Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (526) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302553 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 8:39am On Jan 18, 2021
famzynet:

If the statistics of Nigeria having more crime than the UK were true,it would have to do with lesser chances of catching criminals in Nigeria than in the UK. If UK were to be a country where people commit crime and easily get away with it,I think its crime rate will be much higher than Nigeria.
Also,most people who commit crimes in Nigeria come from broken homes or from homes with so many children that can't be taken care off so most of them end up being drop outs from schools and subsequently go into crime.

In addition,the general poor living standard and high unemployment rate in Nigeria despite individual efforts force some percentage of people in Nigeria into crime. Just picture having the UK people under the harsh economy condition of Nigeria and tell me if they won't have burned down the country. If there were jobs in Nigeria that can fetch everyone daily meals with some savings in pockets, and people get caught when crime is commited, the crime rate will be drastically reduced.

Compare the average teenager from Nigeria and that from the UK ,which of them have better manners ,respect and a sense of responsiblities?

Really most people who commit crime in Nigeria come from a broken home
Maybe you came from a different Nigeria from me.
Also wether you come from rich or poor home doesn’t determine if you’ll end up being a criminal or not... ... and the beating you parents have to u didn’t shape you into who you are ... you shaped yourself into who you are..

I’ve got friends with rich parents all in Abuja that indulge in illicit drugs and other criminality, I’ve also know people from poor homes that worked hard and changed the there family Futune.....
I personally was raised just by my dad (broken home in your words), yet I turned out good. So I don’t know where you got that information from..

Finally if you know beating children is ok, I dare you to do it in public grin
Let’s see how brave you are

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 8:41am On Jan 18, 2021
phyl123:

You are right to some extent. My dad never beat me and maybe once or twice in my life I got a whoop with my mum’s wooden spoon. Generally my parents talked to me when I got out of line and I felt so bad when I disappointed them. That disappointed look was enough for me and I understand that it doesn’t work for all kids.
Violently beating up a kid until you bruise them is not discipline, like you said some of those kid’s end up fighting their parents when to grow up and resentment sets in in some cases. There are so many ways by taking away what they cherish e.g tv, games, playing with friends, gifts , naughty steps. Parents that beat their kids have no patience and have a problem themselves.
Well said my brother... beating is not the key for discipline in today’s world especially overseas
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 8:52am On Jan 18, 2021
famzynet:

I disagree with you. Spare the rod and spoil the child said the wisest man that ever lived. As a child,I received correct flogging. It shaped me into whom I am today. I see better behaved children in Nigeria than in the UK.

My brother please what’s the name of the wiseman that said this?
Cuz I can’t see any wisdom in that statement..

Africans are the most religious continent in the world and yet the most wicked, and poorest.
If you want to use bible or Quran as your standard of living, then follow it judiciously not picking and choosing the verses and chapters that sound sweet to your ears. ....

If beating children was really effective then African kids would have been leading the world today

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:01am On Jan 18, 2021
For those of you who think beating is a good means of correction.
If an adult/ teenager offend you on your way to work this morning on the train/ tube or bus. You should bring out your cain or used stick to hit/ smack them for offending you ? ...
if you can’t beat/ smack an adult even when they offend you then you have no business beating a defenceless child

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 9:05am On Jan 18, 2021
wallg123:
For those of you who think beating is a good means of correction.
If an adult/ teenager offend you on your way to work this morning on the train/ tube or bus. You should bring out your cain or used stick to hit/ smack them for offending you ? ...
if you can’t beat/ smack an adult even when they offend you then you have no business beating a defenceless child

Gbam!! You took those words from my mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 9:28am On Jan 18, 2021
wallg123:

If beating children was really effective then African kids would have been leading the world today

Disclaimer: I’m not “attacking you”. Just sharing knowledge and hoping to learn too.

Africa’s predicament has nothing to do with this. Maybe a negligible amount. Hear me out.

This Africa you see is truly the raw material of the world. Europe, Asia and North America depend heavily on it. They will never let it go. They will never let it have the right leaders. The ones that go against them will get toppled or worst, killed.

