Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (376) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (913750 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by FA13(m): 8:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
babisho:

Dear Chidinho10,

First, I commend you for the many good works you are doing on this thread. You take time to answer questions and clarify issues. Well done.

I would suggest however that you be a little more weary before you make assertions as they may sometimes be misleading.

Let us look at the case in question. How can u confidently tell the poster not to reapply to schools that rejected him as some schools view rejected applicants somehow. How can you have that information? Are you privy to the admission process of the schools that he applied to? Do you categorically know why he was rejected? (Perhaps they thought his GRE quants score wasn't competitive enough? Or his PhD proposal wasn't good/clear enough? Or his letters of recommendation weren't glowing enough? Or maybe they couldn't find any faculty with interest in his proposed area of research? Or they were looking for someone with a bit more research experience? Or maybe this year was just particularly competitive and in other years he would have gotten in but the competition was just stiff for limited spaces available? Or any other reason you can come up with). If he finds out why they rejected him and he is able to improve his profile, isn't it possible that he may get in if he reapplies ?

What a contribution too! I didn't really think of asking for a feedback from the admission office though Michigan said something like

'Despite your great academic potential demonstrated in your application, we are forced to make this difficult decision to meet our capacity to educate and train students in our program while experiencing an unprecedentedly large number of applications to our graduate program. We feel sorry that such a competitive admission process prohibits us from accepting many highly qualified applicants to our program. '

By the way, Congrats on your Harvard admission. May I ask what your discipline is?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 9:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
Tunmise100:

How Did You Hear About The School?

I first heard about the school from my companion while we were both serving on a mission for my church (Church name). He spoke greatly about the school. I also did intense research on the school by searching through Google. I read reviews from current and old students on the school's Facebook page and I also watched numerous videos on the school's YouTube channel.

I think you should work on "HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS SCHOOL". Saying you heard from a church member does not sound intellectually appealing and convincing.
N:B Just my opinion though, lets wait for the more experienced ones to help critique your proposed transcript.
My companion is a friend. We lived together and his brother attended the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 9:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
odimbannamdi:

You did good justice to the "Why Utah Valley and Economics" questions.

But lets wait for the experienced opinions of the gurus.
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by noblemann1(m): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Sorry haven't checked pm in agessssss
Okay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
noblemann1:

Okay ma. I wanted to ask if you can help me for my payment. I have been contacting lincoffn. He is not replying my message. I don't know what to do. I really need the score. Thanks

Hummm but I don't know anything about scores or have no relationship with that matter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Walspring: 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
whandeykoal:

Lol... Are u an alumni of AAUA? well, I know Mandela and Harry Potter �but what I need now is help �

What kind of help?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Walspring: 10:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
whandeykoal:

No jor, lol... I remember Mandela was in 400level while I was in 200l. We were in same department (History).

Alright. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by noblemann1(m): 10:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
LagosismyHome:

Hummm but I don't know anything about scores or have no relationship with that matter
Okay. I wrote the exam but there's no way I can view my score without paying the outstanding.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 12:06am On Jun 25, 2018
ProfOjah1234:

Make i tag the person.. Well, happney05 told me the person is steve-something.. Too much sense will not kill me cheesy cheesy
lol... I remember was in 2014 or there about!!!! the hustle is real

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jamoyakz: 12:31am On Jun 25, 2018
ProfOjah1234:

Justwise, do you wanna write GRE?.. 70% discount for you as per say you be mod.. grin
baba I need that 70% offer badly... run am for me now ������
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by drdamy(m): 1:51am On Jun 25, 2018
Anyone please help me with GRE study materials and IELTS
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Predstan: 2:24am On Jun 25, 2018
jamoyakz:
baba I need that 70% offer badly... run am for me now ������

Justwise you need to ban this guy

Even if he's joking. Lol
Let's start from him
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 08Omotosh: 2:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Please who do we address the sponsor letter to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tosland4u(m): 6:42am On Jun 25, 2018
08Omotosh:
Please who do we address the sponsor letter to.
Check for d US Embassy address n start with the Consulate General
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Egbuizu: 7:06am On Jun 25, 2018
Egbuizu:
My proposed transcript

