Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,765 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS (56659 Views)

Lady In Hijab Spotted Riding Keke Napep (Photos) / Amasa Firdausa Finally Called To Bar In Hijab By Nigerian Law School. Photos / Zubaida Mahmoud Admitted To New York Bar In Hijab (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by lazygal: 11:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
hooklover:
Not even a Hausa Muslim but a fucking Yoruba Muslim lady that is lower than the Hausa Muslim trying to change status quo...

Soon she will realize Yoruba Moslems are inferior to the Northern core Muslim..

I hope she is given 20yrs ban for deliberately trying to test the resolve of the legal profession...

Unfortunately she could not differentiate religion from profession..

PLEASE AND PLEASE ISLAM HAS NO DISCRIMINATION RACE OR TRIBE WISE. OKAY?
IF WE DID THEN RICH WILL NOT STAND NEXT TO POOR ,OLD NEXT TO YOUNG ,BLACK MAN NEXT TO WHITE MAN DURING PRAYERS
NO RACE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER AT THE END OMLY YOUR GOOD DEEDS AND FAITH CAM SAVE YOU

YORUBAS ARE NOT LOWER THAN THE HAUSA ,IF THE HAUSA FEELS SO THEN THRY ARE TOTALLY NOT INCONFIRMATION WITH ISLAM

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by smulti(m): 11:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
apholaryn:
and the award of the most foolish 2017 goes to this goat

that guy is right
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by thaqib(m): 11:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
Angelanest:
A Nigerian lawyer and community organizer, Franc Utoo, has weighed in on the trending Hijab controversy after Firdaus Amasa was denied being called to Bar in Abuja recently after she refused to remove her Hijab. Franc Utoo who once posed with Halima Buhari, the president's daughter in Hijab has shared his own take on the issue.

Read what he shared below;

CALL TO BAR:

Firdaus Amasa Up To A Veiled Mischief.

I have refrained from commenting on the trending controversy surrounding the defiance of one Firdaus Amasa (an Ilorin Muslim lady) to adhere to the hallowed Regulation of appropriate dressing for Call to the Nigerian Bar. This is because most commentators supportive of her infractions have added the delicate colours of religion to the topic. Sadly, I have observed many Lawyers here and many of my Law School mates, who obeyed the Rules themselves, but now chose to give credence to the lady's improper conduct. Unfortunately, we have chosen to elevate mundane issues above more important matters that will prosper and progress our country.

For a start, I am a 'small authority' on matters of students discipline, regulation and conduct in the Nigerian Law School, having been the Head of Bar part 1 (Foreign Students) programme and the first Bar 1 student to be voted President of the Students Representatives Council (SRC) during the Bar part 2 programme, and thus becoming the longest serving President of Law School students. I have intervened on countless occasions to retrieve seized jewelleries of ladies and 'inappropriate' ties and other attires of male students from the Students Affairs office. I intervened on students campus postings. I was awarded the "Face of Nigerian Law School" and "Most Influential Student" during our time and up to this day I maintain a great amount of influence in that noble ground. Even as President then, I was kindly turned back twice for wearing simple skin slippers on Kaftan instead of sandals, on Friday. I was once reprimanded for wearing black tie with touches of red. I operated under a Muslim DG of the Nigerian Law School, my boss - the amiable Prof. Tahir Mamman (SAN), who made sure the Regulations were applied strictly. On two occasions I was invited to the Students Disciplinary Committee to be informed of the expulsion of students. One that hurts me deeply was the case of a fellow Bar 1 students (the Secretary of our Bar 1 Electoral Committee) who was expelled with just a week to the Bar finals. Reason: the School received a petition from his wife in the UK (where he schooled and was resident)on some flimsy grounds spurred by the allegations that he married another wife in Nigeria, on coming for his Law School. Thomas Ogwumba later died after some of us were Called to Bar.

