Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,143 members, 7,953,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:03 PM

Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? (10248 Views)

Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Gays & Lesbians Are Sinners And They Will Go To Hell If... / Nigeria Popular Pastors That May Lead You To Hell If You Follow Their Doctrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 5:30pm On Mar 30, 2010
^Tonye how body? smiley

Again you have gone the route I was chastising Chukwudi for. You've quoted only 1 Peter and based your entire thing off it. Please read my last reponse and respond to that. I can produce other verses that say faith alone is necessary, or belief alone, or repentance alone. Take every verse into account, not just one.

And again, did the theif on the cross come down, go and get baptized and then climb back before Jesus said he would join him in paradise? If baptism is a requirement how come he will get into heaven?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 11:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
JeSoul:

Noetic, I'll ask you the same question I asked Chukwudi who hasn't had the chance to respond yet:

Lets assume a christian dies and was never baptised, is it your position that he/she will not see heaven? but will instead go to hell? (this is the question of the topic) Your response to this question will help in furthering this debate. Cheers.

how did he/she become a CHRISTIAN in the first place without being baptised?. . . . .or are we confused as to the definition of a christian?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by aletheia(m): 11:37pm On Mar 30, 2010
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by InesQor(m): 11:41pm On Mar 30, 2010
Bless you, Aletheia!
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 11:45pm On Mar 30, 2010
JeSoul:

I'll try to keep my response concise so its easy for others to follow and understand. Noetic this is to you as well.

1. Christian doctrine is usually not derived from just one verse. Scriptures work hand in hand with other scriptures and we take the bible as a total body of work - not plucking single scriptures and basing entire doctrines on it - especially doctrines of this magnitude.
Now countless times when Jesus teaches, admonishes He said "go and sin no more" "give up all your possessions" "leave your father and mother and follow me". In all this the underlying point is to turn away from the world and to God - in order to be saved. So it is not the giving up of possessions that saves - but the turning to God.

The above is true.

In the same way baptism is an act of obedience to Christ who commanded that we be baptised - hence it is important. However, it is not the act of baptism itself that saves - but instead the repentance. The physical act of baptism is simply the manifestation of the repentance. I will explain . . .

2. Acts 2:38 "Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." So what was Peter saying here? that baptism is a requirement to get into heaven? All thru the subsequent books - Romans, Corinthians, Phillipians, Hebrews, James - we hear Paul and the other writers endlessly harp on Faith, that results in good works.

1. Salvation should not be misunderstood . . . . . . .salvation is depicted as repentance, but John also called for repentance, was John's call for repentance also a call to salvation. . .NO. Salvation is NOT just a call to repentance. . .salvation is the total surrender of ones life and will to God through Christ Jesus. So when Jesus says believe and be baptised . .  . . . . .He simply gave u the first order as a soldier of God's army. baptism does not take anyone to heaven, but it is a spiritual symbolism of ones new patron . . .God.

2. u quoted Acts 2:38 in isolation. perhaps u should ask, what did peter do to those who believed in the gospel he preached. . . . .the answer is in verse 41. . . . .they were all BAPTISED immediately. why would he choose to baptise them since they have already believed the gospel?

3. when Paul talks about faith and James talks about works . . . , they DO NOT contradict each other. This may require a brand new thread. . .but both of them were talking about the same thing. Paul STRONGLY emphasised that while we are under grace (saved by grace) we are NOT allowed to sin (Romans 6:15-18). . this was the same thing James was saying, he called it WORKS . . . . .the works which imply staying away from the sins Paul calls forbidden.

We all know that we are saved first to last by Faith (Rm 1:17). So why did Peter not mention Faith at all? we know faith is the foundation not baptism. Or are they all preaching different gospels from each other? Infact the scriptures say "if you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, you will be saved" - where is the mention of you must be baptized?

1. Jesoul, to believe that a jewish carpenter died for your sins and is God. . .requires lots of guts and FAITH. the evidence of that faith is baptism. faith is involved when an issue goes beyond the scope of rationality.

