Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,510 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? (9942 Views)

Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Gays & Lesbians Are Sinners And They Will Go To Hell If... / Nigeria Popular Pastors That May Lead You To Hell If You Follow Their Doctrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Bobbyaf(m): 8:34pm On Apr 04, 2010
Yes and no.

Baptism is a requirement according to Jesus. Even Jesus was baptized. In fact Jesus said it was the righteous thing to do when John had a problem baptizing Him. If persons have the opportunity to get baptized and refuse, then on that basis, they are not worthy to follow Jesus, or call Him Lord.

If a person is sick, or is in a position that doesn't enable, or facilitate baptism, then such persons can be entered into fellowship on the expression of their faith, These are exceptions to the rule. The thief on the cross is an example. Given the opportunity he'd have been baptized.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 8:37pm On Apr 04, 2010
Please Bobbyaf tell me where Jesus made baptism a requirement
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Bobbyaf(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2010
See John 3:3,5,
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 12:42am On Apr 05, 2010
are these the verses ur talkin about??

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Please where iin this passage would u find the ridiculous idea that jesus said baptism is a requirement
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by nguage(m): 1:02am On Apr 05, 2010
What's the use of continuous arguments? So far we all can agree on love as Christ's most important message to mankind, what would we gain by arguing like kids? Mostly about silly things too, "Can women wear pants? can men wear skirts?" Cultivate pure love for God and the people around you and watch every other thing fall in line.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 1:57am On Apr 05, 2010
n-guage:

What's the use of continuous arguments? So far we all can agree on love as Christ's most important message to mankind, what would we gain by arguing like kids? Mostly about silly things too, "Can women wear pants? can men wear skirts?" Cultivate pure love for God and the people around you and watch every other thing fall in line.

Ur rite and this is exactly what Im trying to say to these people, christainity is not about some laws that you must follow, its about having a personal relationship with God. o pari. .
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Image123(m): 6:35am On Apr 05, 2010
Even there are so many people going to hell after doing water baptism. You better go and do your own and stop basing your eternity on probability.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:11am On Apr 05, 2010
@ streetwize

"I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."

Unless you have another qualification for the word unless. Any fool can see what the word means, except you, lol
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:13am On Apr 05, 2010
your rite and this is exactly what Im trying to say to these people, christainity is not about some laws that you must follow, its about having a personal relationship with God. o pari. .

Now you want us to become lawless followers. My my,
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00am On Apr 05, 2010
I believe many people have eaten the leaven of the RCC who believe that once you have been baptised in water you have been saved. They baptise babies and even the dead believing that they will make heaven. If one is baptised and dies as a sinner such a person will end up in hell. Baptism does not prevent anyone from going to hell if he has not repented and believed in the atoning blood of Jesus Christ.

Jesus said to be "born of water" in a figurative sense that means being born again by the Word of God.

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abides for ever." -- 1 Peter 1:23

"That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word" -- Ephesians 5:26

"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you" -- John 15:3

You can see especially from what Jesus said here was that his disciples were clean not going to be after the cross or at pentecost, they were clean through the word that Jesus spoke to them that they have believed, so it is the word and the Spirit of God that cleanses not water baptism which is a product of our faith in the atoning blood of Christ.

"Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures." -- James 1:18
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 05, 2010
RCC does not teach dat baptism guarantees salvation. But rather that it is needed in d march 2 salvation
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 05, 2010
1john 5:6:Jesus christ is one who came wit d water of his baptism n d blood of his death.he came not only wit water but wit both d water n d blood,
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 05, 2010
1 john 5:7:there are three witnesses ,the spirit,water n d blood and all three give d same the same testimony
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 05, 2010
John 19:34:one of d soldiers however plunged his spear into Jesus side n at once blood n water came out
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 12:19pm On Apr 05, 2010
Bobbyaf, are u saying "born of water" translates to baptism you must be extremely deluded. . .
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 12:22pm On Apr 05, 2010
streetwize:

Bobbyaf, are u saying "born of water" translates to baptism you must be extremely deluded. . .
Im not askin u to be lawlwss followers, Im askin you to be Jesus's friend and obey hiss two commandments Love God and Love your neighbours as you love yourself. Everything will fall into its place. We now have a father son relationship with God. . .
Even Jesus gave some other things priority over the LAW, as you well know. In fact he was in constant disagreement with the upholders of the law(them pharisees and saducees
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2010
Oladeegbu are we also 2 suppose dat d use of water in d quotations above is also figurative? Even d dead in 1 cor 15:29 were also baptised.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
How can one claim 2 love God when he cannot keep his commandments .If u claim 2 love God obey him n get baptised
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 12:38pm On Apr 05, 2010
Chukwudi44 ive already addressed that, first of all no one is yet to show me where it was made a commandment to get baptised and secondly, the fact that you disobey your dad does not mean that you do not love him, you just disobeyed him ni. . . abi uve never disobeyed God of your dad b4?. . .
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Tonyet1(m): 1:02pm On Apr 05, 2010
streetwize:

Chukwudi44 ive already addressed that, first of all no one is yet to show me where it was made a commandment to get baptised and secondly, the fact that you disobey your dad does not mean that you do not love him, you just disobeyed him ni. . . abi uve never disobeyed God of your dad b4?. . .