The Council of Legal Education regulates the affairs of the Nigerian Law School up to the time of Call to Bar. The Body of Benchers is responsible for the formal Call to the Bar. It was established under the Legal Practitioners Act (LPA), now CAP L11, LFN 2004. Both of these bodies make certain regulations towards upholding the core values of the legal profession and issues of discipline. On admission to the Law School, students are made to sign forms that bind them to the Rules and Regulations of the School, and towards the end of the programme students are again made to sign the Benchers form and deposed to a jurat indicating that they have CONSENTED to abide by the Rules and Regulations and all other instructions necessarily incidental.

The Law School dressing code sometimes have little variations on subjects relating to Hijab, but it has always been static for Call to Bar: no Hijab, no weave-on, no jewelleries, etc. Presently, the Kano campus of the Law School located in a strict Muslim state, does NOT allow the use of Hijab! The Abuja campus allows for a black, light Hijab but only a head scarf at best for Dinners.

In the attached pictures, 1 is me and Halima Mohammadu Buhari, the daughter of the President Buhari of Nigeria, during our Bar 1 programme in July 2012. Such Hijab was permissible then. Picture 2 was Dinner dressing with head scarf for ladies. Pictures 3 &4 are those of the same Halima Buhari during her Call to Bar. No scarf, no Hijab, only compliance (for a 2 hour programme). She consented for her 'rights' to be curtailed. I used the analogy of the President's daughter because it is a well known fact that she comes from a strictly devout Muslim family. All religious scriptures admonish us to obey God (Allah) while also respecting earthly authorities (Caesar) - see Quran 4:59.

In the Law School, those who live in the hostels consented to their freedom of movement to be 'breached.' Abuja headquarters campus hostels are locked with chains and locks every midnight. No one comes out nor goes in. That is the Rule. There was a night I was woken up by a group led by the current Team Manager of Rangers FC of Enugu, Amobi Ezeaku, to the effect that a thief just burgled a student's room on the first floor via the balcony and I had to reach out to the Hostel Porter to open the Hostel gate to enable us be in pursuit of the felon. The delay in opening the gate enabled the thief escape.

Nigerian legal system differs from those of other jurisdictions to some extent. This is why I fault the unfortunate statement allegedly made by the NBA President in his comparison of our Bar to that of New York. Some British Inns, for instance, allow for the wearing of Hijab. My classmate (an Indian Sikh), Kernail Singh, was Called dressed in his turban. I know as a fact that Black and White is a strict dress code for Nigerian University and Law School students, but in England where I studied for my undergraduate Degree in Law, no one cares if you come to the class wearing football shorts and basketball vest with 'unity' cap. There were times my Jurisprudence module lecturer would appear in a tight T-shirt exposing his cute biceps and crazy tattoos, and my mind would whisper to itsel, "this won't happen in Naija!" In the BPTC programme, students appear in various colours of suits and shirts.

Back to Firdaus Amasa, her defiance was clearly premeditated and designed for a veiled mischief. On the said day of her Call, after rudely standing against the traditional dress code, she was invited to the Benchers Room behind the stage at the International Conference Centre to meet with a Life Bencher and former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Alfa Belgore (himself a STRICT Muslim/Ilorin elder) who told her to remove the veil and join her colleagues in the hall. She refused. The Secretary of the Body of Benchers (a devout Muslim woman), Mrs Turaki, also joined in instructing her to do the needful. She refused again. Incidentally, Statutorily, the Body of Benchers Secretary is vested with the responsibility to ensure that Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Body are adhered to according to stipulated law.

In the end, by opting for the legal profession in Nigeria and by agreeing to come to the Law School and accepting to sign all the forms with attendant jurats, one has unambiguously concur to abide by the Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Council of Legal Education and Body of Benchers. The whole gist points out to one thing: Volenti non fit injuria, put in other words, CONSENT! Therefore, no Firdaus Amasa, her instigators and supporters are potent enough to alter this time hallowed procedure deeply steeped in tradition and conservatism. I bet that the conservative nature of the Benchers may lead them to applying more sanctions against the lady for even claiming she acted on purpose.

