Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (669) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1307149 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bmuhd4smile: 2:25pm On Jun 19, 2021
Good day house!
For visa application: which is better between birth certificate from hospital or from NPC to prove fund in parents account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wealthtrak: 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ilekokonit:

For some it helps reshape thinking but don't forget that the Brits shot themselves in the foot around 2004/05 when they did what was called Non-Appearance Visa when you could get a Visa without going for a face to face interview at the Embassy and all you needed do then was send your documents though a drop box system.

This meant a lot of people who would otherwise not get a visa in a face to face interview secured visas and the stock of Nigerians in the UK kept getting degraded the more and apart from that even the so called educated Nigerians in the UK still show off to themselves on any and everything be that job status, salary, home ownership status, home size, car price, kids private schools, etc, etc and that's why I don't really keep friends any more and all I have now are acquaintances whereby once we leave the beer parlor I may not see them until my next visit which may be in months. I choose carefully when and who to see now.

Keeping Nigerian friends is like another drama in itself. For instance whats the point of having a friend who believes in visiting soothsayers and prophets who purportedly see visions ? In London o.

And seeing that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with , I choose carefully those I call my friends as it is better to be alone than to be in the wrong company.

Foe example, you will be surprised that there are lots of Nigerians in London (young and old) who believe in babalawo's and fetishness and actively rely on and consult such charlartans !!!!!

I had a friend who once housed his cousin in London when his cousin was doing a masters degree. Lo and behold, he searched his cousins box one day and found a goat horn filled with juju stuff like the ones babalawos use in Nollywood films. He confronted his cousin and his cousin said he was only using the goat horn filled with juju for protection. In London o. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are more fetish Nigerians per square mile in London than in some cities in Nigeria.

There is a restaurant owner in London who once told me that he came to his shop one day and met a calabash filled with sacrificial juju in front of his shop and he thinks it was put there by one of his more successful competitors on the same road. That restaurant has closed down now and I personally have seen a calabash filled with fetish stuff - boiled eggs, agidi, palm oil placed at a 3 way junction road in broad daylight in a part of London where there are a lot of Nigerians and even all these restaurants we go to in London, only the Grace of God has probably been saving us as a friend told me he once went into a Nigerian restaurant in London unannounced before the lady opened up and he heard the owner on the phone with her jazz man in Nigeria asking him what amount of the "stuff" he gave her she should put into the soup. Luckily for us, that restaurant has also closed down now.

So, the moral of the story is that you may actually find more decent people in Nigeria than some Nigerians living in the UK.
I respect a lot of your thoughts
here. Well said. smiley

Nigerians worldwide have to develop emotional intelligence, balance, financial education, and
collaborative thinking for the
good of all. Books such as
"Think and Grow Rich" by
Napoleon Hill, and "The 80/20
Principle" by Richard Koch will enable people to find a balance
in their lives instead of showing
off or oppressing others... Kinda like "Do you know who I am?" grin

But I disagree with you demonising other people's religious beliefs.

I'm not an adherant of the
Ifa religion (Yoruba religion) but
I have studied the global spread
of the Ifa faith to Cuba, Brazil,
Trinidad and Tobago, U.S.A,
UK, due to the late 1700s and 1800s trans-Atlantic deportation
of Yorubas via slave schooners
and legal migration after 1900.

There are over 10,000 Babalawos (Ifa priests) in Cuba alone among Afro-Cubans and white Cubans and
Professor Wole Soyinka regularly visits Cuba on invitation to give
lectures about the Yoruba religion. Fidel Castro even gave a rousing welcome to Ooni Sijuade anytime he came to Cuba to see the Yoruba Diaspora being the leader from the Source or Ife.

Bahia in Brazil is another major focal point of Yoruba culture and religion from the 1800s, and one of the sons of Alaafin Abiodun of the Oyo Empire, (who reigned from c 1770 -1786) was taken as a war
prisoner and shipped to Brazil where he got married).

His wife then gave birth to a prominent son in Brazil who served and distinguished himself in the
Brazilian army in the 1800s.
The grandson of Alaafin Abiodun had the title: Dom Oba II D'Africa (Candido Da Fonseca Galvao was his name).

I have a deep knowledge of comparative religion right from
the early 1980s which breeds tolerance and respect for a wide range of global faiths/religions
and states of awareness.

