Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,842 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (624) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306750 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 1:08pm On May 17, 2021
LagosismyHome:

This the fundamental problem with Nigeria . It is not corruption but deep rooted wickedness/ evil.

Some stories are just so disturbing and you wonder how did we get there as a society. If we had even just stopped at corruption it would have been redeemable....

Goodluck to those still hoping say e go better

Imagine looting indomie and sugar meant for the masses who are mostly poor during a pandemic..

The same people you left at the mercy of COVID smh

chei

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 1:09pm On May 17, 2021
justwise:

There is a but…. You need to be caught watching it else you got nothing to worry about…and oh! Don’t allow any TV license official into your house and they can’t force their way into your house

He was not caught or anything

He does not even know how they got to know

probably checked his IP address

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 1:10pm On May 17, 2021
justwise:

You have mobile phone or other mobile devices…. You still pay

Wahala be like bicycle

grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:29pm On May 17, 2021
hustla:

He was not caught or anything

He does not even know how they got to know

probably checked his IP address

No. That will be illegal if they do that , someone probably grassed him up

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2021
justwise:
[/b]

No. That will be illegal if they do that , someone probably grassed him up

Well, could be true
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by twizzie: 1:54pm On May 17, 2021
Some things are easier said than done.. Living in Nigeria is different from going to visit.
If you live in Nigeria, some things will have to give.
My kid sister after months of pre-degree was given admission @ Uni Ilorin.. I mean she saw her name on the admission list. Fast forward to going back to pay acceptance fee and register, name don disappear. shocked Someone probably swapped her name with another person's name. My dad angrily enrolled her in a private Uni. He could afford it, otherwise, that would mean another one year at home. For those who cannot afford it, will you keep on waiting when you know your child is well qualified?
I was robbed some years back, I still had to pay Police to get police report after losing so much..
It is easy to sit behind a screen and say let us stop giving excuses, if you are in some situations, you simply do not have a choice.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 2:31pm On May 17, 2021
twizzie:
Some things are easier said than done.. Living in Nigeria is different from going to visit.
My kid sister after months of pre-degree was given admission @ Uni Ilorin.. I mean she saw her name on the admission list. Fast forward to going back to pay acceptance fee and register, name don disappear. shocked Someone probably swapped her name with another person's name. My dad angrily enrolled her in a private Uni. He could afford it, otherwise, that would mean another one year at home. For those who cannot afford it, will you keep on waiting when you know your child is well qualified?
I was robbed some years back, I still had to pay Police to get police report after losing so much..
It is easy to sit behind a screen and say let us stop giving excuses, if you are in some situations, you simply do not have a choice.
This is the best I have ever read here wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 3:00pm On May 17, 2021
justwise:

You can’t avoid paying council tax unfortunately , one of the most unfair taxes we pay here followed by TV license

You can avoid TV licence if you don't watch live TV.

Just apply online and tell them you watch Netflix and play Fortnite on your TV.

I have never paid TV licence

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:04pm On May 17, 2021
twizzie:
It is easy to sit behind a screen and say let us stop giving excuses if you are in some situations, you simply do not have a choice.

Far better than living and enabling corruption and still complain about.

Do you have any solution than to complain?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:05pm On May 17, 2021
umarwy:

Not possible , oh well
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 3:16pm On May 17, 2021
Thank you

Please before your appointment what sort of mail did you get?

The one I got didn't bear a date only said I should proceed to London Office for enrollment with the same documents you listed.
Though a self addressed envelope wasn't added

Not sure what to make of it

Any help?
EmmyKing86:
Hi everyone.

So, for those of you waiting for a passport renewal appointment, remember to print your passport payment slip, acknowledgment slip & application form (signed).

My experience today was not different from my last appointment in January 2016. The customer service is non-existent. The people attending to me were quite rude, impatient, and angry. The offices have not changed and the waiting area was rowdy with nobody observing social distancing. My initial appointment was on the 12th however, upon arriving at Victoria coach station on the 11th I received a cancelation notification and a reschedule till today. I had to go back to Swansea and book my hotel room again.

What still surprises me is that in 2021 we are still dealing with printing paper and submitting paper applications and after biometric capture, you still have to fill another form. There has to be some sort of digital innovation that would make the whole process hassle-free for both staff and customers.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 3:18pm On May 17, 2021
Even if this is done with a TV?

Like using a TV to watch only Netflix

umarwy:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lynniebabes(f): 3:41pm On May 17, 2021
Hello can anyone tell me if I get a compassion from a 4 star hotel in London. After getting critically ill and rushed to emergency from allergies I got in there.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by iboboyswag(m): 3:49pm On May 17, 2021
LagosismyHome:

I almost will give you this one and say yes my words are wrong because let me not judge until you walk in ones shoes .....

except that even if there been issues with someone admission . You can always try again the proper way till you get it right. That always better than living a lie

True.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 4:13pm On May 17, 2021
lynniebabes:
Hello can anyone tell me if I get a compassion from a 4 star hotel in London. After getting critically ill and rushed to emergency from allergies I got in there.
What do you mean by compassion?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DeeOneBangin: 4:36pm On May 17, 2021
dustydee:

What do you mean by compassion?

I think the person meant compensation
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:47pm On May 17, 2021
umarwy:

Absolutely correct. I called to inform them as well. They came to check and I invited them in to confirm. No single notice or letter since then and it’s been at least 2 years.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:48pm On May 17, 2021
Vooom:

Netflix is not live tv. You’re good. As long as you honestly do not watch live tv. You shouldn’t have to pay.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ELff: 4:49pm On May 17, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Why did you not open a student account, from year one?....