As a country, the challenges we face are real and deep. We can only surmount them if we concentrate on things that unite us rather on such things as the menace of sentimentalism that seek to further divide us.

Yours In Service,

Franc Fagah Utoo, Esq. LQC (Malaysia); LL.B Hons (Newcastle, UK ); BL (Abuja)
*Former President of the Students Representative Council (SRC), Nigerian Law School, Abuja.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/barrister-franc-utoo-weighs-in-on-trending-hijab-controversy.html

U are very biased and unfair. U also thinking very locally, I wonder if you have ever travelled to see what operates in other climes ,those from who we inherited our legal values. To argue that dressing according to ones belief is a calculated mischief is very unfortunate. .

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by thaqib(m): 11:58pm On Dec 18, 2017
rastaLivity:
muslims always want to be treated differently, and when they dnt get what they want they pickup arms and become terrorists
If you are a congenital retardee ,what can anybody do about that..
U need urgent help
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Standardcosting(m): 11:59pm On Dec 18, 2017
[s]
mbhs139:
Well, it has taken me this long to join in this discussion because I've only been getting snippets of the issues and mostly from my fellow Muslim brethren and of course with biased analysis. But with this analysis, I thought anyone going to the law school, with all the forms filled, as claimed by the OP ought to have known what they're entering or going into. Besides, I will put the blame on the door steps of past leaders of the law school and legal profession who are devout Muslims. They ought to have find a way, adroitly, to change the law which wouldn't have brought about this fuss.

As per the lady in question, she ought to have known, and I'm sure she knows, but only wanted to pull some stunts. She isn't only the devoured Muslim that has passed through the process. And a better way of changing the game would've been to lobby the senior members of the law profession and who are devoted Muslims or ask the court of the land to intervene after she must have qualified as a barrister.

By and large, she didn't apply wisdom. #IDon'tStandWithHer.
[/s]
I understand you!
But then....
Even your newly found 'wisdom' won't save you!

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Saintsquare(m): 12:12am On Dec 19, 2017
amazon14:

Then our Igbo leaders in the north wil carry playcards in support of hijab wearing in law school. They will even Igbo law students to wear hijab or..........!
Our leaders make me sick
bro I don't know your profession but I swear comedy is your calling, I haven't laughed like this in years hahaha

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by chronique(m): 12:31am On Dec 19, 2017
Standardcosting:
For 'Mentioners'

If I didn't reply you, Just know you comment wasn't intelligent enough

you didn't even respond to the issue from an intelligent position and it beats my imagination,how you intend to decipher which comments are intelligent enough,for you to reply. i bet you missed the point in his article that "states that there are certain rules and regulations that students who come to law school,are made to sign to adhere to". the moment you agree to be bound by such rules and regulations,you automatically agree to put behind your religious beliefs,to adhere to those laws. the most annoying thing about most Christians and Muslims who try to be overzealous in practicing their religion is that,most of them are usually not intelligent.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by pawesome(m): 12:39am On Dec 19, 2017
chrisxxx:
Firduas or what they call her is only obeying Islamic injunction. Firdaus should be allowed to use her hijab if and only if she could present herself for virginity test. I am certain Islamic creeds are against sex before marriage. Compliance should be total and not selective hypocritical observance.
bros,you see d gal face so?...she too ugly to even make prick stand...

But sha....some guys no get chill

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by WORDSENSEI: 12:39am On Dec 19, 2017
thaqib:

U are very biased and unfair. U also thinking very locally, I wonder if you have ever travelled to see what operates in other climes ,those from who we inherited our legal values. To argue that dressing according to ones belief is a calculated mischief is very unfortunate. .

My friend keep quiet.
Homosexuality is also accepted in other climes. Why not here?
You, Firdaus and your other supporters are all animals. FOH.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by pawesome(m): 12:46am On Dec 19, 2017
Yoruba muslims tinkin dt de re d real muslims

Come to d north n claim muslim..during the crisis in jos 2006,yoruba muslims had to run away frm muslim areas and come to christian areas because the hausa muslims call dem 'arne'....that they are fake...Hausas are d core muslims buh stil yet they obey simple authority...