2. True the scripture says that believing in our heart and confessing with our mouth we are saved. but the first creed of our salvation is baptism. is there any example of anyone in the scriptures who got saved without baptism?

The bottomline is that all of scripture should be read and understood and applied evenly. Not basing entire doctrines pertaining to salvation on single verses while ignoring other verses that contradict your conclusion. Or else we have this problem of different methods and means of salvation: Jesus said simply believe, Paul says its faith, James - works, now Peter repent and be baptized. Is there confusion in the word? or is it our poor grasp of it?

There is no confusion.

1. Jesus was clear, HE asked that all souls who believe be baptised. . ,  . .  .(mark 16:!6, mathew 28:19)

2. Paul says it is faith. it takes faith to believe that there is a spiritual significance in putting water over a person and calling it baptism. it also takes faith to believe that a death on the cross wipes away sin. Paul's notion of faith does NOT contradict baptism,  . . .baptism is an ACT of FAITH.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 11:50pm On Mar 30, 2010
aletheia:

1Co 1:17  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Not so fast,  . ,  .dont isolate that verse.

I corth 1: 13-17

13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into[b] the name of Paul?

14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,

15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.

16(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.)

17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

from the above we can deduce the following
1. Everyone Paul was writing to (the corinth church) at that point in time were baptised by Crispus and Gaius (verse 14)

2. Paul calls himself a teacher and not a baptiser. ,  . . this does not remove the ESSENTIAL need for baptism.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by InesQor(m): 11:59pm On Mar 30, 2010
I don tire
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by sonya4all(m): 9:36am On Mar 31, 2010
U need to be baptised as a sign 2 the world that u are now a child of God,baptism is like the weding ring of couples signifying that they are no more single,so is baptism,u do its as an act of obedience and faith and not compulsory for one 2 be in heaven.@jesoul,u r an ambassador for christ,are u an independent baptist? Or whats the name of ur church?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Tonyet1(m): 11:01am On Mar 31, 2010
JeSoul:

^Tonye how body? smiley

Again you have gone the route I was chastising Chukwudi for. You've quoted only 1 Peter and based your entire thing off it. Please read my last reponse and respond to that. I can produce other verses that say faith alone is necessary, or belief alone, or repentance alone. Take every verse into account, not just one.

And again, did the theif on the cross come down, go and get baptized and then climb back before Jesus said he would join him in paradise? If baptism is a requirement how come he will get into heaven?

lol, J-babe take am easy ,this is where you seem to be getting it all wrong. paradise and Heaven are two different places.

paradise is word with persian origin meaning the Garden of Eden where the tree of life resided, inotherwords it was a realm of perfection on earth. whilst Heaven is where God and his authority dwells.

The thief did not go to heaven, but rather the REALM OF PERFECTION ON EARTH. I dont want to show scriptures yet until you check the meanings better, cheers! wink

WATER BAPTISM IS A PREREQUISITE FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN . quote me. smiley
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by sirabbey(m): 11:45am On Mar 31, 2010
Pre-requitisite to the kingdom of heaven is strictly guinuine Salvation John 3 :16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in lhim should not perish, but have everlasting life.[/i]Water Baptism on the other hand is NOT and NEVER is a pre-requisite to making heaven ( once a person is saved by accepting Jesus). Water Baptism is a symbolic physical act that depicts the divine transformation of death with Christ, Burial with Christ and ressurection into newness of life with Christ which already took place divinely at salvation. Rom 6:3-6
Not taking anything away from Water Baptism, it is necessary for every born-again Christian to be baptised as it was commanded by Jesus Christ [i]Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the son and of the Holy Ghost.
Moreso Jesus our Lord subjected himself for water baptism even though just in fulfilment of all righteousness as he is a sinless Man who experienced no salvation to depicts to the world through water baptism.
[i]Matt 3: 14-15 But John forbad him, (Jesus) saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered (allowed) him.[/i]

In Conclusion while a genuine believer who do not have the opportunity of water baptism will get to heaven at his death, a religious individual who only based his hope on water baptism will only go in as a dry sinner and come out a wet sinner and still stand at risk of Hell fire at his demise.
Water Baptism does not Save, only acceptance and faith in Christ do.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Tonyet1(m): 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2010
^^^ One question i kindly ask you, If you say water baptism only/just depicted the divine transformation of death with Christ, Burial with Christ and ressurection into newness of life with Christ which already took place divinely at salvation.

