved and most houses don’t need much renovations. Any reason for this price guys ?

Same reason why it’s cheaper to buy a House in Damaturu, Yobe state or in Azare, Bauchi state, or in Song, Adamawa state, or in Lassa, Borno state... than it is to buy in Abuja or Lagos or Portharcourt.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:09am On Nov 09, 2020
Tobexin:

Same way houses in banana island or some part of lagos or Abuja is a thousand times more than house in ijebu or some smaller towns in the north .

Economic factor, average earnings, demand etc comes into play when it comes to affordability and house prices .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 10:12am On Nov 09, 2020
to my seniors in UK, well done o.

just arrived uk last month and.looking for care

my questions is that what can one do to make little money that will be cash at hand.

mind u please I am in Norwich and it seems everybody is white here.

please give me hope.

thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 10:13am On Nov 09, 2020
RalphJean:

Same reason why it’s cheaper to buy a House in Damaturu, Yobe state or in Azare, Bauchi state, or in Song, Adamawa state, or in Lassa, Borno state... than it is to buy in Abuja or Lagos or Portharcourt.

I want to vex cos I live in the north, but na true you talk grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 10:44am On Nov 09, 2020
Congratulations!
Please tutor us, some of us are really struggling

TRAY2:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TrumpsWall: 10:47am On Nov 09, 2020
I thought it was Jaguar self cool .. Congrats matey

TRAY2:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EmmyKing86(m): 10:53am On Nov 09, 2020
Good morning all.

I am really happy to see that a lot of fellow Nigerians are relocating to the UK and doing very well for themselves. It's very refreshing to hear irrespective of the obstacles we face on our journey to success.

Having said that, I want to say that it is highly impossible for anybody to come from Nigeria or any other 3rd world country and in less than 2 years OWN a house or a brand new 2019/20202021 car. If you noticed, I placed a huge emphasis on the word 'OWN'. If you take a mortgage to buy a house or you are making installmental payments for the brand new car you bought, I am sorry, you do not own those properties and you have plunged yourself into debt. It can take more than 30 years to clear these debts. If something happens and you are not able to make the payments, they would be re-possessed immediately.

My advice for anybody coming on a tier 2 visa is to save and aim for (financial) stability. Getting a mortgage, buying brand new fancy cars, and making any unnecessary purchases within the first 2 years is really not ideal, in addition to all other monthly bills & taxes that will be paid. Use this time to build wealth, save, build a good credit e.t.c. If you end up losing the job and are not able to secure another one under the grace period you would be removed out of the country. Why not try to settle down and after 5 years of being under tier 2 status you would be eligible to apply for ILR which is one of the most stable statuses for immigrants as your stay will no longer be dependent on your work sponsor.

I think it is important for us not to give our country people the wrong impression of life here in the western world. I'm quite sure most of us might have had the experience of receiving phone calls to send money back home because they think we are living in heaven on earth. We are currently in unprecedented times, multiple jobs are no longer secure mostly due to the economic fallout of the pandemic. I can only say that the most secure jobs presently are GP & nursing jobs within the NHS.

Aiming for financial stability should be the objective.

Wishing everyone well as we all hustle in our own legitimate ways.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 11:00am On Nov 09, 2020
EmmyKing86:
Good morning all.

I am really happy to see that a lot of fellow Nigerians are relocating to the UK and doing very well for themselves. It's very refreshing to hear irrespective of the obstacles we face on our journey to success.

Having said that, I want to say that it is highly impossible for anybody to come from Nigeria or any other 3rd world country and in less than 2 years OWN a house or a brand new 2019/20202021 car. If you noticed, I placed a huge emphasis on the word 'OWN'. If you take a mortgage to buy a house or you are making installmental payments for the brand new car you bought, I am sorry, you do not own those properties and you have plunged yourself into debt. If something happens and you are not able to make the payments, they would be re-possessed immediately.

My advice for anybody coming on a tier 2 visa is to save and aim for (financial) stability. Getting a mortgage, buying brand new fancy cars, and making any unnecessary purchases within the first 2 years is really not ideal, in addition to all other monthly bills & taxes that will be paid. Use this time to build wealth, save, build a good credit e.t.c. If you end up losing the job and are not able to secure another one under the grace period you would be removed out of the country. Why not try to settle down and after 5 years of being under tier 2 status you would be eligible to apply for ILR which is one of the most stable statuses for immigrants as your stay will no longer be dependent on your work sponsor.

I think it is important for us not to give our country people the wrong impression of life here in the western world. I'm quite sure most of us might have had the experience of receiving phone calls to send money back home because they think we are living in heaven on earth. We are currently in unprecedented times, multiple jobs are no longer secure mostly due to the economic fallout of the pandemic. I can only say that the most secure jobs presently are GP & nursing jobs within the NHS.

Everyone path is different and been a house owner is good so congrats to TRAY2 , you have done well but above raised a valid point.... trying to over achieve within 2 years can be risky especially in a time like this

If one loses their job, the way everything will collapse like a pack of cards wont be funny ooo.

It nice to have house (brand new car is a different thing sha... liability for me personally it a big No ) but everyone different so dont put pressure on yourself , baby steps are ok too . At least u till you have that ILR in your hand, till then going back is possible and althoughwe pray against it should be at the back of ones mind ...... With ILR even if you lose your job there is benefit as support self

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 12:27pm On Nov 09, 2020
EmmyKing86:
Good morning all.

Having said that, I want to say that it is highly impossible for anybody to come from Nigeria or any other 3rd world country and in less than 2 years OWN a house or a brand new 2019/20202021 car. If you noticed, I placed a huge emphasis on the word 'OWN'. If you take a mortgage to buy a house or you are making installmental payments for the brand new car you bought, I am sorry, you do not own those properties and you have plunged yourself into debt. It can take more than 30 years to clear these debts. If something happens and you are not able to make the payments, they would be re-possessed immediately.

On the ownership part, it is safe for him/her to say they own the house. If you have a mortgage it is generally viewed as home ownership. Same cannot necessarily be said of the car. You have made very valid points and for those viewing this thread and are new in the UK or planning to move, take your time and be careful. I will advise that except you can afford it ( and for me to afford means if you have spare cash that is way above what you paid for the car), go for a used car. You can get nearly new vehicles for a few thousand pounds cheaper than a new one. But if you can afford it, why not? We bought a nearly new car last year (19 plate) about 3k miles for about £10k lower than we would have paid for a new one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 12:30pm On Nov 09, 2020
EmmyKing86:
Good morning all.

Very valid points, to be commended to everyone for consideration.
The OP has done well, to be congratulated.
But we are Nigerians first, we come from a background where our parents took their first cars home to the village for libations, difficult to overcome the mindset.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.