So who does she tink she is?...she should tnk God it wsnt in Kano campus if nt i bet her,she wnt leave Kano scot free...cz all d hausas wil tink f is a yoruba muslim coming to dia state to teach dem religion

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Nobody: 12:48am On Dec 19, 2017
chrisxxx:
Firduas or what they call her is only obeying Islamic injunction. Firdaus should be allowed to use her hijab if and only if she could present herself for virginity test. I am certain Islamic creeds are against sex before marriage. Compliance should be total and not selective hypocritical observance.
badt guy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by pawesome(m): 12:48am On Dec 19, 2017
thaqib:

bros...calm down..call dis gal to bar and same you wil complain wen it stats...imagine wt is gonna happen durin d next bar...u goan see dressing dt u goan b wowed at...d status quo has to b maintained

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by pawesome(m): 12:49am On Dec 19, 2017
lazygal:

IF WE DID THEN RICH WILL NOT STAND NEXT TO POOR ,OLD NEXT TO YOUNG ,BLACK MAN NEXT TO WHITE MAN DURING PRAYERS
NO RACE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER AT THE END OMLY YOUR GOOD DEEDS AND FAITH CAM SAVE YOU

YORUBAS ARE NOT LOWER THAN THE HAUSA ,IF THE HAUSA FEELS SO THEN THRY ARE TOTALLY NOT INCONFIRMATION WITH ISLAM
one thing i know and i can see from my 28yrs been in d north is dt Hausas dnt giv a bleep bout yoruba muslims...de dnt kia

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by sorextee(m): 1:01am On Dec 19, 2017
Those who insulted me when this issue first surfaced..
Where una dey now? That hijab matter Na propaganda. That firdaus girl would be a biased lawyer. Having spent 5yrs in d uni, 1yr law skool. Na for call to bar she claim say she wan change status quo. She's just a very big foooool. How will her parents look at her now.

Carry religion for head like darlin yaki. No be all of dem go still enter their Islamic heaven sef.

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by biblia1: 1:07am On Dec 19, 2017
Baby factory pikin

Kemperor:
They use the hijab to cover their Murderous brain...

Let's see if the president would make them accept hijab in Law School...

MURIC might threaten to kill all the Igbos if Law School don't accept hijab.... They love to involve the Igbo people in everything...
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by ImaIma1(f): 1:08am On Dec 19, 2017
rastaLivity:
muslims always want to be treated differently, and when they dnt get what they want they pickup arms and become terrorists

You couldn't have said it any better. One reason to start a "holy war"

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Nobody: 1:12am On Dec 19, 2017
as lawyers often do, this fellow has said a lot without saying anything.

he can also be said to be guilty of the same attention seeking he has been accusing Ms Firdaus as, with all his long references to his position as 'head of bar'

The Council of Legal Education regulates the affairs of the Nigerian Law School up to the time of Call to Bar. The Body of Benchers is responsible for the formal Call to the Bar. It was established under the Legal Practitioners Act (LPA), now CAP L11, LFN 2004. Both of these bodies make certain regulations towards upholding the core values of the legal profession and issues of discipline. On admission to the Law School, students are made to sign forms that bind them to the Rules and Regulations of the School, and towards the end of the programme students are again made to sign the Benchers form and deposed to a jurat indicating that they have CONSENTED to abide by the Rules and Regulations and all other instructions necessarily incidental.

http://www.lawschoollagos.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/code-of-conduct-for-law-students-lagos-campus.pdf

i have searched, and i found only the lagos state law school regulations. these regulations say nothing whatsoever on hijab being forbidden.
this is the relevant excerpt below:

