Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,340 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (650) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1303209 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2021
Aphrodite007:

Guy you completely need help. And clearly have no idea the shit you’re spitting.

So let me understand you. You want to sue me for pointing out that your nasty (and disgusting) Nigeria habit of having an opinion of someone’s dressing as indirect harrassment (which it is mate).

Guy do you want my full name and address? Send me a DM i will happily use you as example of an Nigerian man that needs to be schooled on what harassment and cyber bullying is.

Learn to take corrections and stop showing your inability to comprehend text.
I put it to you to post your name and address here, I don't have any back and forth to do with you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by chrisj2(m): 3:16pm On Jun 07, 2021
babajeje123 should really live up to his name...

Threatening to sue people on an open online forum like this is a bit much... Also, you said you have not been in the country that long, so, the way people interact with each other is something you have to watch and learn from.

Some things are said in jest and others are serious but not that offensive... Asking you not to mind your biz on how others dress is mild chiding - not a grand offence!

The way people dress is not always an indication of who the person really is and as long as the women are not ogled and turned into a sex object, na their body and choice.

I find too much flesh showing on a woman uncomfortable at the professional level. It can be hard to know where to look or not to look when too much cleavage, thigh, buttocks, G-string, belly and back is showing... But, I just get my head down and avoid interaction because I am not interested and do not want to be interested...

I also find young men wearing low slung trousers with their boxers showing disgusting...

I was watching the Masked Dancer recently and I saw Oti Mabuse - the South African dancer/judge with big funbags displaying for all to see. It was so bad because she was behind a table and the only view of her is from chest up... I thought it was not really a good look and low and behold, she was completely covered up for the rest of the series...

Anyway, babajeje, don't worry too much - continue with your prayers. Btw, some of us here are atheist and do not do religion - hope that does not offend you also (lol).

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 3:40pm On Jun 07, 2021
chrisj2:
I don't like it when people pull others down with their words to show they are wise

Threatening to sue people on an open online forum like this is a bit much... Also, you said you have not been in the country that long, so, the way people interact with each other is something you have to watch and learn from.
It wasn't a threat, it is what I would actually do if I have her details. She would need to proof to me when and where I harassed anyone for what they put on.

Some things are said in jest and others are serious but not that offensive... Asking you not to mind your biz on how others dress is mild chiding - not a grand offence!
Asking me to mind my business is an insult and saying that I harassed women is a false allegation. These are highly offensive.

The way people dress is not always an indication of who the person really is and as long as the women are not ogled and turned into a sex object, na their body and choice.

I find too much flesh showing on a woman uncomfortable at the professional level. It can be hard to know where to look or not to look when too much cleavage, thigh, buttocks, G-string, belly and back is showing... But, I just get my head down and avoid interaction because I am not interested and do not want to be interested...

I also find young men wearing low slung trousers with their boxers showing disgusting...

I was watching the Masked Dancer recently and I saw Oti Mabuse - the South African dancer/judge with big funbags displaying for all to see. It was so bad because she was behind a table and the only view of her is from chest up... I thought it was not really a good look and low and behold, she was completely covered up for the rest of the series...

I actually don't have a problem with the way people dress, I just aired my concern, like others, about the challenges parents face in raising their kids here.

Anyway, babajeje, don't worry too much - continue with your prayers. Btw, some of us here are atheist and do not do religion - hope that does not offend you also (lol).

No worries bro... I have atheists as friends and two of them are dear to me.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by babajeje123(m): 3:45pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Actually our women do. But with time it’s not as common place. We only wear tubes and short skirts for ‘events’ mainly now.

I don’t think @babajeje123 was trying to harass anyone sha. Because I won’t lie I can understand short skirts, but not short enough to be literally showing your buttocks. And how I know that they know it’s a problem is that the young girls will take 5 steps and pull it down. Walk small and tug at the skirt again. If you’re not comfortable showing that much skin just wear a slightly longer skirt Anyhoo, that’s me sha. As for me and my pikins, no showing of bum bum shall be tolerated mbok ; Short and smart, yes but indecent, nope.

I wonder where the allegation is coming from.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by folaosemen: 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2021
TRAY2:
I did NARIC as it was more convenient for me, all that was needed was my Transcript,and a letter of English proficiency from Uni, after getting registered with HCPC, register on trac jobs and nhs uk jobs,have a good statement of information channel it to suit the JD of the role you are applying for,have good refs, fastest fingers first and hope for the best, as it has now become more competive. Thanks to Brexit as it is now likely a level playing field with other nationalities especially from Europe applying for similar jobs.