Me: Good morning sir/ma
V.O: Good morning,pass me your i20 and passport
Me: Hand them over to her
V.O: Why/what r u going to the US for?
Me: I am going for my masters degree in business administration (MBA) at Cleveland State University,Cleveland Ohio.
V.O: How did you get to know about the school?
Me: One of my lecturers during my undergraduate studies is an alumni of the school and recommended their MBA program to me. I went through the school website and checked about their MBA program and was satisfied with the program curriculum and courses offered.
V:O: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: I applied to Arkansas Tech university, University of Texas at El-Paso and Cleveland State University.
V.O: How many gave you admission?
Me: Arkansas Tech University and Cleveland State university, that of University of Texas El-Paso was still pending.
V.O: Why did you choose Cleveland State University over others?
Me: Cleveland State University was the first to admit me,also, I did some enquiries about the MBA program and was satisfied with the courses they teach in the MBA program like International business, team dynamics, Entrepreneurship and environment of business as as it aligns with my future career plans and pursuits. Again,I noticed they have a large number of international students of which Nigeria is well represented as it will make me feel at home,and learn about other students culture outside that of the United States.
V.O: What is your post study plans?
Me: I plan to come back to Nigeria and work because an MBA degree will give me an edge in my place of work and also increase my earnings. I equally have a plan of going into my own private business,and it will give me all the ideas I will need to establish my own business and properly manage it.
V.O: Who will be sponsoring you?
Me: My Uncle will be sponsoring me.
V.O:Why your Uncle?
Me: He has been the one sponsoring my education since I was a kid.
V:O: What does he do?
Me: He is an importer of building materials and automobiles.
V:O: Can I see his statement of account?
Me: Pass it to him/her.
V.O: Look at it and pass it back to me.
Hopefully he will tell me I will be approving your visa.
Please gurus in the house,scrutinize it for me and make the necessary corrections for me as I typed this transcript hastily.
Please gurus I am still waiting for your review/criticism on my proposed transcript

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ZinoDaniels(m): 8:48am On Jun 25, 2018
Hello Goodmorning Gurus in the house , please look into this for me and tell me if it's okay or not

Vo: Why the course or why biology education?
Me: Studying biology education is having a broad knowledge of the structure, function, heredity and evolution of all living things, micro organisms, fungi, plants and animals. There is lack of professionalism in the environment and disease control sectors. So studying this course will pave way for me and my country .....

Vo: when did you graduate high school?
Me: July 2010

Vo: Since up till now, what have you been doing ?
Me: I have been undergoing a mini computer program under desktop publishing and also attend extra moral classes on science subjects and preparing for SAT and TOEFL........

Please I need corrections if it's not okay......God bless you all as I look forward to your corrections
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Fan01(m): 9:01am On Jun 25, 2018
Abuja Embassy
Was the first person to be interviewed at window 9.

Appointment 7:30.
Approved 8:03 I think ���

ME: Good morning.
VO: Good morning.

VO: pass me your passport.
ME: gave her my passport, I-20, and SEVIS receipt.

VO: Why did you choose Tufts.
ME: the research in energy storage and conversion at Tufts closely aligns with my research interest.

VO: what will study?
ME: PhD in Mechanical Engineering.

VO: what's your second major? (She corrected her self on looking at my I-20)

VO: how will you fund your studies?
ME: I got a full tuition waiver + (at this point she was no longer interested in what o was about to say again) RA which comes...(I stopped talk since she wasn't even interested again).

VO: can I see a letter from the school showing this funding?
ME: gave her my admission letter.

VO: what do you do presently?
ME: Working as a Technical Support Analyst in an IT firm.

VO: what's your research interest.
ME: Energy storage.

VO: Are you married?
NO: No

VO: where do you work?
ME: Trefoil Networks.
VO: okay, its an IT company right.

VO: I will be keeping your passport ( She already kept it the first time I gave it to her). So she smiled and said your Visa has been approved.

