Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (202) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916305 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kfrosh: 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2018
I need a response for this please.
kfrosh:
Hello house!

I registered for Evaluation of my WAEC result using WES. WAEC has sent the result, WES has received it but WES is now waiting for another Verification from WAEC to determine the authencity of the result. This is taking weeks, this is the third week now and I am running out of time already.
Please those that have been in this situation before, what can I do to speed up the process as I am running out of time and options.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by oluwasegun007(m): 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2018
Good day all...

I applied for us student visa last year but was not successful at the interview. However am reapplying this year but I got info that I need to pay half of service fee since its not upto a year.... I need someone to confirm if true or not. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Johnolukolade(m): 9:18pm On Apr 15, 2018
kfrosh:
Hello house!

I registered for Evaluation of my WAEC result using WES. WAEC has sent the result, WES has received it but WES is now waiting for another Verification from WAEC to determine the authencity of the result. This is taking weeks, this is the third week now and I am running out of time already.
Please those that have been in this situation before, what can I do to speed up the process as I am running out of time and options.

Make contact with someone at WAEC office, tell them they need to verify your docs via their mail. That's where the delay is.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Johnolukolade(m): 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2018
oluwasegun007:
Good day all...

I applied for us student visa last year but was not successful at the interview. However am reapplying this year but I got info that I need to pay half of service fee since its not upto a year.... I need someone to confirm if true or not. Thanks
Half of *service*fee You mean SEVIS fee?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kodeya(m): 9:46pm On Apr 15, 2018
Someone who knows the answer should talk. Tenkiu.

kodeya:
Good day everyone,

Please explain the "emergency" option we have in the visa scheduling page. How does it works ? Do they charge extra ?

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tunapawizzy: 9:59pm On Apr 15, 2018
Laee:
You do not need all the mentioned documents below. You are good with the amount statement u mentioned. Just know how to back yourself up thats it.
Thanks....God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by gbenga4sure(m): 10:05pm On Apr 15, 2018
orimahspence:

@lincoffm God bless you boss, please I am interested in the toefl half payment , I've mailed you but got no response, my email is orimahspence@yahoo.com

God bless you and yours more
u tried sending a message to me but I couldn't find it.seems I av a problem with my mail.so I had to find one of your mentions to quote u.pls u can contact me on kukoyi 6XTNSZD akinlolu@facebook
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kfrosh: 10:11pm On Apr 15, 2018
Thanks mate! Will do that ASAP
Johnolukolade:

Make contact with someone at WAEC office, tell them they need to verify your docs via their mail. That's where the delay is.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Coxtie(m): 10:21pm On Apr 15, 2018
Please is there anyone that can post the link to where I can find roommates and housing in international admitted students..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bolubej: 11:09pm On Apr 15, 2018
please house, i have a burning question. Does a newly admitted student with funding need to provide statement of account to obtain a student visa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Jesusbabygirl(f): 3:35am On Apr 16, 2018
bigfrancis21:

I just wanted to say that you are getting emotional over this topic, and you sound like MBA is something you want to do. I didn't mean to get you upset if I did nor discourage you. You are also quite excited over the quoted figures you've seen online and you think it is that easy but you need to be aware of these:

1) I assume that you are in Nigeria and would be studying MBA on an F1 visa. MBA is not a STEM-designated course which means that you cannot be employed on an H1B visa after graduation by any company. You will not be eligible for OPT (3-year post-graduation work opportunity for STEM students). You would need to have permanent residency to be employable nowadays which may likely take you an extra 1 to 3 years post-graduation to obtain. By the time you obtain your residency, you would not have been 'fresh off from school' as some employers prefer. Even for STEM-designated courses, with Trump's administration, chances of H1B sponsorship nowadays are very very slim.
Full list of STEM courses: https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf

2) You probably don't know this but connection/knowing someone or 'networking' as they call it here is just as common as it is in Nigeria. Most of these people with 6 figures from an MBA landed their positions through old-boy friendships, connections or networking, in addition to having their MBA of course. An average Joe with an MBA can still land such high-paying positions but you have to be truly exceptional at what you do.

3) Speaking about your much-touted ROI. Now let us do the math. You spent $150,000 on average in heavy student debt to get an MBA. Let us assume that you are one lucky son of the stars and as an F1 student you graduated and out of nowhere got 'H1B sponsorship' at a $120,000 per year position right after graduation. Now you've worked so hard in school, made As and landed that $120,000 per year dream job. Wonderful.