Now, the Ifa priests (Baba Alawo) negative potrayal in some of
those Nigerian movies is false, defamatory, and is usually done
by especially ignorant Christians and some Muslim film producers who create fictional movie scripts without consulting the real Babalawos for guidance.

Internationally prominent Ifa priests or Babalawos such as
the 3 men below:

1. Professor Wande Abimbola (a former two-term Vice Chancelor
of OAU in Ile Ife).

2. Professor Odeyemi (a nationally prominent Geologist in FUTA, from Ekiti State, who worked on accurate earthquake or earth tremor
predictions. In 1985, he said an earthquake fault line runs from the
Atlantic ocean through Lagos State right up to Oyo State).

3. Chief Elebuibon.

...and more have on many
occasions in newspaper articles corrected this defamation by letting people know that it is against the spiritual laws for people to say Babalawos kill for rituals because there are karmic consequences or repercussions for doing so.

The Ifa belief system emphasises purity of thought and spiritual balance. I personally respect them
for that.

"TERMINOLOGIES"
1. The Yoruba term Babalawo is wrongly used by some ignorant folks and some sections of the media to refer to "Herbalists" and "ritualists," but Babalawos (Ifa priests) - the priests of the Yoruba religion, are the equivalents of Roman Catholic and Anglican church priests or Buddhist priests or monks, etc, who are in charge
of religious liturgy.

2. Onisegun (the Yoruba name for
a Herbalist who uses herbs or plants to treat people like you have
Herbalists in China, India, UK, U.S.A).

3. Oloogun ika (the Yoruba name
for those who commit evil or use diabolic or psychic means to harm others).

I hope this helps to
clarify things.

Cheers!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Regex: 3:15pm On Jun 19, 2021
justwise:

That has happened to me once because I used the back brake while riding on the snow, that bike formed figure 8 and I went home with few bruises.

I am glad I didn't ruin the car. Spent £23 on repairing the bike. The job that made me buy the bike, I didn't even get the job sef.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 4:18pm On Jun 19, 2021
wealthtrak:

I respect a lot of your thoughts
here. Well said. smiley

Nigerians worldwide have to develop emotional intelligence, balance, financial education, and
collaborative thinking for the
good of all. Books such as
"Think and Grow Rich" by
Napoleon Hill, and "80/20
Principle" by Robert Koch will enable people to find a balance
in their lives instead of showing
off or oppressing others... Kinda like "Do you know who I am?" grin

I'm not an adherant of the
Ifa religion (Yoruba religion) but
I have studied the global spread
of the Ifa faith to Cuba, Brazil,
Trinidad and Tobago, U.S.A,
UK, due to the late 1700s and 1800s trans-Atlantic deportation
of Yorubas via slave schooners
and legal migration after 1900.

There are over 10,000 Babalawos (Ifa priests) in Cuba alone among Afro-Cubans and white Cubans and
Professor Wole Soyinka regularly visits Cuba on invitation to give
lectures about the Yoruba religion. Fidel Castro even gave a rousing welcome to Ooni Sijuade anytime he came to Cuba to see the Yoruba Diaspora being the leader from the Source or Ife.

Bahia in Brazil is another major focal point of Yoruba culture and religion from the 1800s, and one of the sons of Alaafin Abiodun of the Oyo Empire (his son was taken as a war prisoner and shipped to Brazil where he got married).

His wife then gave birth to a prominent son in Brazil who served and distinguished himself in the
Brazilian army in the 1800s.
Dom Foncecao was his name.

I have a deep knowledge of comparative religion right from
the early 1980s which breeds tolerance and respect for other wide range of global faiths/religions
and states of awareness.

Now, the Ifa priests (Baba Alawo) negative potrayal in some of
those Nigerian movies is false, defamatory, and is usually done
by especially ignorant Christians and some Muslim film producers who create fictional movie scripts without consulting the real Babalawos for guidance.

Internationally prominent Ifa priests or Babalawos such as
the 3 men below:

1. Professor Wande Abimbola (a former two-term Vice Chancelor
of OAU in Ile Ife).

2. Professor Odeyemi (a nationally prominent Geologist in FUTA from Ekiti State, who worked on accurate earthquake or earth tremor
predictions. In 1985, he said an earthquake fault line runs from the
Atlantic ocean through Lagos State right up to Oyo State).

