Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,643 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (557) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1304108 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by giselle237: 7:44am On Feb 21, 2021
Captaincool1:
BOOKING IELTS B1 WITH THE BRISTISH COUNCIL SITE AND ON THIS SITE (IDP)
https://www.ielts.com/ ARE THEY THE SAME?
They offer the same test which is IELTS, academic, general and ukvi versions but they are two very different organizations.

British Council and MOD(IDP)
I also see that despite the warnings of your fellow countrymen you refused to heed word. It is my prayer that things don’t get too sour for you and that you are able to run out before it is too late. This is however unlikely.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 8:49am On Feb 21, 2021
Iyanu6000:
Good Evening,

I was told i can apply to schools, pay part of the fees and work to pay for the balance.

How true is this? i am trying to apply for a masters...will i get a job that would be sufficient for me to pay for my fees and my upkeep?

Regards

my dear dont be discouraged!!!

1. ) Research the school. some schools Tuition are around £9000-11,000
I will advice u to follow the UK STUDENT TREAD ON NAIRALAND.COM for u to have more info on cheapest uni.

https://www.nairaland.com/6331164/uk-student-visa-tier-4

2.) Make sure you have at least 50% ( £5000 around N3m) of ur tuition and pay. Some uni ask for £1,000 -£3,000 deposit. but just make sure u have at least 50% .

3) Put the tuition balance (that is, the remaining 50% around N3m) in your account +plus ur MAINTENANCE fund ( (£9,135 about N4.5m =7.5m)

4) Print ur statement Statement at 28days and apply.

let me advice you.. to Search for Universities that have offices in Nigeria like:
SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY
LEED BECKETT UNIVERSITY
SUNDERLAND UNIVERSITY and many more .
contact them, attend their seminar and ask any questions.
u dont need an agent if u re a smart type...

To ur question:
ofcourse you can pay your balance while working as student if u re not lazy.

I hope this message change ur destiny for good. welcome to the UK darling.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 9:14am On Feb 21, 2021
PtBlank:
Hello guys,

Does this ruling against Uber mean students can now drive Uber since the drivers are to be considered employees rather than self employed?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56123668

Let ma tell u what its required of u to drive uber.

1) A good car at least £2000-£5000
2) u need to have FULL UK Driver license for at least one year.

Ok- now, how can u get a full UK DRIVER license:
For you to qualify to Apply for a UK-FULL Driver license:
*You need a UK- Provisional Driver License ( learners Permit).

(Dont ever think u can drive Uber with your Nigeria or International Driver license, which u can use to drive around if u buy a car -for one year In UK starting from the day u enter UK)

* Meanwhile, UK Provisional Driver Licence is a LEARNER Licence which valid for around 25years.
You cant drive alone with it. u need someone with FULL- UK Driver license to be by your side while driving according to the UK law. if u fail to comply with this, God forbid if accident happened ur Insurance would not cover u and ur Visa/Status can be revoked.

* After u secured the PROVISIONAL DRIVER LICENSE for
u need to book / Schedule a Driver test at:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test
(it has been suspended due to COVID19)

* After u pass ur driving test then u can apply for a FULL UK Driver license. dont think if u re a perfect/expert driver in Nigeria and that should give u boldness that will pass a UK Driver Test...Error!!! its advisable for u to book a driving training for at least 3 days or 5 days its around £100
for u to know the Driving codes and ethics remember it RIGHT HAND driving and their road is so small...

your question:
It's not easy for students or their Dependent to drive an Uber in UK. it could takes u up to 1.5 years or more.

Meanwhile u can do Uber Food delivery (JUST EAT) with car ( with ur international Driver Licence) or Bike or bicycle.
u can even get a car at £300-500 and start ur uber eat deliveries and make money like Uber/Taxi Driving.

as a foreign student and new driver car insurance can cost u around £150 per month. with either ur Professional Licence or International Driver license.
Cheers grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 9:43am On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

Let ma tell u what its required of u to drive uber.

1) A good car at least £2000-£5000
2) u need to have FULL UK Driver license for ag least one year.

Ok- now, how can u get a full UK DRIVER license:

For you to Apply for a UK-FULL Driver license:
*You need a UK- Provisional Driver License.

(Dont ever think u can drive Uber with your Nigeria-International Driver license, which u can use to drive for one year I UK starting from the day u enter UK)

* Meanwhile, UK Provisional Driver Licence is a LEARNER Licence which valid for around 25years.
You can drive alone with it. u need someone with UK Full Driver license to drive with it according to the UK law.