Hmmm i see! interesting! "if you love me, you'll obey my commandments" (*still thinking who said doz words*)
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 1:07pm On Apr 05, 2010
Yes, as I said before God expects you to obey his commandments, however the logic is very simple

Now what the bible really says as you know is. If you love me, keep my commandments
This is not a condition of any sort. I can tell my wife, If you love me, go to shomolu and pick up my rubber slippers from the shoemaker. Wether she does this or not does not change the fact that she loves me or not

And I am not sayin what God asks is unreasonable, all I am telling you is this
That you obey him doesnt mean you love God, and that you disobey doesnt mean u despise him either
He expects that we show our love by obeying him, but that we dont obey just means we arent showing the love through obedience, not that it isnt there
you do not do what he told you to do one day, does that mean you dont love him
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Tonyet1(m): 1:26pm On Apr 05, 2010
streetwize:

Yes, as I said before God expects you to obey his commandments, however the logic is very simple

Now what the bible really says as you know is. If you love me, keep my commandments
This is not a condition of any sort. I can tell my wife, If you love me, go to shomolu and pick up my rubber slippers from the shoemaker. Wether she does this or not does not change the fact that she loves me or not

And I am not sayin what God asks is unreasonable, all I am telling you is this
That you obey him doesnt mean you love God, and that you disobey doesnt mean u despise him either
He expects that we show our love by obeying him, but that we dont obey just means we arent showing the love through obedience, not that it isnt there
you do not do what he told you to do one day, does that mean you dont love him

dont try to be too logical my friend. OBEDIENCE is an EVIDENCE that you LOVE someone. what do you understand by LOVE
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 05, 2010
Romans 6:3-4:for surely u know that when u were baptised into union wit christ,we were baptised into union with his death.By our baptism then we were buried wit him and shared his death in order that just as christ was raised 4rm death by d glorious power of his father,so also we might live a new life.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 05, 2010
D importance of baptism is spelt out in numerous bible passages some of which r given below Coll 2:12,1 pet 3:21,eph 4:5,matt 28:18-20,acts 2:37-38,9:18,10:46_47,16:15and 16:33
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by afiq(m): 2:23pm On Apr 05, 2010
"All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." (Matt. 28:18-19).
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 2:41pm On Apr 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

dont try to be too logical my friend. OBEDIENCE is an EVIDENCE that you LOVE someone. what do you understand by LOVE
mmmhmm But is disobedience evidence that you dont love the person?? Are you tellin me that you have never disobeyed God??
afiq:

"All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." (Matt. 28:18-19).
This says nothing about the requirement of baptism for salvation. Its givin baptism as a command, like any other command like dont lie or covet your neighbours wife. It does not pertain to my argument as I am not saying you should not get baptised or not preach the gospel. But preachin the gospel is not necessary for u to be saved, u should do it, but it is not a requirement for salvation

You people must be pompous if u think that you work for your salvation gettin baptised and doin works. This totally negates the essence of Jesus's sacrifice. He has already worked for our salvation. . . .
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by ttalks(m): 3:51pm On Apr 05, 2010
chukwudi44:

Romans 6:3-4:for surely u know that when u were baptised into union wit christ,we were baptised into union with his death.By our baptism then we were buried wit him and shared his death in order that just as christ was raised 4rm death by d glorious power of his father,so also we might live a new life.

Err. . . . how can one be so sure the baptism spoken of in the above verse is in relation to water baptism?
It could be the baptism of the holy Spirit undecided

Compare those verses with :

1Co 12:13
(13) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

The above verse definitely says that one is made to be part of the body of Christ by the baptism of the holy Spirit. So, therefore, I know for sure that the baptism spoken of in Galatians 3:27 is definitely that of the holy Spirit when you view it in the light of 1 corinthians12:13.

Gal 3:27
(27) For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

In that case, the baptism spoken of in Romans 6:3-4 could very well be that of the Holy Spirit.

- baptised into union wit christ(Romans 6:3)
- baptized into one body(1 Corinthians 12:13)

^^^ ain't they saying the same essentially the same thing? undecided sad
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
Ttalks I see ur mind is already made up,when water is mentioned u say it is merely symbolic,when only baptism is mentioned u say it refers 2 d HS.did 1 john 5 :6 not mention dat JESUS came wit both water n blood n dat d spirit testifies 2 it? Why do'nt u answer d question of 1 cor 15:29,why were d dead baptised?
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2010
Emblems Of The Holy Spirit

"And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him" (Matthew 3:16).

