Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,926 members, 7,821,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (625) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1310470 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ELff: 7:58pm On May 17, 2021
Thanks my people. The thing no easy. I will start with your suggestions and hopefully things improve.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by opomulero(m): 8:19pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

I am a post graduate student. When I came, there was lockdown for a long time so I had to make do with a virtual bank account but I need a real one now as the virtual account restricts me. Also, how do I stop missing my way whenever I go out? And knowing the right bus to enter too. Google map doesn't help sometimes, some other times, when I ask questions, most of the people are just like me trying to find their way too.

Today, I was to enter Bus 21, I did enter 21 but this one wasn't going my way.. Its confusing sometimes.
I don waka lost plenty times...whew.

download "citymapper"
its easy u cant go wrong with it

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 9:17pm On May 17, 2021
...FYI

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 9:35pm On May 17, 2021
ELff:

I am a post graduate student. When I came, there was lockdown for a long time so I had to make do with a virtual bank account but I need a real one now as the virtual account restricts me. Also, how do I stop missing my way whenever I go out? And knowing the right bus to enter too. Google map doesn't help sometimes, some other times, when I ask questions, most of the people are just like me trying to find their way too.

Today, I was to enter Bus 21, I did enter 21 but this one wasn't going my way.. Its confusing sometimes.
I don waka lost plenty times...whew.

I consider myself an expert on buses. Lol
Use Google maps.look at the sign of the bus stop. Make sure you are standing at the right stop.
If still in doubt,always always ask the driver. They can confirm if you are on the right bus and also point you in the right direction. They can even tell you when you are supposed to get off. Although I use Google maps for this. Just make sure your location is turned on. Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 9:47pm On May 17, 2021
This is an email a colleague got back from UKVI.
You can indeed use an expired passport.
If still in doubt as to particular circumstances, please send a mail to UKVI.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 9:48pm On May 17, 2021
Thanks for this update
STENON:
...FYI
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 9:53pm On May 17, 2021
omopapa:
Thanks for this update
wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by kaylov12: 10:14pm On May 17, 2021
missjekyll:

Thanks for this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:51pm On May 17, 2021
missjekyll:

This covid really removed, 'computer says no syndrome'...... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 1:07am On May 18, 2021
dreddboy007:
Hi Guys, I’m currently in the Uk and I can say I don’t really enjoy the environment ( Please don’t advice me on how to live with what I don’t find pleasant ). I’m really thinking of moving to Canada. The express entry is a long process. Please which other options do I have to move to Canada. I know about student visa. Can you guys please advice me on this ?

What exactly don't you like about it? I think what you will find is that Canada isn't very different from the UK in many ways. In your other thread, you talked about the difficulties in ''settling down'' in the UK, Canada isn't also that straightforward. There are also immigrants who have ''settled down'' and have postgraduate degrees etc, but drive Uber/taxis or do security work etc in US/UK/Canada to make a living. I would advice you visit Canada before you relocate there. I spent 2 months in the US a few years back and came to the conclusion that all that glitters isn't gold.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luchiano54: 2:37am On May 18, 2021
Luchiano54:
I think you have to go for MSc Nursing Preregistration. Search for Kelvin Alaneme on Facebook and join his Telegram group for more information. All the best.
[]Hello guys, please i need some advice.

I got a job in the uk after doing several rounds of interview but during the stage of processing, they took it back because of the money involved in processing( i live in Nigeria) since then, i have been applying to so many other hospital in the Uk and in Nigeria with no luck( currently jobless at the moment lost it during covid)

The insecurities and everything happening in Nigeria is really my driving factor right now and also the fact that i have 6 years experience in my occupation ( IVF clinical embryologist) with measly pay

I have a BSc in biochemistry and currently rounding up my masters in biotechnology( online masters from a university in Spain. A scholarship i won) Also i am married with 1 child. I currently sell stuffs but i do not really make money of it.

I recently applied for an Msc in adult nursing in the Uk because i am hoping to relocate and give myself and my child a better future instead of wallowing here. i have the money i saved for it.

My questions is, can i work as a nurse after schooling or is it just a waste of money?

Is there a career path in towing this way?

Isnt it better than staying idle in Nigeria without any job?

Can i get a good job while schooling to at least take care of me and my family.

Please, i need all the advice i can get. Am i mistaking a mistake?

