Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (718) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309976 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by hustla(m): 8:44am On Aug 02, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

You can buy dollars if you like, but its better you buy pounds with naira directly, as conversion rates on dollar to pound exchanges are not always favourable and there are fees for withdrawing as well.

Just got my card too

So its better to buy GBP and deposit into the other account straight

Does it mean conversion will be done straight by the bank?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Emeraldvoque: 9:57am On Aug 02, 2021
Hi everyone, please I need some GBP. @omopapa please check your email.
Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by omopapa: 10:52am On Aug 02, 2021
I have replied

Emeraldvoque:
Hi everyone, please I need some GBP. @omopapa please check your email.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Swizken9: 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2021
Hi guys, please I am moving to Hatfield, Hertfordshire in 20days time, I am looking for someone already in Hatfield or Luton willing to accommodate a fresh or someone who needs a roommate, we could split the rent money
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Faithluv5(f): 2:48pm On Aug 02, 2021
Hi guys. Please I just got my uk visa. Will be leaving this August. My passport will expire by June next year. Please How's the renewal of our Nigerian passport over there? Please is it fast?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Glass123: 3:37pm On Aug 02, 2021
I’m
JustAPasserBy:

With ur NAIJA card, u can only withdraw about £60 every month.
Go to Aboki & change all ur naira into pounds. Travel to the UK with the cash in your pocket. (If the cash is up to 10,000 u.s Dollars, you will have to declare it).
Once you arrive and complete your registration as a student ( this will normally not take more than 25 minutes in normal times). Then you can get a letter of introduction from your school, then open a bank account. Then deposit all your cash there .

Alternatively, as soon as you arrive and get your BRP, download an app and see if any of the challenger banks will be game. Eg: Monzo, Starling, Pockit, Revolut, etc…

Please if I eventually open those monzo and revolut and others how will it be funded? with cash in your hand or transfer from nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by canadaishome: 4:13pm On Aug 02, 2021
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 5:05pm On Aug 02, 2021
Stressful especially if you don't live in London. Not sure of the speed now but the last time I checked, there was huge backlog due to covid.

Faithluv5:
Hi guys. Please I just got my uk visa. Will be leaving this August. My passport will expire by June next year. Please How's the renewal of our Nigerian passport over there? Please is it fast?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Omah7979: 5:44pm On Aug 02, 2021
Hello guys, more visas in this platform, I’ve a question, Is it possible to file for my spouse as a dependent on PSW visa, my program is ending October. He read pharmacy and in Nigeria, is there a chance getting a job and is it possible switching our visa if he gets a job. NB we’re just engaged but planning on getting married January.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 5:58pm On Aug 02, 2021
Omah7979:
Hello guys, more visas in this platform, I’ve a question, Is it possible to file for my spouse as a dependent on PSW visa, my program is ending October. He read pharmacy and in Nigeria, is there a chance getting a job and is it possible switching our visa if he gets a job. NB we’re just engaged but planning on getting married January.

Any Dependant that is not currently on your t4 cant be on your PSW.

I think.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yunqdady: 6:13pm On Aug 02, 2021
icon8:

It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubts. That question, if it was indeed a question, was a foolish one! How is asking if “the UK is an advanced glorified Lagos” a sensible thing to do on a “Living in the UK” thread? What sort of reaction were you expecting to draw?
Are you done crying?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Glass123: 6:53pm On Aug 02, 2021
JustAPasserBy:

With ur NAIJA card, u can only withdraw about £60 every month.
Go to Aboki & change all ur naira into pounds. Travel to the UK with the cash in your pocket. (If the cash is up to 10,000 u.s Dollars, you will have to declare it).
Once you arrive and complete your registration as a student ( this will normally not take more than 25 minutes in normal times). Then you can get a letter of introduction from your school, then open a bank account. Then deposit all your cash there
Alternatively, as soon as you arrive and get your BRP, download an app and see if any of the challenger banks will be game. Eg: Monzo, Starling, Pockit, Revolut, etc…

Please if I eventually open those monzo and revolut and others how will it be funded? with cash in your hand or transfer from nigeria.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2021
Those willing to relocate to the UK, hoping to stay with family members........

A good watch ....... I can only imagine the content of conversations...........

9ja no be UK (wey una go jus go siddon), dey send una money go 9ja, whilst your host, slaves away ....... grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhq6dRgIjY

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Santa2: 7:46pm On Aug 02, 2021
umarwy:

I think.

@Omah7979 Your dependant can get on your tier 4 now, you still have a year on your brp. But they need to be in-country( in the uk) while you apply for PSW otherwise they can't get on. You can get further clarification from your school immigration unit.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Faithluv5(f): 7:46pm On Aug 02, 2021
Na wa o
dupyshoo:
Stressful especially if you don't live in London. Not sure of the speed now but the last time I checked, there was huge backlog due to covid.

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2021
Glass123:

Either.
Monzo hasn't got branches, it has designated partner locations where you can pay in cash.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by TheGuyFromHR: 7:57pm On Aug 02, 2021
Faithluv5:

It's a typically Nigerian process, that's what it is.
The embassy says there's a walk-in process for a 100 pounds, perhaps if someone's tried that they can give us feedback.
Best bet - as you enter the UK in August, sign up and pay for a renewal on the Innovate/NIS website. Then given the current 10 - month backlogs, your turn will probably arrive by the time your passport is expiring in June.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Glass123: 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheGuyFromHR:

Either.
Monzo hasn't got branches, it has designated partner locations where you can pay in cash.