Would i be right to assert from your notion that JESUS WAS BAPTIZED TO DEPICT TRANSFORMATION OF HIS DEATH, BURIAL WITH HIMSELF AND RESSURRECT INTO THE NEWNESS OF LIFE WITH HIMSELF. does it make sense?

Maybe we are not grasping the full defs. of baptism (water, holyspirit and fire)
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by kenpaam: 12:48pm On Mar 31, 2010
CHRISTIANS MUST BE BAPTIZED,ITS A COMMAND. Abi water no dey ona place? see me see talk o.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2010
noetic16:

how did he/she become a CHRISTIAN in the first place without being baptised?. . . . .or are we confused as to the definition of a christian?

So if a person is not baptized, they are/cannot ever be a christian?

I have just one response to that - wow.

For the sake of clarity I will respond to only the key points in your post:

noetic16:

1. Salvation should not be misunderstood . . . . . . .salvation is depicted as repentance, but John also called for repentance, was John's call for repentance also a call to salvation. . .NO. Salvation is NOT just a call to repentance. . .salvation is the total surrender of ones life and will to God through Christ Jesus. So when Jesus says believe and be baptised . . . . . . .He simply gave u the first order as a soldier of God's army. baptism does not take anyone to heaven, but it is a spiritual symbolism of ones new patron . . .God.
Now perhaps you are confusing salvation with the walk itself.

When one believes is the point/moment of salvation (John 3:16 makes this abundantly clear). The subsequent life of obedience to Christ is the walk that includes living and walking as Christ did and following in his example of baptism. Baptism is not a requisite for Salvation - it is merely the physical response of it. Do you see the difference?

2. u quoted Acts 2:38 in isolation. perhaps u should ask, what did peter do to those who believed in the gospel he preached. . . . .the answer is in verse 41. . . . .they were all BAPTISED immediately. why would he choose to baptise them since they have already believed the gospel?
I haven't said baptism is not important. The question is whether or not one will go to hell if they weren't.

1. Jesoul, to believe that a jewish carpenter died for your sins and is God. . .requires lots of guts and FAITH. the evidence of that faith is baptism. faith is involved when an issue goes beyond the scope of rationality.
No, baptism is not THE evidence of Faith no more than Speaking in Tongues is. It is just one of many many.

2. True the scripture says that believing in our heart and confessing with our mouth we are saved. but the first creed of our salvation is baptism. is there any example of anyone in the scriptures who got saved without baptism?
A shady question Noetic. You might as well have asked show me a person in the bible who got saved without speaking in tongues.

2. Paul says it is faith. it takes faith to believe that there is a spiritual significance in putting water over a person and calling it baptism. it also takes faith to believe that a death on the cross wipes away sin. Paul's notion of faith does NOT contradict baptism, . . .baptism is an ACT of FAITH.
Nobody disagrees with that. Is baptism a requisite to enter heaven? that is the question of the thread. Not whether baptism is important or not.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2010
Tonye-t:

lol, J-babe take am easy ,this is where you seem to be getting it all wrong. paradise and Heaven are two different places.

paradise is word with persian origin meaning the Garden of Eden where the tree of life resided, inotherwords it was a realm of perfection on earth. whilst Heaven is where God and his authority dwells.

The thief did not go to heaven, but rather the REALM OF PERFECTION ON EARTH. I dont want to show scriptures yet until you check the meanings better, cheers! wink

WATER BAPTISM IS A PREREQUISITE FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN . quote me. smiley

hmmm . . . this one na another matter entirely. I don't think I want to touch this with a 100-foot pole. "Realm of perfection on earth = paradise" . . . hmm no comment.

