Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? (9926 Views)

Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Gays & Lesbians Are Sinners And They Will Go To Hell If... / Nigeria Popular Pastors That May Lead You To Hell If You Follow Their Doctrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by streetwize(m): 2:36am On Apr 06, 2010
Baptism is an outward sign that represents the manifestation of an inward reality. It represents the cleansing of our sins by the blood of Jesus when we accept him. It is symbolic as you said and only that. . . the fact that we do not do it does not change the fact that Jesus washed the sins away
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by TheSly: 2:39am On Apr 06, 2010
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism?
I did baptism. . . .Even my baptismal name is one of the greatest prophet to ever lived.
With all that. . . .I still F***k around like a rabbit. . .what does that mean to you?
It means being baptized doesn't give you a free pass to heaven.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 06, 2010
1. It is a law of Scripture that every doctrine must be proved by [b]two or more scripture[/b]s (2 Cor.13:1; Matt.18:16; Deut.19:15-18), but this verse is the only one casually mentioning the subject

ol boy this only refers to accusations which it said must be proved by two or more witnesses stop misinterpreting the scripture.

2. The Corinthians were in many errors and heresies (1 Cor.11:19). Baptism for the dead was only one of the
m

St Paul never condemned baptism of the dead in 1 cor 15:29 ,rather he was using it to prove that people would rise from the dead

5. There is no command or example of baptism for the dead in Scripture.

is 1 cor 15:29 not scripture ?

did baptism. . . .Even my baptismal name is one of the greatest prophet to ever lived.
With all that. . . .I still F***k around like a rabbit. . .what does that mean to you?
It means being baptized doesn't give you a free pass to heaven.

Nobody has claimed that baptism guarantees salvation,all we are saying is that it is very necessary for the race to salvation.Even those who claim to be baptized by the holy spirit still commit sins.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44am On Apr 06, 2010
chukwudi44:

ol boy this only refers to accusations which it said must be proved by two or more witnesses stop misinterpreting the scripture.

Young man, it will do you well to learn the law of interpretation of Scripture as it will go a long way in helping you understand every doctrine of the Bible.

" . . .  In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established"

This states that every doctrine must be proved by at least two or three scriptures before it can be accepted as truth and binding upon Christians but if you are talking about your church's dogma that is a different matter, as you are free to swallow that hook, line and stinker shocked.

chukwudi44:

St Paul never condemned baptism of the dead in 1 cor 15:29 ,rather he was using it to prove that people would rise from the dead

You don't just take one verse and run with it can you show me any where else where it is supported in Scripture? and I don't mean from your apocrypha.

chukwudi44:

is 1 cor 15:29 not scripture ?

Paul is only showing the inconsistency of false teachers at Corinth in denying the doctrine of resurrection and yet accepting the fallacy of the baptism for the dead.  He did not approve such a doctrine or practice just because he makes one passing reference to this error.  Can you mention somewhere else it Scripture where it is mention?

chukwudi44:

Nobody has claimed that baptism guarantees salvation,all we are saying is that it is very necessary for the race to salvation.Even those who claim to be baptized by the holy spirit still commit sins.

Did you say that water baptism "is very necessary for the race to salvation"? As someone said earlier in this thread if you get baptised as a dry sinner the only difference is that you will end up being a wet sinner.  Simples. wink
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06am On Apr 07, 2010
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. -- 1 Peter 3:21

This is what a Bible commentator said about the verse above: "The like figure of baptism in water also saves us. How does it save us? Is it the water that saves or the thing that it is a figure of? It was not the water that saved the 8 persons of v 20. It was the ark that saved them from drowning in the flood. So baptism in water does not save the soul, but faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, that which baptism is a figure of, does save the soul (Romans 6:3-5 . . . etc). A mere figure can have no power to save, but the reality of the figure can. Peter, lest some should trust in water baptism to save the soul, makes it very clear that baptism does not save one from the filth or moral depravity of the flesh. He shows it to be only the answer of a good conscience toward God, one that has been made clean by faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ (v 21). It is clear here that at baptism the conscience is already supposed to be good and clean and baptism merely answers to it. As the waters of the flood could not have saved these 8 persons, had they not made use of the ark, so the water of baptism does not save the soud of anyone, but tesifies figuratively to the salvation that comes by faith (Rom.1:16; 3:24-25; 10:9-10). "
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by folaski: 4:41pm On Apr 05, 2012
chukwudi44: Without baptism u re not a christian.dont forget Jesus told nicodemus unles u r born of WATER n d spirit u can not enter d kingdom of God