I heard everything she said afterwards but i did not just care.

Questions she did not ask.

How many school do you apply to?
What will you do after your PhD?
Will return back to Nigeria? (She probably did not want me to lie lol).

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 25, 2018
Congrats man!
Fan01:
Abuja Embassy

ME: the research in energy storage and conversion at Tufts closely aligns with my research interest.

ME: I got a full tuition waiver + (at this point she was no longer interested in what o was about to say again) RA which comes...(I stopped talk since she wasn't even interested again).

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dan5loriel: 9:52am On Jun 25, 2018
Very Very Good Monday grin congrats bro. I tap into your blessing and favour

Fan01:
Abuja Embassy

VO: I will be keeping your passport ( She already kept it the first time I gave it to her). So she smiled and said your Visa has been approved.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:54am On Jun 25, 2018
Fan01:
Abuja Embassy

ME

Congrats... God bless your new journey
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ODAVI(m): 10:23am On Jun 25, 2018
Hello, Please kindly accept my PM request i am also hoping to be coming to Cleveland university soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olay002: 10:27am On Jun 25, 2018
Pls reply my message
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ODAVI(m): 10:43am On Jun 25, 2018
Big congrat.. Go and shine
Fan01:
Abuja Embassy

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Winifred2015(f): 11:48am On Jun 25, 2018
Please how much does it cost to send documents to the United States, trying to send my documents to my the school am applying to. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Amme018: 12:53pm On Jun 25, 2018
Please how do I make my post to be visible on here? I posted a message detailing my case on here 2 days back, I think it is hidden. Please help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by justwise(m): 1:09pm On Jun 25, 2018
Predstan:

Justwise you need to ban this guy

Even if he's joking. Lol
Let's start from him

He is immune from ban, i tried but computer says no grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Amme018: 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2018
I beg you all to help me look at this please

Amme018:
I wish I knew about this thread earlier.

I was referred here by a friend in May, I have been a guest reader not until now. I read from page 1 of Part 12 to this page of Part 13, and I have learnt so much. You guys have been so wonderful, you have assisted and put so many people through the process of getting their Visa approved, and I am hopeful that you all will help analyse my case.

I was at the Lagos consulate twice in December last year for Spring 2018 entry and my visa was not approved on the two occasions. I am making another attempt next month. I have some modifications in my profile. I would like to share my proposed interview transcript for you all to help me analyse it. I AM OPEN FOR YOUR CORRECTION, OPINION AND ADVICE. Before I share my proposed transcript, here are the transcript from the previous interviews

1st Interview
V.O - Good morning, pass your passport and i20
Me: good morning, I passed what he requested
VO- Where are you going in the US?
Me- I'm going to Muncie Indiana for my MPA program at Ball State University
VO- how did you hear about the school?
Me- it was recommended for me by my undergraduate prof who is also my mentor, and I researched about the school and other schools using US news world report.
VO- how many schools did you applied to
Me- 2 schools, University of Missouri Kansas City and Ball State University.
VO- how many admits
Me- the two schools
VO- why Ball State?
Me- the MPA curriculum at BSU is such that is designed to equip students with the theoretical understanding of public policies and of the principles of management and administration of the public sector; this is quite in-line with my career plans. More so, Dr Brandon Waite will be having a research on A Policy Perspective of the Development of Indiana Counties. This research matches my area of interest.
VO: Why MPA?
Me: I want to study this course in order to acquire the knowledge of the modern principles and practice of public policy formulation, implementation and administration of the public sector which will broaden my knowledge with the modern strategies for developing communities and ensuring social equality with global best practices that can be modeled for use in Nigeria.
VO: What's your highest degree and when?
Me: BSc Secretarial Administration, 2013
VO: What have you been doing since you graduated?
Me: I completed the compulsory 1 year NYSC program in May 2014 and started work as an Administrative Officer at XYZ Local Government Council in June 2014
V:O: What do you do where you work?
Me: I am responsible for coordinating the implementation of the council's decisions and circulating the reports to those who are affected by it. I am a key coordinator of program of activities within the local government area (he cuts in)
VO: Did you write any test?
Me: No. The GRE was not required for applicant with an undergraduate CGPA of 3.5 and above.
VO: Who is your sponsor and what does he/she do?
Me: My mom, (told him what she does)
Me: No
VO: Do you have a child?
VO: Sorry, (then gave me a blue paper)