* After u secured the PROVISIONAL DRIVER LICENSE
u need to book a Driver test at:
https://www.gov.uk/driving-test
(it has been suspended due to COVID19)

* After u pass ur driving test then u can apply for a FULL UK Driver license. dont think uf u re a perfect driver in Nigeria that should give u boldness that will pass a UK Driver Test...Error!!! its advisable for u to book a driving training for at least 3 days or 5 days ag around £100
for u to know the Driver codes. remember it RIGHT HAND driving and their road is so small...

your question:
It's not easy for students or their Dependent to drive an Uber in UK. it could takes u up to 1.5 years or more.

Meanwhile u can do Uber Food delivery (JUST EAT) with car ( with ur international Driver Licence) or Bike or bicycle.
u can even get a car at £300-500 and start ur uber eat deliveries and make money like Uber/Taxi Driving.

as a foreign student and new driver car insurance can cost u around £150 per month. with either ur Professional Licence or International Driver license.

Home this helps everyone!
Cheers grin

UberEats.
Tier-4 student.

Delivery drivers who use personal cars for Über eats, Deliveroo are classified as Self-employed, No?

The UK Supreme Court judgment concerned Uber Taxi services not Uber eats No?

Tier-4 students are not allowed to be self-employed No?

To use your personal car for delivery services you are required to declare this for insurance purposes, No? This translates to higher premium No?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:46am On Feb 21, 2021
Iyanu6000:
Good Evening,

I was told i can apply to schools, pay part of the fees and work to pay for the balance.

How true is this? i am trying to apply for a masters...will i get a job that would be sufficient for me to pay for my fees and my upkeep?

Regards

I wouldn’t encourage you to take this step because chances are that you will fail to pull through even with 50% school fees paid and this is why..

If your school fees is £10k for example and you paid £5K, the school will likely give you 3months to pay up the balance , so you have Sep to Dec to come up with that money.

Working 20hrs a week from Sep to Dec if you are lucky to get a job that quick will not give you £5K savings, even if the school gave you 4months to pay up and you are earning £10-11 per hour and saved every penny you earned without paying rent, bills, food and transportation.

To pay up that balance within 3-4 months you need to be earning at least £1500 monthly and live on a very tight budget.

If you can’t pay then financial documents you submitted during your visa application will be questioned
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Captaincool1(m): 11:12am On Feb 21, 2021
giselle237:

They offer the same test which is IELTS, academic, general and ukvi versions but they are two very different organizations.

British Council and MOD(IDP)
I also see that despite the warnings of your fellow countrymen you refused to heed word. It is my prayer that things don’t get too sour for you and that you are able to run out before it is too late. This is however unlikely.

Concerning the warning i have been clarified already and have done my internal findings both within and outside thanks for your concern. I don't know how to interact on NL. JUST LEARNING
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 12:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
Captaincool1:

Concerning the warning i have been clarified already and have done my internal findings both within and outside thanks for your concern. I don't know how to interact on NL. JUST LEARNING

Do you mind sharing the result of your finding?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 12:38pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

my dear dont be discouraged!!!

1. ) Research the school. some schools Tuition are around £9000-11,000
I will advice u to follow the UK STUDENT TREAD ON NAIRALAND.COM for u to have more info on cheapest uni.

https://www.nairaland.com/6331164/uk-student-visa-tier-4

2.) Make sure you have at least 50% ( £5000 around N3m) of ur tuition and pay. Some uni ask for £1,000 -£3,000 deposit. but just make sure u have UK to 50% .

3) Put the tuition balance (that's the remaining 50% around N3m) in your account +plus ur MAINTENANCE fund ( (£9,135 about N4.5m =7.5m)

4) Print ur statement Statement at 28days and apply.

let me advice you... Search for Universities that have offices in Nigeria like:
SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY
LEED BECKETT UNIVERSITY
SUNDERLAND UNIVERSITY

and so on. contact them, go to their seminar and ask any questions.
u dont need an agent if u re a smart type...

To ur question:
ofcourse you can pay your balance while working as student if u re not lazy.

I hope this message change ur destiny for good. welcome to UK darling.

Lazy?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 1:16pm On Feb 21, 2021
justwise:

I wouldn’t encourage you to take this step because chances are that you will fail to pull through even with 50% school fees paid and this is why..

If your school fees is £10k for example and you paid £5K, the school will likely give you 3months to pay up the balance , so you have Sep to Dec to come up with that money.

Working 20hrs a week from Sep to Dec if you are lucky to get a job that quick will not give you £5K savings, even if the school gave you 4months to pay up and you are earning £10-11 per hour and saved every penny you earned without paying rent, bills, food and transportation.

