Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,511 members, 7,830,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (331) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (921571 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mcafeez: 1:00am On Jun 10, 2018
philipinho:
Just like Adedoja99 and Stella91, I was also at the embassy with my wife on the 8th of June. I think I met Stella91 on the queue asking her if she was related to someone I know (Eneh Jones Odeh). She was even complaining about her son that he doesn't like to sit down

Prior to our turn, I noticed thay the VO had already turned down 3 of those before us.
Anyway, Mine/ours went this way. (not exactly)
However wasn't up to 3mins

VO: Good morning
us: good morning

Vo: are you going together and who is the primary applicant.
Wife: I am

Vo: why are you going to the US?
Wife: to study at UTS, new york.

Vo: who is paying for it
Wife: it's a full phd scholarship (5 years)

Vo: plus stipends?
Wife: yes.

vo: you had already been to uts for your Master's, was that before you got married?
Wife: yes

Vo: any children
Couple : no

Vo: pass me your marriage certificate.

I gave her the 2 certificates... She didn't even look at them

vo: who is sponsoring your husband
Wife: his father

vo didn't ask for bank statement.

Vo: what do you do and what does your father do?
Me: i'm a christian minister and my father too

Vo: your visas have been approved, make sure you hold on to your marriage certificates in case you are asked at the poE.

Couple: thank you (I couldn't believe it was so quick, not even up to 3mins)
Vo: enjoy your trip

Note, none of the things / questions we prepared for were asked apart from the marriage certificates.
Our surnames weren't even the same on our new passports even though we got them after our wedding which we had this year (she hadn't done her change of name)
She didn't even check our old passports
And going to New York wasn't a problem.

I hope this helps. Thanks

It is call blessing... Congrats

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mcafeez: 1:08am On Jun 10, 2018
alvanDgreat:
Please house someone should give me a better clarification.
The duration for the MSc program on my i-20 is written 5 years. please I don't actually understand, I thought MSc program is basically 2yrs.

someone should enlighten me please.

Best Regards.

Masters could only be 12months or 24months. 5years is a mistake, you need to contact your institution.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by OluDare01(m): 1:19am On Jun 10, 2018
alvanDgreat:
Please house someone should give me a better clarification.
The duration for the MSc program on my i-20 is written 5 years. please I don't actually understand, I thought MSc program is basically 2yrs.

someone should enlighten me please.

Best Regards.
Most schools write 36 months as the duration of your masters program. I think you should check with your school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:58am On Jun 10, 2018
LearnAndObey:
Good work going on here, Please help me cross check my transcript, and point out any errors.

I am ready to learn and accept, correct anything you all think should be changed.

Me: Good Morning
VO: Good Morning, Pass me your passport and i-20
ME: I did sharply
VO: why going to the US
Me: I am going to Cleveland Land State University for my BSC in Information Sysystem
VO: how did you get to know about the school?
ME: My Dad's friend who is an alumni of the school recommended it to me, and as a result of this. I went online to read more on the college ranking, program offered and it's notable alumnus.
VO: How many Schools did you apply to?
ME: 5
VO: Name them
ME: Cleveland State University, Georgia State University, Washington and Lee University, Appalachian State University, and Duke University
VO: How many admitted you?
ME: Cleveland State University, am still awaiting Georgia State University admission decision.
VO: Why Cleveland State University for a business seeking degree and not top schools.
Me: A degree in Information Systems from Cleveland State University which I will be obtaining from Monte Ahuja College of business Campus is ranked among one of the best business schools in the US which is one of the 5% /business schools which has a professional ranking in the US today, secondly, the program is designed not to only developed my business managerial and financial skills, but to also build me Technically, equipping me with the best way to utilize the modern technology.
VO: so, why Information Systems
ME: Information Systems is a course that is very much in line with my career, considering the varieties of career field this course offers which gives me the opportunity of working in a business and Technical field.
VO: When did you finish High School?
ME: 2015
VO: What have you been doing since then?
ME: After my high school, I went for an apprenticeship in Computer and hardware engineering, which was for 12 months with 6 months serving period making 18 months. After this, I proceeded as an apprentice to gain knowledge on MS word, Software installation, Ethernet Connectivity and little of graphics for total of 12 Months.
VO: Who's sponsoring you?
ME: My Uncle
VO: What does he do?
ME: He is a Professor in Telecommunication Science Department at Bleep University, and also own a Telecommunication Company.
VO: Why is he spending that huge amount on you?
Me: He's my guildian, secondly he's counting on me to come and use my attained skills to elevate his Company's standard.
VO: Can I have his bank Statement.
Me: Of course you can, here is it.
Vo: Glance through it and returned, and said I have approved your Visa.