Hi Tray2, I somehow stumbled on your post today and I'm really thrilled with your progress in the UK. My wife is a licensed Radiographer with HCPC with 10 years of MRI and CT scan experience but she hasn't been lucky with her job hunt for the past two years. I want to believe that she is probably not doing something right during her application for jobs. You also made mention of STATEMENT OF INFORMATION in your post above. Please what does it mean? Please can you help us with a template if need be. I have noticed her frustrations this past weeks because of the rejection mails she has so far received. Thanks as I await your swift response. Find below my email to send any templates that could be of help to us.
patrick_ose@yahoo.com or omojiate2012@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2021
Let's all kiss and make up...... This thread is a place of calm and tranquility.......... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2021
Lexusgs430:

A Dr does an average of 10/12 hours a shift, can work cross platforms for 7 days (if they wish to)........... cheesy

Wage per hour would work out between £80 - £150 per hour, you work out the rest.......... grin

Not all can do 10 to 12 hours shift ie Gp who are paid per session and even HO or SHO that £80 hard more like half of that .... Also to work 12 hours 7 days is very tasking on the body.

For me doctor salary is good but not great. For it to be great then maybe locumn consultant doing long hours .. come see what some IT contractors are earning

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sophiebby: 4:08pm On Jun 07, 2021
sophiebby:
Please how do one become an electrical engineer in the UK with hnd and few years of experience?

Please I’ll be glad if you can answer ,thanks so much
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by cutieb(f): 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

You can use our service. We are privileged to serve a lot of people weekly, some from this platform and are happy to report that you can expect zero stories. We deliver.

Send a DM for more deets. Thank you.

Do you ship naija foods to Scotty?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2021
cutieb:

Do you ship naija foods to Scotty?

Shipping Naija food to the UK is tricky. Regular garri, poundo, Egusi etc no issues. Other items like Fish/fish related items, meat and beans are considered contraband. Yam and Oil are they ‘that must not be named’ grin. Contraband items can be sent via a special DHL license we have but it’s not cheap.

If you’re in Scotland, depending on your location I can tell you where to get Naija food in Glasgow. Otherwise order from Wosiwosi. They dey try. If you insist on fresh fish from your village in bayelsa, then I’ve got you but be ready to pay wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ajibolaoi: 4:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Good day my great people,
Kudos to the job weldone here, you have all being given a relevant information about UK.

Please, i am planning to relocate to UK very soon, i hold a B.Sc and M.Sc in Animal Science here in Nigeria. I got a reasonable working experience in Agriculture (Poultry, Piggery, Crop, Goat and Sheep).
I will like to know if there is an opportunity in my area of specialization in UK. Also, what do I need to do to get a better offer in my field when i come around.
Thank you as you respond to my findings.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2021
justwise:

I'm here..so yeah igbos don't wear short skirt and tube dress, traditionally igbo men especially wear wrapper with short underneath and white singlet , a bit closer to Scottish kilt

Please don’t make me laugh. Everyone knows that Igbo maidens tie their wrappers short and tie a smaller version just enough to cover their breast. Dunno what part of Igbo land you’re from. Even things fall apart or any other Igbo literary book describes this, hence the reason the maidens dress that way during Igbo weddings.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:15pm On Jun 07, 2021
dustydee:

I don't think she was trying to insult you. Our cultural way of dressing was "indecent". Our women wore scanty clothes or none at all until the white people came. Till date some cultures, like the ibos, still wear those types of clothes. I agree that some of the clothes worn by some here are grossly indecent but it's a free world.

There was absolutely no insult there. You guys have scolded me a few times so I read twice. Which is what even pained me. Me telling him to mind his business of observing young ladies enough to form an opinion is advice not insult.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:19pm On Jun 07, 2021
babajeje123:

I wonder where the allegation is coming from.
And I didn’t say he was. I said indirect harassment.

Women in Nigeria get harassed when they go to the market, due to men like him having such mentality.

Worse still he said it was Nigerias dress code, please how? The yorubas traditionally, wear short skirts, the Fulanis wear half tops, the igbos tie a small wrapper up and down. So which Nigeria? Are we now imposing religious rules on what should be a secular state?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:21pm On Jun 07, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Not all can do 10 to 12 hours shift ie Gp who are paid per session and even HO or SHO that £80 hard more like half of that .... Also to work 12 hours 7 days is very tasking on the body.

For me doctor salary is good but not great. For it to be great then maybe locumn consultant doing long hours .. come see what some IT contractors are earning

Have I worked 7 days a week? YES..... Can I always work 7 days a week? NO...... (I have also been with the NHS now, 21+ years).... So I cannot be compared to an F2 or SHO)......

My argument is not on basis of comparisons...... I also know certain professions that earn higher than IT contractors......

At certain occasions, one could work longer than 12 hours....