But ehn thanks for the response anyways smiley

InesQor:

I don tire
Na only you? I can't even believe we're discussing this sad you cannot be a christian if you were never baptized and you will go to hell? what?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 3:13pm On Mar 31, 2010
sonya4all:

U need to be baptised as a sign 2 the world that u are now a child of God,baptism is like the weding ring of couples signifying that they are no more single,so is baptism,u do its as an act of obedience and faith and not compulsory for one 2 be in heaven.
Perhaps one of the best responses on this thread. Simple and concise.

@jesoul,u r an ambassador for christ,are u an independent baptist? Or whats the name of your church?
Wetin concern topic concern my church name? lol. I'm a christian and a part of the body of Christ all around the world that's all that matters.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 31, 2010
Jesoul why don't u explain how one can bcome a xtian witout being baptised.mind u d thief u kip quoting died under d jewish era. Xtianity started on easter sunday
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Tonyet1(m): 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ok J-babe, one question sha,

do you think/believe Paradise and Heaven both mean the same place? Pls your answer will go a long way. cheers!
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say to you, Except a man be born of water and Spirit, he cannot into the kingdom of God. -- John 3:5

Jesus used water as a figure of speech here relating to salvation and of cleansing by the Word of God.  Men are cleansed and born again by the Word (See James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:23).

The two Agents of the New birth are;
[list]
[li]The Holy Spirit (John 3:3-5; 1 Cor.6:11) and [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The Word of God (1 Peter 1:23; James 1:18; Eph.5:26; John 15:3 [/li]
[/list]
A true Christian is one who has been born again because of his faith in the Gospel truth which can only be found in the Bible and by the workings of the Holy Spirit.
[list]
[li]Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures. - James 1:18[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. - 1 Peter 1:23[/li]
[/list]

Salvation does not come through water baptism but by grace through faith in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:7; 2:8,9; 1 John 1:7,9; Heb.9:22).  The Scripture records a catalogue of those who got saved by Jesus Christ without water baptism being a pre-requisite: Jesus healed the one sick of palsy in Matt.9:1-7; the woman who washed the feet of Jesus with her tears and cleaned them with her hair in Luke 7:36-50, Zacchaeus, the thief on the cross and the Ethiopian Eunuch, Even Paul was being addressed as a 'brother' (Bro. Saul) by Ananias and this was before he got baptised (Acts 9:17).

Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 5:13pm On Mar 31, 2010
chukwudi44:

Jesoul why don't u explain how one can bcome a xtian witout being baptised. mind u d thief u kip quoting died under d jewish era. Xtianity started on easter sunday

I believe OLADEGBU has answered perfectly here:
OLAADEGBU:
A true Christian is one who has been born again because of his faith in the Gospel truth which can only be found in the Bible[b] and by the workings of the Holy Spirit[/b].
  Chuks, no one will argue with you that baptism is not a direct charge to believers. But to insinuate it is a requisite for salvation is simply outrageous. 

Salvation does not come through water baptism but by grace through faith in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:7; 2:8,9; 1 John 1:7,9; Heb.9:22).  The Scripture records a catalogue of those who got saved by Jesus Christ without water baptism being a pre-requisite: Jesus healed the one sick of palsy in Matt.9:1-7; the woman who washed the feet of Jesus with her tears and cleaned them with her hair in Luke 7:36-50, Zacchaeus, the thief on the cross and the Ethiopian Eunuch, Even Paul was being addressed as a 'brother' (Bro. Saul) by Ananias and this was before he got baptised (Acts 9:17).
Gbam!

Noetic, I believe OLA has done a better job of your question asking for "biblical examples" of people who didn't get baptised before they were considered "saved".

Tonye-t:

Ok J-babe, one question sha,

do you think/believe Paradise and Heaven both mean the same place? Pls your answer will go a long way. cheers!

This one na another thread.