Guys please help me look into this transcript, don't be scared to abuse or correct anything.
I am not avoiding insult at all.

agosismyhome, theamerican, Femi312, Sorelee, Chidinho10, Folmus, imperiouxx, Bigfrancis

1. Did you really apply for BS Information Systems at Duke University? SMH... Na like this you want go shoot yourself for leg for embassy.

2. When you want to lie with your school selections (something I don't recommend), at least lie with schools along the same range or ranking. What if the VO hears Duke University and then asks you a question about BS Information Systems (a non existent program) there? Wetin you go talk?

3. I've always mentioned that if your school is not strongly ranked (top 50), don't mention ranking to the VO. Look for other unique things about the school and say. Monte Ahuja College of Business at Cleveland State University is unranked by US News while your transcript is saying otherwise. Look for other inquire things about your program and school to tell the VO. If your school is not fantastically ranked, don't mention ranking at your interview.

4. Work on your "Why Information Systems". That response sounds too generic and doesn't contain any content that can convince anybody.

5. Your sponsorship might be an issue since you got no financial aid from the school and you're fully sponsored by an uncle who should have a different surname from yours.

6. Your reason why he is spending so much on you is weak. Why should he spend so much on you when he can hire someone to do the job for his company and even save extra $$?

Work thoroughly on your transcript and Do Not LIE about your school choices. I hope you wrote Standardized tests?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 2:44am On Jun 10, 2018
LearnAndObey:
Good work going on here, Please help me cross check my transcript, and point out any errors.

I am ready to learn and accept, correct anything you all think should be changed.

Me: Good Morning
VO: Good Morning, Pass me your passport and i-20
ME: I did sharply
VO: why going to the US
Me: I am going to Cleveland Land State University for my BSC in Information Sysystem
VO: how did you get to know about the school?
ME: My Dad's friend who is an alumni of the school recommended it to me, and as a result of this. I went online to read more on the college ranking, program offered and it's notable alumnus.
ME: Cleveland State University, Georgia State University, Washington and Lee University, Appalachian State University, and Duke University
ME: Cleveland State University, am still awaiting Georgia State University admission decision.
VO: Why Cleveland State University for a business seeking degree and not top schools.
Me: A degree in Information Systems from Cleveland State University which I will be obtaining from Monte Ahuja College of business Campus is ranked among one of the best business schools in the US which is one of the 5% /business schools which has a professional ranking in the US today, secondly, the program is designed not to only developed my business managerial and financial skills, but to also build me Technically, equipping me with the best way to utilize the modern technology.
VO: so, why Information Systems
ME: Information Systems is a course that is very much in line with my career, considering the varieties of career field this course offers which gives me the opportunity of working in a business and Technical field.
VO: When did you finish High School?
ME: 2015
VO: What have you been doing since then?
ME: After my high school, I went for an apprenticeship in Computer and hardware engineering, which was for 12 months with 6 months serving period making 18 months. After this, I proceeded as an apprentice to gain knowledge on MS word, Software installation, Ethernet Connectivity and little of graphics for total of 12 Months.
VO: Who's sponsoring you?
ME: My Uncle
VO: What does he do?
ME: He is a Professor in Telecommunication Science Department at Bleep University, and also own a Telecommunication Company.
Me: He's my guildian, secondly he's counting on me to come and use my attained skills to elevate his Company's standard.

