Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,435 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 - Travel (382) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (1292435 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (628) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by thekingskiddy(m): 12:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:
Good day great people of Nairaland.
Passport and COPR received this morning.
It’s been a hell of a journey. I give all glory to God Almighty for His mercies

Updated timeline:

OINP Applicant
AOR: 16 Sept
MEP/IP1/NA2: 13 Oct
IP2: 15 Dec
ADR-Height/Eye Color: 15 Jan
PPR: 24 Jan
Passport Sent: 31 Jan
COPR: 05 March
London Visa Office

Good luck to everyone on this journey.

Now ‘migrating’ to the Living in Canada �� Thread.

Congratulations! I was wondering with your ADR for height and eye color. Does it mean that IRCC requires official documentation of applicants' height and eye color?
I am asking because I just filled it in my application based on personal measurements at home. Please can you clarify. Others who are familiar with this should please comment too.
Once again, congrats.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by thekingskiddy(m): 12:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
happytbaby:
You no get liver. grin grin. Wish you speedy PPR

Thank you very much cool. I wish the same to everyone with this Canada dream.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Amakyzuu: 12:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good morning all. Has anyone written IELTS in IDP/MOD centre in Abuja? Whats the centre like as i haven't seen lots of people talk about Abuja centre?
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 12:48pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good morning dear e-fam. Please I need you guys to put in your 1 and 2's in something that has been troubling me recently. I just got admission to start my PhD here in 9ja and am currently sitting at IP2 with Nov AOR. MED taking on 30th Oct. So if I am issued PPR I should have till then to leave 9ja. Should I go ahead with the PhD studies or I should ignore the admission knowing fully well that I can't complete it without going and coming back to 9ja? I can't even predict what life in Canada will be like (As in can I do the PhD there with my 9ja degrees -Bsc-Msc-Mphil (Biochem.)). I know life in Canada will be job first, two or more years later school matter could follow and Only God knows. Please I need your candid advice
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Ethelia(f): 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:
Good morning dear e-fam. Please I need you guys to put in your 1 and 2's in something that has been troubling me recently. I just got admission to start my PhD here in 9ja and am currently sitting at IP2 with Nov AOR. MED taking on 30th Oct. So if I am issued PPR I should have till then to leave 9ja. Should I go ahead with the PhD studies or I should ignore the admission knowing fully well that I can't complete it without going and coming back to 9ja? I can't even predict what life in Canada will be like (As in can I do the PhD there with my 9ja degrees -Bsc-Msc-Mphil (Biochem.)). I know life in Canada will be job first, two or more years later school matter could follow and Only God knows. Please I need your candid advice

Go ahead with your PHD. When you get your PPR you can go for a short landing before coming back to complete your PHD. Do you anticipate your PHD taking more than 2 and a half years to complete?

#my2cents
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Ljay17: 12:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
thekingskiddy:
Congratulations! I was wondering with your ADR for height and eye color. Does it mean that IRCC requires official documentation of applicants' height and eye color?
I am asking because I just filled it in my application based on personal measurements at home. Please can you clarify. Others who are familiar with this should please comment too.
Once again, congrats.

This is mostly requested by London Visa Office. Some folks on here have termed it the ‘Pre-PPR’ ADR. I just inputted the same information I provided previously post ITA. It’s not a biggie.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:

Ultimately, the decision still resides with you. I'm sure during the course of your PHD program, you will have breaks. if you are financially buoyant,and you get Copr , you can travel to Canada, do your landing rites and travel back to finish your studies.

This is just an option. others can help with other viable ones.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by happytbaby: 1:06pm On Mar 06, 2018
PHD in Nigeria takes like 4 years if I am correct, he will not be able to meet the required number of days in Canada if he insists on completing that PHD.

My advice@ xtosync is to forget the PHD, as far as I am concerned no be school we dey go for here walahi, do not waste your time getting frustrated with the educational system here. Except there are other factors ooooo, Canada may be tough settling in and all that but you will be fine.

My advice is to get there, look for PHD openings as a permanent residen , you may work whilst you apply for positions and you may still work while doing the PHD....

flyboi1:

Ultimately, the decision still resides with you. I'm sure during the course of your PHD program, you will have breaks. if you are financially buoyant,and you get Copr , you can travel to Canada, do your landing rites and travel back to finish your studies.

This is just an option. others can help with other viable ones.

18 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 1:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate you. PhD duration is minimum 3years and Maximum 5 years in my school. I finished the MPhil from same school so I kinda have everything in place - Supervisor, research topic and familiarity with the process from A-Z. So I believe I shouldn't be spending more than that 3 years on it, God willing. I just have this silent fear that having a PhD from 9ja MIGHT be useless in Canada.
Ethelia:

Go ahead with your PHD. When you get your PPR you can go for a short landing before coming back to complete your PHD. Do you anticipate your PHD taking more than 2 and a half years to complete?