Then there’s the IMF debt strategy and the so called aide and “poverty alleviation”. Look at China and it’s low-key moves in Africa right now. They wouldn’t even use local manpower. They’ll import their workers too.

Look at our school curriculum and the entire educational infrastructure. How are we to compete?

The greatest trick was making use believe it’s our fault all along. “You are corrupt and stupid” Blame yourself. Divert your attention from the fact that for every barrel of crude oil, we get very little proceeds back. Tons of raw materials leave the shores of Africa for shikini money. They need it that cheap.

Major industrialisation will not be allowed, least our eyes open and we realise the potential of what we have. A nation can only rise above and meet today’s standards through industrialisation. Manufacturing what they use.

Well look around Africa na. Unrest, dictatorship and famine. Nothing tangible is working. Shey wen you have constant electricity, water, housing and good healthcare system then you’ll diversify more?

Then enters mass brain drain for greener climes. Leaving Africa worst off.

They install your leaders. Why was Charly in the north at the height of political tension between GEJ and PMB? Yaradua’s death was a huge loss to us because that man wasn’t having it. That was quickly closed off with tensions between Niger delta and the north.

There’s money in chaos. Everyone is out to grab for himself. Get into naija politics and it’ll be well revealed. Nobody dey run anything. It’s money to share they’re all after.

It’s not our fault. There’s powers preventing us from rising above. For a minute, imagine this was naija here. You realllllllly think I’ll up and leave when my naira is the highest currency in the world?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Oma6090: 9:34am On Jan 18, 2021
Please I need assistance.
I just got married December 2020. I am currently studying in the UK. Started studying October but I came back to Nigeria for my wedding.
I will like my husband to apply and join me as soon as possible.
What are the steps to take in other not to make mistake?
please is there anybody that got married here whole studying and invited his or her spouse?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 9:49am On Jan 18, 2021
Olalekank:

You're asking why people are not taking COVID seriously but you didn't believe the virus being real until something changed?

No, I think you got the message wrongly. “Very Very” doesn’t mean i don’t know it’s real, it means it raises the bar to the highest, that’s why it has 2 VERY’s. The truth is the COVID is getting to a new height more like daily and there is a constant reminder from the views from my window.

If you go back to my post, you will see I have always wondered why people don’t believe it’s real, especially the guys here, cos it’s beyond reading news and all that, this one is right in your face. Anyhow sha, thats just the thought.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:57am On Jan 18, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

Most people that make this statement are greedy and selfish (generally not you Biko) .

Because what have Africans gained from this flogging and beating kids like drum.

We still experience killings, robbery, ritual killings, kidnapping, corruption and election violence.

African kids are very tamed every little thing they have inferiority complex some can't even think for themselves (I did not say everyone before someone will read my comment upside down).

Every child should be treated differently. Beating has not solved anything some Africans(Nigerians especially don't like take corrections is the beating that makes some behave like that?)

Some Nigerians they say the beating shaped their life small thing or misunderstanding Nigerians will start insulting your life because of a disagreement.

Is it the flogging that makes Africans behave like?

So many Parents have killed their children because of this Biblical verse.

Some Nigerian children have killed their parents because this religious verse.

Some Nigerian kids are so damaged that they will go to boarding house and start fighting and being violent.

Some people will applaud this behavior it's totally wrong.

Flogging has never helped. Pikin wey wan stubborn go stubborn just look for a way that will discipline the child effectively.

I have a sister who 18 years younger than me. When she was born my parents had retired from parenting...lol.... so there wasnt any harshness. My sister grew up with zero percent spanking, hardly any shout just constant nagging from all her siblings and parents if she out of line. So She has no experience of beating ...

now looking at her and me who had two different upbringing although in the same house but decades apart. we pretty much turned out the same ....although she had role models siblings in front of her who been molded . I am almost tempted to say maybe girl child is easier to mold without any form of beating .

Some boy child no dey hear word and can really test your limit ......this your last line about pickin when stubborn, apart from iron hand its is not easy to find alternative method that is effective

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 10:08am On Jan 18, 2021
Chreze:

No, I think you got the message wrongly. “Very Very” doesn’t mean i don’t know it’s real, it means it raises the bar to the highest, that’s why it has 2 VERY’s. The truth is the COVID is getting to a new height more like daily and there is a constant reminder from the views from my window.