Guys please help me look into this transcript, don't be scared to abuse or correct anything.
I am not avoiding insult at all.

agosismyhome, theamerican, Femi312, Sorelee, Chidinho10, Folmus, imperiouxx, Bigfrancis

Congratulations!! Or am I seeing the wrong thing?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 2:45am On Jun 10, 2018
Chidinho10:

1. Did you really apply for BS Information Systems at Duke University? SMH... Na like this you want go shoot yourself for leg for embassy.

2. When you want to lie with your school selections (something I don't recommend), at least lie with schools along the same range or ranking. What if the VO hears Duke University and then asks you a question about BS Information Systems (a non existent program) there? Wetin you go talk?

3. I've always mentioned that if your school is not strongly ranked (top 50), don't mention ranking to the VO. Look for other unique things about the school and say. Monte Ahuja College of Business at Cleveland State University is unranked by US News while your transcript is saying otherwise. Look for other inquire things about your program and school to tell the VO. If your school is not fantastically ranked, don't mention ranking at your interview.

4. Work on your "Why Information Systems". That response sounds too generic and doesn't contain any content that can convince anybody.

5. Your sponsorship might be an issue since you got no financial aid from the school and you're fully sponsored by an uncle who should have a different surname from yours.

6. Your reason why he is spending so much on you is weak. Why should he spend so much on you when he can hire someone to do the job for his company and even save extra $$?

Work thoroughly on your transcript and Do Not LIE about your school choices. I hope you wrote Standardized tests?

Haha you are doing a great job here. Was surprised when he mentioned duke university grin. I was wondering if he truly applied there cos i don't think he knows the ranking and wild gap between duke and other universities he applied to

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 2:47am On Jun 10, 2018
adedoja99:

Congratulations!! Or am I seeing the wrong thing?

Proposed transcript cheesy grin. Congrats in advance to him

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 2:54am On Jun 10, 2018
Ubah1:

Proposed transcript cheesy grin. Congrats in advance to him

Lmao grin grin I'd love to know what's happening

VO: Good morning, pass me your passport and i-20
Learnandobey: I did sharply grin..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:57am On Jun 10, 2018
LearnAndObey:

If you didn't not actually apply to the schools above then why lie ..... what if the Vo drills down to a particular school here or attend the school and ask you more detailed question
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:00am On Jun 10, 2018
Ubah1:

Haha you are doing a great job here. Was surprised when he mentioned duke university grin. I was wondering if he truly applied there cos i don't think he knows the ranking and wild gap between duke and other universities he applied to

Lol, na so e dey be
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 3:02am On Jun 10, 2018
philipinho:
Just like Adedoja99 and Stella91, I was also at the embassy with my wife on the 8th of June. I think I met Stella91 on the queue asking her if she was related to someone I know (Eneh Jones Odeh). She was even complaining about her son that he doesn't like to sit down

Prior to our turn, I noticed thay the VO had already turned down 3 of those before us.
Anyway, Mine/ours went this way. (not exactly)
However wasn't up to 3mins

us: good morning

Vo: are you going together and who is the primary applicant.
Wife: I am

Vo: why are you going to the US?
Wife: to study at UTS, new york.

Vo: who is paying for it
Wife: it's a full phd scholarship (5 years)

Vo: plus stipends?
Wife: yes.

vo: you had already been to uts for your Master's, was that before you got married?
Wife: yes

Vo: any children
Couple : no

Vo: pass me your marriage certificate.

I gave her the 2 certificates... She didn't even look at them

vo: who is sponsoring your husband
Wife: his father

vo didn't ask for bank statement.

Vo: what do you do and what does your father do?
Me: i'm a christian minister and my father too

Vo: your visas have been approved, make sure you hold on to your marriage certificates in case you are asked at the poE.

Couple: thank you (I couldn't believe it was so quick, not even up to 3mins)
Vo: enjoy your trip

Note, none of the things / questions we prepared for were asked apart from the marriage certificates.
Our surnames weren't even the same on our new passports even though we got them after our wedding which we had this year (she hadn't done her change of name)
She didn't even check our old passports
And going to New York wasn't a problem.

