Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (575) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302468 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 2:55pm On Mar 17, 2021
djo120920:

Thank you for your response.

I am open to suggestions at the moment.

I did Mass Comm at both BA and MA level.
So I think English is the most obviously logical option.

However, I would actually love to teach Mathematics, as I believe I'm quite good in it. Had A1 in Maths in WAEC, NECO, and GCE. But I don't know if my degrees will not shut the door on that.

Primary? Secondary? Anyone is good for me.

Thank you again
Based on your degree, I think English is the best option for you.
You stand a better chance at secondary than primary level
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by djo120920: 3:23pm On Mar 17, 2021
STENON:
Based on your degree, I think English is the best option for you.
You stand a better chance at secondary than primary level

Thank you dear STENON.

I will take your suggestion. But I fear the market will be oversaturated with English teachers. What do you think? And what are the chances of gaining a job (leading to Tier 2 visa and ultimately ILR) with the QTS award?

My initial plan was to come study MSc Social Research and then go on to conduct academic research at the PhD level. I already got admission for that. But I also love teaching, especially in the classroom. And someone mooted the idea of the QTS to me. I'm about to start applying for that. Can you point me towards some universities that offer PGCE with QTS? I've seen a couple, like Reading, Coventry, and Kingston. I'd like to see if there are others as well.

Thank you again
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 3:43pm On Mar 17, 2021
nihilistjnr:

The bolded is a weak argument, because the UK does not practice Jus Soli. There are many children born to non-naturalised immigrants here who have never been to their parents countries and dont have their passports. That still doesnt give them the right to stay here.

The only argument that you have is that Shemima was born to Bengali parents who acquired a British Passport - and Ijust as it was given, it can be taken away. I admit that a white british terrorist of a single nationality has to be let back in, but I guess that's the privilege of being from here. Na their right be that

Shemima's parents came to the UK, they were not born here. They chose to leave their own mostly muslim country and applied to live with the British and to become British. They agreed to abide by the rules and probably spent at least 10 years convincing the British that they could abide by the laws of the land. The British then awarded them the privilege of citizenship...and it's a privilege not a right because the Begums had to earn it. They literally had to stand up in front of the Queen's picture and swear allegiance to her

So if Shemima decides to leave the UK and return to a Muslim caliphate, it is entirely her prerogative. If she chooses to to pledge allegiance to a known enemy of the UK, it is her right to do so. But it is not her right to retain the citizenship that the country she hates gifted to her parents.
And the British have the right to withdraw their citizenship from immigrants who have betrayed that gift.

To argue otherwise as a Nigerian immigrant who knows why they came to the UK is unnecessary wokeness, and an insult to the millions of us looking for any opportunity to japa from Nigeria.

If a white-looking person says this, we will all be up in arms screaming racism. Alas, “we” seem to be our own worst enemies.

Your post has no basis in law, just so you know. A child born on British soil to a settled parent is an automatic British citizen. As British as it gets. No matter where the parent came from, once they attain settled status, any child born of them afterwards is a British citizen at birth. That’s the law!

I’m not one to play the race card, but this case reeks of racism and islamophobia, and sets a very dangerous precedent like others have rightly suggested. It’s that Jihad-loving girl today but it could be anyone’s child tomorrow, for a far less crime. If the colour of her skin were to be white, she would have been treated differently. For the avoidance of doubt, I denounce her and her association with the so-called Islamic State, but she’s British and should have been brought back home and tried in a British court, under British law, and sent to a British jail if found guilty. Not passed on to her parent’s birth country that she never had any connection to.

By your logic, because the PM’s father is Turkish (although born in the UK), the Johnson family should be sent to Turkey if they commit a crime, because according to you, the father’s father was not born here, they applied to live here blah blah blah, and are therefore second class British citizens. But you wouldn’t say that, would you? Why because they look white to you and the grandfather was clever to have changed his name from Osman Kemal to Wilfred Johnson. If the girl's name were to be Sharon Bellingham instead of Shemima Begum, you all will be singing a different tune.

Some of you are just full of inferiority complex and believe the white skin is superior to yours. As for me, my children are not second class to nobody in this land (and they know that!). I may be second class, I understand that, and that’s fine because I’m a bloody immigrant. But my children and their children? No way! I’ve paid that price for them. Everyone’s parents came from somewhere, and it doesn’t matter how long ago. Even the Queen’s family came from Germany and changed their name to Windsor to sound British somewhere along the line. So was her husband Philip, who was Greek but also changed his name to appear English. But all that does not matter because they all look white to you?

