Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,735 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (561) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302165 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:05pm On Feb 27, 2021
omopapa:
Why u no tag me sad

Sorry sir
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 10:06pm On Feb 27, 2021
Denikki:
Please I need naira for pounds. Anyone?

@omopapa
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 1:29am On Feb 28, 2021
How much do u need sir

Denikki:
Please I need naira for pounds. Anyone?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wiselong: 10:05am On Feb 28, 2021
Good Morning UK Family,

Please how can one build a good credit score as a new resident in the UK?

Also, how can one save on the monthly utility bill

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Denikki: 11:02am On Feb 28, 2021
omopapa:
How much do u need sir

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:01pm On Feb 28, 2021
wiselong:
Good Morning UK Family,

Thank you

The best way to save on utility bills......... When you leave the bathroom, room, kitchen etc etc.... Turn off the lights behind you........

When you pass urine, don't flush....... When you do a number 2, flush........ When it is brown, let it mellow... When it is yellow, let flow..... cheesy

When stepping out, turn off all sockets and lights..... When it's cold, never turn on the heater (just use duvet, jacket, Longjohn and blanket)..........

When you want to have a bath, only use one bucket of water, use disposable plates and cups......

You get the flow now........ grin

About CS, name on voters list, get a contract mobile phone, pay your bills on time etc etc

Don't apply for debt cards, just yet........

I hope my wise words, are long enough.......... tongue

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2021
Lexusgs430:

The best way to save on utility bills......... When you leave the bathroom, room, kitchen etc etc.... Turn off the lights behind you........

When you pass urine, don't flush....... When you do a number 2, flush........ When it is brown, let it mellow... When it is yellow, let flow..... cheesy

When stepping out, turn off all sockets and lights..... When it's cold, never turn on the heater (just use duvet, jacket, Longjohn and blanket)..........

When you want to have a bath, only use one bucket of water, use disposable plates and cups......

About CS, name on voters list, get a contract mobile phone, pay your bills on time etc etc

Jesus grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by quivah(f): 2:30pm On Feb 28, 2021
RalphJean:

press the back button of the browser, enter the other name beginning with G.

if it still pops up the same message, then repeat, this time around using the other G

repeat until you have tried all 3 names.
Same thing sad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 3:07pm On Feb 28, 2021
wiselong:
Good Morning UK Family,

Thank you

Register on the electoral roll with your local council, it's free. Apply for Capital One or Vanquis credit cards, use and pay every month. These companies literally dole out credit cards to everyone, you will be asked to send a copy of your passport and proof of address. I used them in 2010 as a student to obtain my first credit card. You will pay no interest as long as you spend and pay on time every month. However, the day you default or owe them, they will turn you life into an absolute nightmare and might end up ruining you credit file for years.

To save on monthly utility bill is nigh on impossible. It's normal for you to use more energy in winter and less in summer. You might be able to save a bit if you do your research and choose a supplier with low tariffs. If you have a family, just budget £100 minimum a month for energy and forget it there.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Samopex05: 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2021
Quick one guys: Can i use a “Mrs” with a maiden name?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 4:03pm On Feb 28, 2021
Samopex05:
Quick one guys: Can i use a “Mrs” with a maiden name?

I would use Ms

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Samopex05: 4:20pm On Feb 28, 2021
RalphJean:

I would use Ms

Okay. I asked this because in my uni admission offer I was referred to as Mrs.

I just wanna know if I should stick to it or email them that I prefer to be addressed as Ms. in future documents.

Does it matter?

Ps: I am married and I have my marriage certificate.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wiselong: 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2021
Lol, thank you Baba Lexus..
Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chinlov: 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2021
Hello mama tukwas I'm trying to reach you to send something to Nigeria. Kindly assist
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wiselong: 5:19pm On Feb 28, 2021
Many Thanks! I appreciate.
claremont:

Register on the electoral roll with your local council, it's free. Apply for Capital One or Vanquis credit cards, use and pay every month. These companies literally dole out credit cards to everyone, you will be asked to send a copy of your passport and proof of address. I used them in 2010 as a student to obtain my first credit card. You will pay no interest as long as you spend and pay on time every month. However, the day you default or owe them, they will turn you life into an absolute nightmare and might end up ruining you credit file for years.