I hope this helps. Thanks

Congratulations!! I'm guessing the white woman interviewed you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by whyqueu(m): 3:29am On Jun 10, 2018
adedoja99:

Lmao grin grin I'd love to know what's happening
VO: Good morning, pass me your passport and i-20 Learnandobey: I did sharply grin..
Nah Faith they apply..lol ... The guy don over prepare lol....

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 4:31am On Jun 10, 2018
[size=8pt][/size][quote author=Stella91 post=68328959]how is everyone doing , i went for my interview on Friday 8 June, below is my transcript. I went with my husband and 2kids .

me :Goodmorning ma'am

vo: Good morning
my husband also greeted including my 1 year old daughter �(that on even waived at her ) she smiled back and waived too
vo: pass me you i20 and passport (I'm sorry pls she begs she types profusely �
me : no problem

me : I did as instructed

vo: where are you going ?

me: pennsylvania state university , university park pennsylvania
vo : oh great

vo: your a practising lawyer right?
me : yes mam

vo: what branch of law
me : General law

vo: what branch of law are you going to specialize in ?
me : oil and gas law

vo: ok, tell me more about it
me : oil and gas law the regulates to the petroleum industry , after achieving this masters degree i intend coming back to nigeria to apply for attorney position in some of the oil companies here , the like of shell , agip, etc.

vo: how do you plan to fund for your studies ?
me: as stated on my i20 , i got a scholarship with $40,000 ,leaving me with 10, 000 only to pay for my tuition which I was asked to transfer $23,700 to the school for my tuition and part of my living expenses, however my spouse here will be paying the remaing ancillary fees .

vo: how did you get the scholarship?
me : I took a test and essays and passed so I was given the scholarship through an online interview with Dean Stephen Barnes (who is the Dean of the faculty of law )and other 3 professors .

vo: ok cool ,( turns to my husband )what do you do ?
hubby : I deal on shipping logistics , haulage and clearing
vo: do you have trucks (she ask smiling )

hubby : yes
vo: how many
hubby :9

vo : employee?
hubby : yes 15
vo : so you all are going to the us?

Sweet interview...Congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ElDeeVee(m): 4:50am On Jun 10, 2018
theamerican:

At first, you said it was impossible and 100% a flat out lie, but you contradicted yourself by suggesting a possible scenario in the end (saying probably the hospital is family owned) which could be one of many other possible scenarios. Keep your mind open.

I'm not in support of whatever that poster said or against the criticism she's getting from you guys but I frown when people say things like "nobody should/would spend x amount of money to do y". Ahan, is it your money?

Lol grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 4:56am On Jun 10, 2018
CISCOBROS:
Please house, I have a cousin who applied with UHD (University of Houston-Downtown)for an MBA and given admission but after few weeks he was called back and was told they had to withdraw his admission after reviewing his transcript and found out that the transcript he submitted was a 3-year degree in Applied Information Technology from an Indian University it wasn't a 4 year program. They offered him a one-year transfer program in B.sc (Multi-Interdisciplinary studies)to make up for the his complete B.sc program.

In his Ds-160 form, he's filled in the the Indian degree as the school he attended....

Please advice how does he present his case to the VO during his interview?

Thanks House

American schools have a serious contempt for Indian 3 years degrees, for reasons I just can't quite see grin grin. your cousin has no choice but to say the whole truth, at the embassy, but the consular officer can checkmate him by asking why he didn't apply to schools that would accept his Indian degree (quite a handful do); so your cousin should have a good answer for that also grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by philipinho: 7:24am On Jun 10, 2018
adedoja99:

Congratulations!! I'm guessing the white woman interviewed you

Yes. Third woman from the left. Were you the one that boned face when they approved your visa, only to give the security man outside a big smile? Dark and tall?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LearnAndObey: 7:49am On Jun 10, 2018
Chidinho10:

Thanks for the corrections, I actually applied to Duke for a different course but couldn't meet up with the deadline because of my scheduled SAT test date, Yes I did write SAT and TOEFL, even though my score isn't what am proud of.

Am so happy at the corrections and I will make proper corrections, as I said, I am here to learn and obey your instructions.