You may gloat all you want about this case, but they are only starting with their discrimination, and the girl’s case was just the litmus test. Like someone said, the day someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and decides to revoke your children’s legitimate citizenship because their parents or parents’ parents were immigrants, you will understand what precedent means and why you should be careful what you wish for.

Enough of the rant. Back to work!

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:53pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

If a white looking person says this, we will all scream racism, but alas, “we” are our own worst enemies.

Your post has no basis in law, just so you know. A child born on British soil to a settled parent is an automatic British citizen. As British as it gets. No matter where the parent came from, once they attain settled status, any children born of them afterwards is a British citizen at birth. That’s the law!

I’m not one to play the race card, but this case reeks of racism and islamophobia, and sets a very dangerous precedent like others have rightly suggested. It’s that Jihad-loving girl today but it could be anyone’s child tomorrow, for a far less crime. If the colour of her skin were to be white, she would have been treated differently. I denounce her and her association with the so-called Islamic State, but she’s British and should have been brought back home and tried in a British court, under British law, and sent to a British jail if found guilty. Not passed on to her parent’s birth country that she never had any connection to.

By your logic, because the PM’s father is Turkish (although born in the UK), the Johnson family should be sent to Turkey if they commit a crime, because according to you, the father’s father was not born here, they applied to live here blah blah blah, and are therefore second class British citizens. But you wouldn’t say that, would you? Why because they look white to you and the grandfather was clever to have changed his name from Osman Kemal to Wilfred Johnson. If the girl's name were to be Sharon Bellingham instead of Shemima Begum, you all will be singing a different tune.

Some of you are just full of inferiority complex and believe the white skin is superior to yours. As for me, my children are not second class to nobody in this land (and they know that). I may be second class, I understand that, and that’s fine because I’m a bloody immigrant. But my children and their children? No way! I’ve paid that price for them. Everyone’s parents came from somewhere, and it doesn’t matter how long ago. Even the Queen’s family came from Germany and changed their name to Windsor to sound British somewhere along the line. So was her husband Philip, who was Greek but also changed his name to appear English. But all that does not matter because they all look white to you?

You may gloat all you want about this case, but they are only starting with their discrimination, and the girl’s case was just the litmus test. Like someone said, the day they decide to revoke your children’s legitimate citizenship because their parents or parents’ parents were immigrants, you will understand what precedent means and why you should be careful what you wish for.

Gbam..... you explained it so well. If anyone cannot get why this CASE is so wrong and has no place in todays society of fairness hopefully one day they would

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 4:06pm On Mar 17, 2021
djo120920:

Thank you dear STENON.

I will take your suggestion. But I fear the market will be oversaturated with English teachers. What do you think? And what are the chances of gaining a job (leading to Tier 2 visa and ultimately ILR) with the QTS award?

My initial plan was to come study MSc Social Research and then go on to conduct academic research at the PhD level. I already got admission for that. But I also love teaching, especially in the classroom. And someone mooted the idea of the QTS to me. I'm about to start applying for that. Can you point me towards some universities that offer PGCE with QTS? I've seen a couple, like Reading, Coventry, and Kingston. I'd like to see if there are others as well.

Thank you again

cheesy this got me laughing, You can always join the saturated market and be the best among them all. Many people are coming to UK, USA, Canada etc from countries where English is not their first or second language .

I am sorry as I don't actually have any information about the schools that are offering PGDE in England.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 4:32pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

If a white-looking person says this, we will all be up in arms screaming racism. Alas, “we” seem to be our own worst enemies.

Your post has no basis in law, just so you know. A child born on British soil to a settled parent is an automatic British citizen. As British as it gets. No matter where the parent came from, once they attain settled status, any children born of them afterwards is a British citizen at birth. That’s the law!

I’m not one to play the race card, but this case reeks of racism and islamophobia, and sets a very dangerous precedent like others have rightly suggested. It’s that Jihad-loving girl today but it could be anyone’s child tomorrow, for a far less crime. If the colour of her skin were to be white, she would have been treated differently. I denounce her and her association with the so-called Islamic State, but she’s British and should have been brought back home and tried in a British court, under British law, and sent to a British jail if found guilty. Not passed on to her parent’s birth country that she never had any connection to.

Some of you are just full of inferiority complex and believe the white skin is superior to yours. As for me, my children are not second class to nobody in this land (and they know that). I may be second class, I understand that, and that’s fine because I’m a bloody immigrant. But my children and their children? No way! I’ve paid that price for them. Everyone’s parents came from somewhere, and it doesn’t matter how long ago. Even the Queen’s family came from Germany and changed their name to Windsor to sound British somewhere along the line. So was her husband Philip, who was Greek but also changed his name to appear English. But all that does not matter because they all look white to you?