water baptism is not a pericusite for salvation though it is an outward sign of an inward grace we recieve when we are accepted ito the church. remember the thief on the cross with Jesus, he was not baptised yet his salvation was guaranteed by Jesus himself i.e when he confessed Jesus
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by brocab: 12:29pm On Jun 22, 2015
I suppose when we read up on the story when Jesus was crucified with two others, and one of them believed and said to Jesus remember me, and Jesus said: today you will be in paradise with Me.
Baptism is used as an act of righteousness.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by sunmarouk(m): 3:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
chukwudi44:
Where is ur faith if u refuse 2 obey a simple biblical injunction?
my dear brothers and sisters, water baptism is more than just a symbol, its part of the requirement to live a christ-like life. Jesus christ having no sin, yet did it, and after which the holy spirit came upon him and the same spirit drove him to the wilderness where he fasted for forty days and night, after which he was tempted by the devil, of which he came out victorious. So if he hadnt done the baptism, his ministry wouldnt hv started, physically, its a symbol, but spiritually, you have been been buried with christ and a new you has emerge. I urge you all to read ur bible, study(study to show thyself approved, a workman that need not to be ashame), and get a believing church where the truth are told, then you wil have an understanding. God bless U
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by brocab: 11:54pm On Jun 22, 2015
And who are the believing Churches, other then the body of Christ
sunmarouk:

my dear brothers and sisters, water baptism is more than just a symbol, its part of the requirement to live a christ-like life. Jesus christ having no sin, yet did it, and after which the holy spirit came upon him and the same spirit drove him to the wilderness where he fasted for forty days and night, after which he was tempted by the devil, of which he came out victorious. So if he hadnt done the baptism, his ministry wouldnt hv started, physically, its a symbol, but spiritually, you have been been buried with christ and a new you has emerge. I urge you all to read ur bible, study(study to show thyself approved, a workman that need not to be ashame), and get a believing church where the truth are told, then you wil have an understanding. God bless U
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On May 18, 2023
deluxecad:
Just being curious.
Heaven(Eternal Reward) and Hell(Eternal Damnation) both exist inside of the Kingdom of God, the Nation that is ruled by Jesus Christ - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 -, and for this reason, Jesus Christ told you of the two gates which lead into the Kingdom of God — the Broad gate which leads to Hell and the Narrow gate which leads to Heaven - Matthew 7 vs 13-14 & Luke 13 vs 22 - 30. Jesus Christ also informed you that except a man be born again — born of water AND born of Spirit - John 3 vs 1 - 21— he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. Meaning it is impossible to end up in Hell if one is not even born of water. undecided
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On May 20, 2023
JeSoul:
■ Common now Chukwudi smiley you know different.What water baptism did the thief on the cross next to Jesus go through? yet Jesus promised him he would be with Him together in paradise that day. The woman caught in adultery. Did Jesus tell her "go and be baptized in order to escape hell"? No. He simply said "go and sin no more". Water Baptism is a part of the faith, a symbolic act. It is by no means a requirement to be saved.
But Jesus Christ never mentioned salvation to the woman so why do you assume or conclude that by telling her to go and sin no more He was somehow offering her salvation? undecided
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by brocab: 6:23am On May 22, 2023
{1 Corinthians 10:1-3} I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud, and that they all passed through the sea.They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food…
Year by year they brought their products to the temple for the remissions of their sins.
Don't forget the Holy Spirit would show Himself when Aaron the high priest entered into the chambers.
Through Jesus we have the Holy Spirit in our hearts-He teaches us all things to know about the scriptures of understanding. We don't need to travel to the temple to ask the priest for our forgiveness of sin. We can ask the Lord for our forgiveness in the comforts of our homes.
{1 Peter 3:20-22} who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In the ark a few people, only eight souls, were saved through water. And this water symbolizes the baptism that now saves you also not the removal of dirt from the body, but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to Him.…
So the man on the cross was baptized, he just needed to believe Jesus to be saved.
JeSoul:
Common now Chukwudi smiley you know different.

