Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

"Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie (10540 Views)

Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello / Cardinal Okogie To Buhari: "You Must Be A Joker For Thinking Of 2019 Now" / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Omooba77: 6:15am On Nov 29, 2017
A former President, Christian Association of Nigeria, Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, has asked the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari why life is becoming harder for Nigerians after it promised them change.

The former Catholic Archbishop of Lagos asked the question in a piece entitled, ‘The Truth and Nothing But the Truth,’ which was sent to The PUNCH on Tuesday.

Okogie said 2018 was just a few days away but in the horizon of Nigerian politicians, it seemed 2019 would come before 2018.

He said by their speeches, conduct and posture, “even the blind is able to see that preparations for the 2019 elections are already in top gear.”

The outspoken cleric, however, decried that in utter disregard to internal party democracy, candidates and sole candidates were already being endorsed, a development he pointed out did not portray politicians in good light.

“With very few exceptions, they are powermongers pretending to be leaders, parasites posturing as benefactors,” he stated.

Okogie said, “Endemic to our political class is an addiction to power, a chronic deficiency of desire to serve. It is becoming clearer that, for our politicians, being in power takes precedence over service to the people. In another sad reminder that they care less for the people, they are not engaged in discussions on how to alleviate the suffering of the masses, suffering visited on the people by the incompetent leadership of this country.

“Nigerian politicians benefit from a system that places the citizen at a disadvantage. They treat the people with contempt. But we the people too must be responsible for our country. If the political class is out to deceive the people, we must put some questions to our politicians. We must insist on credible answers to a number of pertinent questions.

“What, for example, happened to all the lofty promises made during the campaign season that preceded the 2015 elections? Why are our politicians unwilling to be accountable? Why is transparency in government a taboo? Did they not promise to change this country into a paradise? Why is it, then, that life is getting even harder for the average Nigerian? Why is the level of insecurity so high that people are abducted even from their homes? Why has our country’s leadership failed to create an environment for investments to thrive?”

The cardinal stressed that it was “immoral and reprehensible” that there was a glaring absence of internal democracy in the country’s political parties, while the people seemed not to have got over “the flu of sole candidacy.”

He said, “That too raises a question. Are our politicians democrats or impostors? If they are ever ready to manipulate the process within their parties, are institutions vital for democracy safe in their hands? If, as it is, our politicians have obstinately refused to imbibe a democratic culture, are they not agents of instability?

“A government that is more powerful than the people is not accountable to the people. It does not consider transparency a sacred obligation. That is the situation as we write. Our government is not accountable to the people. Even when government functionaries are invited to the National Assembly to answer some questions, they arrogantly fail to honour the invitation. And they get away with such insolence! But that is not what we need in Nigeria. For in a veritable democracy, the government is at the service of the citizen. Such is the profound significance of going to the polls.

“The citizen hires his president, governor, senator, etc. If the people are not satisfied with their performance, those they hired are fired at the polls. But that remains a tall dream in Nigeria where, precisely because those we hire are more powerful than their employers, they are in a position to perpetuate themselves in office through an electoral process whose integrity exists only in the breach.”

The retired bishop added that the country could not take its rightful place in the comity of nations while the political class imposed its “counterfeit democracy of sole candidates and ‘divinely’ anointed contestants on the rest of us.”

He called for all all who want to contest in the 2019 elections to go through due process within their parties.

According to him, when they would have been duly nominated to contest, they must see it as a moral obligation to participate in nationally televised debates.

http://punchng.com/life-getting-harder-for-nigerians-under-buhari-says-okogie/

17 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by tuscani: 6:20am On Nov 29, 2017
Johnathan be like grin grin grin FTC, Bless you God.many more good things coming

18 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by benuejosh: 6:21am On Nov 29, 2017
This man doesn't want a Statue in Imo state Or is it because there's no more free monies to share and do some merriment? Nigeria was on the blink of being placed on Amazon for sale. If not for the timely intervention of Buhari been elected President, Jonathan and his crew in government were hell bent on selling Nigeria. Buhari may have had his down sides but he is still one of the best President Nigeria has ever had. He has tried his best to rescue Nigeria from complete collapse. Let's appreciate this Man to some extent. They complain of no salaries, sufferings and life getting harder. A number of times he has tried to bail the state out with funds and what has the governors done with the fund? My state governor carries out screening each time salaries are to be paid. Since he became a governor, he does screening every month before paying, yet he doesn't pay those he successfully screens. If you want to say my governor is an APC member so the failure is in them APC, then i ask, how about Fayose? whom all men should have used to compare with other APC governors owing to way he attacks the APC for doing poorly, Himself and my governor i can't say which is better. And so is it with other Governors too. Throwing the blame of Suffering at Buhari all the times speaks no meaning. If this governors were as well complimenting his efforts, the suffering would be less. Some governors are not helping matters. Talk to the Governors too, ask them questions. Why is it like this, the Funds you've been collecting as bailout, the funds you've borrowed from external sources what have you done with them? Buhari has tried and he is doing his best to alleviate the suffering of the people.