To save on monthly utility bill is nigh on impossible. It's normal for you to use more energy in winter and less in summer. You might be able to save a bit if you do your research and choose a supplier with low tariffs. If you have a family, just budget £100 minimum a month for energy and forget it there.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jesudaughter(f): 6:43pm On Feb 28, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:34pm On Feb 28, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Jesus grin

The NHS is always available to treat post utilities savings acquired phemonia/hyperthermia......... FREE........ tongue

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tolajay: 11:15pm On Feb 28, 2021
Please, can anyone help me make a payment of 140 quid on NMC UK's website while I pay the Naira equivalent?

My USD MasterCard hasn't been successful.

I will send you the log in details to the account so you can process the payment from your end.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sweetjusty(f): 11:18pm On Feb 28, 2021
zeb04:

you can go on indeed or IVFNET to look for job vacancies. those are the 2 main places i went .

I don’t really know how to use this app very well. Thanks a lot. Would i be needing any extra certificates? Is IELTS compulsory before eligibility? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sweetjusty(f): 11:20pm On Feb 28, 2021
DisGuy:

Spot on

@sweetjusty

If you think 25k starting is small for you, look for the market rate elsewhere or try USA,Canada or Australia

No, i was asking my own question under someone’s else post. I am not very familiar with this app yet. I don’t know how to type my own questions not having to share another. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Sweetjusty(f): 11:23pm On Feb 28, 2021
chrisj2:

Even the original poster deserves a rebuke! Instead of asking how he could manage on £25000 with a family. He is telling us that the money is not enough. How is that really relevant?

If the money is not enough, then don't take the job. As for the mention of underselling oneself, what has that got to do with it? They offer you a job with a particular salary - you either take it or leave or if brave or stupid, you can ask for more money... In a situation where you are starting as a junior embryologist and let them know that it is only money you are interested in.

What is the average salary of an embryologist - take the top ones and the new starters - it is not more than £35000...

People need to word their questions better - simples!

Please kindly take it easy. I am not familiar with this app yet. I am an embryologist seeking for a job outside Nigeria so i was asking @zeb04 how he successfully got on with his.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:56pm On Feb 28, 2021
tolajay:
Please, can anyone help me make a payment of 140 quid on NMC UK's website while I pay the Naira equivalent?

My USD MasterCard hasn't been successful.

I will send you the log in details to the account so you can process the payment from your end.

Thanks in anticipation.

Send me a WA message.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Promkene24: 7:49am On Mar 01, 2021
Anyone living in Preston UK please? I am a student and will be arriving the UK soon with no one to welcome me or shelter me for a little while before i know my way about.Please can anyone help me out as i am without further options or help..� thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:31am On Mar 01, 2021
Promkene24:
Anyone living in Preston UK please? I am a student and will be arriving the UK soon with no one to welcome me or shelter me for a little while before i know my way about.Please can anyone help me out as i am without further options or help..� thanks

Better not make that trip, if you have not cemented/confirmed adequate accommodation......

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 9:46am On Mar 01, 2021
Promkene24:

These days people are forced to be self sufficient and using tools such as the Internet to make it easier ...... start trying to sort yourself out with the mindset that you are on your own ooo.lol. if you see great but if you don't see las las you be OK

Loads of students worldwide start schooling without knowing anyone. Use the Internet and find bnb or accommodation

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:17am On Mar 01, 2021
Promkene24:

If you have that money you submitted during your visa application then you shouldn’t have any problem sorting out accommodation, your school has student accommodation, you can rent from private landlords, you can book 2-3days hotel accommodation while you get your own place. You can also use facebook groups to get shared accommodation in your post code.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2021
To the poster that quoted me above: you should just formulate your own question and direct it to Zeb and all those that might know or can help.