#my2cents
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Ethelia(f): 1:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:
Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate you. PhD duration is minimum 3years and Maximum 5 years in my school. I finished the MPhil from same school so I kinda have everything in place - Supervisor, research topic and familiarity with the process from A-Z. So I believe I shouldn't be spending more than that 3 years on it, God willing. I just have this silent fear that having a PhD from 9ja MIGHT be useless in Canada.

I understand your fears but I don't agree that a PHD from Nigeria would be useless in Canada. It might not put you on equal footing with other PHD holders in Canada but atleast you wont have to start from bachelors level (I hope I'm making sense...)

The choice remains yours but a bird in hand is worth 5 in the bush. I don't think you should just reject the phd. Atleast accept it first and start.... No one knows what might happen tomorrow. Canada might pass a new law stating you need to spend 1 year out of 5 to renew PR grin

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 1:31pm On Mar 06, 2018
happytbaby:
PHD in Nigeria takes like 4 years if I am correct, he will not be able to meet the required number of days in Canada if he insists on completing that PHD.

My advice@ xtosync is to forget the PHD, as far as I am concerned no be school we dey go for here walahi, do not waste your time getting frustrated with the educational system here. Except there are other factors ooooo, Canada may be tough settling in and all that but you will be fine.

My advice is to get there, look for PHD openings as a permanent residen , you may work whilst you apply for positions and you may still work while doing the PHD....

Thank you for your input. I am not very confident if I could get a PhD opening in Canada easily with a Supervisor that will be willing to take a PR on. Aside that I am also weary of the cost implication (Even as PR the money fit no be rice and beans I guess when compared to 9ja own). But as you rightly said, the education system is terrible here as evident from the current NASU strike. I just feel it could have been a walk in the park doing it in a familiar terrain since it will be like a continuation from my MPhil. A friend also with MPhil, wrapped hers up in two years and is just waiting for the administrative works to complete 3years before getting her result. I just 'tired o' 9ja no try. Is not that I like book too much but what can one do when that dream job refuse to come if not to dey kill time with studies and books.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by wurdz: 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
Awesome!!Thanks for the link and info.

GlitteringStar:

For the police certificate update, read this.

For the Russia PCC, read this post.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by mcstan18(m): 1:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:

Updated timeline:

OINP Applicant

Congrats
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by wurdz: 1:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
lol.....how many cartons?

SLEEKCHIC2:
All new immigrants who have received their PR and intending immigrants who are either in the pool or yet to apply should check out this site.

www.immigrantcircle.com

They cover every aspect from immigration to pre-arrival and so many other things. You all owe me stout when you get to Canada.

Sleek
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 1:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ethelia:

I understand your fears but I don't agree that a PHD from Nigeria would be useless in Canada. It might not put you on equal footing with other PHD holders in Canada but atleast you wont have to start from bachelors level (I hope I'm making sense...)

The choice remains yours but a bird in hand is worth 5 in the bush. I don't think you should just reject the phd. Atleast accept it first and start.... No one knows what might happen tomorrow. Canada might pass a new law stating you need to spend 1 year out of 5 to renew PR grin

I don't usually laugh much, but the bolded got me. cheesy grin grin

Amen O

Thanks once again. Sharing this out has been really helpful. I guess you're right.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
happytbaby:

you are absolutely correct. I don forget say we still dey Nigeria where PHD na 4-5 yrs depending on strike and how good your profs likes you, amongst other factors.

“O Canada! Our home and native land!
we cant wait to migrate and be glad"
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by aydotaone(m): 1:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:

Updated timeline:

OINP Applicant
London Visa Office

Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by blessings2017(m): 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:

Thank you for your input. I am not very confident if I could get a PhD opening in Canada easily with a Supervisor that will be willing to take a PR on. Aside that I am also weary of the cost implication (Even as PR the money fit no be rice and beans I guess when compared to 9ja own). But as you rightly said, the education system is terrible here as evident from the current NASU strike. I just feel it could have been a walk in the park doing it in a familiar terrain since it will be like a continuation from my MPhil. A friend also with MPhil, wrapped hers up in two years and is just waiting for the administrative works to complete 3years before getting her result. I just 'tired o' 9ja no try. Is not that I like book too much but what can one do when that dream job refuse to come if not to dey kill time with studies and books.