Forgive me for sounding this EMotional. I was severely discouraged about this idea by a family member and now i am confused.

@justwise and every person on here
I think you have to go for MSc Nursing Preregistration if you want to work as a Registered Nurse after schooling. Search for the name "Kelvin Alaneme" on Facebook. He runs a Telegram group. Join the group and get the right information. All the best.
[quote author=zeb04 post=101744225]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Luchiano54: 2:43am On May 18, 2021
I think you have to go for MSc Nursing Preregistration. Search for Kelvin Alaneme on Facebook and join his Telegram group for more information. All the best.
[]Hello guys, please i need some advice.

I got a job in the uk after doing several rounds of interview but during the stage of processing, they took it back because of the money involved in processing( i live in Nigeria) since then, i have been applying to so many other hospital in the Uk and in Nigeria with no luck( currently jobless at the moment lost it during covid)

The insecurities and everything happening in Nigeria is really my driving factor right now and also the fact that i have 6 years experience in my occupation ( IVF clinical embryologist) with measly pay

I have a BSc in biochemistry and currently rounding up my masters in biotechnology( online masters from a university in Spain. A scholarship i won) Also i am married with 1 child. I currently sell stuffs but i do not really make money of it.

I recently applied for an Msc in adult nursing in the Uk because i am hoping to relocate and give myself and my child a better future instead of wallowing here. i have the money i saved for it.

My questions is, can i work as a nurse after schooling or is it just a waste of money?

Is there a career path in towing this way?

Isnt it better than staying idle in Nigeria without any job?

Can i get a good job while schooling to at least take care of me and my family.

Please, i need all the advice i can get. Am i mistaking a mistake?

Forgive me for sounding this EMotional. I was severely discouraged about this idea by a family member and now i am confused.

@justwise and every person on here
[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tushqueen(f): 12:26pm On May 18, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

In the future, just ask the driver where they're going. grin

Exactly what I do, I use google map to find destination, click on the bus icon, you will see the timing for the buses going there and aim at one of them. Make sure to stand at the correct bus stop, enter the exact bus number, also tell the driver where you are going just to be sure.

But eventually, getting a car makes all sense if one can afford to

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 7:30pm On May 18, 2021
Thanks.
Thanks, I may just walk in
LagosismyHome:

So I speak in 3rd party as I never saw the email but hearsay

My hubby applied in August and said he just heard back from Nigeria embassy last week asking him to come this week for capture..however in his case he was giving a date and time. Then I asked that but how does naija embassy know if that time is OK by the applicant and he said somewhere in the mail states that if that time is not suitable then you can come anytime within a 2 weeks time frame.

So I am telling you as I heard without seeing the mail. The last part makes me conclude that you can go there and walk in. Worse case go with a copy of the letter/ mail that shows no time or date given
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 7:31pm On May 18, 2021
Thanks
I may just walk in
LagosismyHome:

So I speak in 3rd party as I never saw the email but hearsay

My hubby applied in August and said he just heard back from Nigeria embassy last week asking him to come this week for capture..however in his case he was giving a date and time. Then I asked that but how does naija embassy know if that time is OK by the applicant and he said somewhere in the mail states that if that time is not suitable then you can come anytime within a 2 weeks time frame.

So I am telling you as I heard without seeing the mail. The last part makes me conclude that you can go there and walk in. Worse case go with a copy of the letter/ mail that shows no time or date given
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lynniebabes(f): 11:13pm On May 18, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Did you inform them of your allergies, prior to ordering?......

If you did, approach a no win no fee solicitor...... Be mindful, if successful, a percentage is for them.....

You can't get them to start and then decide you are no longer interested....... They would slam you for jobs done so far, which you MUST pay or they would sue you, and you must pay.......

So, think an well...... If you approach the hotel, they are might offer you a voucher or similar...... So select your poison with care........

What did your medical report state?.....