2nd Interview
Me: Good morning
VO: Pass me your passport. ( I passed passport with i20)
VO: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: I am going to pursue a Masters Degree in Public Administration with concentration in Community and Economic Development at Ball State University, Muncie Indiana.
VO: How will this degree benefit you?
Me: This degree will adequately prepare me for a senior role at my current place of work where I will be able to determine the best and most effective strategies and processes for sustainable development. Also it will equip me with the valuable skills and knowledge to establish a consulting firm where I will be consulting for government at all levels and other organizations in the areas of public policy analysis, and the design, monitoring and evaluation of developmental programs
VO: how many schools did you applied to
Me- 2 schools, University of Missouri Kansas City and Ball State University.
VO- how did you hear about the school?
Me- my undergraduate prof who is also my mentor told mW about the school, I also researched about the school and other schools using US news world report.
VO- how many schools did you applied to
Me- 2
VO- Are you married?
VO: Do you have a child?
VO: Sorry, I can't approve your visa, you may apply later. Gave the blue paper.

Now, what has change in me profile:
New School- George Washington University (currently ranked 56 in National University by USnews, MPA program is ranked 13th in US)
GRE: I wrote the GRE ( I had 282, very poor score. I barely had time to prepare because of work schedule).
I have $20,000 fellowship award.

Proposed transcript:

VO: Where/Why are you going in (to) the USA?
Me: I’m going to Washington DC for my MPA program with concentration in Politics, Policy and Administration at the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration, of the George Washington University.

VO: I can see you were here last year, what has changed in your application?
Me: I didn’t have a standardized test in my previous application but now I have the GRE, and my application is now for another school; George Washington University.

VO: How did you hear about this School?
Me: The George Washington University is one of the three (3) schools recommended for me by my undergraduate Professor after my last application. I used US News, Times Higher Education, Webometrics and the website of Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Public Administration (NASPAA) research about the schools and other schools.

VO: How many schools did you applied to?
Me: I applied to three (3) Schools: University of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, University of Georgia Athens, and The George Washington University

VO: How many admits?
Me: Two (2) Universities: University of Pittsburgh and the George Washington University offered me admission, while University of Georgia’s decision has not come through

VO: Why George Washington University?
Me: The MPA program of The Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration of George Washington University is well ranked (13th) in the US. It has a small class size and the curriculum is in line with my career goals. Also, I am fascinated by Prof Elizabeth Rigby's research on the Interplay of Politics, Policy, and Social Inequality; her research matches my area of interest. I was also offered tuition fellowship award of $20,000 which is renewable for one (1) additional year.

VO: Tell me how you got the tuition fellowship award?
Me: I wrote an essay describing how this program will help achieve my career goals. This essay and the quality of my application profile got me this tuition fellowship award.

VO: What will this degree do for you?
Me: This MPA will give me the theoretical and practical knowledge of the intersection of Politics, Policy and Administration which will adequately prepare me for a senior role at one of the Federal Ministries here, where the analytical skills, administrative/leadership skills would be of great use in addressing policy management issues. Also this MPA will set my feet on the road to achieving my long term goal of holding a high political office in Nigeria.

VO: Why USA?
Me: The United State is well known for her tremendous academic structure. Studying in the US particularly in a prestigious university in the US capital would give me the much need international exposure and acquaintance to the modern principles and practices of politics and policy management, which will make me stand out when I return.

VO: Tell me about this program?
Me: This MPA focuses on the intersection of politics, policy and administration. It is a 40 credit hour program comprising of 25 core credits, 12 credit hour of concentration courses and 3 credit hour of elective courses, which I am meant to complete in 24 months and maintain a CGPA of not lesser than 3.00 through the 4 semester duration.