3. Chief Elebuibon

...and more have on many
occasions in newspaper articles corrected this defamation by letting people know that it is against the spiritual laws for people to say Babalawos kill for rituals because there are karmic consequences or repercussions for doing so.

The Ifa belief system emphasises purity of thought and spiritual balance. I personally respect them
for that.

"TERMINOLOGIES"
1. The Yoruba term Babalawo is wrongly used by some ignorant folks and some sections of the media for "Herbalists" and "ritualists," but Babalawos (Ifa priests) - the priests of the Yoruba religion, are the equivalents of Roman Catholic and Anglican church priests or Buddhist priests or monks, etc, who are in charge
of religious liturgy.

2. Onisegun (the Yoruba name for
a Herbalist who uses herbs or plants to treat people like you have
Herbalists in China, India, UK, U.S.A).

3. Oloogun ika (the Yoruba name
for those who commit evil or use diabolic or psychic means to harm others).

I hope this helps to
clarify things.

Cheers!
Thank you for this. I have learned something from it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wealthtrak: 4:44pm On Jun 19, 2021
dustydee:

Thank you for this. I have learned something from it.
@dustydee
You're welcome... smiley

I'm glad that you are receptive
to my post, and learned from
it.

I just got an inner nudge
and had to take out some
time to reply and correct
some urban legends and stereotypes.

Once again thanks for the
feedback. smiley

AIl the best.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 7barz(f): 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2021
Hi @thegurus

I am lost on what to do...

My husband and I have both studied and lived in the UK some years back before moving back to Nigeria 4 years ago before our visa expired. However, we are both coming back to the UK in September for his PhD studies while I come on as a dependent.

I do not know how to say this but I have to. During my stay, i took an unsecured loan and credit card loan from a UK bank and I didn't pay it off before I left the UK and I totally forgot about it while in Nigeria. i recently logged into my UK bank account this week and I saw the deficits. There was no official mail from the bank during the years I was in Nigeria so I wasn't in the know. Although i should have remembered that I didn't complete the payment so it's all my fault.

I tried to access my credit score and as expected, it has been impacted and I observed that the money has been passed off to a collection agency.

I would like to know if

1. I can contact the collection agency and find a way to pay off the deficits or have some kind of a structured repayment plan.

2. As my husband and I are both coming to the UK this September, can this affect us from securing accommodation in the future, especially when they do a credit check on our documents?

I would really appreciate your response and I do hope to be able to clean up this mess I created.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2021
[quote author=Ticha post=102874875]

I really liked Norwich - we lived just outside it (Attleborough) for 3 years. Why are you considering a move? Work? [/quot

Personally, when I first came to Norwich last year I did not like it because I felt its a quite environment. Told my wife who happens to have stayed here and works in a 2hr bus away from Norwich that we should consider relocation.

She said and as she be the principal I can't argue with her because am on her visa.

Now that I have adjusted myself to the environment having gotten job where I work 66hr a roll in a week and I am happy doing what I do.

Cos she is being victimised in her work place, she just called me this morning that she is considering relocation and I asked her only for her to tell me Yorkshire or Stockport.

I asked her if she has friends view on it and she was something else.

To me I can adapt anywhere, but am looking at my kids who are beginning to enjoy and integrate themselves in dia school.

Now, when I said no, she was like because I have become Baale of Norwich (King) mean while I came here just last year October.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 5:09pm On Jun 19, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Yorkshire is very big so depends where. But a great region in my opinion. Generally affordable. Lots of countryside and places to see. Being a Frugal person, I am drawn to affordability more than anything else. York itself is a dream, but I wouldn't go there as it's nearly as expensive as London.

Thank u so much as I will be sharing ur view with my wife.

If na Nigeria ni, my answer would have being NO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 5:11pm On Jun 19, 2021
justwise:

Have a look at Leeds or Bradford though Bradford is affordable but Leeds is more developed and demographically balanced than Bradford,

Leeds is also ahead in terms of job and life in general and it has a good transport network hub and share an airport with Bradford.

About 45mins away from Manchester though a bit far to London

Thank u so much, I will search more on Leeds. Hope one can train kids peacefully there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:13pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

My husband and I have both studied and lived in the UK some years back before moving back to Nigeria 4 years ago before our visa expired. However, we are both coming back to the UK in September for his PhD studies while I come on as a dependent.