If you go back to my post, you will see I have always wondered why people don’t believe it’s real, especially the guys here, cos it’s beyond reading news and all that, this one is right in your face. Anyhow sha, thats just the thought.
Thanks for the clarification.
Peace
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chreze(m): 10:21am On Jan 18, 2021
Inkredible:

Disclaimer: I’m not “attacking you”. Just sharing knowledge and hoping to learn too.

Africa’s predicament has nothing to do with this. Maybe a negligible amount. Hear me out.

This Africa you see is truly the raw material of the world. Europe, Asia and North America depend heavily on it. They will never let it go. They will never let it have the right leaders. The ones that go against them will get toppled or worst, killed.

Then there’s the IMF debt strategy and the so called aide and “poverty alleviation”. Look at China and it’s low-key moves in Africa right now. They wouldn’t even use local manpower. They’ll import their workers too.

Look at our school curriculum and the entire educational infrastructure. How are we to compete?

The greatest trick was making use believe it’s our fault all along. “You are corrupt and stupid” Blame yourself. Divert your attention from the fact that for every barrel of crude oil, we get very little proceeds back. Tons of raw materials leave the shores of Africa for shikini money. They need it that cheap.

Major industrialisation will not be allowed, least our eyes open and we realise the potential of what we have. A nation can only rise above and meet today’s standards through industrialisation. Manufacturing what they use.

Well look around Africa na. Unrest, dictatorship and famine. Nothing tangible is working. Shey wen you have constant electricity, water, housing and good healthcare system then you’ll diversify more?

They install your leaders. Why was Charly in the north at the height of political tension between GEJ and PMB? Yaradua’s death was a huge loss to us because that man wasn’t having it. That was quickly closed off with tensions between Niger delta and the north.

There’s money in chaos. Everyone is out to grab for himself. Get into naija politics and it’ll be well revealed. Nobody dey run anything. It’s money to share they’re all after.

It’s not our fault. There’s powers preventing us from rising above. For a minute, imagine this was naija here. You realllllllly think I’ll up and leave when my naira is the highest currency in the world?

Trust me bro, if you still believe our problem or challenges is caused by another (country or person) then you are listening to “them say”. Nigeria’s problem is Nigerians. Let me take you back to how things were in the old days. In a village, they combine resources (money n other stuff) to send a promising person in the village to school, he gets the knowledge and comes back to develop the village. A lot of communities in the past grew this way (I am sure some didn’t work out, but that’s not the point of the example). What I am saying or trying to say is that we need develop our self for the growth of our nation and not just the growth of ourself and family. Lately, the generation brewing is a selfish and self centered one. It’s all about ourself. I will tell you what is contributing to this selfish nature. It’s cos of constant comparison by Nigerian parents. We compare kids a lot and now they want to be the best alone and not collectively. No more group best, just single best. Let me even give you a funny example, before we use to have music groups, a lot of them, at some point it just changed to everybody solo. At the end of the day, I go sing one song, you go use the same beat sing your own, something wey we suppose de sing as group. But na me sing pass no go let me bring you in.

See eh, this Naija matter don de pain me since. Make I just stop here before I go go de take the thing personal.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 10:23am On Jan 18, 2021
Been reading all the post and counter post about spanking a child or not spanking.
As I said earlier, make your child your disciple. Discipline is teaching.
Stress and frustration from all the wahala in the world is what makes parent merciless flog their kids in the name of punishment.
I for example develop a speech impediment (stammer) which is still affecting till today cos I was terrified anytime my dad flog or about to flog me. I’ve forgiven him though as I know it is not his fault.
I don’t want my kid to ever go through the same.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 10:53am On Jan 18, 2021
Braket:

Thank you for these explanations.

But from what I understand,you don't get to do the valuation of the property until you have placed a bid and it has been offered.

The only way I have been checking the prices is by using the data gotten on Zoopla or right move coupled with ourproperty.co.uk.

Or I'm I mistaken?

It appears Home Report (valuation report) is not a mandatory/legal requirement in England. SMH.