Bro, the earlier you adapt in Canada, the better for you. In Canada, foreign certificates don't matter much . Even after completion of PHD in Nigeria, you'll still hustle in Canada as a learner because there is no Canadian experience. You can always earn money while pursuing your PHD in Canada (where education better pass Naija sef), not to talk of school loans you can access as well. Tbh, this is a no-brainer for me.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Ljay17: 2:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
Thank you @4Barr, @Ethelia, @Newmum0615, @Qsola, @Glitteringstar, @Mcstan18 and @Ayditaone. Y’all are far too kind. smiley

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Ethelia(f): 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:

I don't usually laugh much, but the bolded got me. cheesy grin grin

Amen O

Thanks once again. Sharing this out has been really helpful. I guess you're right.

Lo, my point is that you should accept it and start. If when you get your PPR you find out it wont be possible to continue it while retaining your PPR then you can always abandon the PHD and return to Canada. You loose nothing by doing the PHD while waiting to land in Canada to see things for yourself....

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 2:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
blessings2017:

Bro, the earlier you adapt in Canada, the better for you. In Canada, foreign certificates don't matter much . Even after completion of PHD in Nigeria, you'll still hustle in Canada as a learner because there is no Canadian experience. You can always earn money while pursuing your PHD in Canada (where education better pass Naija sef), not to talk of school loans you can access as well. Tbh, this is a no-brainer for me.

Cheers

A big sense you are making here.

In the word's of my Brother "Carry on... You can be the next George Weah. After touring the world and through it all, you might one day come home and be the next president or head NAFDAC. You never know. Your PhD counts 20, 30 years from now at HOME."
The home talk was churning my stomach... I was like, "this 9ja we all wan run leave angry undecided When I don dey carry the red and white flag with maple leaves already in my dreams." But I felt he also has a point. Everyone has valid points, but I am still at sea. I just wish I know the processes for studies in CAD, if it is going to be as easy or less difficult as admission process, research process and study process in 9ja.
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by caon: 2:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:

Updated timeline:

OINP Applicant
London Visa Office

congrats
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 2:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ethelia:

Lo, my point is that you should accept it and start. If when you get your PPR you find out it wont be possible to continue it while retaining your PPR then you can always abandon the PHD and return to Canada. You loose nothing by doing the PHD while waiting to land in Canada to see things for yourself....

@Ethelia, I must confess I am tilting towards your reasoning. Thank you Sister.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by thekingskiddy(m): 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ljay17:

This is mostly requested by London Visa Office. Some folks on here have termed it the ‘Pre-PPR’ ADR. I just inputted the same information I provided previously post ITA. It’s not a biggie.

Cheers
Thanks for the clarification. All the best with the new Canny adventures loading..
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Losami(m): 2:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
smslive2:
Your CRS is what again? grin grin grin grin
PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS PLEASE embarassed IGNORE THE DISTRACTION ( THE 419 AND CSR)
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by thekingskiddy(m): 2:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
xtosync:

A big sense you are making here.

In the word's of my Brother "Carry on... You can be the next George Weah. After touring the world and through it all, you might one day come home and be the next president or head NAFDAC. You never know. Your PhD counts 20, 30 years from now at HOME."
The home talk was churning my stomach... I was like, "this 9ja we all wan run leave angry undecided When I don dey carry the red and white flag with maple leaves already in my dreams." But I felt he also has a point. Everyone has valid points, but I am still at sea. I just wish I know the processes for studies in CAD, if it is going to be as easy or less difficult as admission process, research process and study process in 9ja.
In addition to the suggestions already made, let me add my #2cents too.
I am a bit familiar with the graduate program formalities in Canada and i can tell you that you stand a better chance getting accepted to a PhD as a PR there. The process usually starts with you identifying potential supervisors in your university of choice and contacting them to explain how your work aligns with them and why you are qualified to be admitted to the graduate program (MSc./PhD.). This is usually the hardest stage because you need to show you know the research interests of the professor and that you are motivated. From personal experience, these professors prefer PR or citizens because they cost less in terms of funding compared to foreign students. My point with all of this is that you shouldn't think your chances of gaining admission to a Canadian university are slim. In fact, the opposite is true, especially if you have some publications (which I assume you do, as an MPhil.).
However, since you do not have physical evidence of PR yet, you have nothing to lose and all to gain by accepting the PhD admission you have at hand. Then when the PR comes, you can re-evaluate your options.
If I were you, this is exactly what I would do. I hope this helps.
Regards.

11 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by nat138: 3:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
thekingskiddy:

I am a bit familiar with the graduate program formalities in Canada and i can tell you that you stand a better chance getting accepted to a PhD as a PR there. The process usually starts with you identifying potential supervisors in your university of choice and contacting them to explain how your work aligns with them and why you are qualified to be admitted to the graduate program (MSc./PhD.). This is usually the hardest stage because you need to show you know the research interests of the professor and that you are motivated. From personal experience, these professors prefer PR or citizens because they cost less in terms of funding compared to foreign students. My point with all of this is that you shouldn't think your chances of gaining admission to a Canadian university are slim. In fact, the opposite is true, especially if you have some publications (which I assume you do, as an MPhil.).
However, since you do not have physical evidence of PR yet, you have nothing to lose and all to gain by accepting the PhD admission you have at hand. Then when the PR comes, you can re-evaluate your options.