You may gloat all you want about this case, but they are only starting with their discrimination, and the girl’s case was just the litmus test. Like someone said, the day someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and decides to revoke your children’s legitimate citizenship because their parents or parents’ parents were immigrants, you will understand what precedent means and why you should be careful what you wish for.

Best comment I've read on this matter.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:53pm On Mar 17, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Best comment I've read on this matter.

This got nothing to do with being 1st, 2nd or 3rd class citizen, some are just playing race card here which is embarrassing . How about Jack Letts? He was born in this country to a Canadian father and a British mother all as white as snow, he was also stripped of his British citizenship and his parents jailed for supporting him while he was fighting with ISIS. So is that also racist?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:09pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

Your post has no basis in law, just so you know. A child born on British soil to a settled parent is an automatic British citizen. As British as it gets. No matter where the parent came from, once they attain settled status, any child born of them afterwards is a British citizen at birth. That’s the law!

I’m not one to play the race card, but this case reeks of racism and islamophobia, and sets a very dangerous precedent like others have rightly suggested. It’s that Jihad-loving girl today but it could be anyone’s child tomorrow, for a far less crime. If the colour of her skin were to be white, she would have been treated differently. For the avoidance of doubt, I denounce her and her association with the so-called Islamic State, but she’s British and should have been brought back home and tried in a British court, under British law, and sent to a British jail if found guilty. Not passed on to her parent’s birth country that she never had any connection to.

Some of you are just full of inferiority complex and believe the white skin is superior to yours. As for me, my children are not second class to nobody in this land (and they know that!). I may be second class, I understand that, and that’s fine because I’m a bloody immigrant. But my children and their children? No way! I’ve paid that price for them. Everyone’s parents came from somewhere, and it doesn’t matter how long ago. Even the Queen’s family came from Germany and changed their name to Windsor to sound British somewhere along the line. So was her husband Philip, who was Greek but also changed his name to appear English. But all that does not matter because they all look white to you?

Hope you are aware the UK did not just stripe her of her citizenship without the backing of the law. This decision was challenged in court and the decision was upheld. This has nothing to do with race or colour of your skin. This is not the Nigerian judiciary where all the judges can be bought and sold.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:11pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

This got nothing to do with being 1st, 2nd or 3rd class citizen, some are just playing race card here which is embarrassing . How about Jack Letts? He was born in this country to a Canadian father and a British mother all as white as snow, he was also stripped of his British citizenship and his parents jailed for supporting him while he was fighting with ISIS. So is that also racist?

Are you able to substantiate that claim and provide proof that Jack Letts’ citizenship was indeed revoked? Kindly point us to the official statement from the Home Office or any government agency to that effect. Official statement, please; not unsubstantiated tabloid rumours that no one has confirmed in an official capacity till date.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:13pm On Mar 17, 2021
wallg123:

Hope you are aware the UK did not just stripe her of her citizenship without the backing of the law. This decision was challenged in court and the decision was upheld. This has nothing to do with race or colour of your skin. This is not the Nigerian judiciary where all the judges can be bought and sold.

Yes, the same UK Supreme Court that is filled with old white men shocked. They don’t have to be “bought” with money, race and religion is enough to sway their decision, which sets a very dangerous precedent.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:22pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

Are you able to substantiate that claim and provide proof that Jack Letts’ citizenship was indeed revoked? Kindly point us to the official statement from the Home Office or any government agency to that effect. Official statement, please; not unsubstantiated tabloid rumours that no one has confirmed in an official capacity till date.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49385376

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/jack-letts-stripped-british-citizenship-isis-canada

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/17/jihadi-jack-isis-fighter-stripped-british-citizenship-home-office/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/canada-disappointed-britain-stripping-isis-fighter-s-citizenship-n1043811

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:24pm On Mar 17, 2021
wallg123:

Both Jack Letts and Shemima have not properly challenged the UK Government in a court of law.... its until they do before it can be seen what exact legality or right did the home office have to do such

The Home office is probably just testing its powers know fully well it has no leg to stand on. ...(..Especially when in both cases even Canada said what UK did is rubbish and Bangladeshsaid she not their citizen ) .. we see that all the time, even with some HMRC Cases. Time will tell. What Shemima lost is not her case but a case to appeal the decision in person within the UK. She can put in a case to hear her appeal overseas.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 5:48pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49385376

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/jack-letts-stripped-british-citizenship-isis-canada

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/17/jihadi-jack-isis-fighter-stripped-british-citizenship-home-office/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/canada-disappointed-britain-stripping-isis-fighter-s-citizenship-n1043811

Read my question again, but this time slowly.