I do not know how to say this but I have to. During my stay, i took an unsecured loan and credit card loan from a UK bank and I didn't pay it off before I left the UK and I totally forgot about it while in Nigeria. i recently logged into my UK bank account this week and I saw the deficits. There was no official mail from the bank during the years I was in Nigeria so I wasn't in the know. Although i should have remembered that I didn't complete the payment so it's all my fault.

I tried to access my credit score and as expected, it has been impacted and I observed that the money has been passed off to a collection agency.

I would like to know if

1. I can contact the collection agency and find a way to pay off the deficits or have some kind of a structured repayment plan.

2. As my husband and I are both coming to the UK this September, can this affect us from securing accommodation in the future, especially when they do a credit check on our documents?

I would really appreciate your response and I do hope to be able to clean up this mess I created.

How do you forget that you owe money .... impossible ooo . this why its hard for international students to get anything because the little they get , gets forgotten. .... If you borrowed someone money and they forgot how will u feel

But back to the issue... yes it can come back and become an issue. I know a friend who failed to pay a bill for months and it was sent to collection. Next time they wanted to rent it was an issue and they had to use a guarantor..... Contact the collection agency and take it from there

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 5:17pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

This is not a problem landlords or agency only does soft checks which don’t print that record out. Kindly pay your debt once you get to Uk. Cheers !

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2021
lightest:

Thank u so much as I will be sharing ur view with my wife.

If na Nigeria ni, my answer would have being NO

No worries. I have lived in Essex, London, Manchester and Yorkshire. I find Yorkshire the most quiet, organic and Affordable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:59pm On Jun 19, 2021
lightest:

Thank u so much, I will search more on Leeds. Hope one can train kids peacefully there.

Sure you can.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:07pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

That is your only way out and pray that they will accept payment arrangement else you will be asked to pay up completely.

If you have the money then its better to pay up so as to stop the interest getting out of hand, collection agent will add their own commission as well.

Do full credit score check to see companies or organisations that have looked at your credit history .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

Let's say it the way it is.........

You had no intention to repay the loan, likewise the cc, happy you had escaped with FREE MONEY......

Now, that FREE MONEY visits you back with severe consequences....

Yes, your credit score would be heavily impacted... You would have at least 2 CCJ's registered against you (assuming it's only 2 defaults).......

Renting a property with you been a named tenant, would be near enough impossible (you would require a guarantor)..... Goodluck with finding a guarantor......

If you eventually buy a property, this debts would be charged to your property.......

NOTHING LIKE A FREE LUNCH, IT RETURNS BACK TO HUNT YOU, LIKE A FISH BONE, STUCK IN YOUR THROAT....... grin

Loan tí di, ègùngun ẹja....... tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by KOVIC19COVID20: 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

You wanted the bank to send you official mail to your Nigeria address?

I would contact the debt collection agency, agree on a repayment plan. And take it from there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:15pm On Jun 19, 2021
KOVIC19COVID20:

You wanted the bank to send you official mail to your Nigeria address?

I would contact the debt collection agency, agree on a repayment plan. And take it from there.

Repayment plan, when she never enter UK, get a job (paying in £), settle down, breath small..... Then face consequences......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

Whatever you do, avoid any financial connection with your husband, so as not to mess up his own credit rating as well. Like others have said, make the necessary arrangements to settle your debt when you return to the country, while you rely on your husband to apply for any credit products, rent, etc., until your own rating is back on track.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2021
[quote author=lightest post=102885779][/quote]

Baalę of Norwich grin grin grin

So, because your madam is the principal, you don’t have a say in the affairs of your home? In Falz’s voice, “is it a prison something”?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by missjekyll: 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ilekokonit:

Kikiki. Apart from a touch of diarrhea,how would this affect me?

For some it helps reshape thinking but interview secured visas and the stock of Nigerians in the UK kept getting degraded and he heard the owner on the phone with her jazz man in Nigeria asking him what amount of the "stuff" he gave her she should put into the soup. Luckily for us, that restaurant has also closed down now.

So, the moral of the story is that you may actually find more decent people in Nigeria than some Nigerians living in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ilekokonit: 7:11pm On Jun 19, 2021
wealthtrak:

Ok let me clarify my thinking.

There are Nigerian restaurants in London whose owners put stuff from one "baba" in Nigeria in the food they sell to innocent Nigerians as an acquaintance once walked in on a woman who owns a restaurant we used to go to when the woman was on the phone to the "baba" in Nigeria asking how much of the stuff "baba" gave her she should put into the soup she is selling to the public.