I will not enter a plea on this matter at this time. But if you have sufficient biblical evidence to show that "paradise = realm of perfection on earth", pls open a new thread as I am definitely eager to be educated on the matter smiley
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Ochlux(f): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2010
@jesoul,i was just asking because ur answers were in strick consonance with the independent baptist,no mist feelings,i dnt think there is any thing u can say no 2 convince these peopie
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 5:40pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ochlux:

@jesoul,i was just asking because your answers were in strick consonance with the independent baptist,no mist feelings,
  None at all brotha smiley. Guess I lean closest in scriptural belief to the baptists. Thank you for your first reply, it was most direct and concise.

i dnt think there is any thing u can say no 2 convince these peopie
  undecided its just unsettling. I thought salvation was based on grace, received by faith - not works, lest any man can boast.

Now we have those same works being equally attached to faith as an absolute necessity to be saved. Does anyone else see the irony?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by aletheia(m): 7:16pm On Mar 31, 2010
@noetic
noetic16:

Not so fast,  . ,  .dont isolate that verse.
. . .
17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.[/color]
. . .

Here's my tuppence:

If your argument is along the lines of James in his epistle
Jas 2:17-18 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

then one can argue that a genuinely saved man or woman will be baptized in obedience to the command of Christ. But then one is not saved or regenerated by the act of baptism but rather by faith in Jesus of Nazareth. As the scriptures do testify:
Eph 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

For Christians, baptism itself is an act of faith, a public confession of identifying with the death and resurrection of Jesus. For us as Christians it has a different meaning from those disciples of John who got baptized or proselytes converting to the Jewish faith, who also got baptized.
Would you therefore say that these three groups viz:
a. Christians
b. Disciples of John
c. converts to Judaism
are saved by baptism? The common thread that runs through these groups is that baptism is a symbolic act signifying a ruption from the past, a putting off of the old and a putting on of the new.
Indeed not all who are baptized are regenerate as witness the case with Simon Magus:
Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by ttalks(m): 7:32pm On Mar 31, 2010
Ephesians 1:13:

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Galatians 3:27:

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:13:

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Ephesians 4:4-5:

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

One thing I believe is that once a person believes in Jesus Christ, he/she is saved.
But this saving process is put into action by the work of the holy spirit; that is, the baptism of the holy Spirit.
So it is safe to say that a person is saved after the baptism of the holy Spirit which takes place after the person believes in Jesus Christ(and this takes place immediately and not later as some believe).
This is in synchrony with what John the Baptist said about Jesus's mission/ministry(which we understand to be the salvation of men):

Mat 3:11
(11)  I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

So,it is to say that Jesus' work of salvation is ochestrated through one's belief which results in the baptism of the holy Spirit and finally,the state of being saved.

It is when one is saved that he/she becomes a part of the body of Christ, right?
Well, 1 Corintians 12:13 which i quoted above shows us the agency by which that takes place; the baptism of the holy Spirit.

So what is the point I'm trying to make?

Well, since the question raised by the OP seems to be inquiring if water baptism is necessary for salvation, my explanations above show that the baptism necessary for salvation is the baptism of the holy Spirit and not the baptism by water.
Based on all these, I am very sure that the one baptism which was spoken about in Ephesians 4:5(quoted above) is the baptism of the holy Spirit.

Water baptism is just one of the acts to show one's faith,not an agency to bring one into the faith.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 7:44pm On Mar 31, 2010
JeSoul:

So if a person is not baptized, they are/cannot ever be a christian?

I have just one response to that - wow.

I have just one response. . . , really?  shocked So a person can DISOBEY Jesus Christ and still remain a "christian". . , wetin I no go c for nairaland  grin

For the sake of clarity I will respond to only the key points in your post:
  Now perhaps you are confusing salvation with the walk itself.

When one believes is the point/moment of salvation (John 3:16 makes this abundantly clear). The subsequent life of obedience to Christ is the walk that includes living and walking as Christ did and following in his example of baptism. Baptism is not a requisite for Salvation - it is merely the physical response of it. Do you see the difference?

No. . .on the contrary, salvation is NOT a one-off event. Salvation is a continuos process that starts at the point of accepting Jesus.
so if a man gets saved and starts to steal, commit adultery and fraud. . , .does his salvation remain intact?. .  ,  . Definitely NOT.
u need to have a balanced understanding of what James meant by works and what Paul meant by faith. can we because we are saved continue to sin like the sons of satan? NO . . . . .the acts of righteousness we perform is called WORKS.