Hahaha, I got home from the emergency center yesterday .
The Hilton London canary wharf was so unapologetic. They said I can’t proof that I caught the allergy from the hotel. And also asked that I pay 60 pounds extra for the three hours we spent arguing before checkout.
They manager was so rude, so I just didn’t want to argue as I didn’t have the energy and left with my family. I was sure it happened the first night I woke up in the hotel. It’s dust from the air condition and rug. All my kids got sick. So we checked out. I am planning on writing a review on everything that happened with them.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oluyara(m): 11:25pm On May 18, 2021
I have not been able to get around it. The process, according to the information available on the website, requires all applicant to have an appointment date. I hope to get one soon.
Vooom:
Got same today

Seems too blank
How did you got around it?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:30pm On May 18, 2021
lynniebabes:

The Hilton London canary wharf was so unapologetic. They said I can’t proof that I caught the allergy from the hotel. And also asked that I pay 60 pounds extra for the three hours we spent arguing before checkout.
They manager was so rude, so I just didn’t want to argue as I didn’t have the energy and left with my family. I was sure it happened the first night I woke up in the hotel. It’s dust from the air condition and rug. All my kids got sick. So we checked out. I am planning on writing a review on everything that happened with them.

To proceed, you would require an expert report/or if anyone else suffered such reactions......

Does your medical records stipulate source/type of reaction?...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 11:53pm On May 18, 2021
lynniebabes:

I have been a beneficiary of compensations in the past. It's a sweet experience.
However, you must be 101% sure that you can prove that the allergic reaction was the hotel's 'fault'.
Unless you can prove it beyond reasonable doubts, I would suggest you let it slide.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 2:26am On May 19, 2021
Hello house pls what is the highest gross salary one can earn in the UK?

As a health care assistant is £1500 good enough for one that wants to brings her partner? The HCA earns £2000 as gross with lot of overtime and after deductions, take home is £1500.

What can one do to increase to this level of pay pls? I feel is too small.

Can one really save from this £1500 every month?
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 2:41am On May 19, 2021
Hello house please is there anything called hardship loan in the UK?

Is it easy to get a hardship loan from your place of work?

Also is it possible to get loan from another lender when one have previously borrowed from another source? For example one collected loan from salary fiance in place of work like £3000 and every month, there is deductions of £100 from the salary to pay back the loan. Then needed more money for family emergency,and requested for a top up loan from salary finance in place of work, and got declined, then later source help from hardship support loan for £2000, pls I want to ask if it is possible for the loan to be granted with deduction from the salary? Please anybody with similar experience kindly assist.

Thank you for your response.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 3:01am On May 19, 2021
monchat:

As a health care assistant is £1500 good enough for one that wants to brings her partner? The HCA earns £2000 as gross with lot of overtime and after deductions, take home is £1500.

Thank you

1500 will be a big struggle depending on the city. This family will need two working incomes to even be anywhere near comfortable. ....

however if the job is just a stepping stone to greater things maybe after 2 years then hey why not. Just don't remain on £1500 let say 10 years down the line
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:28am On May 19, 2021
monchat:
Hello house please is there anything called hardship loan in the UK?

Is it easy to get a hardship loan from your place of work?

Thank you for your response.
I’ve not heard of hardship loan before but had to search on google just to be sure. This is what I found cheesy
Since you are working and not a victim of crime of violence, I don’t think you can access this fund. Here is the link
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hardship-fund-a-guide

On your others question, there is no limit to collecting loans in the UK, provided you have a good credit record and you can meet there financial requirements. But personally I don’t think you should be spending money you don’t have. Because payback is a Muda4ker

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 5:41am On May 19, 2021
monchat:

Thank you

Regarding the bolded, since you asked, some Premier League players are earning 250,000 pounds a week.

But if you are asking about what healthcare assistants earn and what they can live on, this depends on your personal circumstances and location in the UK.
If you're living alone and renting in a reasonably priced city at 400 + bills a month, spending maybe 80 - max. 100 a month on transport, in the region of 250 for groceries and other necessities (not including Nigerian food), then you can save a good chunk of your income monthly. If you put your mind to it.

When you say "bring your partner", you haven't clarified if you are asking whether you satisfy the 18,600 gross income threshold for bringing in spouses (because you do) or if you just want to know if the income can support two people. Again, if its just the two of you for now (you didn't mention children), depending on your location, the two of you can live on your current income comfortably.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:44am On May 19, 2021
monchat:

Thank you

There is no limit to how much you can earn (gross or net income), for this UK some people earn as over £500k a month , while others still dey earn £500 or below a month.
I think you should strive to get more more money if you can...
Taking home £1500 after tax is good but like madam (lagosismyhome) said it might not be enough depending on your location/city and responsibilities.
I’m not sure you can even live comfortably on that salary after bills, not to talk of living with your partner.but if u and ur husband dey work somehow una go fit save a little .