I heard of a woman who took her huge British telecom phone bill to a White Garment pastor for consultations and prayers so that BT will reduce or forget about the bill and there are White Garment pastors in London who pray for fraudsters so that they will not be caught and i know a Bros in London who before he got married sent the prospective babes photographs to his brother in Nigeria asking him to consult 5 Babalawo's, 5 Imams and 5 pastors for "prayers" to see which of the babes is his future wife and the same bros said he once went onto London bridge in the dead of the night to take a "recommended" spiritual bath washing himself from head to toe with water and the old Nigerian 5 kobo (called sisi) on top of London bridge in the dead of the night.

Some of the Naija women in Manchester when they fall out and start recording slander videos against one another also expose what some of them get up to in Manchester and there is one who accused her erstwhile friend who is a caterer of putting the food she is selling to order into her bath, stripping off all her clothes, stand in the bath over the food and washing her privates over the food before then cooking it and delivering the order to the Nigerian who ordered the food for his or her party. I don't know if this one is true but this is from a beef video they recorded when the fell out and the video is most likely still on Youtube but i can't remember which one it is now.

So, these are just some of the things I've seen and heard in London in my time here and you just never know if that so called friend (old ones or new ones) is putting stuff into your food or drink when you go visiting them and the best thing to do in such instances is to make such friends know that you don't subscribe to fetishness or consulting sooth sayers and in any case such friendships can not stand the test of time unless you also believe in consulting sooth sayers.

So, its the fetishness some Nigerians abroad indulge in that i am calling out. If you visit a lot of barber shops and Naija restaurants / beer parlours in areas of London densely populated with Nigerians, sit down and just spend some time listening to people, you will marvel at what some Nigerians in London get up to and all indications are that Nigerians in manchester and Ireland are probably worse than the ones in london.

I hear and see a lot of things as Nigerian restaurants and Beer Parlors used to be like a second home to me (and probably still is) as I've not cooked since I came back from Naija in 2008 and because I work very long hours and don't have my first meal until after work, I spend quite a lot of time in Nigerian Restaurants over the past 13 years and some of the things I've seen and heard about Nigerians in London is better left imagined and being that London never really used to be like this 20 something years ago, I'm always comparing and contrasting the Nigerians in London then versus some of the ones I meet now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:17pm On Jun 19, 2021
icon8:

Whatever you do, avoid any financial connection with your husband, so as not to mess up his own credit rating as well. Like others have said, make the necessary arrangements to settle your debt when you return to the country, while you rely on your husband to apply for any credit products, rent, etc., until your own rating is back on track.

Let's hope, he also did not forget his loans and credit cards....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 7:35pm On Jun 19, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

When walking down the road and you see a black guy in a vehicle of 3,000 cc and above, they're most likely to be a Nigerian.
Where two or three Nigerians previously unknown to each other are gathered in the abroad, the conversational icebreakers are football, then cars.

That will be me. grin

I live in the NE though. I probably do about 600miles per week travelling between jobs in the NE. I think this debate regarding a car being a luxury item is only applicable in London. In most parts of the North, a decent car is a necessity. The places that pay good rates, especially for those professionals in healthcare, are located in far flung absolute sheeit-holes in the middle of nowhere. You can't get there in a bus/train.

The wider debate about Nigerians who like to show off is a bit stereotypical in my opinion. The white millionaire who chooses not to drive because he/she believes a car is a luxury probably spends thousands on a holiday every 6 months. They are happy to spend thousands on dog/cat maintenance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 7:39pm On Jun 19, 2021
7barz:
Hi @thegurus

I would like to know if

You can choose to pay off the debt OR you can wait till 6 years after the default is registered on your credit report for it to drop off automatically.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 7:43pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Perhaps she meant to say she hoped the bank and credit card company forgot about the loan.
I once told a friend in my school to respect the 20hr work restriction so he is not caught, which might jeopardise his chance of getting a visa should he choose to continue his education. He said he will not comeback to the UK to study so he didn't care. Fortunately he wasn't caught but he came back a year or two later to further his education. Never say never. For some, they go back home thinking they will not return and then their jobs back home decides to send them back either for training or assignment. That's when the "had I known" cry begins.
Hopefully this lady and her husband have enough to clear the debt and move on with their lives.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:48pm On Jun 19, 2021
dustydee:

Perhaps she meant to say she hoped the bank and credit card company forgot about the loan.
I once told a friend in my school to respect the 20hr work restriction so he is not caught, which might jeopardise his chance of getting a visa should he choose to continue his education. He said he will not comeback to the UK to study so he didn't care. Fortunately he wasn't caught but he came back a year or two later to further his education. Never say never. For some, they go back home thinking they will not return and then their jobs back home decides to send them back either for training or assignment. That's when the "had I known" cry begins.
Hopefully this lady and her husband have enough to clear the debt and move on with their lives.

