Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,923 members, 7,821,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President (21271 Views)

NBA President Akpata Absent At Body Of Benchers’ Meeting / Olumide Akpata Biography: 9 Things To Know About The Newly Elected NBA President / Female Muslim Trainee Lawyer Is Ejected From Court Over Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by BalogunIdowu(m): 7:59am On Dec 16, 2017
princeade86:
dnt forget to allow egun, sango, igunnu, obatala and ifa worshiper to wear their costume to any institutions if u allow dis to stand.

That is quite easy if only it is part of their daily life!
This is part of the religion and a daily thing for those who know not when you feel like...
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by jaggabban: 7:59am On Dec 16, 2017
My God see d number of people viewing this trend. Any Islamic news na hot cake. Haha Igbos hate Islam die.

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Fatlat: 8:00am On Dec 16, 2017
princeade86:
dnt forget to allow egun, sango, igunnu, obatala and ifa worshiper to wear their costume to any institutions if u allow dis to stand.

Must you comment?
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by teamv: 8:00am On Dec 16, 2017
The nudist can also come as they are but hijab go win Na them get 9ja
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by free2ryhme: 8:04am On Dec 16, 2017
seguntijan:
http://www.lawyard.ng/justiceforfirdaus-argument-over-hijab-needless-we-will-address-it-nba-president/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork#JusticeForFirdaus:

The President of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, A.B. Mahmoud, SAN, has promised that the Association would look into the circumstances in which Amasa Firdaus, a graduate of University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) was prevented from being called to the Bar on Tuesday.

Firdaus was said to have been denied entry into the hall where the ceremony held by officials of the Council of Legal Education (CLE) for failing to remove her ‘hijab’ covering as directed.

The prospective call to bar candidate reportedly insisted on wearing her hijab in adherence to her religious beliefs and refused entreaties to do otherwise. She was subsequently locked out and could not participate in the ceremony.

Firdaus’ plight has garnered nationwide attention and has been the subject of a debate about the constitutional right to freedom of worship and the obligation to respect laid out rules. A call for Firdaus to be admitted to the Bar has also been trending with the hashtag #JusticeForFirdaus.

Joining the discussion Friday afternoon, NBA President Mahmoud referred to Olufunke Abimbola, a Nigerian lawyer based in the United Kingdom (UK) who was recently honoured by Queen Elizabeth II for her contributions to promoting diversity in the legal profession.

Writing on his Twitter handle, @abmtwitt, Mr Mahmoud said Firdaus’ plight would be addressed while also adding that the NBA would embrace diversity.

“UK based Nigerian lawyer recognized for promoting diversity in the legal profession. The NBA will embrace diversity and tolerance in the Nigerian legal profession. The Hijab issue will be addressed,” Mahmoud said.

The NBA President went further to share a picture of his daughter being admitted to the New York Bar while wearing a hijab and declared that the argument over hijab in Nigeria was needless.

Halima Buhari Called To Bar With No Hijab. No hijab as she knows the rule and abides by it.

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by jaggabban: 8:05am On Dec 16, 2017
adams123:

She said no to follow people blindly, hijab is compulsory on her and bcoz others are not wearing it she too should not.
Thumps up.
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by cstr1000: 8:05am On Dec 16, 2017
What exactly is enticing about this islam sef?

Absolutely nothing. Even the islamic countries, not matter how oil Rich, don't interest me.
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 16, 2017
This is not strictly just based on rules and regulations of the NLS.The underlaying factor here is that the Judicial System feels this will be in violation of the ideological and religious neutrality of the justice system.

This goes beyond the call to bar ceremony, It comes down to the question; Can a lawyer wearing an hijab in court be reconciled with the justice system's constitutional obligation to maintain ideological and religious neutrality? This is a fundamental question that high-level judges in Nigeria has been faced with.

My own two cents is that Hijabs do not violate the justice system's mandate of neutrality, because lawyers perform their duties independently and are concerned first and foremost with their clients' interests.

Her right to wear an hijab during her call to bar is thus protected by the fundamental right to freedom of religion, and the only way to change this would be on the basis of a law that does not currently exist.