I did not ask for news reportage (which was never confirmed officially). I asked for the announcement by the government.
Remember it was Sajid Javid himself (as Home Secretary) who announced the decision to revoke Shamima’s citizenship. No government official announced the revocation of Jack Letts’, only rumours in the newspapers that were never substantiated.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 5:54pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

Mr Justwise these are two different cases. Jack has a dual citizenship (Canadian & British). Have the Britons stripped him of their citizenship? Yes according to the dailies. Have the Canadian done the same? No.
But this girl in question, only had the privilege of having a single citizenship.
Anyways I have said it several times on here. What will be will be!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

Read my question again, but this time slowly.

I did not ask for news reportage (which was never confirmed officially). I asked for the announcement by the government.
Remember it was Sajid Javid himself (as Home Secretary) who announced the decision to revoke Shamima’s citizenship. No government official announced the revocation of Jack Letts’, only rumours in the newspapers that were never substantiated.

Common now! if you got nothing more to say just go back to work and don't waste my time playing this childish game.

So those newspapers made it up?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2021
Divine88:

Mr Justwise these are two different cases. Jack has a dual citizenship (Canadian & British). As the Britons stripped him of their citizenship, have the Canadian done the same? No.
But this girl in question, only had the privilege of having a single citizenship.
Anyways I have said it several times on here. What will be will be!

That is absolutely not true.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:00pm On Mar 17, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Both Jack Letts and Shemima have not properly challenged the UK Government in a court of law.... its until they do before it can be seen what exact legality or right did the home office have to do such

The Home office is probably just testing its powers know fully well it has no leg to stand on. ...(..Especially when in both cases even Canada said what UK did is rubbish and Bangladeshsaid she not their citizen ) .. we see that all the time, even with some HMRC Cases. Time will tell. What Shemima lost is not her case but a case to appeal the decision in person within the UK. She can put in a case to hear her appeal overseas.

She has, more than once and lost
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EddieMurphie: 6:04pm On Mar 17, 2021
Bourne007 put mouth for this matter na! I dey always gbadun your inputs. ✌️
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

I understand the issues involved well and have actually been involved in a discussion about this ad nauseam at the time Javid took the original decision.

The point, which is what JCWI and the rest are belabouring, is that while Begum's actions are extremely condemnable, the larger principle is that a second-generation Brit can be stripped of citizenship and sent back to a land they may never have known. NOT a naturalised immigrant, mark you, but their descendants. Ultimately, that renders UK citizenship of two categories, one for those whose ancestors were here when the Romans came, or who came generations ago (virtually all 'white') and one for those whose parents or ascendants arrived recently (generally of darker skin colours).

That, devoid of emotion, is the point at issue.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:08pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

She has, more than once and lost

The Supreme Court actually did not put an end to her case, they said she can't come to the UK to participate in her case at last instance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bourne007(m): 6:08pm On Mar 17, 2021
LMAO grin grin .. Make I swear allegiance first wink cool

EddieMurphie:
Bourne007 put mouth for this matter na! I dey always gbadun your inputs. ✌️

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

I understand the issues involved well and have actually been involved in a discussion about this ad nauseam at the time Javid took the original decision.

The point, which is what JCWI and the rest are belabouring, is that while Begum's actions are extremely condemnable, the larger principle is that a second-generation Brit can be stripped of citizenship and sent back to a land they may never have known. NOT a naturalised immigrant, mark you, but their descendants. Ultimately, that renders UK citizenship of two categories, one for those whose ancestors were here when the Romans came, or who came generations ago (virtually all 'white') and one for those whose parents arrived recently (generally of darker skin colours).

That, devoid of emotion, is the point at issue.

Listen you are talking about something that may or may not happen in future, that is entirely difference argument.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

The Supreme Court actually did not put an end to her case, they said she can't come to the UK to participate in her case at last instance.

Yes and the question is...can she participate in her case by proxy? If the answer is no then you will understand the implication of the ruling
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

Listen you are talking about something that may or may not happen in future, that is entirely difference argument.
That exactly, is the definition of precedent. And that is the basis of this argument. A very dangerous precedent has been set for the future!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:19pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

The whole foundation of what is been built ....a dangerous two tier citizenship system

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2021
As an aside, the whole nauseating Windrush matter should give a pointer to what can happen to you when your skin is not white and they decide to question your citizenship. Despite all the injustices heaped upon those west Indians many of whom arrived when they were legally British subjects or before their legal right to come to the UK was legislated away, the government is still beating about the bush in terms of recognising their rights.