I haven't said baptism is not important. The question is whether or not one will go to hell if they weren't.

YES . . . .and please quote me anywhere.

For u to consciously DISOBEY the instruction of Jesus Christ shows that u are not a vessel unto honour and not worthy of honour. This is not a case of baptism but a case of OBEDIENCE.

No, baptism is not THE evidence of Faith no more than Speaking in Tongues is. It is just one of many many.

There are many evidences of Faith and the FIRST is baptism.
Jesus said that if u believe that a jewish capenter with an incredible birth, who performed miracles is God and died for ur sins to reconcile u to Him. . . . then u should get baptised. why did He insist on baptism?. . . . .why did Jesus command baptism?

Baptism on its own is a "foolish" injunction that has no physical relevance. but all over the scriptures we have seen how God used "foolish" injunctions to perform great miracles. . . .the case of moses and his rod, Elisha and salt and many others readily come to mind.
Baptism is an act of faith simply because it CANNOT be rationalised.

A shady question Noetic. You might as well have asked show me a person in the bible who got saved without speaking in tongues.

did Jesus command anyone to speak in tongues? tongues is a GIFT and not everyone is given this gift. speaking in tongues has NO connection to salvation.

Nobody disagrees with that. Is baptism a requisite to enter heaven? that is the question of the thread. Not whether baptism is important or not.

You cannot enter heaven by disobeying Jesus.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by JeSoul(f): 8:04pm On Mar 31, 2010
ttalks, long time smiley how've you been?

ttalks:
Water baptism is just one of the acts to show one's faith,not an agency to bring one into the faith.
Please help explain this to Noetic and Tonye.

JeSoul:
Is baptism a requisite to enter heaven? that is the question of the thread.
noetic16:
YES . . . .and please quote me anywhere.
wow. A salvation that actually requires physical works. I really have nothing else to add. Those reading can make up their minds for themselves from all that's already been said.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 8:19pm On Mar 31, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say to you, Except a man be born of water and Spirit, he cannot into the kingdom of God. -- John 3:5

Jesus used water as a figure of speech here relating to salvation and of cleansing by the Word of God.  Men are cleansed and born again by the Word (See James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:23).

The two Agents of the New birth are;
[list]
[li]The Holy Spirit (John 3:3-5; 1 Cor.6:11) and [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The Word of God (1 Peter 1:23; James 1:18; Eph.5:26; John 15:3 [/li]
[/list]
A true Christian is one who has been born again because of his faith in the Gospel truth which can only be found in the Bible and by the workings of the Holy Spirit.
[list]
[li]Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures. - James 1:18[/li]
[/list]
[/quote]

1. how did this person exercise his faith in the gospel truth without accepting baptism? Jesus said if anyone accepts the gospel he/she should get baptised .  . ,  , how then do u seperate baptism from the gospel truth?

2. On the contrary the HOLY SPIRIT is NOT an agent/perquisite  of salvation. saved persons did not have have the holy spirit UNTIL they get an HS baptism. . .which is different from getting saved and water baptism, . . example abound in the bible.

3. A christian is the son of God. . . .the sons of God are those led by the spirit (romans 8:14). .  . . . . .those that DISOBEY God are NOT the sons of God.
[quote]
[list]
[li]Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. - 1 Peter 1:23[/li]
[/list]

are those who disobey God an incorruptible seed?

Salvation does not come through water baptism but by grace through faith in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:7; 2:8,9; 1 John 1:7,9; Heb.9:22).

The bible says that grace cannot abound if we sin (romans 6:1). . . . . to disobey JC is to SIN.

The Scripture records a catalogue of those who got saved by Jesus Christ without water baptism being a pre-requisite: Jesus healed the one sick of palsy in Matt.9:1-7; the woman who washed the feet of Jesus with her tears and cleaned them with her hair in Luke 7:36-50, Zacchaeus, the thief on the cross and the Ethiopian Eunuch, Even Paul was being addressed as a 'brother' (Bro. Saul) by Ananias and this was before he got baptised (Acts 9:17).