2.0 DRESSING:
All students must be well dressed at all times in Regulation Wear.
2.1 MALE: Dark suit, white shirt, black tie (not bow tie), white breast pocket handkerchief (optional), black socks and black shoes (Sandals are not allowed).
During hot weather, male students may be permitted to wear white long sleeve shirts with black tie, black trousers (charcoal grey or dark blue may be allowed) and black shoes to class.
2.2 FEMALE: Dark gown or dark suit, (Black, dark blue or charcoal grey), white blouse, (not translucent or Tee- shirts), black skirt covering the knees and black covered shoes (Sandals, lace ups or peep toes are not allowed). There should be no embroidery and or trimmings of any type on the gown, suit or blouse; and only moderate jewelry should be worn- (No large dangling or coloured earrings, or bracelets are allowed). Also, coloured hair attachment, coloured braids, glitters or colouring of any type in the hair is prohibited.
During hot weather, female students may be permitted to wear plain white blouses (not translucent), not tee-shirts, black skirts covering the knee (charcoal grey or dark blue may be permitted) and black covered shoes to the class.
-1-

2.3 ALL Gowns and Skirts –
(a) Must be graceful, but not cling provocatively to the body;
(b) Must not be above the knee; and
(c) Must not have high slits (i.e. above the knee); and only at the back.

2.4 ALL Blouses or Shirts –
(a). Must be graceful, but not cling provocatively to the body;
(a) Must not be transparent; and
(c). Must not expose sensitive parts of the body i.e. it must not expose your cleavage,upper arm, stomach and/or navel.
• The above mode of dressing is mandatory for both male and female Students for attending lectures and other extra Curricula activities, and for attendance at Magistrate Courts and all Superior Courts.

The Law School dressing code sometimes have little variations on subjects relating to Hijab, but it has always been static for Call to Bar: no Hijab, no weave-on, no jewelleries, etc. Presently, the Kano campus of the Law School located in a strict Muslim state, does NOT allow the use of Hijab! The Abuja campus allows for a black, light Hijab but only a head scarf at best for Dinners.

like so many others in this matter, the fellow says hijab is not allowed - but unlike lawyers everywhere, he cannot point to section 4 , subsection 3, rule x - all he can say is 'it is not allowed' . everything said so far on this matter points to unwritten tradition/culture, not actual rules/policy.

equally odd is the deliberate ignorance on this fellows part. he says the abuja campus allows for a black light hijab, but only a head scarf. a person who studied in the uk, where they are very open on these things, somehow does not know that the hijab is a head scarf? what was ms firdaus wearing? was it not a scarf?

so what is MS firdaus wearing, if not a head scarf?

In the attached pictures, 1 is me and Halima Mohammadu Buhari, the daughter of the President Buhari of Nigeria, during our Bar 1 programme in July 2012. Such Hijab was permissible then. Picture 2 was Dinner dressing with head scarf for ladies. Pictures 3 &4 are those of the same Halima Buhari during her Call to Bar. No scarf, no Hijab, only compliance (for a 2 hour programme). She consented for her 'rights' to be curtailed. I used the analogy of the President's daughter because it is a well known fact that she comes from a strictly devout Muslim family. All religious scriptures admonish us to obey God (Allah) while also respecting earthly authorities (Caesar) - see Quran 4:59.

there are multiple issues here
1) as stated before, no one has been able to point to the actual written, signed off rule

2) nigeria is a multi religious country. contrary to the popular belief, Muslims have often been quiet in the face of different attitudes which are non secular or showing disregard for people of different faiths. i went to a government primary school, where christian prayers were said during assembly. muslim prayers were not said. the same happens in most dining halls in so called secular government secondary schools - christain prayers are said, muslim prayers are not said. the fact that this was not protested does not make it right. of course, if one day, a muslim had chosen to protest and insist that muslim prayers be said during assembly, or during a meal, the next thing would be the screams of islamic agenda - it is in teh rules, render unto ceasar - over a traditin slanting towards one religion.

3)Halima Buhari, is a very beautiful and well spoken young lady, but i do not recall anyone appointing her as a beacon for muslim ladies in nigeria. are all msulim ladies daughters of preseidents? are all muslim ladies married to billionaires? are all muslim ladies on social media?