There are several beautiful symbols of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament.  The first is that of the dove, here mentioned in the very first New Testament reference to the Spirit.  It was the dove, of course, that first assured Noah that the earth had risen out of the death waters of the great Flood, just as Christ now rose up out of the baptismal waters to receive the dove-like Spirit.

The water itself is also an emblem of the Spirit in its cleansing efficacy and life-sustaining virtue. Jesus said: "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5).  This could also be translated "born of water, even the Spirit."  When He promised "rivers of living water" to those who believed on Him, "this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive" (John 7:38,39).

Then, there is the wind—sometimes a gentle breeze, sometimes a mighty hurricane—and this also symbolizes the Holy Spirit.  "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit" (John 3:cool.

John the Baptist said: "I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh. . . . He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire" (Luke 3:16).  The Holy Spirit is God; "our God is a consuming fire" (Hebrews 12:29).  The Spirit of God is a gentle dove and living water; He is the blowing wind, and a consuming fire; He is our "Comforter" (John 14:26), "the Spirit of truth" (John 14:17), and "the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:2). HMM
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2010
chukwudi44:

Oladeegbu are we also 2 suppose dat d use of water in d quotations above is also figurative? Even d dead in 1 cor 15:29 were also baptised.

This is the question Paul asked:

Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead? And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? I Cor.15:29-30.

From these verses of scripture we have 7 reasons why baptism for the dead is unscriptural and an erroneous practice:

[list]
[li]1. It is a law of Scripture that every doctrine must be proved by two or more scriptures (2 Cor.13:1; Matt.18:16; Deut.19:15-18), but this verse is the only one casually mentioning the subject.

2. The Corinthians were in many errors and heresies (1 Cor.11:19). Baptism for the dead was only one of them.

3. Water baptism does not save a living man who repents and meets the gospel conditions of salvation (Matt.3:11). Therefore, it could not save a dead man who did not meet conditions while he was alive (Lk.13:1-5; Rom.10:9-10; Eph.2:8-9; 1 John 1:9).

4. Salvation is a personal matter and cannot be obtained by proxy (Mk.16:16; Lk.13:1-5; John 3:16-20; Acts 3:19; Rom.1:16; 10:9-10; Eph.2:8-9; Rev.22:17).

5. There is no command or example of baptism for the dead in Scripture.

6. The simple truth is that Paul is here showing the inconsistency of false teachers at Corinth in denying the doctrine of resurrection and yet accepting the fallacy of the baptism for the dead. He does not sanction such a doctrine or practice just because he makes one passing reference to this error.

7.  One might as well believe that there is no resurrection of the dead on the basis of false teachers saying there is none (1 Cor.15:12), as to believe in their practice of baptism for the dead (1 Cor.15:29).[/li]
[/list]
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Bobbyaf(m): 1:50am On Apr 06, 2010
@ streetwize

To be born of the water literally means to come up out of the water, or to move from one transition to another, which is a fitting symbolism for one who is born into the spiritual realm.

That is exactly what Jesus meant. So why else would people go through the rudiment of baptism if that was not what Jesus meant? Why did Phillip have to baptize the Ethiopian Eunoch by water? Why did His disciples have to baptize those who accepted Jesus as Saviour and Lord? Baptism became a public declaration of one's faith.

The Greek word for baptism means to immerse. It symbolizes the death of a sinner who is then buried(immersed), and who finally resurrects to a new life in Christ. Hence it is a very important ceremony that was implemented by God Himself.

Keep silent on matters you have no knowledge about.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 2:30am On Apr 06, 2010
My friend where u get your so called literal translation i do not know. . . do u know what literal means?
The literal translation of born of water is simply made out of water or given birth to by water.
I do agree however that it should not be LITERALLY translated. However water as we all know symbolizes something that cleanses.
I will not go into detail maybe OLAADEGBU has said enough . . .
And your anology of coming out of water and movin into the spiritual realm

Now For your little xplanation on people doing it making it neccessary. . . what . . so because people do something makes it neccessary
And for your information read ur bible carefully, can you not remember ACT 1 4-5 John baptised with water BUT you shall be baptised with the holy spirit and with fire, guy u no see d BUT there. . .
See baptism is just washing away or cleansing of sins, accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour cleanses u of ur sin nature through the admittance of the holy spirit, If you want to symbolize that like the John did as washing with water its fine just like it was with the eunuch( it was actually the eunuch that asked to be baptised in water oh), but it is what goes on in ur heart that is all that matters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fringe Illuminati Ebola Egregore / What Are The Differences Between Seeing And Entering The Kingdom Of God?. / How To Invest Your First Fruits By Charles Awuzie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.