Same with leasehold/freehold - leasehold is non-existent in Scotland but very widespread in England. SMH. Flat owners in Scotland hold freehold titles.

Its such disparity that makes me wonder why the Scots cannot just declare independence.

I don't understand why anyone will fork out money on a property without an independent survery done. No wonder, a lot of home buyers in England prefer new builds.

Best of luck and I hope you find your dream home soon smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 10:58am On Jan 18, 2021
Seriously SMH @ all those advocating smacking. Shouting too is a NO -NO as its termed emotional abuse.

Having a child removed by social services is one thing any parent should dread and do anything to avoid.

If a child is going down to 'unfavourable path' due to bad influences, friends, etc - send that child to boarding school in nigeria (there are many very good private catholic and non-catholic schools where smacking is prohibited). most children sent back to Nigeria tend to change their behaviour for better.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 11:11am On Jan 18, 2021
Inkredible:

My brother, you spoke well here, but the overarching point I must disagree with strongly - Nigeria's problem is NOT the west, much as we agree they meddle here and there. Our problem is ourselves, the system of government we have instituted and the way we allow it to play out and the deep corruption in which we allow our destroyers to happily indulge while applauding them.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 11:18am On Jan 18, 2021
Everything time I open this particular thread,

Na so so fight, nawa oo
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mimilyrics: 11:19am On Jan 18, 2021
I agree. My LO once said I was her teacher and that the goal was to grow up to be like me and that struck a chord in me. When I'm angry, I just keep quiet so that I don't bring a bomb to a gun fight. Most children become who/what they are by what obtains in the home. Most children also want to be heard and when it seems like their voice is being shut out, they either act out or withdraw to themselves.
Divine88:
Been reading all the post and counter post about spanking a child or not spanking.
As I said earlier, make your child your disciple. Discipline is teaching.
Stress and frustration from all the wahala in the world is what makes parent merciless flog their kids in the name of punishment.
I for example develop a speech impediment (stammer) which is still affecting till today cos I was terrified anytime my dad flog or about to flog me. I’ve forgiven him though as I know it is not his fault.
I don’t want my kid to ever go through the same.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 11:31am On Jan 18, 2021
Chreze:

Trust me bro, if you still believe our problem or challenges is caused by another (country or person) then you are listening to “them say”. Nigeria’s problem is Nigerians. Let me take you back to how things were in the old days. In a village, they combine resources (money n other stuff) to send a promising person in the village to school, he gets the knowledge and comes back to develop the village. A lot of communities in the past grew this way (I am sure some didn’t work out, but that’s not the point of the example). What I am saying or trying to say is that we need develop our self for the growth of our nation and not just the growth of ourself and family. Lately, the generation brewing is a selfish and self centered one. .

I do understand how easily one can get lost and get emotional with these discussions but hopefully it doesn’t get that hard on you.

I was gonna go way back in time with Africa as a whole in view. But for simplicity, I’ll keep it Nigerian niched. If you’ve noticed, this has gone way past parenting but on actual African underdevelopment.

Post colonial civil war showed the vested interests of these powers that wish to hold and exploit what Nigeria still has to offer. We clearly saw British, America and Frances hands in there. Not cause they were sympathetic with the onslaught of Nigerians by Nigerians (how dare they demand freedom. Let those savages kill each other for awhile) but of vested interests in the oil (shell, BP, Elf).

Then there was division after. A house divided against itself won’t prevail.

However, if we were left alone, do you think we’ll give two fks where the next man standing besides me in this huge oil refinery, Tech hub, Automobile company etc etc company, is from?

If we developed our society with everything working. Housing is easy to access, road, sea and air travels are easy and cheap. Credit so I get my own car. All these, like here won’t be a problem cause what is a car but a means of transportation.

Also, humans can be mean and wicked. So I won’t absolve the citizens somehow of having a hand in it as well but at the helm of things, there’s a disconnect and this has a profound effect on the common man. Push any animal to the corner and they’ll do anything to breakout.

Clear example of this is the IMF conditions of aide to Malawi at point in time. This condition insisted that the Malawian seed and grain reserves be sold off. Prompting the plunge into famine of the country and its citizens. Of course the IMF when called out denied it.