To pay up that balance within 3-4 months you need to be earning at least £1500 monthly and live on a very tight budget.

If you can’t pay then financial documents you submitted during your visa application will be questioned

who told u these Grammar u are blowing that school gives 3 months to balance. are u even in UK?
to answer that question u most have similar experience or witness it.

dont discourage her.
let her achieve her dream.
u only need to balance the remaining 50% before season ends not 3months.
if u resume January u need to balance by August end b4 another season start by September.
una no go apply to better sch and city grin

Take a bold step my dear and pursue ur dream. even Nigerians abroad are full of discouragement and selfishness. u will understand when u re here.
be determined. and God help you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Efound3: 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2021
RalphJean:

UberEats.
Tier-4 student.

Delivery drivers who use personal cars for Über eats, Deliveroo are classified as Self-employed, No?

The UK Supreme Court judgment concerned Uber Taxi services not Uber eats No?

Tier-4 students are not allowed to be self-employed No?

To use your personal car for delivery services you are required to declare this for insurance purposes, No? This translates to higher premium No?

who told that tier4 student cant be self employed.
students on 2 year Master course with PLACEMENT year nko?

I know how many people University themselves don sponsor for self employed I dont want to mention.

Dont know why we black people are full of discouragement.

u will always look for a way to tackle and find fault not to appreciate a good idea.

oversabi
seat down there they blow Grammar
come here and see how hussle guys dey make money day and night.
u dey talk about declare to insurance.
insurance that eat atleast £150 every month of ur income.
Nigerian too dey makenoise and oversabi

even big men for Lagos use their nice ride carry passengers going home after closing at night. and u cant believe that next day seeing their tie 4 neck
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by FraudMan: 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2021
*Grabs Popcorn* grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Josh121(m): 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2021
FraudMan:
*Grabs Popcorn* grin

���
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

[s]I know how many people University themselves don sponsor for self employed I dont want to mention.[/s] Iies

u will always look for a way to tackle and find fault not to appreciate a good idea.

oversabi
[s]insurance that eat atleast £150 every month of ur income. [/s]

even big men for Lagos use their nice ride carry passengers going home after closing at night. and u cant believe that next day seeing their tie 4 neck

What are you even saying

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
umarwy:

Learn how to sew

Learn how to barb

Learn how to meet people

Learn how to cook

Learn how to budget ( Google sheets has a wonderful monthly expense planer template)

Learn time management (use your phone's calendar)

Learn how to prioritize

Learn how to research (Google, forums, uni student advice etc)

Learn how to drive (car/okada/bicycle)

Learn how to ask questions ( ask a lot of questions )

And most importantly learn how to learn.

And the award for the Most Useful Advice goes to.... *inserts standing ovation*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
*Grabs bench*

No discouragement me!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

I know how many people University themselves don sponsor for self employed I dont want to mention.

u a will always look for a way to tackle and find fault not to appreciate a good idea.

You are a very interesting person. I’ve been reading your comments, and I initially thought to hold my tongue (abi fingers), but you’ve gone a bit too far.

It’s ok if you want to encourage people. Please do. But don’t stop others from sounding warnings to the person. Your own is to give your advice, then leave others to give theirs.

Btw, you’re right, nothing stops a student from being self employed. I was self employed in uni, but under an umbrella company. If a student wants to then be self employed on their own, that’s risky, however, I like experience being the best teacher. Just so you know, Your bank can call up anytime and ask for company papers and tax docs. Then you’re exposing yourself as a student to HMRC. But what do we know, you know pass us.

About paying 50% then coming to study in the UK. I had a friend who did this. He worked every damn day. He still couldn’t come up with the money to complete his fees which I ended up lending him a huge amount, then he paid back. What if your friend doesn’t have someone to lend them?

But please ignore us, we are the busy bodies that are discouraging others.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

who told u these Grammar u are blowing that school gives 3 months to balance. are u even in UK?
to answer that question u most have similar experience or witness it.

dont discourage her.
let her achieve her dream.
u only need to balance the remaining 50% before season ends not 3months.
if u resume January u need to balance by August end b4 another season start by September.
una no go apply to better sch and city grin

Take a bold step my dear and pursue ur dream. even Nigerians abroad are full of discouragement and selfishness. u will understand when u re here.
be determined. and God help you

Yes i'm in the UK and yes i'm familiar with the system and i did it under a different visa rules and condition.

I don't think you have a clue though considering the fact that you called workplace self employment even as many work placement pays little or nothing.

