Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,402 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" (11317 Views)

My Story Of Sexual Harrassment By Women / Hijab Doesn't Stop Sexual Harrassment- Muslim Lady Cries Out / Lets Talk About What Constitutes Sexual Harrassment And Rape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Mynd44: 6:23am On Nov 22, 2017
In the days leading to Ake Arts and Literature Festival, there was a huge rumble. Apparently, one of the darlings of the literati had put up a series of posts questions why in cases of sexual harrassament (for the sake of this post, harrassment will include rape, DV and all other disgusting behavior related to it), there is a huge rush to support the victim and shame the accussed even without caring to know or find out if the accusation is false.

Nnedi okorafor had dared to question why people who are accussed of sexual harassment are suddenly demonized without anyone trying to follow the general rule of "innocent until proven guilty". The horror, the hell, the fights, the drawn lines that came as a result was so much she, in all her powers, strength, intelligence and beauty had to delete the tweets which basically is a form of "running back to your house to hide under your parent's bed after you have been flogged" and even after that, some people had planned to call her out during the festival

But really?

American movie director, Emily Lindin last night in a series of tweets said that she is willing to accept that innocent people accused of harrassment will be jailed, lose jobs and respects, lose value, lose family, lose their names etc because too many women have been victims of harrassments and if innocent people are hit in the process of fighting this, then fine. So basically, to her, if you are accused of harrassment, you did it and she is willing to join the bandwagon to fight you, trend your name, make you lose your job, possibly lose your family and if you can't stand the shame and take your own life, oops.

Now, as much as I find punisment by social media very effective and it has helped a lot of people get justice in the sense of naming and shamming, the attitude of "if he/she was accused of it, I will assume the person did it and fight the person without prove" is scary because the court of public opinion is harsh. You can lose everything in hours and never get a chance to take it back even if you are found to be innocent.

I believe that in fighting evil, we should not create another form of evil. In fighting patriarchy, don't let us create some hedious monster to take its place. Yes, I understand that sexual harrassment is hell and it has to be fought but I believe there are better ways to fight it than put the innocent on the line saying "they are collacteral damage" we as feminists have to do better, we have to do more. If we want to replace a system which we have found to be corrupt, shameful, disgusting and needing a total change, we need to replace it with a system where almost no one is a victim or bystander who was hit by a stray bullet. We as feminists need to demand more from ourselves the same way we demand more from other. Call out the bullshit in our ranks because this bullshit will simply derail progress.

You ask why it will derail progress? a lot of people who are accused of harrassment actually did it (going by percentages) but when innocent people get shamed by this new system of justice, there will be a reaction, a backlash, a call to order by the authorities. Laws will be made, consequencies will be fuxed and guess what it will be against? This gag will not just be against calling out people who are accused but innocent but against all forms of calling out. Soon, it will be illegal to publicly accuse anyone of these things except you go through some government stipulated process just because some people dont have the sense to draw lines.

To the Kings out there, you are Kings. Act like Kings, dont do these yama yama things, hold your heads high, wear your crown with pride and dont get stained because of a few minutes of pleasure.

To the Queens, be brave, strong, break boundaries, refuse to be limited by society, draw your own limits yourself and flourish in your own success.

Mynd Out

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobodys(f): 6:24am On Nov 22, 2017
op. nice article ... buh wrong topic.... like I don't understand what feminism has got to do with this.
yes soooo many people get accused wrongly and it's always bad ...
In d case of rape. what a guy should do is be smart..... be vigilant and try to create proof of your innocence.... that way no one can accuse you.....

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Bigbeard(m): 6:26am On Nov 22, 2017
Interesting.

I hope this thread isn't about Ake festival because mentioning it corroded the topic at hand.
Nobodys:

Anyways, I look forward to read what the Angelic spacebooker ahead of me has to say.

If she's intelligent enough, I might just take her home to mama before this year runs out. cheesy

Edit...

Since this topic is about rape, and my new catch has expressly bared her mind on this topic with a very smart advice.

I will share a little experience I had regarding that.

I once had a female friend I just got acquinted to, one day I visited her in the hostel and one thing led to another that left us alone in the room with doors locked and lights switched off. I was lying next to her in bed too scared to even make a move because not too long ago, a student had been accused of raping a female in her room.