Lagosismyhome, theamerican, Femi312, Sorelee, Chidinho10, Folmus, imperiouxx, Bigfrancis
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 7:53am On Jun 10, 2018
philipinho:

Yes. Third woman from the left. We're you the one that bones face when they approved your visa, only to give the security man outside a big smile? Dark and tall?

Yessss!!!!!! I actually didn't know how to feel until the security man said congratulations!! Then I realized it was real grin grin... And I knew that female VO interviewed you just by reading your transcript. She kept her questions short and simple, other VOs especially the black American that wore green head tie and the last man would drill you until you make a mistake grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LearnAndObey: 8:20am On Jun 10, 2018
Chidinho10:

1.Did you really apply for BS Information Systems at Duke University? SMH... Na like this you want go shoot yourself for leg for embassy.
No, I applied for Mechanical Engineering, but couldn't meet up with the deadline due to my sat score, but as it is now, if that will raise an issue, I will remove it immediately
I also applied to Truman State University, but didn't complete the admission process at all, can I add this too?

Does it mean I should only mention schools that offered Information System?
It's a Business degree program, (BBA) I offered Economics, Marketing and Computer Science in my WAEC as a science student got me qualified.
I will remove Duke from my list, even though I applied for a different program there, but couldn't complete the admission process. I still have their turns of remindal mail on my box. Lol

Thanks a lot, I won't mention anything relating to ranking, I did that earlier because it was stated on their site that only 5% of the schools in the US has professional accreditation, in which Monte Ahuja is one of the fews.

Can I talk about it's environment, lecturers, school remark by the current students and alumni?

Example: Cleveland State University at the Monte Ahuja Campus has a well structured learning environment, with friendly professors who are always ready to provide necessary assistantance to students, secondly the school is located downtown of the Ohio City, giving me the privileges to learn in a very conducive environment.

Lagosismyhome, theamerican, Twoods and others.
I'll start doing that immediately!

Yes, we have different surname, I hope this won't be a problem for me?
I pray....

I will think deep on this, secondly, I stated he's my guardian who has always been interested in my success.
What do I do at this situation? I guess I have an assignment to perform on this, but whatare my objectives?

I will remove the Duke if it portraits deception.

At the end, all I could say is Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 8:25am On Jun 10, 2018
Visa Approved on Thursday
Got to the embassy bouncing, don't listen to those guys they are all scam, after normal screening, was on queue waiting for the VOs to resume, the black American woman was the first to open her window, the women dish out blue paper to the first person that day, and was dishing out blue paper like politicians wen sharing money during election, I was praying not to go to her queue but unfortunately I was sent to her queue, all the people she interview before me it was one person she gave white paper, I was already shaking and tensed

Me: Good morning maam (smiling like rat)

VO: What will the masters do for you

Me: Am currently working in one of the largest financial institution in Nigeria, getting an MSC will equip( she cut me short)

Vo: You are looking tensed and sound like a reharsed speech,calm down,take ur time, then she ask again why masters degree

Me: Am currently working with FBN, and our performance and qualification is reviewed every 6 months getting this degree will give me an edge during promotion

VO: why this school

Me: Apart from the fact that I was offer an assistantship, the department (she cut me short again)

Vo: Do you have a research interest

Me: Yes, Applied Analysis and scientific Computation

Vo: What is it all about

Me: Is a process whereby we use mathematical softwares like MATLAB and matimatica to develop software and algorithm to tackle biomedical problem

Vo: How does ur research tally with your present job, how will it help you on your job

Me: Am currently working in the e-business department in the bank, and my research is related to using technology to solve problems which also align with my job

VO: I see you got an assistantship,how did you get it

Me: I believe the admission committee were impressed with my well articulated SOP, GRE, CGPA and an interview with the department cord Dr ....

VO: Can I see ur GRE result printout

Me: I gave it to her ( she went tru it like someone searching for something)

VO: I will be approving .......