There is one seriously unjust case where a man who came here as a child in the 60s (when he was allowed to), lived here all his life, then went back to Jamaica to attend his mother's funeral, and was unlawfully denied entry to the UK for 9 years thereafter. When he was finally allowed back in 2018, he applied for citizenship, but was given ILR instead and told that despite living here for 40 years, you have to be in the UK for the 5 years preceding an application to get citizenship, When his lawyer naturally pointed out that his client would have been in the UK 5 years ago if not for the fact that he had been unlawfully refused entry to his own country, the Home Secretary said sorry, that's the law. You have to wait another 5 years.

But after Mandela won the election in South Africa in 1994, thousands of white South Africans simply packed up and moved to the UK en masse.
Who said skin colour doesn't matter?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:24pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

My brother, you just made my point.

The future is unknowable, and that is why those making noise now are making the noise.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:28pm On Mar 17, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

My brother, you just made my point.

The future is unknowable, and that is why those making noise now are making the noise.

That noise doesn't need to be made.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:32pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

Measures and laws which appear non-discriminatory on their face may have intended or unintended consequences which unfairly place a segment of the population at a disadvantage as compared to others.

In this case, those at a disadvantage are those defined by the recency of their family's residence in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by nihilistjnr: 6:43pm On Mar 17, 2021
icon8:

I never said it wasn't the law so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here

Anna Chapman -Russian
David Hicks - Australian
Jack Letts - Canadiian

All white btw

This is such a ridiculous statement. Shemima Begum LEFT the UK in case you've forgotten. Voluntarily. To go and become a Citizen of ISIS. And the UK government refused to let her back.
How does this relate to what you wrote up there?

Nothing you wrote here is relevant to the topic at hand. If your children go and join ISIS and are caught, even if you climb a cross and pay the ultimate price, they will get the Shemima Begum treatment.

'They' are not 'just starting' anything bro

The 1981 Act outlined the boundaries of British Citizenship, and Section 40 of the Act included conditions under which the Secretary of State could deprive citizenship to non-birth citizens – i.e. those who had British citizenship due to naturalisation or registration.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:47pm On Mar 17, 2021
justwise:

That noise doesn't need to be made.

Until it happens to you or close to home.
The Jews in pre-Nazi Germany didn’t know it could happen to them until it did.

Allow us to make our noise in peace.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Chukwuka16: 6:50pm On Mar 17, 2021
I’m reading comments here and just SMH.

Meghan was on TV and complained bitterly about facing racism from the royal family. We read (speculations) on how the UK through its spy agency may have “murdered” Diana because she was rumoured to be pregnant with child for Dodi. We are here in the UK – the world’s capital for “institutionalised racism” but guess what – it’s their damn country. They make the rules, and we have to follow. If we can’t, exits are on every floor.

You are shouting about rights in the UK – the owners of common law? You are kidding. The law is what they say is the law. Matter of fact she has no written constitution and that gives them leeway in bending justice. These guys are masters at being cunning and shifting the goalpost to suit their needs. These are the clowns justifying why they would still continue trading with China and Saudi Arabia despite acknowledging abundance of abuse and human rights violations in these places. These guys would practically kiss your ass if money would drop. They will sell their mothers in a heartbeat for $$$£££.

Irrespective of how you feel about the Begum case, she has no further recourse in law as every litigation must at some point terminate. Except the supreme court decides to overrule itself (don’t see the chance), Begum has to look for citizenship elsewhere. They played their cards very well and used the judiciary to create a precedence. Don’t forget that this Tory government has been very anti-judiciary especially since the courts overruled BoJo when he prorogued parliament.

RESPONSIBILITY – that’s one big lesson the abroad teaches us, how to take responsibility for our decisions. She took an action and has learnt the hard way that you can’t eat your cake and have it. You can’t justify her actions with age. She joined terrorists and became a terrorist. There is no easier way to look at it than that. She became the worst nightmare of a typical Brit.

As immigrants we should bother ourselves with what puts food on our table and also how to create opportunities that will enable us thrive outside of the system. This could be you or I tomorrow, what preparations are we making to be able to still live life to the fullest without access to the UK? If Begum had assets here in the UK, she could lose them.

If we didn’t learn anything, we have learnt one hard truth – if you are not an original British person, you can have your citizenship stripped away from you. There is now a precedent! If the SoS defines you as a threat to the country, you could be looking at the next flight to MMIA T1, Lagos, Nigeria. Preparing for this possibility eliminates shock when and if it should remotely occur.

Let’s leave the arguments about Begum and talk more about making money. Begum will be fine.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.