4)even if zahra buhari felt the same way as firdaus, she would not have insisted on a hijab uring her call to bar because pdp, fan kayode, the nigerian press etc, would immedaiately jump on this as buhari's islamisationa agenda. we have seen all sorts of ridiculos allegations already - was it not earlier this year where the same dailies were shouting about a so called scheme to remove crk from the national curriculum?

5) as a multireligious country, some things do not need to be stated. friday is jumat. In 100% muslim countries, Friday is the weekend. in nigeria, mst employers etal tactily and quietly allow muslim staff to take 2 hours off for jumat. that is religious inclusion. nigeria is 50% muslim, and as i have stated repeatedly on other threads,wearing the hijab is not an issue in any other profession in this country, be it engineering, corporate nigeria, etal.

Nigerian legal system differs from those of other jurisdictions to some extent. This is why I fault the unfortunate statement allegedly made by the NBA President in his comparison of our Bar to that of New York. Some British Inns, for instance, allow for the wearing of Hijab. My classmate (an Indian Sikh), Kernail Singh, was Called dressed in his turban. I know as a fact that Black and White is a strict dress code for Nigerian University and Law School students, but in England where I studied for my undergraduate Degree in Law, no one cares if you come to the class wearing football shorts and basketball vest with 'unity' cap. There were times my Jurisprudence module lecturer would appear in a tight T-shirt exposing his cute biceps and crazy tattoos, and my mind would whisper to itsel, "this won't happen in Naija!" In the BPTC programme, students appear in various colours of suits and shirts.

this is double speak. the issue at question is not what people wear to class; it is what people wear to the bar, and ultimately, what people are allowed to wear to pratise law. i am suprised that a so called lawyer does not understand basic logic - which is what law is about in the end.

Back to Firdaus Amasa, her defiance was clearly premeditated and designed for a veiled mischief. On the said day of her Call, after rudely standing against the traditional dress code, she was invited to the Benchers Room behind the stage at the International Conference Centre to meet with a Life Bencher and former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Alfa Belgore (himself a STRICT Muslim/Ilorin elder) who told her to remove the veil and join her colleagues in the hall. She refused. The Secretary of the Body of Benchers (a devout Muslim woman), Mrs Turaki, also joined in instructing her to do the needful. She refused again. Incidentally, Statutorily, the Body of Benchers Secretary is vested with the responsibility to ensure that Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Body are adhered to according to stipulated law.

yes, it was premediatated, because this is actually the only way to bring this issue to the forefront and let it be closed once and for all. Nigerian muslims have the right to wear hijab when practicing law. there should not be any ambiguity or subjection to a judges' whim.

i will continue to reference Rosa parks in this matter. the issues are broadly similar. for years there has been an unwritten restriction on female lawyers wearing hijab in the law court. people will say tradition, way it is done etc etc. there are NO written rules that speak to this. one person has decided to stand up and challenge this. we are a secular country yes - we are also a multicultural country. accomodations must be made for others religious choices. Modest/devout muslim women wear teh hijab AT ALL TIMES. working women have already struck a compromise - in the workplace they wear the hijab, not niqab, not chador, not burqah. this is because they also unndersatnd the need to look professional.

if you feel you can wear native doctor clothing/ cele clothing etc, and loo professional, you are also free to push for it. in the case in osun, i simply saw people making themselves look daft and silly.

In the end, by opting for the legal profession in Nigeria and by agreeing to come to the Law School and accepting to sign all the forms with attendant jurats, one has unambiguously concur to abide by the Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Council of Legal Education and Body of Benchers. The whole gist points out to one thing: Volenti non fit injuria, put in other words, CONSENT! Therefore, no Firdaus Amasa, her instigators and supporters are potent enough to alter this time hallowed procedure deeply steeped in tradition and conservatism. I bet that the conservative nature of the Benchers may lead them to applying more sanctions against the lady for even claiming she acted on purpose.