Thankyou
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ocpaschal: 9:11pm On Aug 02, 2021
Pls o.. I'm trying to understand something.. Concerning that 28 days period, is it compulsory for my sponsor (parent) to hold the money in her own salary bank account in particular? Isn't this possible for my sponsor (parent) to hold d money for 28days in her second bank account? Also, is it true that there are specific banks that can only be used to make the deposit fee payment?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Omah7979: 10:23pm On Aug 02, 2021
Santa2:

@Omah7979 Your dependant can get on your tier 4 now, you still have a year on your brp. But they need to be in-country( in the uk) while you apply for PSW otherwise they can't get on. You can get further clarification from your school immigration unit.
. Thank you!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Omah7979: 10:24pm On Aug 02, 2021
umarwy:

I think.
thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 1:06am On Aug 03, 2021
Omah7979:

Yes and yes, but it depends. He has to get the requisite grade on IELTS, submit all necessary paperwork from Nigeria to the GPhC here. He will then receive approval to undergo the OSPAP conversion course. I would strongly advise that whilst he is currently in Nigeria, he should start doing research on the OSPAP conversion course requirements. If he fails to plan this critical step, he might end up working for years in an unskilled role as a dispenser in the UK, a bit like a doctor working as a healthcare assistant.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olaness: 7:18am On Aug 03, 2021
Guidance needed, our Ancients! Securing accommodation has really been a great challenge for my husband and I. We are a family of four. His school is in Bradford.
Now my uncle is strongly suggesting we stay in Manchester and my husband who is the student takes the train to Bradford to attend classes. A little more than an hour journey. My uncle has in-laws in Manchester who are already working on getting accommodation for us in Manchester.

Our concerns are:
* The accommodation is a room in a shared flat. (rem, we are a family of four) they say it's doable.
* Manchester is more expensive than Bradford and living costs and childcare are likely to be more expensive too.
* Are there informal arrangements for childcare that will be much cheaper, as this is what my uncle is suggesting?
* If we get airbnb in Bradford for 20 days, are we likely to secure an apartment before the end of the 20 days stay?
* We would really have preferred to be in Bradford, but they are saying that we are going to experience more racism there especially as there are more Pakistanis and Indians there, so finding work will be a challenge.

What can we do please? We need all the guidance and advice we can get. Especially as we are relocating with our kids and want the best option possible.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 7:33am On Aug 03, 2021
olaness:

What can we do please? We need all the guidance and advice we can get. Especially as we are relocating with our kids and want the best option possible.

Madam in my opinion even though Bradford is a shithole town. It will be cheaper, and more convenient for you and your family than living in 2 double room in a shared flat with your husband and 2 children.The wahalla you go face for that arrangement go worse pass racism oh. Your husband can get to university easier and your kids can integrate easier in Bradford. Talking about “racism”, there are Asians also in Manchester, everybody experiences a bit of racism even the white people. You can get a decent 2 bed accommodation in the outskirts of Bradford/ Halifax which would be comfortable for your family of 4. If you are not happy after 3 months when you guys must have settled down you can change houses….. my humble submission

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:02am On Aug 03, 2021
Glass123:

You can pay your wages directly, send account number, Iban and sort code & make payments via any pay point location..........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olaness: 9:32am On Aug 03, 2021
Irenenwaka:

Getting accommodation whilst abroad can be challenging, also some properties don’t allow kids as well. So thats double challenge. Your best bet would be book a cheap airbnb then when you arrive the city take your time to search.

Typically, how long will it take to get accommodation when one arrives? So that one doesn't get stuck, having to pay for airbnb for prolonged periods of time?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wallg123: 9:37am On Aug 03, 2021
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=104360681]

Where did you find this ijebu man grin..
Sadly almost everything he said is the truth
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olaness: 10:08am On Aug 03, 2021
wallg123:

Madam in my opinion even though Bradford is a shithole town. It will be cheaper, and more convenient for you and your family than living in 2 double room in a shared flat with your husband and 2 children.The wahalla you go face for that arrangement go worse pass racism oh. Your husband can get to university easier and your kids can integrate easier in Bradford. Talking about “racism”, there are Asians also in Manchester, everybody experiences a bit of racism even the white people. You can get a decent 2 bed accommodation in the outskirts of Bradford/ Halifax which would be comfortable for your family of 4. If you are not happy after 3 months when you guys must have settled down you can change houses….. my humble submission

Thank you for your honest opinion. Those are my thoughts too.

But we are worried about having to experience prolonged delays securing accommodation in Bradford if we go with airbnb. Are you in Bradford or know agents or landlords you can link me up with, please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 11:30am On Aug 03, 2021
Lexusgs430:

9ja no be UK (wey una go jus go siddon), dey send una money go 9ja, whilst your host, slaves away ....... grin

I laughed watching this but there's a lot of truth in what he said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by umarwy(m): 12:32pm On Aug 03, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Me na to rent abnb oh, pay for 2-4 weeks .

If you like don't fine a way to settle.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 12:55pm On Aug 03, 2021
hi,

Thanks for all the knowledge received.

Please i have some questions:

- I applied for Provisional license and got something in the postcode asking i send in my BRP, passport pics, etc.. I was to travel in 2weeks time so i couldn't follow up with the application. Do i get the 34 pounds back? [/b]or [b]can i just re-apply when i know i wont be travelling? i dont have any means of contacting them..

- I also checked the naija portal where you pay for the Day7 covid test before leaving UK.. when i select Lagos, i dont see the list of covid test providers.. this is strange as the other states display the list of covid test providers.. How does one manage that?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2021
Goodafternoon. I applied for my younger sister for 6 months visiting visa but she was refused. She is a graduate, worked with a private hospital in Nigeria for 1 year prior to January 2021. She left her job, moved to stay with my Parents as Home Care Assistant because they are old and now wanted to visit for holiday. I and My husband are sponsoring her trip but I was disappointed based on the reason for refusing her visa. Why are they interested in her bank details ??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.