Before you lose that student account privileges, better hop on it.....

A YouTube video about CC posted, track it down and watch it..... wink

I am a post graduate student. When I came, there was lockdown for a long time so I had to make do with a virtual bank account but I need a real one now as the virtual account restricts me. Also, how do I stop missing my way whenever I go out? And knowing the right bus to enter too. Google map doesn't help sometimes, some other times, when I ask questions, most of the people are just like me trying to find their way too.

Today, I was to enter Bus 21, I did enter 21 but this one wasn't going my way.. Its confusing sometimes.
I don waka lost plenty times...whew.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:29pm On May 17, 2021
grin grin grin When u enter bus tell conductor where u dey go. Shout “owa” when u hear/see ur bus stop tongue
ELff:

I am a post graduate student. When I came, there was lockdown for a long time so I had to make do with a virtual bank account but I need a real one now as the virtual account restricts me. Also, how do I stop missing my way whenever I go out? And knowing the right bus to enter too. Google map doesn't help sometimes, some other times, when I ask questions, most of the people are just like me trying to find their way too.

Today, I was to enter Bus 21, I did enter 21 but this one wasn't going my way.. Its confusing sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 5:32pm On May 17, 2021
Did they have any warning sign on their menu?
lynniebabes:
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:16pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

Pele

Every bus is either going left or right so opposite direction , so once you confirm what bus to enter you need to check is it the one going left or right.

So for example a bus 21 goes Abuja to Enugh and one stop is Lagos. If I am in lagos then bus 21 is either going to abuja or bus 21 to Enugu. If your stop is going to the North then take the bus 21 in that direction. If your stop is going to the east then you have to cross the road and take that bus ...... so knowing the number is just the first step, next step is understanding there will be two on opposite sides

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 6:31pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

Haha.

Costly advice: from your current location, plot the address you are going to on Google Map, then "Start the Trip". If the bus you enter is moving in the right direction on the map, it is the right bus. If it is moving in opposite direction, it is the wrong bus, so get down at the next stop. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:34pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

We all got lost once before, but eventually found our ways....... tongue

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:40pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

If you already have an account with revolut, Monzo or starling........

You are not missing much........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:42pm On May 17, 2021
lynniebabes:

Did you inform them of your allergies, prior to ordering?......

If you did, approach a no win no fee solicitor...... Be mindful, if successful, a percentage is for them.....

You can't get them to start and then decide you are no longer interested....... They would slam you for jobs done so far, which you MUST pay or they would sue you, and you must pay.......

So, think an well...... If you approach the hotel, they are might offer you a voucher or similar...... So select your poison with care........

What did your medical report state?.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 6:46pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

In the future, just ask the driver where they're going. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dreddboy007: 6:52pm On May 17, 2021
Inkredible:

Genuinely curious, what don’t you like about the environment? Is it the weather? Infrastructure? People?

Not gonna lie, when I arrived as well, I wasn’t all that impressed (I’ll blame Hollywood movies here).

Re: Options; Migrating through work remains up there but studies too is viable. You stand a better chance applying from here than from Naija anyways.

Best of lucks.

Settling down here is hard. You either depend on someone or have a child and go through consent with the child’s mum etc. Nobody deserve to live on the edge when a woman can dictate your stay in the Uk. It’s better to goto a country where you’re likely to dictate what you want when you have skills etc. Hence why I’m not a fan of uk anymore.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 6:57pm On May 17, 2021
Vooom:

Yes, as long as you don't watch live TV or bbc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jaeybee98(m): 7:02pm On May 17, 2021
marylandcakes:

For Nigeria to get better, the mindsets of most Nigerians needs to be rebooted. You can’t give excuse for any kind of corruption. Most of the things done in Nigeria if you do them here, you will go to jail. If Nigerians stop giving bribe then there will be less officers asking for bribe.
-Don’t bribe immigration make sure you have got all your right documentation and not carrying anything you’re not suppose to be carrying.
Be courteous and polite when dealing with Nigerian officers.
-Don’t bribe police make sure you have your right documents and obey traffic laws.
Etc.
anytime time I visit Nigeria, I drive and I get stopped by the police , I produce most of my papers. They call me bad market and ask me to drive off.
The same thing at the Airport. I think it’s morally corrupt and embarrassing for a uniform officer to be begging for money at the point of entry of any country.
There are lots of poor countries around the world that are not as corrupt as Nigeria, it’s just greed, wickedness and laziness bonged into one that is affecting the country.
Enough of the excuses it’s getting boring now.
@The bolded.
Sometimes, it's a lot more complicated than that. I've been in a bus that was stopped by the police in a solitary environment. A guy with laptop was searched and asked to pay a certain amount of money, he explained he's an IT person that works for a firm in Lagos. He showed them ID cards and all but they insisted on collection the said amount of money from him. He refused and was threatened, the officer said "You think say you sabi your right abi, because say you go school. We fit do you anything for here and nothing Wey anybody fit do". He eventually negotiated the price and paid. Other passengers were too scared to intervene, we've all heard stories about the crimes of the NPF.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 7:20pm On May 17, 2021
Hello, I have a friend on a tier 4 visa whose pasport expires in September, course ends in August and plans to apply for the graduate visa.
Is there any way he can apply for a Visa with an expired passport or what's the best next step to take....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:39pm On May 17, 2021
kaylov12:
Hello, I have a friend on a tier 4 visa whose pasport expires in September, course ends in August and plans to apply for the graduate visa.
Is there any way he can apply for a Visa with an expired passport or what's the best next step to take....

An expired passport, is not a legimate document. Hence, cannot apply for any legimate process..... grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.