Indeed....... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:49pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ilekokonit:

Ok let me clarify my thinking.

There are Nigerian restaurants in London whose owners put stuff from one "baba" in Nigeria in the food they sell to innocent Nigerians as an acquaintance once walked in on a woman who owns a restaurant we used to go to when the woman was on the phone to the "baba" in Nigeria asking how much of the stuff "baba" gave her she should put into the soup she is selling to the public.

I heard of a woman who took her huge British telecom phone bill to a White Garment pastor for consultations and prayers so that BT will reduce or forget about the bill and there are White Garment pastors in London who pray for fraudsters so that they will not be caught and i know a Bros in London who before he got married sent the prospective babes photographs to his brother in Nigeria asking him to consult 5 Babalawo's, 5 Imams and 5 pastors for "prayers" to see which of the babes is his future wife and the same bros said he once went onto London bridge in the dead of the night to take a "recommended" spiritual bath washing himself from head to toe with water and the old Nigerian 5 kobo (called sisi) on top of London bridge in the dead of the night.

Some of the Naija women in Manchester when they fall out and start recording slander videos against one another also expose what some of them get up to in Manchester and there is one who accused her erstwhile friend who is a caterer of putting the food she is selling to order into her bath, stripping off all her clothes, stand in the bath over the food and washing her privates over the food before then cooking it and delivering the order to the Nigerian who ordered the food for his or her party. I don't know if this one is true but this is from a beef video they recorded when the fell out and the video is most likely still on Youtube but i can't remember which one it is now.

So, these are just some of the things I've seen and heard in London in my time here and you just never know if that so called friend (old ones or new ones) is putting stuff into your food or drink when you go visiting them and the best thing to do in such instances is to make such friends know that you don't subscribe to fetishness or consulting sooth sayers and in any case such friendships can not stand the test of time unless you also believe in consulting sooth sayers.

So, its the fetishness some Nigerians abroad indulge in that i am calling out. If you visit a lot of barber shops and Naija restaurants / beer parlours in areas of London densely populated with Nigerians, sit down and just spend some time listening to people, you will marvel at what some Nigerians in London get up to and all indications are that Nigerians in manchester and Ireland are probably worse than the ones in london.

I hear and see a lot of things as Nigerian restaurants and Beer Parlors used to be like a second home to me[i] (and probably still is) [/i] as I've not cooked since I came back from Naija in 2008 and because I work very long hours and don't have my first meal until after work, I spend quite a lot of time in Nigerian Restaurants over the past 13 years and some of the things I've seen and heard about Nigerians in London is better left imagined and being that London never really used to be like this 20 something years ago, I'm always comparing and contrasting the Nigerians in London then versus some of the ones I meet now.

This one off me grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:51pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lexusgs430:

That would be termed “gobe” or “double wahala for dedi bodi” grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:53pm On Jun 19, 2021
claremont:

You can choose to pay off the debt OR you can wait till 6 years after the default is registered on your credit report for it to drop off automatically.

Dropping off, is a fallacy (in my opinion)..... Although debt can no longer be registered again, they simply sell the debt on (new buyer would keep chasing)......

And would still negatively impact on credit history (making you a sub prime customer)........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:54pm On Jun 19, 2021
icon8:

That would be termed “gobe” or “double wahala for dedi bodi” grin

Plus the owner of dedi bodi........ wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 8:06pm On Jun 19, 2021
icon8:

This one off me grin grin grin

E off me too grin cheesy … Dear poster, have you heard of Yumchop? You can now do a subscription for fantastic Naija meals. If you’re interested tell me and I’ll paste my referral link. Very good service.

Pele.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:27pm On Jun 19, 2021
Phrankleen is firing today o....... grin

He is streaming live now, if you are off work ...... Enjoy a Blue Therapy Session....... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (666) (667) (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.