I’m in no way saying your beliefs are flawed, I’m just saying Africa would be better off without these meddlers. We as people also have a long way to recovery.

“We’re corrupt and selfish. We can’t ma manufacture our own vaccine. Take ours or die, we manufacture nothing” Yet, their installed puppet leaders will loot funds and bring them here to hide and they’ll keep mum about it.

Why not refuse it. Take the money back to Africa. Help your people you thief! Call them out and shame them but naaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Africa is where they want it to be. They won’t let go. If Africa unites and kicks against, they’ll come at it with everything they have.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 11:37am On Jan 18, 2021
starboychan:

Na so so fight, nawa oo

There’s no fight here. Not even an argument. Just an exchange of ideas.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2021
The exchange of ideas is usually confrontational to me.

Inkredible:

There’s no fight here. Not even an argument. Just an exchange of ideas.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2021
starboychan:

Na so so fight, nawa oo

There’s a big difference between a debate and a fight. Think of it more as express in a difference of opinions.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2021
starboychan:
The exchange of ideas is usually confrontational to me.

Dont you think exchange of ideas is good ?.... no man is an island especially living abroad..... There always a thing or two to learn differently.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 12:47pm On Jan 18, 2021
It's really good actually but tone is usually sounding as if it's an argument or a fight.

Maybe it's me sha, make una no vex oo

LagosismyHome:

Dont you think exchange of ideas is good ?.... no man is an island especially living abroad..... There always a thing or two to learn differently.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TrumpsWall: 1:02pm On Jan 18, 2021
You must be a 'Yes Sir' kinda guy wink

starboychan:
It's really good actually but tone is usually sounding as if it's an argument or a fight.

Maybe it's me sha, make una no vex oo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 2:03pm On Jan 18, 2021
TrumpsWall:

E be like say you want to start another “fight” grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hebraeem: 2:11pm On Jan 18, 2021
Hello, It has not reach that level, I believe we were both trying to clarify things. Oya, no vex abeg! And thank you for responding. I'm grateful. �
Aprokodaughter:

I never said you were prospective student I only said People do talk about the course on that platform.

Sorry I got involved with your issue.

I for just pass your question like other nairalanders.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2021
Hebraeem:
Hello, It has not reach that level, I believe we were both trying to clarify things. Oya, no vex abeg! And thank you for responding. I'm grateful. �

Reach what level? Please put me down.

Why I go vex for person wey I no no.

Next time learn how to talk or move on when you have gotten your answers instead of saying I don't understand your question or you're not a prospective student.

That's rude and disrespectful.

Some of you come here and act like you are chatting with a robot.

We are all here to help ourselves nobody knows it all. I was only trying to connect you with people in your field.

Anyway I don learn my lesson.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 2:56pm On Jan 18, 2021
starboychan:

Na so so fight, nawa oo

We love each other here so we do not fight here, we debate. The only problem is that we do not want to live and let live. We just always want the other party agree to our point of view.

Anyways lockdown dey, some of us are bored. We enjoy the back and forth.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by starboychan: 3:10pm On Jan 18, 2021
It's actually good , I have learnt a lots from the debates which will really help me later in UK as I will traveling soon for my studies.

deept:

We love each other here so we do not fight here, we debate. The only problem is that we do not want to live and let live. We just always want the other party agree to our point of view.

Anyways lockdown dey, some of us are bored. We enjoy the back and forth.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 3:15pm On Jan 18, 2021
Aprokodaughter:

Reach what level? Please put me down.

Why I go vex for person wey I no no.

Next time learn how to talk or move on when you have gotten your answers instead of saying I don't understand your question or you're not a prospective student.

That's rude and disrespectful.

Some of you come here and act like you are chatting with a robot.

We are all here to help ourselves nobody knows it all. I was only trying to connect you with people in your field.

Anyway I don learn my lesson.

Smh undecided

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by phyl123: 3:20pm On Jan 18, 2021
TrumpsWall:

This is the reason for part of our debate. grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 18, 2021
icon8:

Smh undecided

Smh undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (523) (524) (525) (526) (527) (528) (529) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.