Modified: Those who are mentioning me in their comments upandan like if they see me they'll slaughter me, where was Okogie (with much respect to his spiritual office) when Jona and his vampires were sucking Nigeria Dry? If only he continued from where Ya'Adua stopped. Buhari has done his best, what he met on ground was so terrible that this man is still trying to bring Nigeria out of where they dumped her. The efforts he has put in to make Nigeria stand again is never appreciated, please appreciate this man and give him some space. Bailout that is given out to help people and make them feel better is being used to mount Statues of people who have no single contributions to Nigeria. And lastly, deal with me directly and leave Benue people out of my write up.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Modelqwen(f): 6:24am On Nov 29, 2017
shocked

Nigeria matter no b here..

Good a.m beautiful people.

1 Like

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by dunkem21(m): 6:24am On Nov 29, 2017
They will soon call him "IPOB yoot" cheesy

29 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by ladeb: 6:27am On Nov 29, 2017
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 6:29am On Nov 29, 2017
Sarrki won't like this thread grin

8 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by sarrki(m): 6:29am On Nov 29, 2017
Oga olubunmi

No more free money

Full stop

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by OBIGS(m): 6:30am On Nov 29, 2017
It will never be well for people that voted buhari to power. And for people who still plan on voting him 2019, you are evil

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Oledia(m): 6:31am On Nov 29, 2017
dunkem21:
They will soon call him "IPOB yoot" cheesy
No, they will say he has made a hate speech. The will then send EFCC after him.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Firefire(m): 6:40am On Nov 29, 2017
sarrki:
Oga olubunmi

No more free money

Full stop

Your redeemer liveth. 'Oludande re unbe laye'

7 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 29, 2017
benuejosh:
This man doesn't want a Statue in Imo state. Nigeria was on the blink of being placed on Amazon for sale. If not for the timely intervention of Buhari been elected President, Jonathan and his crew in government were hell bent on selling Nigeria. Buhari may have had his down sides but he is still one of the best President Nigeria has ever had. He has tried his best to rescue Nigeria from complete collapse. Let's appreciate this Man to some extent. They complain of no salaries, sufferings and life getting harder. A number of times he has tried to bail the state out with funds and what has the governors done with the fund? My state governor carries out screening each time salaries are to be paid. Since he became a governor, he does screening every month before paying, yet he doesn't pay those he successfully screens. If you want to say my governor is an APC member so the failure is in them APC, then i ask, how about Fayose? whom all men should have used to compare with other APC governors owing to way he attacks the APC for doing poorly, Himself and my governor i can't say which is better. Throwing the blame of Suffering at Buhari all the times speaks no meaning.
^^ This type of thinking process helps to sustain slave trade in Libya

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Flyingngel(m): 6:56am On Nov 29, 2017
This Buhari matter don tire me. Anything we see in this country during the course of APC rule shld be put on Tinubu head and all those who voted a less educated person to power.
In all this,I blame GEJ because if he remembered how he walked bare footed to school and also that millions of children are also on that same page he was before, may be he would have sit his ass down and fight any corrupt person to a logical conclusion. But alas his wife was number one corrupt official.

1 Like

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by sdindan: 6:57am On Nov 29, 2017
Truth His Eminence.
Election is nearing , now them don d carry Tinubu for plane de waka like their pet dog Bingo.
Chai! grin

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Omooba77: 7:06am On Nov 29, 2017
It is after a woman have tasted two husbands; then she can make true comparism.May God bless Nigeria and give we youth wisdom to see beyond peanuts and hand-outs and hand-downs...1 Samuel 8 comes to mind....
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 29, 2017
Well said grin

"The citizen hires his president , governor , senator, etc. If the people are not satisfied with their performance , those they hired are fired at the polls "

- walahi, Atiku is a perfect sub shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 29, 2017
sarrki:
Oga olubunmi

No more free money

Full stop

Like those in lagos ibadan express business centres

7 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by cyberguy72(m): 7:12am On Nov 29, 2017
Flyingngel:
This Buhari matter don tire me. Anything we see in this country during the course of APC rule shld be put on Tinubu head and all those who voted a less educated person to power.
In all this,I blame GEJ because if he remembered how he walked bare footed to school and also that millions of children are also on that same page he was before, may be he would have sit his ass down and fight any corrupt person to a logical conclusion. But alas his wife was number one corrupt official.
shut up

2 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by dodelight(m): 7:19am On Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for speaking the truth, Father. May God preserve people like you for us.