What water baptism did the thief on the cross next to Jesus go through? yet Jesus promised him he would be with Him together in paradise that day.

The woman caught in adultery. Did Jesus tell her "go and be baptized in order to escape hell"? No. He simply said "go and sin no more". Water Baptism is a part of the faith, a symbolic act. It is by no means a requirement to be saved.
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Kobojunkie: 6:29am On May 22, 2023
InesQor:
The water there means the water from the amniotic sac, the thin innermost membranous sac enclosing the developing embryo of higher vertebrates (reptiles, birds and mammals). When a woman is about to go into labour, they say "her water broke". It's the amniotic sac. Being born of water means to be born as a normal human being. Clones are not included. tongue
■ In other words, what Jesus was saying is that after
1. Being born of water (i.e. born as a human being)
2. You also need to be born AGAIN i.e. born of the spirit as well (born from above i.e. live your life as a spiritual entity that has complete and worshipful respect and accord for God, and in tune with God)
■ As Jesoul said correctly, baptism is a symbolic act. Have a lovely week ahead, bro.
1. If that had been the case then why Jesus Christ, in verses 5 -7 go on to stress how different being born-again is from being born from your mother's womb? undecided

2. You just twisted what Jesus Christ in order to assert the meaning you want instead. What Jesus Christ rather said was that to be born again means to be born of water and born of spirit and He went on to explain the life that results from the process of being born again is completely different from the life you obtained when you were born from your mother's womb. undecided

3. Baptism of repentance ---- abandoning of the Old Law to be born of the New Law ---- is what it means to be born of water. undecided
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On May 27, 2023
■ Water baptism is not merely symbolic,it is also salvific.why on earth did u think JESUS Was baptised? Althougt beign witout original sin never needed baptism yet got baptised 2 show us d way .matt 3:15 Jesus said "IN THIS WAY WE SHALL DO ALL THAT GOD REQUIRES" .
■ Why on earth do u think people were baptised on behalf of d dead
Baptism of Repentance has nothing to do with sin. Rather it has to do with abandoning the Old Law in order to begin living under the New Law, and Covenant in the Kingdom of God. undecided

2. That practice is Pagan and continues in pagan holds. undecided
Re: Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism? by KingPure(m): 7:12am On May 30, 2023
JeSoul:
Common now Chukwudi smiley you know different.

What water baptism did the thief on the cross next to Jesus go through? yet Jesus promised him he would be with Him together in paradise that day.

The woman caught in adultery. Did Jesus tell her "go and be baptized in order to escape hell"? No. He simply said "go and sin no more". Water Baptism is a part of the faith, a symbolic act. It is by no means a requirement to be saved.

I really don't know where or how to categorise your response at first, but looking deeper it sounds more harmful than harmless to a new convert, and to the body of Christ in general. And I'll bear the pain in taking you through the region of truth. But first understand that no word of Scriptures is qualified for natural, or say, mental interpretation. There's a sequence to all of God's revealed truths. For instance, before Jesus' arrival more than 2000 years ago, it was accepted and allowed by the council for money changers, animal merchants, and all other forms of trading to take place within the temple premises (which peradventure, was meant to ease the various dramatics par sacrifices when one was in Jerusalem for worship), but alas, Jesus came and stopped all of that (John 2:15-17)

Your cited references were correct, but were instances before the ratification of the New Covenant. Lemme clarify, both episodes took place before Jesus' decree/final word that "it is finished"(John 19:30). After He arose from the dead, particularly on His way back to heaven, He gave the believer that instruction in Matthew 28:19/ Mark16:16. So we may infer that Jesus might have did what He did to the man on the cross as a fulfilment of Scriptures based on mercy.

More than what I might have stated, I sincerely ask the Holy Spirit to continually reveal the truth of Scriptures to us on daily basis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why I Left The Jehovah's Witnesses / Gospel Of Barnabas: Judas Did Not Betray Jesus? / Do You Believe In Prayers Posted Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.