Nothing eventually happened and I passed up the chance to get laid.

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobodys(f): 6:34am On Nov 22, 2017
Bigbeard:
Interesting.

I hope this thread isn't about Ake festival because mentioning it corroded the topic at hand.

Anyways, I look forward to read what the Angelic spacebooker ahead of me has to say.

If she's intelligent enough, I might just take her home to mama before this year runs out. cheesy
lolzx.... I have read the thread over and over and still don't know what to say oo.....
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by UbanmeUdie: 6:35am On Nov 22, 2017
shocked

Sexual defilement and harassment in any form is a crime believed to be perpetuated mostly by the male folks. The statistics supports this claim, which I cannot differ from in the real sense of it.

Every man accused of a crime is always guilty until proven innocent.

Whereas, every woman accused of a crime is always Innocent until proven guilty.

Na so life be.

It is the cross every man will have to carry and the favour every woman will have to enjoy.

Life is never fair to men!
It will be foolishness not to accept this painful truth.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Bigbeard(m): 6:35am On Nov 22, 2017
Nobodys:
lolzx.... I have read the thread over and over and still don't know what to say oo.....

Perhaps we can discuss this privately. I'd like to have.an Angelic view on a few other topics. grin
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by NairalandCS(m): 6:38am On Nov 22, 2017
If I talk my mind now, i fit collect ban. lipsrsealed

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 22, 2017
mehn... nice article, but a perfect world is mere fantasy, people will always be victims of the sins they did not commit.

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobodys(f): 6:42am On Nov 22, 2017
Bigbeard:

Perhaps we can discuss this privately. I'd like to have.an Angelic view on a few other topics. grin
lolxzz. will prefer here.

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Mynd44: 6:43am On Nov 22, 2017
walcut:
mehn... nice article, but a perfect world is mere fantasy, people will always be victims of the sins they did not commit.
But we need to reduce victims to the smallest minimum. When people make statements like they are okay with it means they are not prepared to make the struggle better

5 Likes

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 22, 2017

I haven't seen anything new in this post.

Just a recycled fact. mtchew....
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Bigbeard(m): 6:44am On Nov 22, 2017
Nobodys:
lolxzz. will prefer here.

Oh really! So you want us to derail this thread while I bare my scintillating opinion in full public glare?
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by tosyne2much(m): 6:51am On Nov 22, 2017
Rape accusation is a very bad one but the most saddening thing is that some people are wrongly accused of rape but are never given the chance to prove their innocence.

In fact, even some ladies use "rape accusation" as a tool for shaming and getting back to an offender

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Lionbite(m): 6:55am On Nov 22, 2017
tosyne2much:
Rape accusation is a very bad one but the most saddening thing is that some people are wrongly accused of rape but are never given the chance to prove their innocence.

Even some ladies use "rape accusation" as a tool of getting back to an offender
true

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by coolie1: 6:57am On Nov 22, 2017
x
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 22, 2017
Mynd44 source or sauce
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by MissWrite(f): 6:59am On Nov 22, 2017
You said it already: these convictions aren't made by the courts, but on the streets. They are made because there are too many people (women in particular) who find this a very raw topic which hits a little too close to home. People who're still angry and are looking for scape-goats. Anyone who gets accused of rape is perceived with an anger and disgust that is not limited to the case in point, but with a protracted emotion to encompass the feelings of many abused women and their proxy.

It's like the anger in the streets that leads a mob to lynch a suspected thief even before he's proven guilty. People vent. They're angry and dissatisfied and have been robbed by the system for so long. When they get their hands on anyone (who's easily accessible), they let out their rage.

Like you say, these amount to further social ills. But they are also social reactions that one would normally expect considering the stimuli. You cannot expect to tailor social response with mere appeals, but you can try to eliminate the triggers by dealing decisively with the issues of sexual assault in order to give survivors (political correction for victim. Whatever!) closure and perspective. If people have confidence in the system, they would not misconstrue its lapses as a call to vigilante service, and they can put things in proper perspective. This includes the stringent measures put in place to deter these disgusting acts.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 22, 2017
Good morning world, it's a brand new day grin
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by millionboi2: 6:59am On Nov 22, 2017
If u do, u do m and if u no do, u no do m
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by overhypedsteve(m): 7:00am On Nov 22, 2017
RunMyResearch.com provides research writing services to Graduates and Post Graduates of Nigerian Tertiary Institutions and even boast of having served some foreign customers.