While I understand that rule 36 (a) of the Rules of Professional Conduct in the Legal Profession Revised (2007) expressly decries the "wearing of apparel and ornament" that draws attention to a legal practitioner appearing before a judge, the hijab doesn’t fall into such apparel ornament that can be decried upon, because it is a constitutional right that no bye-law can suppress on a permanent basis.

May I as well add this. Be it Buhari's daughter or Queen Raina, they choosing to wear or not wear an hijab is solely based on their own conviction, they don't represent Islam. Sure they are rich, powerful, famous Muslims. If they agree to compromise on their religious beliefs doesn't mean every Muslims has to. For on the day when we all face our maker we will be answerable to our own deeds on earth.This has nothing to do with extremism well meaning Muslims have also lost their loved ones to the cowardly act of terrorism.

May God give us the wisdom and patience to be tolerant and accomodating to each others beliefs. Have a good day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Birminghamvirgo(m): 8:06am On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=skentelelady post=63325878]

What right? But she's allowed to break the rules and laws which she studied and understands clearly??

Let's stop putting sentiments in everything [/quotel]

and how did she breaks the rules of law?
it's bcoz of putting on this Hijab sha...
I don't think one putting on Hijab should affect the lives of others....
life is so simple than antagonizing one another on the issue of religion!
Live and let's Live

2 Likes

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by bugidon(m): 8:07am On Dec 16, 2017
Why not change the name to Islamic Republic of Nigeria. #brainwashed
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Efewestern: 8:08am On Dec 16, 2017
Stalwert:
[s][/s]

Then join cownu the sewage rat in his pigout sorry hideout

Yea it's better than to be with people who reason with their anus, Who thinks Their religion is above the laws of the land, who contributes nothing to the table but takes the lion share, You have everything to loose should we go our separate ways.

parasites.

2 Likes

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by ibnzubair(m): 8:10am On Dec 16, 2017
XXLDICK:

Your argument holds no water because those you mentioned are not mandated to wear their costumes always. Their religion didn't make it compulsory.

For me sha, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue, I can't tell if it's right or wrong.

Muslims deprive many Christians of Thier right in the core northern states that practice Sharia.
Imagine I can't drink alcohol peacefully and you control the way Christian girls dress in a secular nation.

Make I just Siddon dey look

You can drink Alcohol in your house anywhere in the north. Sharia is for Muslims and if you're not, please don't sweat it

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Odingo1: 8:12am On Dec 16, 2017
Backward country and corrupt people using religion as umbrella.
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Stalwert: 8:15am On Dec 16, 2017
[s]
Efewestern:

Yea it's better than to be with people who reason with their anus, Who thinks Their religion is above the laws of the land, who contributes nothing to the table but takes the lion share, You have everything to loose should we go our separate ways.

parasites.
[/s]

Are you an anus bigot grin grin Go join cownu the sewage rat in his pig hole

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Odingo1: 8:16am On Dec 16, 2017
ibnzubair:

You can drink Alcohol in your house anywhere in the north. Sharia is for Muslims and if you're not, please don't sweat it
You are lying, stores that sell alcohol are closed down and bottles are destroyed by sharia police, where will non muslims buy the alcohol to drink at home.And after all this the north will take a lion share from the proceeds of alcohol tax from southern Nigeria.
You muslims are hypocrite, why wont you people reject the money from alcohol sales that you people consider as haram.

3 Likes

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by lookingfly: 8:18am On Dec 16, 2017
If they allow they call her to bar wearing hijab, they should be ready to allow me wear my jeans and sneakers when my time come.
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by deeptechcool(m): 8:20am On Dec 16, 2017
ihatesycophant:
Every institutions, nations and set up has its rules, regulations, ideals and customs that need to be followed. The NBA president should not have postponed this kind of argument, he's been long in the business for him to have rose to that point. He should have First Class info at hand and not dribble the sensibilities of people. Is it allowed or not in Nigeria law system.

As a lady, I want to go and play football with my hijab.
It bad to take up a profession you can't obey its rules.

Yes you can play football with your hijab.