Now you probably forgot that a heavy chunk of your income is taken away in taxes. For a $120,000 per year income, nearly $40,000 is taken from your paycheck in taxes. Precisely, $81,790 is what is left over after taxes are accounted for, which is about $6,815 per month. That is even though on paper it says that you earn $120,000, your actual take-home pay is $81,790 which is not 6-figures that you expected. https://www.taxformcalculator.com/tax/120000.html

Now it is time to start paying back all that student loan. The total amount which you will end up paying is probably over $200,000 which includes interest payments. You've graduated and the bank or financial institution has sent you a staggering bill of over $200,000 at xy% interest for 20 years with a monthly payment of $3250. Out of $6815 per month pay check ($3,145.26 every 2 weeks), you have to

- pay your student loan debt (anywhere between $3000 to $3,500 for that loan amount) per month. Read up here on this American who originally borrowed $68,000 to go to school who has to pay $113,000 back including interest. http://www.businessinsider.com/budget-paying-student-loans-2016-7 For this lady, she has to pay $2230 in monthly student loan payment for a bill of $113,000. For a bill of over $200k, you can expect your monthly payments to be nearly twice as $2230.

- pay your house rent (anywhere from $700 to $3000 depending on the housing type, number of rooms in the apartment rented, level of luxurious living) or monthly mortgage payments (if you bought a home)
- pay your utilities (you pay for all the 24-hour light, gas, Internet and running water that you enjoy - $100 to $350 on average depending on your level of usage)
- pay your monthly phone bill ($50 on average)
- pay your monthly auto loan (anywhere from $250 to $400)
- pay your monthly car insurance (anywhere from $80 to as high as $500 depending on how often you get into accidents, if you constantly get police tickets for overspeeding, running the red/stop light/sign etc. which stay on your driving record and bump up your monthly payments)
- pay for gassing up for your car ($100 on average)
- pay for feeding/groceries ($100 on average, that is if you can cook, which saves you more money than eating out)
- credit card bills/debt (if you accumulate any)
- miscellaneous expenses (such as parking tickets, tolls, relatives back home etc.)

Miscellaneous expenses: maybe in some months you manage to squeeze out $100 per month to save $500 and before you know it your family relative calls you from Nigeria telling you how they are suffering asking you to send them ordinary $1,000 so that they can start enjoying life. You look at your savings and you barely have $500 saved up and you don't know how to communicate this to your relative after all you already boasted to them sometime ago that you earn 6 figures per year. These calls just never stop coming in regularly. Now you are stuck in the rat race of majority of Americans - living from paycheck to paycheck and you dare cannot afford to lose your job.

At the end of the month, you are left with nothing as you struggle month to month servicing your $200k debt in student loans. High ROI isn't it?
It would be so easy for you to imagine an adjusted $81,000 per annum salary on a debt of over $200,000 as good ROI.

This is the best post I have read on NL in a while. When I hear that a Nigerian comes to the US on student loan because of it is MBA, I laff in Chinese. I am an MBA student studying in an OK school. Could I have gotten admitted to a higher ranked school, I would say yes but I tried to be real. I cannot borrow $100,000 and be running up and down to get a job that I might never get. I have seen graduates of my school, evn non-Americans get jobs in Amazon and Boeing. F-1 visa student is F-1 visa student whether in Harvard or "1-building" school. Of course, school ranking helps but immigration in the United States is very unfriendly right now.Like you said, MBA is not a STEM course and even for the STEM courses, you neeed to get a job to enjoy the OPT. The US hustle is real my people.

13 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by oluwasegun007(m): 5:33am On Apr 16, 2018
Johnolukolade:

Half of *service*fee You mean SEVIS fee?

Yes SEVIS fee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tyup(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2018
ThePianoGuy:
it all depends on you, studying in the USA is very expensive but it’s worth it. I would have mentioned other countries here but this thread is strictly for America student visa

okay bro pls hw can i reach you so we'd can talk

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by BBFE: 8:30am On Apr 16, 2018
Jesusbabygirl:
This is the best post I have read on NL in a while. When I hear that a Nigerian comes to the US on student loan because of it is MBA, I laff in Chinese. I am an MBA student studying in an OK school. Could I have gotten admitted to a higher ranked school, I would say yes but I tried to be real. I cannot borrow $100,000 and be running up and down to get a job that I might never get. I have seen graduates of my school, evn non-Americans get jobs in Amazon and Boeing. F-1 visa student is F-1 visa student whether in Harvard or "1-building" school. Of course, school ranking helps but immigration in the United States is very unfriendly right now.Like you said, MBA is not a STEM course and even for the STEM courses, you neeed to get a job to enjoy the OPT. The US hustle is real my people.

There is a reason why there is loan and lenders are aware of the risks inherent in granting loans. No lender would give you a 100k loan without the necessary risk assessment. They look at your GMAT score, your undergraduate degree (they like STEM graduates), your school, your pre-MBA work experience and post-MBA career aspirations, your Pre-MBA salary, etc.

So the idea that taking a loan is bad must be properly situated. Treasury Bills and Bond yields are around 14%, if you are from Nigeria and barring FX risk, it pays to find your MBA with a loan and earn the spread between the lower cost of debt and the higher yields.