That is the best way to get good results. By quoting me, you have wasted bandwidth and diluted your message with my own...

And to let you know; you can cut the part or parts of the post you are quoting, so that it is only the relevant part or parts that show... I am easy and this is a sincere advice.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mercyp001(f): 7:32pm On Mar 01, 2021
mercyp001:
Good morning my good people. How are you doing over there? Pls, I know someone who is a Telecommunication Engineer and want to try his luck In UK job market. pls, how is telecom job in UK? Is it in hot demand? Looking forward to responses. Thanks.
NB: any telecom certifications that can add more value to him?
abegiii, who is attending to me on this .
I am still waiting. thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2021
mercyp001:

abegiii, who is attending to me on this .
I am still waiting. thanks.

Tell r to he person to visit any of these sites:
Www.indeed.com
Www.total jobs.com
www.Reed.com

And any of the sites listed here before.

Let the person check the requirements abs see how they stack up and meet the requirements.

For example:

https://uk.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Telecom+Engineer
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chinlov: 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2021
Pls how do I get in touch with the lady that helps with cargo. I think mama tukwas
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by adebayoz001: 9:46pm On Mar 01, 2021
Hello o Everybody,

Please I need some advice regarding my situation as this Covid has ruined some stuff.

So I’m planning on applying for British naturalisation but my Nigerian passport (Now expired) and my BRP is in my previous last name. All my other documents are in my new last name. I got the name change via a deed poll.

I would obviously want the British passport to be in my new name but I was told that I would need to change the name on my Nigerian passport in order for my naturalisation certificate to be issued in the new name.

The problem now is Nigerian embassy is closed until further notice (May God help Us) and even if it’s open, I read on their website that they don’t accept deed poll as a change of name document.

Another issue is I might be changing job soon and my passport is expired but BRP is still valid. I don’t know how to go about the renewing the Nigerian passport.

I don’t know of any Nigerian lawyer that can advise me about this. Biko, any advice is welcome. Is there another document I could provide to the Home office as a proof for change of name when applying for the naturalisation and what do you Bosses suggest I do about renewing my passport.

This wahala too much, thanks in advance.

cc
Lexusgs430
LagosismyHome
RalphJean
dustydee
Aphrodite007
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:19pm On Mar 01, 2021
adebayoz001:
Hello o Everybody,

Please I need some advice regarding my situation as this Covid has ruined some stuff.

So I’m planning on applying for British naturalisation but my Nigerian passport (Now expired) and my BRP is in my previous last name. All my other documents are in my new last name. I got the name change via a deed poll.

I would obviously want the British passport to be in my new name but I was told that I would need to change the name on my Nigerian passport in order for my naturalisation certificate to be issued in the new name.

The problem now is Nigerian embassy is closed until further notice (May God help Us) and even if it’s open, I read on their website that they don’t accept deed poll as a change of name document.

Another issue is I might be changing job soon and my passport is expired but BRP is still valid. I don’t know how to go about the renewing the Nigerian passport.

I don’t know of any Nigerian lawyer that can advise me about this. Biko, any advice is welcome. Is there another document I could provide to the Home office as a proof for change of name when applying for the naturalisation and what do you Bosses suggest I do about renewing my passport.

This wahala too much, thanks in advance.

cc
Lexusgs430
LagosismyHome
RalphJean
dustydee
Aphrodite007

No I don't think this information is correct, except if thisnow a new rule .... I was in a similar situation, although mine was 9 years ago. When I wanted to naturalise I wanted my married name and also I dropped my birth middle name and swapped it for my maiden name

All I needed was deed poll and the British form .... my naija passport never came into factor. The naija passport is still in my maiden name so my two passports have different names and I travel with it like that all these years.... One day when I have power for naija embassy stress I look into what it takes to change the name

(1) (2) (3) ... (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.