Keep improving yourself and always watch out for better qualifications and experience = better opportunities and pay
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by jargo192: 6:45am On May 19, 2021
Hello house,

I wanted to ask some questions. I got a job with work sponsorship to relocate to the UK and I would be leaving shortly from Naija. The Job is in the Bath Somerset area. from my research the area seems xpensive. Can you guys give an ideal area to live and settle?. I am single. Also if I would like to make new friends with my fellow Naija peeps in the area. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 7:10am On May 19, 2021
jargo192:
Hello house,

I wanted to ask some questions. I got a job with work sponsorship to relocate to the UK and I would be leaving shortly from Naija. The Job is in the Bath Somerset area. from my research the area seems xpensive. Can you guys give an ideal area to live and settle?. I am single. Also if I would like to make new friends with my fellow Naija peeps in the area. Thanks

I think you are best advised to come in first and then you can decide where you would like to live that is within commutable distance of the job location that you already think seems expensive. Remember that it is only when you arrive and learn the environment that you can get a real idea of what is and is not expensive and if so, what practical steps can be taken to reduce your cost of living.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Vooom: 9:21am On May 19, 2021
I would just chill then.
Was panning to be there on Monday but not gonna travel from my far location to a waste
oluyara:
I have not been able to get around it. The process, according to the information available on the website, requires all applicant to have an appointment date. I hope to get one soon.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 11:10am On May 19, 2021
wallg123:

There is no limit to how much you can earn (gross or net income), for this UK some people earn as over £500k a month , while others still dey earn £500 or below a month.
I think you should strive to get more more money if you can...
Taking home £1500 after tax is good but like madam (lagosismyhome) said it might not be enough depending on your location/city and responsibilities.
I’m not sure you can even live comfortably on that salary after bills, not to talk of living with your partner.but if u and ur husband dey work somehow una go fit save a little .

Keep improving yourself and always watch out for better qualifications and experience = better opportunities and pay

Many thanks for your advice. But pls how can one improve on this, can one start school?? Have plenty experience in HCA as mental health And training but salary still very small. Not happy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 11:14am On May 19, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Regarding the bolded, since you asked, some Premier League players are earning 250,000 pounds a week.

But if you are asking about what healthcare assistants earn and what they can live on, this depends on your personal circumstances and location in the UK.
If you're living alone and renting in a reasonably priced city at 400 + bills a month, spending maybe 80 - max. 100 a month on transport, in the region of 250 for groceries and other necessities (not including Nigerian food), then you can save a good chunk of your income monthly. If you put your mind to it.

When you say "bring your partner", you haven't clarified if you are asking whether you satisfy the 18,600 gross income threshold for bringing in spouses (because you do) or if you just want to know if the income can support two people. Again, if its just the two of you for now (you didn't mention children), depending on your location, the two of you can live on your current income comfortably.

Thank you. Just looking for what I can do better to increase my salary in HCA. OR look for better career job. I can't go to school BC I have much responsible
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by monchat(m): 11:19am On May 19, 2021
[quote author=LagosismyHome post=101834642]

1500 will be a big struggle depending on the city. This family will need two working incomes to even be anywhere near comfortable. ....

however if the job is just a stepping stone to greater things maybe after 2 years then hey why not. Just don't remain on £1500 let say 10 years down the line [/quote

Stay in Northampton. Pls how can I improve my self under HCA not to be earning such. I have been on band 1 since. Not happy about this. Are they other HCA earning more than me??
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 11:42am On May 19, 2021
Had my biometrics and data capture done at the Nigeria High Commission today and I was very surprised with how well it all went. Apart from having to queue outside (in the rain), the experience far exceeded my expectations. Spent 30 minutes outside and exactly 1 hour inside. Got there about 8:30am and left at 10. No one was rude to me, maybe because I didn’t need any “assistance” and followed all instructions. Excepting delivery of my shiny green passport by 28th of May, even though they said to expect from 14th of June. All the best to those still awaiting their turn. You will soon receive the invite. My 10 months wait is finally over, just in time for the summer holidays and end of lockdown. Sunny Portugal, here I come! wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.