Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (717) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306620 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Optimally: 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2021
Vooom:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Still have a long way to ILR

reasoning changing job role within the NHS to one i am better interested in or even moving to a more exciting location

ABI MAKE I JUST MARRY KUKU TURN DEPENDENT

my head just spinning
Might not be a bad idea, but shine ya eye well o, having a partner and being a dependant is a good way to go, but if you're not ready to be married yet and you just wanna get married to enable you become a dependant, man, marriage is not as easy as it seem o, at this point, I will say, ask God for directions and best way to go

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TosinKate(f): 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2021
Many thanks for this kind gesture, Tobexin. I have tried to reach out some weeks back but no response. I will still send new one right away.
God bless.

Tobexin:
I am in Middlesbrough. Dm me will link you up with agent
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by elisinho(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2021
Please any one on this forum that is in sunderland I will appreciate a little guide on some things
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tobexin(m): 10:36pm On Jul 30, 2021
elisinho:
Please any one on this forum that is in sunderland I will appreciate a little guide on some things
what do you intend to know about sunderland?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 10:36pm On Jul 30, 2021
elisinho:

I studied (2 post-graduate degrees) and lived there many years ago and had a house there at some point. It's a quintessential North East town with some parts socioeconomically deprived whist others are relatively middle-class. The university is great, albeit lowly ranked. I still have fond memories of that town having worked various unskilled and skilled roles there.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:55am On Jul 31, 2021
TosinKate:
Thanks for this.

To be candid, most of the 'cheap' Airbnb is not truly reasonable to 'us'. The least one I got for a 2-week stay is £1100. That may likely be our last option if there is no positive outcomes at the end.

Gratitude once more.

Wooooow thats alot oo,… with 1100 you can get a 1 bed self in london for a month
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Raalsalghul: 2:42am On Jul 31, 2021
dupyshoo:
Seriously!!! Prenup on top of how much?
Fresh blood!!!! Mscheew!!! I comment my reserve.

Pray! Do tell, state your reserve. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rabola1(f): 7:40am On Jul 31, 2021
Abeg my people, getting accommodation in Portsmouth has not being easy, please is there any serious landlord or letting agency here that can be of help. Its really frustrating. We need two bedroom flat for a family of 4. Please kindly contact. Thanks ooo
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 10:15am On Jul 31, 2021
I totally understand how you feel. Was in similar situation when I was on Tier 2. I was so miserable Not health related job though. It was difficult for me to change job due to sponsorship. Had to endure for 5 years. That is history now as I have changed my profession twice now since ILR. I reject offers now. So, if you are able to endure, I will advise you, like someone said in previous posts that you start working towards the required certification/qualifications for the jobs you want. Look for vacancies in those areas you mentioned and start preparing yourself for the roles.

Meanwhile, you should also try to apply for vacancies in the type of roles you mentioned if you think you meet the requirements. The worst you will get is rejection. This will in no way affect your current job but will give you experience of how to answer interview questions.

The summary of my advice is this: keep chasing your dream job, don't give up. Don't be afraid of rejection.

Vooom:
Public health kinda jobs
Program design and management
NGO sorta stuffs
Not sure if i have communicated whats in my head.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:38am On Jul 31, 2021
Can anyone advice me from experience the minimum proof of funds to invite my parents to the UK for 2 weeks?

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ocpaschal: 12:03pm On Jul 31, 2021
Hello Guys! Is it possible to be granted CAS in Chester
University even if you missed the CAS deadline? Pls this is
urgent! Is there any hope or chance for me to obtain CAS in
Chester Uni after d stipulated CAS deadline date has passed
(due to late 28days countdown period)? I'm going to start my 28days countdown on 2nd August when my sponsor (parent) would receive sufficient funds but Chester University's CAS deadline is 24th August for my course. Pls has anyone
experienced this before in Chester or elsewhere
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by tushqueen(f): 12:18pm On Jul 31, 2021
rabola1:
Abeg my people, getting accommodation in Portsmouth has not being easy, please is there any serious landlord or letting agency here that can be of help. Its really frustrating. We need two bedroom flat for a family of 4. Please kindly contact. Thanks ooo

Hi, it can be very difficult getting a house as a new tenant in the UK. What eventually worked for me and a number of friends is to commit some rent ahead of time. Tell them you are willing to pay for 3/6maths ahead plus deposit depending on how cheap/expensive it is. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 12:22pm On Jul 31, 2021
Used savings account of about £5k to invite my mum for 3 months. I intentionally started putting £400 into a savings account for about a year. I stated that in the application. Had to include my payslips, though I did not show my salary account. I also included my mortgage statement to prove accommodation. Said she wanted to come and spend some time with me, my husband and her grandchildren. She was given 10 year visa. She had to include her statement of account though, which had about 1m but I stated I will sponsor her whole trip. Breakdown of cost for me was about £1500. Also note that she has travel history to UK and other countries. Maybe that influenced the approval.

sgtponzihater1:
Can anyone advice me from experience the minimum proof of funds to invite my parents to the UK for 2 weeks?

Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by SamReinvented: 12:24pm On Jul 31, 2021
ocpaschal:
Hello Guys! Is it possible to be granted CAS in Chester
University even if you missed the CAS deadline? Pls this is
urgent! Is there any hope or chance for me to obtain CAS in
Chester Uni after d stipulated CAS deadline date has passed
(due to late 28days countdown period)? I'm going to start my 28days countdown on 2nd August when my sponsor (parent) would receive sufficient funds but Chester University's CAS deadline is 24th August for my course. Pls has anyone
experienced this before in Chester or elsewhere

Let the university know about your situation, they are in the best position to answer you. Also, they might even be willing to be a bit flexible for you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Bonn2007: 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
Good day y'all,

I'll like to make some inquiries about life in the UK.
What benefits does someone with ILR have over a Tier 2 Visa holder?
Are Tier 2 Visa holders eligible for childbenefits?
Does the percentage of tax deduction reduce as couples start having kids?
Can a family of 4 people( 2kids) be sustained solely on a Doctor's salary in the UK?

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:04pm On Jul 31, 2021
dupyshoo:
Used savings account of about £5k to invite my mum for 3 months. I intentionally started putting £400 into a savings account for about a year. I stated that in the application. Had to include my payslips, though I did not show my salary account. I also included my mortgage statement to prove accommodation. Said she wanted to come and spend some time with me, my husband and her grandchildren. She was given 10 year visa. She had to include her statement of account though, which had about 1m but I stated I will sponsor her whole trip. Breakdown of cost for me was about £1500. Also note that she has travel history to UK and other countries. Maybe that influenced the approval.

Perfect. She was given 10years at once?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 31, 2021
dupyshoo:

Woow 10 years. Did you need to explain why she was applying for 10 years visa?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2021
dupyshoo:

Wow did you need to explain why she applied for 10 years
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ocpaschal: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2021
SamReinvented:

Let the university know about your situation, they are in the best position to answer you. Also, they might even be willing to be a bit flexible for you.
Ok.. to be honest, I was really shocked when i heard lately that a sponsor must be only parent or self (not even relatives or uncle). So I am just about to transfer d required money sum to my parent bank acct to start d compulsory 28days period.. it's recent that i got to know this. And now d CAS deadline is on d 24th Aug
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 6:11pm On Jul 31, 2021
Not at all. She had got 6 month, 2 year and 5 year visit visas in that order. We just felt it will be more cost effective to go with 10
-year visit visa.
Irenenwaka:

Wow did you need to explain why she applied for 10 years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by rabola1(f): 8:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
Thanks

tushqueen:

Hi, it can be very difficult getting a house as a new tenant in the UK. What eventually worked for me and a number of friends is to commit some rent ahead of time. Tell them you are willing to pay for 3/6maths ahead plus deposit depending on how cheap/expensive it is. Cheers
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yunqdady: 8:06am On Aug 01, 2021
UK is advanced glorified Lagos? Huh
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 11:22am On Aug 01, 2021
Tobexin:
I am in Middlesbrough. Dm me will link you up with agent

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by harrrry: 11:42am On Aug 01, 2021
Good morning all. Any nairalander going to University of Bath or already in Bath?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by lightest(m): 3:58pm On Aug 01, 2021
yunqdady:
UK is advanced glorified Lagos? Huh

Don't die of envy. Work on ur life

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Glass123: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2021
Hello
Good evening house
Please how do Nigerian students there buy things from the store . Can you use your naira debit cards or when I get there I can immediately get a pounds card I can use. Particularly because of this limit on naira cards.
Please how do I go about this?
Thankyou
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by JustAPasserBy: 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2021
Glass123:
Hello
Good evening house
Please how do Nigerian students there buy things from the store . Can you use your naira debit cards or when I get there I can immediately get a pounds card I can use. Particularly because of this limit on naira cards.
Please how do I go about this?
Thankyou

With ur NAIJA card, u can only withdraw about £60 every month.
Go to Aboki & change all ur naira into pounds. Travel to the UK with the cash in your pocket. (If the cash is up to 10,000 u.s Dollars, you will have to declare it).
Once you arrive and complete your registration as a student ( this will normally not take more than 25 minutes in normal times). Then you can get a letter of introduction from your school, then open a bank account. Then deposit all your cash there .

Alternatively, as soon as you arrive and get your BRP, download an app and see if any of the challenger banks will be game. Eg: Monzo, Starling, Pockit, Revolut, etc…

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Preshyi: 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2021
I already have a dollar account, please does it mean I need to buy pounds all through?
TheGuyFromHR:

If you are asking how you can bring your naira out of Nigeria, you can either convert it to pounds and carry all/part of it in cash with you (check limits for declaring funds) or convert it to pounds and pay all/part of it into a sterling-domiciliary account to draw from when you get to the UK. A sterling card can only be tied to a sterling-denominated account.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wiselong: 1:36am On Aug 02, 2021
For those that have travelled to Nigeria recently, Which of the private lab centre in Abuja is reliable for the COVID PCR Test? I just need a good recommendation before paying for the Day 7 test in Nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 3:36am On Aug 02, 2021
Preshyi:
I already have a dollar account, please does it mean I need to buy pounds all through?

You can buy dollars if you like, but its better you buy pounds with naira directly, as conversion rates on dollar to pound exchanges are not always favourable and there are fees for withdrawing as well.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yunqdady: 6:07am On Aug 02, 2021
lightest:

Don't die of envy. Work on ur life
Lmao. Why the attack? It was a question shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by icon8: 7:00am On Aug 02, 2021
yunqdady:

Lmao. Why the attack? It was a question shocked shocked shocked
It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubts. That question, if it was indeed a question, was a foolish one! How is asking if “the UK is an advanced glorified Lagos” a sensible thing to do on a “Living in the UK” thread? What sort of reaction were you expecting to draw?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.