1. The dude in mathew 9 had his sins forgiven and he was healed and NOT saved.

2. The woman who washed the feet of Jesus . . .did just that. . .she washed His feet. . .not more.

3. Through Zacheus we learn the need for restitution and NOT the act of avoiding baptism. baptism remains a DECREE by JC

4. The thief on the cross assked for mercy which was what he received. The abilty of JC to show mercy and give salvation are NOT mutually exclusive.

5. Paul got baptised as soon as he got saved in damascus.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by ttalks(m): 8:22pm On Mar 31, 2010
JeSoul:

ttalks, long time smiley how've you been?

Hi Jesoul smiley
I've been fine. Just been browsing through nairaland without commenting. . . . . .
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 8:27pm On Mar 31, 2010
JeSoul:

wow. A salvation that actually requires physical works. I really have nothing else to add. Those reading can make up their minds for themselves from all that's already been said.

No. Its salvation that requires OBEDIENCE.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by ttalks(m): 8:53pm On Mar 31, 2010
noetic, nobody is trying to downplay the act of faith which is the water baptism. The point here is that it is not a part of what gets one saved. The conclusion is water baptism comes after being saved and not in the process of getting saved(refering to the saved that Christ referred to in John 3:16,not the continuous process till Christ's return). It is an act performed after being saved.Entry into salvation/the body of Christ/christianity requires only belief in Christ and nothing else. Any other thing is simply an act of faith.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 10:06pm On Mar 31, 2010
ttalks:

noetic, nobody is trying to downplay the act of faith which is the water baptism. The point here is that it is not a part of what gets one saved. The conclusion is water baptism comes after being saved and not in the process of getting saved(refering to the saved that Christ referred to in John 3:16,not the continuous process till Christ's return). It is an act performed after being saved.Entry into salvation/the body of Christ/christianity requires only belief in Christ and nothing else. Any other thing is simply an act of faith.

Interesting argument. John 3:16 talks about believing in Him . . . , . . , do u believe in Him if u disobey Him?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by noetic16(m): 10:19pm On Mar 31, 2010
aletheia:

@noetic
Here's my tuppence:

If your argument is along the lines of James in his epistle
then one can argue that a genuinely saved man or woman will be baptized in obedience to the command of Christ. But then one is not saved or regenerated by the act of baptism but rather by faith in Jesus of Nazareth. As the scriptures do testify:
For Christians, baptism itself is an act of faith, a public confession of identifying with the death and resurrection of Jesus. For us as Christians it has a different meaning from those disciples of John who got baptized or proselytes converting to the Jewish faith, who also got baptized.

There are two things here.

1. We get saved by faith. Faith is however not an abstract thing. The will of God is to substantiate our faith from belief to reality. . . .this process entails a walk with God. This walk starts at the point of salvation.

2. The ticket for that walk is BAPTISM. baptism is a physical expression of the faith we have in the death and resurrection of JC. its NOT baptism in itself but the OBEDIENCE involved.

Would you therefore say that these three groups viz:
a. Christians
b. Disciples of John
c. converts to Judaism
are saved by baptism? The common thread that runs through these groups is that baptism is a symbolic act signifying a ruption from the past, a putting off of the old and a putting on of the new.
Indeed not all who are baptized are regenerate as witness the case with Simon Magus:

In the same vain, I could ask u, that since muslims claim to believe in JC. . , are they also saved?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by InesQor(m): 10:34pm On Mar 31, 2010
Logic:

Premise 1: [/b]Human beings, after birth, are expected to live with families and experience love. It's one of the beauties of humanity.

[b]Premise 2:
Oliver Twist was born an orphan so he lived love-lessly on the streets in a hard knock life.

Conclusion: Oliver Twist is therefore not a human being.

Inesqor: [size=18pt]Ok.  [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

National Fasting And Prayer Day: Jonathan, Adeboye, Oyedepo, Others To Attend. / The Bible Disguised As The Quran To See How People React. / Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.