Regards.

Thank you for this your comment @thekingskiddy. I find it appalling how most of us are very quick to bash our educational system at the slightest opportunity with flimsy comments like "the degrees from Nigeria are useless" blah blah. Was this not the foundation most of us had? Am I implying things are not bad? far from it, things are bad and we could do way better as a country but we should never forget this is our foundation upon which we all attained all the foreign degrees we now pride in.
For the OP, I will suggest you stick with your admission, but be on the look as you have been advised for PhD opportunities in Canada, look for scholarships and all. Research you field thoroughly in Canada, identify schools, email the faculties back and forth and trust me, they are willing to help and will let you know of funding opportunities.
If a faculty picks interest in you, trust me they will go all out for you. Remember that a PhD is not just a mere additional degree, so the faculty are looking more for partnerships between themselves and prospective candidates and will sometimes go the extra mile for you. Their ratings depend on your success as well.
There is no limit to the opportunities that exist in academia, especially if you are in a field that is in demand. Know your onions in and out.
For now, while you await the PR process to be finished, start your PhD, do a soft landing once PR is finalised, that will afford you the opportunity to meet with faculty you have been corresponding with and take it from there. Don't turn down the PhD offer in Nigeria till something more concrete comes up, you may think you are doing this just to keep busy but I am struggling to believe that, if your heart and soul was not in it, I don't think PhD would have even been on your plate in the first place.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Iceeypetra: 3:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
I submitted my profile to the pool but it did not score me instead it said profile ineligible while my documents keep showing transmitted. what does that mean? kindly help
NB: its over 7 days now
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by PALsConcierge: 3:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
Yes you can include it as this may improve your chances of being selected to apply for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You may also choose to exclude it if you already have at least 2 years post NYSC paid work experience. Best of luck in your application.

Kingkong101:
I am about to file in application for Canada PR. During my NYSC, I serve under a ministry which in turn deployed us to a construction company and we were paid every month by the company aside the normal allowe from federal government..

My question is, will it be advisable to include the NYSC experience year in my application for Canada immigration..

Pls I need your advise..Thanks
Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by xtosync: 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
thekingskiddy:

Regards.

Thank you so much for this insight. You are very correct about the bolded. I remember when I started the MPhil, my Msc supervisor was a Prof. that had mood swings. I went through hell during my MSc with him, so he was not an option. The one I preferred - a decent nice deeper life Prof. said he was not keen on the area I am working on (Food and Nutrition). The third prof's excuse was that he is occupied. I was almost giving up until my cousin personally spoke to one of our Prof. on my behalf. At then he seems not likely an option because he was mostly into Environment and Toxicology. But he give me a chance and I guess I impressed him with my proposal and was able to convince him of a novel idea of research area I had in mind to work on. So far so good, he has been most kind and unlike my MSc Supervisor, an Angel of sort. As he is urging me on for the PhD. During the MPhil, I had to buy almost all equipment I used to do my research which was almost clocking 1M (Due to poor state of our laboratory), so I am still using these equipment for continuation of my research.
My fear about getting into the school system in Canada is because my BSc is quite poor (2.2) and MSc also poor (57%) hence the MPhil. But funny enough my NOC is IT based(0213). Never had paid working experience as a Biochemist.
Was hoping for a lecturing job before PR dream started floating and now almost a reality. 9ja is really frustrating person (Had to go for a BSc in Comp. Sc. (2.1) (finished last year along with the MPhil) just to widening my options for a better work opportunity. With all these educations I am still not sure how life here might look like (As my only connection, Honorable or politician person na Baba God). So my firm decision to move. But as per Job in CAD, I don't know what the situation is with the Biochem certs too. I am staking my bet more on the BSc in Comp Sc. along with work experience as that is what I have been doing for 10yrs now. Someone advised me to go for an Msc program with my BSc Comp Sc. or a course with Biochem and CS in CAD if the PR clicked and forget the PhD in 9ja.
I am sorry if blaring my life story here seems like a bore, but I just need a guided direction from Seniors. Your knocks and suggestions are highly appreciated.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 by Mzstephh(f): 4:13pm On Mar 06, 2018
Mehn yes o 26th of December, my status did change to IP2 on the 27th of February. But my visa office is London and boy I have heard stuff about them wasting time,
olajide21:

Countless December AoR have gotten PPR. Some Nigerians and some non Nigerians. IRCC does not issue PPR chronologically (I wish they do). Even some February have received PPR. Are December AoR?

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (628)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.