1 Like

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by dodelight(m): 7:22am On Nov 29, 2017
Oledia:

No, they will say he has made a hate speech. The will then send EFCC after him.
Of course, they would, except that he's too big for them to touch. They should ask IBB. Okogie! Awon Baba niyen (those are true fathers)

2 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Flyingngel(m): 7:29am On Nov 29, 2017
cyberguy72 post:

thank you.
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nbote(m): 7:57am On Nov 29, 2017
sarrki:
Oga olubunmi

No more free money

Full stop

I'm sure if his name had Chukwudi anywhere in there u'ld have found space to include "Igbos" in ur post. So even Tinubu and other APC chieftains who have complained about d hardship in d country are also doing so becos no more free money??

benuejosh:
This man doesn't want a Statue in Imo state Or is it because there's no more free monies to share and do some merriment? Nigeria was on the blink of being placed on Amazon for sale. If not for the timely intervention of Buhari been elected President, Jonathan and his crew in government were hell bent on selling Nigeria. Buhari may have had his down sides but he is still one of the best President Nigeria has ever had. He has tried his best to rescue Nigeria from complete collapse. Let's appreciate this Man to some extent. They complain of no salaries, sufferings and life getting harder. A number of times he has tried to bail the state out with funds and what has the governors done with the fund? My state governor carries out screening each time salaries are to be paid. Since he became a governor, he does screening every month before paying, yet he doesn't pay those he successfully screens. If you want to say my governor is an APC member so the failure is in them APC, then i ask, how about Fayose? whom all men should have used to compare with other APC governors owing to way he attacks the APC for doing poorly, Himself and my governor i can't say which is better. And so is it with other Governors too. Throwing the blame of Suffering at Buhari all the times speaks no meaning. If this governors were as well complimenting his efforts, the suffering would be less. Some governors are not helping matters. Talk to the Governors too, ask them questions. Why is it like this, the Funds you've been collecting as bailout, the funds Young's borrowed from external sources what have you done with them? Buhari has tried and he is doing his best to alleviate the suffering of the people.

D way some of U shift goalposts every time makes ppl believe dats how ur senses shifts every now and den... So U now remember governors have a role to play ryt?? Is d hardship in d land as a result of policies of d various state govt?? U and ur likes have been blaming d previous administration and GEJ in particular for "sharing free money" and even surprised u mentioned d governors instead of GEJ outright. I'll suggest u go and claim ur own wheelbarrow empowerment from ur Governor

29 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Cannonleo(m): 7:58am On Nov 29, 2017
Flyingngel:
has she been found guilty, do you remember that this was a woman through her hilarious and bumbling display of English, exposed the conspiracy in the Chibok Abduction saga etc.
go beyond the media please

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by benuejosh: 8:10am On Nov 29, 2017
Nbote:

D way some of U shift goalposts every time makes ppl believe dats how ur senses shifts every now and den... So U now remember governors have a role to play ryt?? Is d hardship in d land as a result of policies of d various state govt?? U and ur likes have been blaming d previous administration and GEJ in particular for "sharing free money" and even surprised u mentioned d governors instead of GEJ outright. I'll suggest u go and claim ur own wheelbarrow empowerment from ur Governor
keep quiet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Flyingngel(m): 8:27am On Nov 29, 2017
Cannonleo post'
has she been found guilty, do you remember that this was a woman through her hilarious and bumbling display of English, exposed the conspiracy in the Chibok Abduction saga etc.
go beyond the media please.

Well from what EFCC has frozen in her account, I don't need a soothsayer to tell me she has in one way or the other embezzle government money, otherwise one can tell me what her salary was that she could become a billionaire?
To the Chibok saga any sane and educated Nigerian knows that it was a tool by some northern elements to portray GEJ in bad light,which they succeed in doing.
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Cannonleo(m): 8:45am On Nov 29, 2017
Flyingngel:
Cannonleo post'
go beyond the media please.

Well from what EFCC has frozen in her account, I don't need a soothsayer to tell me she has in one way or the other embezzle government money, otherwise one can tell me what her salary was that she could become a billionaire?
To the Chibok saga any sane and educated Nigerian knows that it was a tool by some northern elements to portray GEJ in bad light,which they succeed in doing.
am not in her finances or know her financial history to exonerate here, but know she received a whole lot of cash as donations ,poltical and normal, am not to surprised as far as oga jona has no account outside Nigeria, kids attended schools here. Relatives were treated and died here, it tells a lot.

But No concrete jaw breaking evidence has be released by the effc except media routs so why must they be playing tit for tat on the account ish

3 Likes

Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Omooba77: 8:46am On Nov 29, 2017
Rate of succide is becoming alarming.
Please on a serious note, watch out for your brother and dont make mockery of what your brother is passing through. Lend a helping hand.
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 29, 2017
Omooba77:
Rate of succide is becoming alarming.
Can you post statistics/links about suicide ?
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 29, 2017
benuejosh:
keep quiet.
Sai barbarian spotted
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Omooba77: 8:51am On Nov 29, 2017
giftq:
Sir you can gooogle or search Nigeria media in the last 4 months.
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by Omooba77: 8:51am On Nov 29, 2017
giftq:
Sir you can gooogle or search Nigeria media in the last 4 months.
Re: "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie by LastSurvivor11: 8:54am On Nov 29, 2017
Harder is understatement
People are dying under the dullard

Infact slave trade resurfaced under the dullardihio

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheism: The “No-God” Religion / The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / When I See The Blood, I Will Pass Over You - Olamide Obire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.