Why use RunMyResearch.com?
1. We write a full, complete project research work for you from your own choose topic or we can get a new and unique topic for you.
2. @ Runmyresearch.com we hate plagiarism and our researchers are strictly warned against generating plagiarized research for our clients. We test all our written work with the latest plagiarism test innovations in the industry.
3. We do not just write your project work for you but we also offer a free review and revision to suit the need of our customer even after we are done with your job.
4. Our price is by far the cheapest in the industry.
5. When you write your project research with https://runmyresearch.com/hire-a-researcher/ you can be sure of the best and this is because most of our researchers are lecturers and authorities in their respective fields.
6. https://runmyresearch.com have a Live chat feature where you can communicate live with the researcher assigned to your work and keep track of the progress of your work.
7. We deliver within schedule. Our researchers work very hard to make sure that we deliver even before the deadline agreed upon.

So what are you waiting for? Join us at https://runmyresearch.com/hire-a-researcher/ and get the very best from your project research writing for post graduate and undergraduates.

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by dingbang(m): 7:01am On Nov 22, 2017
The society has become so bad to the extent that these vices are now seen to be like a norm. The attitude of the society to victims of sexual harassment ain't what I expect it to be as in the days of old. Even to the extent you begin to hear comments like.. 'So is she the first person to be raped on earth"?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Flexherbal(m): 7:01am On Nov 22, 2017
This calls for reflection!
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Desirewealth: 7:01am On Nov 22, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Temple1990: 7:03am On Nov 22, 2017
GUD 2 GO..GUD 2 GO..GUD 2 GO SIR...
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by kay29000(m): 7:03am On Nov 22, 2017
Feminist mafia don't care about innocent until proven guilty, all men are scum to them.

5 Likes

Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobodys(f): 7:04am On Nov 22, 2017
dingbang:
The society has become so bad to the extent that these vices are now seen to be like a norm. The attitude of the society to victims of sexual harassment ain't what I expect it to be as in the days of old. Even to the extent you begin to hear comments like.. 'So is she the first person to be raped on earth"?
dear. you are soooooo right..... and it's soo sad... people no longer take rape victims( male And female)serious and this really affects their whole life and perspective
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by itiswellandwell: 7:05am On Nov 22, 2017
Lemme sit down here. This will be interesting

Check my signature for your quality customised Atm card flash drive and full capacity powerbank.
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 22, 2017
You sound like you know you could be accused of harrasment from your past.
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by HARDLABOR: 7:07am On Nov 22, 2017
To the Queens, be brave, strong, break boundaries, refuse to be limited by society, draw your own limits yourself and flourish in your own success.

I don't really understand the point of this OP
But what I want to talk about is the way some
Girls get themself humiliated by some guys...

I understand that when your parents are poor
It's a bulshit, one has to struggle hard

There's a lots of guys on the street now hustling
Really hard and still maintaining

But on the side of girls it so saddenny how a
Girl will left her home town or herparents in
Search of greener pastures and when things
Doesn't work out the way she planned they
Seem to end up in the hand of some horrible
Guys, all because he (the guy) has an apartment
And they will use the advantage to humiliate them,
Use them has sex slave, starve them and turn them
To a house help.....

Have seen a lots..

They seem hopeless
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by RapportNaija(m): 7:07am On Nov 22, 2017
Hmmm, I'm more concerned about this too. We are talking harassment, and yet you want to go and harass this girl in private! Thank goodness she no just pretty, but get sense. She say 'I prefer here's grin

Nobodys well done oh! Curve that man dear, curve am again cool

See CLEAR SIGNS YOUR BOYFRIEND OR HUSBAND IS CHEATING ON YOU
Re: Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" by quivah(f): 7:09am On Nov 22, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do We Feel Weak After Masturbation But Not After Sex / The Dilemma Of The Single Woman / Price Of Abortions Medicine Mifeprex And Cytotec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.