VO: Tell me some of the courses you would be taking?
Me: I would take courses like Economics for public decision making, Leadership in public Administration and public policy, Policy Analysis, Public and Nonprofit program evaluation, Policy formulation and administration, Federal government regulation of society, political data analytics, current topics in public policy, Introduction to public service and administration, Perspective on public value, Introduction to project management, Law and public administrator, Public budgeting, revenue and expenditure analysis, Financial management in public sector and a Capstone Seminar in the final semester.

VO: What’s your highest qualification and what year?
Me: I have BSc. Secretarial Administration, 2013

VO: What have you been doing since you graduated? I completed my NYSC program in June 2014 and I have been working as an Administrative Officer at XYZ local government council, ABC state since that time

VO: Have you traveled out of the country before?
VO: Are you married? No
Me: Do you have a child? No
VO: Who is your sponsor? Me: My Mom
VO: What does she do? She deals in sales of imported building materials and she is a major distributor of Dangote Cement in Osogbo, Akure and Ibadan

I beg you all to help me analyse and critique my case and my proposed transcript. Thank you in anticipation.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ayoola222: 1:48pm On Jun 25, 2018
Please, what's the current date for interview at the Lagos consulate?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Danielaz5: 2:11pm On Jun 25, 2018
Ayoola222:
Please, what's the current date for interview at the Lagos consulate?

Around August 6 when I checked.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by reDazey(f): 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
Fan01:
Abuja Embassy

Congratulations dear. I knew your interview would be perfect. lol@ she did not want me to lie. Please check your email.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Danielaz5: 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
Corrections on my INTENDED transcript will be appreciated please.

Me: Good morning
Vo: Morning passport and i-20 pls

Vo: Why are you going to the us?
Me: I am going to the us for my bachelors degree in Biology at Alcorn State University

Vo: why biology?
Me: Biology has been a subject I've been fond of and inquisitive on due to the fact it forms it's foundation on the study of life and how to maintain life and effects of evolution. It gives me leverage about my choice of career and degree acquired will allow me to diversify to fields like biotechnology even bio-engineering.

Vo: Why US when you could just get your degree here in Nigeria?
Me: : The US has the finest and the most advanced education system in the world, where cutting-edge theory and technologies emerge. Learning in such a system will afford me the opportunity to set up myself for a bright career in the future, especially when I return to my country to make impact.

Vo: Why Alcorn State University?
Me: I have chosen ASC (plan to say in full) because the structure of the institution perfectly fit my interest, in fact they offer the complete prerequisites for my course of interest with a small and diverse population that propels exposure and global experience. Finally, they offered me merit scholarship award based on my SAT score which is very motivating.

Vo: how did you hear about the school?
Me: I used the college board college search engine ,usnews.com also approached some counselors at Education USA for schools I could be accepted based on my GPA.

V.O : Are you an education USA member ?
Me : No

Vo: how many schools did you apply to?
Me: 8 schools

Vo: WHAT SCHOOL?
Me: Howard University
Lincoln University
Wheeling Jesuit College
Alcorn State University
Alabama State University
Bethany College
Notre Dame College
University of Southern Mississippi

VO: What does the school have in common
Me: They offer each student a diverse student pool with international and domestic students combining together to study,promote ideas and cooperate in theoretical and practical field. Offered good scholarships based on merit.

Vo: how Many admissions?
Me: 8 admissions

Vo: DID YOU WRITE ANY TEST?
Me: yes TOEFL score (93) and SAT (1370)

Vo: When did you finish from high school
Me: 2016

Vo: what have you been doing since then?
Me: I obtained my Cambridge A level certificate 2017 where I took Biology, Physics, and Chemistry as my subjects and I also enrolled at management education and training limited for my standardized test immediately after

Vo: who is sponsoring you?
Me: The school offered me a Presidential Scholarship with a semester stipend leaving my Mother with $3000 to pay which she's capable of paying

Vo: what does she do?
Me: She's an exporter, owns several real estate across nigeria and owns a hostel

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.