I don't know any school that will give you almost a year to pay up school fees even when you submitted bank statement during your visa application that shows that you have all the money.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:27pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

oversabi

That is self employment?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2021
Josh121:

���

Because the JJC is now forming with the Moderator of this thread and of the same one he is quoting; the student visa thread on nairaland.

And he comes straight out with accusations of discouragement to people that have read and seen a lot... He even accused Justwise of not being in the UK.

The worst part is talking about people perhaps not making it because they might be lazy...

So his big idea is to look for cheap course (ok!); Nothing to wrong with that but is it about cheap courses or actually gaining a qualification that can justify the amount spent and provide good employment and future?

The only good thing I read is his advise to use universities with offices in Nigeria and to avoid agents...

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
You might probably need to understand the difference between being Self-employed and on placement

Efound3:

oversabi

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 2:48pm On Feb 21, 2021
It can't be termed self-employed once you go through the Umbrella company route

Aphrodite007:

You are a very interesting person. I’ve been reading your comments, and I initially thought to hold my tongue (abi fingers), but you’ve gone a bit too far.

It’s ok if you want to encourage people. Please do. But don’t stop others from sounding warnings to the person. Your own is to give your advice, then leave others to give theirs.

Btw, you’re right, nothing stops a student from being self employed. I was self employed in uni, but under an umbrella company. If a student wants to then be self employed on their own, that’s risky, however, I like experience being the best teacher. Just so you know, Your bank can call up anytime and ask for company papers and tax docs. Then you’re exposing yourself as a student to HMRC. But what do we know, you know pass us.

About paying 50% then coming to study in the UK. I had a friend who did this. He worked every damn day. He still couldn’t come up with the money to complete his fees which I ended up lending him a huge amount, then he paid back. What if your friend doesn’t have someone to lend them?

But please ignore us, we are the busy bodies that are discouraging others.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2021
Bourne007:
It can't be termed self-employed once you go through the Umbrella company route

It’s self employment but inside IR35.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2021
grin grin grin I don hear cool

Aphrodite007:

It’s self employment but inside IR35.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 3:11pm On Feb 21, 2021
Efound3:

oversabi

My problem is not with these kind of characters.
My problem is with the moderator of this thread. I no go name names. Because if I reply this kind of character as e dey do me, Na so so 3-week ban I go chop.

If I describe this character as the surname of a former INEC chairman (2007 elections, Prof. Maurice I), and I substitute the ‘I’ with an ‘E’... I fit chop ban.

So, for now, let me ququ grab popcorn.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olumanja: 3:23pm On Feb 21, 2021
Good afternoon all, What happens after paying for visa and ihs fees, are there other fees to pay before doing biometrics?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 4:03pm On Feb 21, 2021
olumanja:
Good afternoon all, What happens after paying for visa and ihs fees, are there other fees to pay before doing biometrics?

This depends on:
What visa route are you applying for?
Is it an in-country or outside application?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kingp91: 5:18pm On Feb 21, 2021
Which is ?
Aphrodite007:

I can’t say for sure if your international cert added to your employability here in the UK, but one thing I’m sure of it certainly didn’t add to mine. UK employers are quite snobby. I have the highest level of international qualifications in my field but all my employer talks about is my lowest one (because it is from the BCS). Like they see that one as “wow!” grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 6:49pm On Feb 21, 2021
justwise:

Yes i'm in the UK and yes i'm familiar with the system and i did it under a different visa rules and condition.

I don't know any school that will give you almost a year to pay up school fees even when you submitted bank statement during your visa application that shows that you have all the money.

Schools are actually evolving now. Glasgow Caledonian Uni now offers 8 months payment plan for International students!! I am sure other schools would soon copy this business model.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 8:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
Pop corn time. grin grin grin grin grin

Movie will start after commercial break grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2021
Kingp91:
Which is ?

Any BCS certification is welcomed in the UK. Mine is in my field. Your field may be different from mine so I can’t tell you what mine is.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2021
olumanja:

I like you, you have plenty money. After spending on visa and ihs, you still want to spend. Please do give away for us.

The answer will depend on the visa. If you’re in Nigeria, you’ll pay your flight and anointing oil for prayers. If in UK, no shaking.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 8:26pm On Feb 21, 2021
marylandcakes:
Pop corn time. grin grin grin grin grin

Movie will start after commercial break grin grin grin grin

You came late. I was seeing it with my koro-koro eyes. My own is, who will now do the sweeping?

(1) (2) (3) ... (554) (555) (556) (557) (558) (559) (560) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.