Thanks to sirRiddy, Ponpon, Chidindo, Ojah, Walspring and a lot of people I don't know their moniker.Nairaland has really help my life,
CGPA (3.22/5), (WES 3.02/4), GRE below 300 ( very embarrassing,but my job didn't allow me read)

TOEFL - 84 ( didn't use it)

Masters in Mathematics-
Schools applied to
Etsu- Admitted (Got 50% scholarship, the dept cord said I should rewrite for an assistantship)

Tennessee tech uni- Admitted ( TA is filled, but got a mail to notify me of an RA in July)

Mtsu- Rejected
Uni of Idaho- Rejected
Georgia southern uni- Accepted with GTA, full tuition waiver and stipend

Youngstown state uni- Accepted but because of cgpa, they said I need to fund myself for the fall, then a GA in spring if I perform well in fall

Eastern Kentucky uni- Based on my rappor with the dept cord she is always mailing me to apply that she will offer me GA, but I didn't complete the application.

Advice
Don't feel discourage because you don't have a ground breaking profile, this year I saw people with a 2.2 below 3.0 with a GRE below 310 getting full funding , a cgpa of 2.58 got full funding, mail profs, do ur research well,the sky will always be our starting point.

Thank you Nairaland

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:52am On Jun 10, 2018
please what schools are good for msc Accounting courses.....e.g msc forensic accounting or taxation.

also which is better to write between GRE and GMAT....thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GraceofGodfollo: 9:28am On Jun 10, 2018
LearnAndObey:

Thanks for the corrections, I actually applied to Duke for a different course but couldn't meet up with the deadline because of my scheduled SAT test date, Yes I did write SAT and TOEFL, even though my score isn't what am proud of.

Am so happy at the corrections and I will make proper corrections, as I said, I am here to learn and obey your instructions.

Lagosismyhome, theamerican, Femi312, Sorelee, Chidinho10, Folmus, imperiouxx, Bigfrancis

Dont mention duke at all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by philipinho: 9:53am On Jun 10, 2018
adedoja99:

Yessss!!!!!! I actually didn't know how to feel until the security man said congratulations!! Then I realized it was real grin grin... And I knew that female VO interviewed you just by reading your transcript. She kept her questions short and simple, other VOs especially the black American that wore green head tie and the last man would drill you until you make a mistake grin

Yes o. The two of them were a bit strict that day. On my way out he rejected a man's visa and started raising his voice almost everyone could hear him. That was when I remembered I had to pee.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kekenation(m): 9:54am On Jun 10, 2018
This is one of those rear transcripts with detailed analysis .... Goodness and Mercy shall follow you
Libber:
Got to the embassy bouncing, don't listen to those guys they are all scam, after normal screening, was on queue waiting for the VOs to resume, the black American woman was the first to open her window, the women dish out blue paper to the first person that day, and was dishing out blue paper like politicians wen sharing money during election, I was praying not to go to her queue but unfortunately I was sent to her queue, all the people she interview before me it was one person she gave white paper, I was already shaking and tensed

Me: Am currently working in one of the largest financial institution in Nigeria, getting an MSC will equip( she cut me short)

Vo: You are looking tensed and sound like a reharsed speech,calm down,take ur time, then she ask again why masters degree

Me: Am currently working with FBN, and our performance and qualification is reviewed every 6 months getting this degree will give me an edge during promotion

Me: Apart from the fact that I was offer an assistantship, the department (she cut me short again)

Me: Is a process whereby we use mathematical softwares like MATLAB and matimatica to develop software and algorithm to tackle biomedical problem

Vo: How does ur research tally with your present job, how will it help you on your job

Me: Am currently working in the e-business department in the bank, and my research is related to using technology to solve problems which also align with my job

Me: I believe the admission committee were impressed with my well articulated SOP, GRE, CGPA and an interview with the department cord Dr ....

Thanks to sirRiddy, Ponpon, Chidindo, Ojah, Walspring and a lot of people I don't know their moniker.Nairaland has really help my life,
CGPA (3.22/5), (WES 3.02/4), GRE below 300 ( very embarrassing,but my job didn't allow me read)

Masters in Mathematics-
Schools applied to
Etsu- Admitted (Got 50% scholarship, the dept cord said I should rewrite for an assistantship)

Tennessee tech uni- Admitted ( TA is filled, but got a mail to notify me of an RA in July)

Mtsu- Rejected
Uni of Idaho- Rejected

Youngstown state uni- Accepted but because of cgpa, they said I need to fund myself for the fall, then a GA in spring if I perform well in fall

Eastern Kentucky uni- Based on my rappor with the dept cord she is always mailing me to apply that she will offer me GA, but I didn't complete the application.