actually, that is where teh fellow is most wrong. in the end, this will be about business and numbers. there is a large contingent of Muslim lawyers and clients. in addition to this, they are well heeled. hijab is a non issue, and IT WILL sail through.

in the end, the issue is about choice. i can choose not to grow a beard; however you should not be forcing me not to grow a beard based on a nebulous tradition. a lady can choose not to wear hijab - however she should not be forced not to wear hijab. end of.

i seem to remember the guy also did some stuff in malaysia - well this is from court in malaysia -

sad that the guy went round the world but still came out an intolerant prick. the story of nigerians

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by princemartinsG(m): 1:14am On Dec 19, 2017
This case scenario is one big reason for us to see evidently that majority of Nigerian youths, including those of us who claim to be educated and learned wallows in misplaced priority and poverty of philosophy.

Would this defiant attitude and religious bigotry not be the same character she would propagate if she is entrusted with positions of leadership

Many of we young people today are so theoretically educated and practically ignorant of fundamental rules required to live purposefully

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Sterope(f): 1:18am On Dec 19, 2017
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Nobody: 1:27am On Dec 19, 2017
I don’t see how her wearing the birqa will affect her ability to practice the law she went to school for

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by bigfish3k: 1:54am On Dec 19, 2017
Is the wig not covering her already?
so why dress like a sick person in the name of hijab

she will be religiously biased when handling cases

she is just a hypocrite

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by shallysgirl: 2:02am On Dec 19, 2017
thaqib:

Did you read before commenting?I Am sure you didnt.if you did,you would know that he schooled abroad and you didnt even check his sign off to know he is professionally connected to Malaysia,Uk and Nigeria.
Nansense. Islamist

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by enemyofprogress: 2:16am On Dec 19, 2017
Foolish girl. She just created unnecessary negative attention for herself.. She she should be suspended from practicing for 25 years to serve as a lesson to others

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by JennyOfOldstones(f): 2:27am On Dec 19, 2017
free2ryhme:

Presently, the Kano campus of the Law School located in a strict Muslim state, does NOT allow the use of Hijab! The Abuja campus allows for a black, light Hijab but only a head scarf at best for Dinners.
This is not true. I school at the Kano Campus and Muslims girls are allowed to wear Hijab; At least to class. Though, I have no idea if they would be allowed to wear it during the law dinner next year.
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by enemyofprogress: 3:14am On Dec 19, 2017
mazimee:
Una still dey ontop this matter?
we never shiiiiiit finish now,lala still dey come for back
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by enemyofprogress: 3:18am On Dec 19, 2017
lazygal:

says who?Have you even seen a mosque in the north where northeners allow a yoruba imam or alfa to lead them in prayers?keep deceiving yourself, take it or leave,the north doesn't see you people as true Muslims

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by TijaniAbu: 4:11am On Dec 19, 2017
Na wa so Halima Buhari did bar 1 in 2012? So why was she called to bar in 2015 or 2016? Did she sit exams? Corruption
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Dante2008(m): 4:30am On Dec 19, 2017
Angelanest:
A Nigerian lawyer and community organizer, Franc Utoo, has weighed in on the trending Hijab controversy after Firdaus Amasa was denied being called to Bar in Abuja recently after she refused to remove her Hijab. Franc Utoo who once posed with Halima Buhari, the president's daughter in Hijab has shared his own take on the issue.

Read what he shared below;

CALL TO BAR:

Firdaus Amasa Up To A Veiled Mischief.

I have refrained from commenting on the trending controversy surrounding the defiance of one Firdaus Amasa (an Ilorin Muslim lady) to adhere to the hallowed Regulation of appropriate dressing for Call to the Nigerian Bar. This is because most commentators supportive of her infractions have added the delicate colours of religion to the topic. Sadly, I have observed many Lawyers here and many of my Law School mates, who obeyed the Rules themselves, but now chose to give credence to the lady's improper conduct. Unfortunately, we have chosen to elevate mundane issues above more important matters that will prosper and progress our country.