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by heysquare(m): 8:22am On Dec 16, 2017
most of d comments here r made by Christians and it display thr full hatred for muslims. tell me if law was not made out of religion and why they use holy books in d law court. so far the quran and bible could be use in d court dat shows d court respect d religion of the person. nigerian christians cant win any fight against muslims cos they pick a senseless fight against muslims. how wud u win a flight wt someone dat s not fighting u? the lady in question has alrdy passed a msg to d entire legal world wc I believe to b her purported motive to bring reform to NBA. a lot of human right lawyers wud stand for her and not u haters. infact, good christian human right lawyers wud stand for her too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by darkhorizon: 8:24am On Dec 16, 2017
MrHistorian:
So,this hijab of a thing led to heated argument with some of my friends on Whatsapp yesterday.

To be fair and unbias,inclusion of hijab to one's dressing does not depress productivity nor deteriorate intellectual output.The basic reason for such law in some institution is just to ensure uniformity.

Like the dude above me argued,what about other religious factions who are mandated on some specific dressing.Well,the answer for them is to proceed to a competent law court to establish it.

Is Hijab not even permitted in secondary schools?

Is hijab not permitted in tertiary institutions?

Physics WhatsApp group?
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by free2ryhme: 8:25am On Dec 16, 2017
seguntijan:
http://www.lawyard.ng/justiceforfirdaus-argument-over-hijab-needless-we-will-address-it-nba-president/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork#JusticeForFirdaus:

The President of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, A.B. Mahmoud, SAN, has promised that the Association would look into the circumstances in which Amasa Firdaus, a graduate of University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) was prevented from being called to the Bar on Tuesday.

Firdaus was said to have been denied entry into the hall where the ceremony held by officials of the Council of Legal Education (CLE) for failing to remove her ‘hijab’ covering as directed.

The prospective call to bar candidate reportedly insisted on wearing her hijab in adherence to her religious beliefs and refused entreaties to do otherwise. She was subsequently locked out and could not participate in the ceremony.

Firdaus’ plight has garnered nationwide attention and has been the subject of a debate about the constitutional right to freedom of worship and the obligation to respect laid out rules. A call for Firdaus to be admitted to the Bar has also been trending with the hashtag #JusticeForFirdaus.

Joining the discussion Friday afternoon, NBA President Mahmoud referred to Olufunke Abimbola, a Nigerian lawyer based in the United Kingdom (UK) who was recently honoured by Queen Elizabeth II for her contributions to promoting diversity in the legal profession.

Writing on his Twitter handle, @abmtwitt, Mr Mahmoud said Firdaus’ plight would be addressed while also adding that the NBA would embrace diversity.

“UK based Nigerian lawyer recognized for promoting diversity in the legal profession. The NBA will embrace diversity and tolerance in the Nigerian legal profession. The Hijab issue will be addressed,” Mahmoud said.

The NBA President went further to share a picture of his daughter being admitted to the New York Bar while wearing a hijab and declared that the argument over hijab in Nigeria was needless.

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by charismaticdave(m): 8:26am On Dec 16, 2017
When we are all dead because of the traps and pits we dig for ourselves because of religion. Our eyes will be clear
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Arielle: 8:28am On Dec 16, 2017
adams123:

my brother, Jalabia and turbarn are not compulsory in Islam but #Hijab is compulsory

Correct me if I'm wrong but if wearing of hijab is compulsory, how come other Muslim ladies did not wear it on that day. How come a whole lot of Muslim ladies don't wear it, normally? I know several. Shall we compare this to, say, the Catholic nuns to whom wearing of the habit is compulsory and part of their prescribed dressing? But they dress according to the law of the profession, foregoing the habit in favour of the wig, for their call ceremony. Being a lawyer is by choice. Making that choice involves committing to adhering to the rules that govern it.

2 Likes

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by JesuEruOluwa: 8:30am On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=free2ryhme post=63327056][/quote]
Even after the NBA chairman agreed to addressing the issue,
You still went ahead to post these pictures SMH
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by DaBillionnaire: 8:33am On Dec 16, 2017
A.B. Mahmoud, SAN, A Muslim who cannot even protect the basic Muslim rules even in his profession.

He and other Muslims in the Law School and NBA forgot they re going to die one day, and be questioned about how they spent life.

A.B. Mahmoud, SAN, abeg do the needful.