Advice
Don't feel discourage because you don't have a ground breaking profile, this year I saw people with a 2.2 below 3.0 with a GRE below 310 getting full funding , a cgpa of 2.58 got full funding, mail profs, do ur research well,the sky will always be our starting point.

Thank you Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Macaulay10(m): 10:06am On Jun 10, 2018
Libber:

Masters in Mathematics-
Schools applied to

Mtsu- Rejected
Uni of Idaho- Rejected

Advice

Thank you Nairaland
Congrat...... Is it all the schools you applied to that requested for WES?. If not, how many schools did not requested for WES and can you name them?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 10, 2018
LearnAndObey:

No, I applied for Mechanical Engineering, but couldn't meet up with the deadline due to my sat score, but as it is now, if that will raise an issue, I will remove it immediately
I also applied to Truman State University, but didn't complete the admission process at all, can I add this too?

Does it mean I should only mention schools that offered Information System?
It's a Business degree program, (BBA) I offered Economics, Marketing and Computer Science in my WAEC as a science student got me qualified.

I will remove Duke from my list, even though I applied for a different program there, but couldn't complete the admission process. I still have their turns of remindal mail on my box. Lol

Thanks a lot, I won't mention anything relating to ranking, I did that earlier because it was stated on their site that only 5% of the schools in the US has professional ranking, in which Monte Ahuja is one of the fews.

Can I talk about it's environment, lecturers, school remark by the current students and alumni?

Example: Cleveland State University at the Monte Ahuja Campus has a well structured learning environment, with friendly professors who are always ready to provide necessary assistantance to students, secondly the school is located downtown of the Ohio City, giving me the privileges to learn in a very conducive environment.

Lagosismyhome, theamerican, Twoods and others.

I'll start doing that immediately!

Yes, we have different surname, I hope this won't be a problem for me?
I pray....

I will think deep on this, secondly, I stated he's my guardian who has always been interested in my success.
What do I do at this situation? I guess I have an assignment to perform on this, but what's are my objectives?

I will remove the Duke if it portraits deception.

At the end, all I could say is Thank you.

In fact, I admire the way you handle criticisms. Send me a PM. We will schedule a call and work on that transcript.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 10, 2018
Libber:

Masters in Mathematics-
Schools applied to

Mtsu- Rejected
Uni of Idaho- Rejected

Advice

Thank you Nairaland

Congrats dear. I wish you the very best on your new journey!!

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 10, 2018
Macaulay10:
Congrat...... Is it all the schools you applied to that requested for WES?. If not, how many schools did not requested for WES and can you name them?

If your GPA is on the low side, I will recommend that you use WES to evaluate your transcript and use it to apply. It's a trick you use to put your best foot forward.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by seyifrenzy(m): 10:54am On Jun 10, 2018
Good morning guys. Great work you guys are doing here.

My question is: My dad is a US citizen, and I'm trying to secure an F-1 visa. My dad s account is not too buoyant @ $40,000 for my graduate study. On the DS-160, I don't know whether to put his name as my sponsor (closer ties) or my aunt as my sponsor.

Secondly. If I put my aunt as my sponsor, how do I answer the question why is your dad not sponsoring you (considering the fact that he resides in the US)?

Thirdly. On the day of interview, is it compulsory I present the account details of the sponsor on my DS-160 (say my dad) or someone else (my aunt)?

I'm confused. Help me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Macaulay10(m): 11:02am On Jun 10, 2018
Chidinho10:

If your GPA is on the low side, I will recommend that you use WES to evaluate your transcript and use it to apply. It's a trick you use to put your best foot forward.
Even if the schools says they don't accept WES that they accept unofficial transcript to evaluate themselves?

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.