It is a worthy risk to fund your education with a loan if that is the only option you have. This especially true if you're a Nigerian. All MBA grads have a one year OPT and can be employed and file for H1B. But you have to picked at the first trial else you can't try next time. The difference is that the STEM guys can go for the H1B lottery three times while an MBA grad on 12 months OPT goes once.

Another point is that things are changing and many MBA concentrations are getting approved as STEM designated. So the submission that MBA degrees are not STEM designated is being disrupted.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Yemiiee: 8:55am On Apr 16, 2018
TravelDrim:
Una no dey post transcript again
Abi V.O no dey give visa again cheesy grin cheesy grin
We need those stories jare...

That’s what I was thinking or people have taken a chill pill for US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kidUrbane: 9:11am On Apr 16, 2018
Good morning House,
I hope we all enjoyed our weekend, I pray this new week be filled with blessings for us. Please I would like to know if it is reasonable to apply for an F1 visa without NYSC certificate. I just graduated from the university and I’ve started processing my admissions as I do not intend to participate in the NYSC program. Would this be a red-flag during my interview? Another thing is, I am crossing to a new masters program that is not related to my undergraduate program. Please what are my chances? Thank you and God bless you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adebisisadiq: 10:03am On Apr 16, 2018
Good morning please I need help concerning how to pay for my servis fee....anybody that can help should please contact me thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Kyautaz: 10:43am On Apr 16, 2018
Hello room. I went for b1/b2 interview on 21st february but was denied. Now I got admission at towson university maryland to study nursing. I was studying medicine and surgery here but my uncle was not happy with the school and their series of strikes and inability to teach well. So pls i want advices and i want to know if towson university is a good school. Thanks in advance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 16, 2018
Succeeded in reading this thread backward from the beginning. So many wonderful and honest guidance really here.
But I think there are some really terrible advices here.
I really advice that you do not go for visa interview and tell lies on factual matter. If your honest situation will result in not being granted visa, for the life of great father Abraham!, not going to USA is not going to destroy you.
Telling a lie at the embassy and succeeding is detrimental to even you quite later. Yes!
I've not been to the USA or even Europe but my siblings who studied abroad have told me telling a lie is the worst thing you could do your life abroad as a student right from the embassy.
Pls be honest and professional.
If you don't get the visa try again later or f*ck it. There are other countries to go to. USA is not the only advanced country to study.
You also destroy the integrity of your country when you lie at the embassy. Because they eventually see your desperate lies.
Desperation to study in the USA is totally unnecessary. Pls have a bigger picture in your mind.
Have a nice day!

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Shigoboy(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2018
Hello guys, to those that recently got admitted to cleveland state university, how long does it take to hear from them after applying?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sultanfortune(m): 12:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
Shigoboy:
Hello guys, to those that recently got admitted to cleveland state university, how long does it take to hear from them after applying?
Undergraduate or graduate?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Raycupid: 1:02pm On Apr 16, 2018
tunapawizzy:

Thanks....God bless
Bro reply PM,heading to prairie view too, electrical and electronics MSC
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kidUrbane: 3:42pm On Apr 16, 2018
please anybody with relevant suggestion should help attend to my question. Thank you.
Good morning House,
I hope we all enjoyed our weekend, I pray this new week be filled with blessings for us. Please I would like to know if it is reasonable to apply for an F1 visa without NYSC certificate. I just graduated from the university and I’ve started processing my admissions as I do not intend to participate in the NYSC program. Would this be a red-flag during my interview? Another thing is, I am crossing to a new masters program that is not related to my undergraduate program. Please what are my chances? Thank yo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:53pm On Apr 16, 2018
kidUrbane:
please anybody with relevant suggestion should help attend to my question. Thank you.
Good morning House,
I hope we all enjoyed our weekend, I pray this new week be filled with blessings for us. Please I would like to know if it is reasonable to apply for an F1 visa without NYSC certificate. I just graduated from the university and I’ve started processing my admissions as I do not intend to participate in the NYSC program. Would this be a red-flag during my interview? Another thing is, I am crossing to a new masters program that is not related to my undergraduate program. Please what are my chances? Thank yo

NYSC is a Nigerian thing and not a mandatory thing so that should be fine . You might be asked what you been doing after graduation and need to respond to that

that been said , the US immigration policy is tight at the moment so a lot more people who think they are not coming back might end up coming back. That just the reality so it good to have a backup . Most jobs in Nigeria do ask for NYSC , so i think it a good to have even if you never use it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 16, 2018
kidUrbane:
Good morning House,
No nysc does not affect your US student visa outcome in anyway.
If you need speed, then forget it and go to your masters.
You could do it years later or even get an exemption certificate later!
The exemption certificate serves same purpose as the Nysc certificate.
Grab your chances with both hands when you have one

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.