My understanding of the argument, was not what profession earns more (I must admit, I did not follow the conversation thread)......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:24pm On Jun 07, 2021
babajeje123:

Yes air your concern, then learn that what you did, if uncontrolled, can be classed as harrassment (that’s why I said “Indirectly” and said mind your business). Since you’re new to the UK, start learning how the civilised world behaves. I know someone that got into trouble here for something he could do and get away with in Nigeria.

Also mate, “who are you?” Has no place in this country. I don’t need to be “anyone” to sort you out.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by oluayebenz: 5:29pm On Jun 07, 2021
Some people will still carry that Nigerian nonsense mentality go abroad.....

African and Religion sha
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 5:32pm On Jun 07, 2021
chrisj2:

He has every right to sue if he feels slighted.

In short I encourage him to sue, because I want to watch him explain to a Brit lawyer how he had an opinion of young ladies outfits, got corrected and told that it can be classed as harrassment, and wants to sue for being bullied and “false” allegations..

I can’t wait to see the lawyers eyes.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Captaincool1(m): 5:33pm On Jun 07, 2021
Please what are the dos and donts (DBS) in the caregiver positions and as a primary school teacher. Can one be involved in betting, clubbing.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:37pm On Jun 07, 2021
Captaincool1:
Please what are the dos and donts (DBS) in the caregiver positions and as a primary school teacher. Can one be involved in betting, clubbing.

Betting and clubbing, are all legal activities......... It's what you do at the clubs (when they open, that can crush you)......... grin

Also what you do online betting or visiting the betting shop, that can cause severe damage.......... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 5:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Please you guys should leave our UK girls to dress the way they like. We love it like that grin.
If you don’t like it close you eyes and waka pass. Me I like it, besides the heat is too much for summer.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 5:47pm On Jun 07, 2021
All the people suing up and down, lawyer is not cheap o

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 6:02pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Shipping Naija food to the UK is tricky. Regular garri, poundo, Egusi etc no issues. Other items like Fish/fish related items, meat and beans are considered contraband. Yam and Oil are they ‘that must not be named’ grin. Contraband items can be sent via a special DHL license we have but it’s not cheap.

If you’re in Scotland, depending on your location I can tell you where to get Naija food in Glasgow. Otherwise order from Wosiwosi. They dey try. If you insist on fresh fish from your village in bayelsa, then I’ve got you but be ready to pay wink

Speaking of DHL.... I ordered some hair from naija and shipped it to London via DHL. It was labeled as "gift" which really is not taxable

Yet I later got an invoice from DHL to come pay tax. Any idea on this ? Before I call dhl
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:14pm On Jun 07, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Speaking of DHL.... I ordered some hair from naija and shipped it to London via DHL. It was labeled as "gift" which really is not taxable

Yet I later got an invoice from DHL to come pay tax. Any idea on this ? Before I call dhl

That's DHL's way...... Just pay and move on.....

Next time, use our local logistics people......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 6:18pm On Jun 07, 2021
LagosismyHome:

That’s weird. It might be 1 of 2 things: A) The seller declared the true value of the hair. If it’s expensive DHL will charge you import tax based on the items value. It’s annoying but they do it for luxury items. Or B) The sender didn’t send DDP or Delivered to your door, which means they told DHL that the recipient is responsible for any charges after it arrives the UK (always confirm your item to the UK is DDP for next time, even when shipping from the EU). That way you can get a refund if anything goes wrong.

If it’s not either of these 2 reasons then I don’t know, but it’s best to call them and find out. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 9:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

My team and I are watching you oo. #justsaying
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:09pm On Jun 07, 2021
Divine88:

My team and I are watching you oo. #justsaying

Who are your Team please? And Who are you?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 9:18pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Smh.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 9:24pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

I don’t need to tell you who I am or where I work. We spoke about this issue every week at work.

Since you ask. I work in one of the listed places on this link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-border-control-posts-animal-and-animal-product-imports/live-animals-animal-products-and-food-and-feed-of-non-animal-origin-border-control-posts-bcp-in-the-uk

#justsaying
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2021
Divine88:

I don’t need to tell you who I am or where I work. We spoke about this issue every week at work.

Since you ask. I work in one of the listed places on this link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-border-control-posts-animal-and-animal-product-imports/live-animals-animal-products-and-food-and-feed-of-non-animal-origin-border-control-posts-bcp-in-the-uk

#justsaying

Mtschewwww!!! Let me not say how it is on my mind.

Watch away dear.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Divine88: 9:33pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mamatukwas:

Mtschewwww!!! Let me not say how it is on my mind.

Watch away dear.
Am walking away (In Craig David voice)

(1) (2) (3) ... (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.