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by MemphisRaynes: 8:39am On Dec 16, 2017
No mind me, I got incensed and started typing without any recourse to my grammar. Make I prove say I can do very good English in writing.

SuccesYear:
Why not ! If you think it does makes sense to you
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by SuccesYear: 8:44am On Dec 16, 2017
MemphisRaynes:
No mind me, I got incensed and started typing without any recourse to my grammar. Make I prove say I can do very good English in writing.

Gbayi [mouthed]
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by ibnzubair(m): 8:47am On Dec 16, 2017
Odingo1:

You are lying, stores that sell alcohol are closed down and bottles are destroyed by sharia police, where will non muslims buy the alcohol to drink at home.And after all this the north will take a lion share from the proceeds of alcohol tax from southern Nigeria.
You muslims are hypocrite, why wont you people reject the money from alcohol sales that you people consider as haram.

I am guessing you're a Christian, in that case, I'll advise you avoid using insults as you're meant to be an ambassador for your believes.

To the issue, there is no law that prevents Christians from selling, buying or consuming alcohol, even in Sharia regions. Please get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by free2ryhme: 8:50am On Dec 16, 2017
JesuEruOluwa:

Even after the NBA chairman agreed to addressing the issue,
You still went ahead to post these pictures SMH

na so e pain u reach grin grin grin
Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by joncom(m): 8:53am On Dec 16, 2017
lilmax:
it shouldn't be allowed.... period
I stand with you on this, it should not stand....If it does it will change many things in this country.
Soon someone will wear revealing clothes to bar, and insist she has rights to wear it.
I believe the NBA chairman only took sides because Buhari is the president. Everyone trying to please him.

1 Like

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Housing(m): 9:06am On Dec 16, 2017
Arielle:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if wearing of hijab is compulsory, how come other Muslim ladies did not wear it on that day. How come a whole lot of Muslim ladies don't wear it, normally? I know several. Shall we compare this to, say, the Catholic nuns to whom wearing of the habit is compulsory and part of their prescribed dressing? But they dress according to the law of the profession, foregoing the habit in favour of the wig, for their call ceremony. Being a lawyer is by choice. Making that choice involves committing to adhering to the rules that govern it.

That others don't wear it should not force same on her. The fact that others decided not to fight for their fundamental human rights should not prevent her. She is a lawyer right? The profession requires critical thinking about freedom, equity and most importantly fundamental human right. Any local or national law, codes or ethics that violates United Nation Basic Fundamental Human Rights Chatter that the country is a signatory to can not stand of test whenever challenge appropriately. US, UK and other advanced nations allow the use of hijab even on uniform by female officers of those nation. Nigeria Muslims decided not to fight for Friday as a work free day basically because it was not compulsory according to the Quran. Even in Israel the two work free days are Friday and Saturday. This is line with the culture, tradition and religion of the generalities of their populace. Church wedding is recognize by the Court while Mosque wedding is not, Muslims in Nigeria are denied so many basic rights. Our Christian brother should also support us in getting our basic rights in as much it doesn't impedes or violates others peoples rights or safety. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Argument Over Hijab Needless, We Will Address It – NBA President by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 16, 2017
OkpekeBeauty:
Jihad has many forms. This is one of them. Christians vote in a Muslim party(with a known jihadist as flag bearer), Muslim party fills all key positions with leaders sympathetic to their cause and agenda. Those leaders gradually change the law of the land to be receptive to islamic indoctrination finally sharia is introduced. While all these are going on Christians are fighting each other about tithe, ear ring, weavon, make up etc. One day their children wake up to the moon and star added to their flag, currency with Arabic symbols and name changed to Islamic Republic of Nigeria.
"For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light." Luke 16:8 NIV

Gods people truly perish for lack of knowledge

God's people are the Israelites according to the BIble you quote, you are just a Brainwashed African Mugu who has allowed foreign religions to destabilize your thinking. This is why your pastors have no problem taking your tithes and watch you remain poor. They know the whole thing is all a scam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

World's Worst Jobs: From Armpit Sniffer To Sewer Diver / The Power In Your Thinking / BREAKING: Why Some Nigerian Civil Servants Have Not Received November Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.