For a start, I am a 'small authority' on matters of students discipline, regulation and conduct in the Nigerian Law School, having been the Head of Bar part 1 (Foreign Students) programme and the first Bar 1 student to be voted President of the Students Representatives Council (SRC) during the Bar part 2 programme, and thus becoming the longest serving President of Law School students. I have intervened on countless occasions to retrieve seized jewelleries of ladies and 'inappropriate' ties and other attires of male students from the Students Affairs office. I intervened on students campus postings. I was awarded the "Face of Nigerian Law School" and "Most Influential Student" during our time and up to this day I maintain a great amount of influence in that noble ground. Even as President then, I was kindly turned back twice for wearing simple skin slippers on Kaftan instead of sandals, on Friday. I was once reprimanded for wearing black tie with touches of red. I operated under a Muslim DG of the Nigerian Law School, my boss - the amiable Prof. Tahir Mamman (SAN), who made sure the Regulations were applied strictly. On two occasions I was invited to the Students Disciplinary Committee to be informed of the expulsion of students. One that hurts me deeply was the case of a fellow Bar 1 students (the Secretary of our Bar 1 Electoral Committee) who was expelled with just a week to the Bar finals. Reason: the School received a petition from his wife in the UK (where he schooled and was resident)on some flimsy grounds spurred by the allegations that he married another wife in Nigeria, on coming for his Law School. Thomas Ogwumba later died after some of us were Called to Bar.

In the Law School, those who live in the hostels consented to their freedom of movement to be 'breached.' Abuja headquarters campus hostels are locked with chains and locks every midnight. No one comes out nor goes in. That is the Rule. There was a night I was woken up by a group led by the current Team Manager of Rangers FC of Enugu, Amobi Ezeaku, to the effect that a thief just burgled a student's room on the first floor via the balcony and I had to reach out to the Hostel Porter to open the Hostel gate to enable us be in pursuit of the felon. The delay in opening the gate enabled the thief escape.

As a country, the challenges we face are real and deep. We can only surmount them if we concentrate on things that unite us rather on such things as the menace of sentimentalism that seek to further divide us.

Yours In Service,

Franc Fagah Utoo, Esq. LQC (Malaysia); LL.B Hons (Newcastle, UK ); BL (Abuja)
*Former President of the Students Representative Council (SRC), Nigerian Law School, Abuja.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/barrister-franc-utoo-weighs-in-on-trending-hijab-controversy.html
This tells us how good you are with the Islamic injunction on hijab. Please for the fact that some people choose to drop their religious obligation does not make what they do right, there is nothing on the surface of this earth that will make u obey the creature over the creator, is an injunction in the Quran, Allah gave an order for woman to cover themselves and it was explained in the Hadith of the prophet that on no normal circumstances should a Muslim woman expose her body in the public including her hair, so therefore don't come and quote the Quran ignorantly I mislead people on this matter. The Quran is clear on this matter, obey Allah, his prophet and those place in authority over you, this is how the obedience follows in ranking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Kdon2: 4:33am On Dec 19, 2017
[quote author=Standardcosting post=63406737][/quote]

Upon all your religiosity sickness you still can't see that bending the rule is self serving. What happens if a traditionalist decide to wear masquerade dress to the call to bar? People like you will scream blue murder right? Mitchew!
Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Kdon2: 4:35am On Dec 19, 2017
Standardcosting:
For 'Mentioners'

If I didn't reply you, Just know you comment wasn't intelligent enough

You are daft. Very daft.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS by Diademk07: 4:37am On Dec 19, 2017
oyb:
as lawyers often do, this fellow has said a lot without saying anything.

he can also be said to be guilty of the same attention seeking he has been accusing Ms Firdaus as, with all his long references to his position as 'head of bar'

http://www.lawschoollagos.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/code-of-conduct-for-law-students-lagos-campus.pdf

i have searched, and i found only the lagos state law school regulations. these regulations say nothing whatsoever on hijab being forbidden.
this is the relevant excerpt below:

2.0 DRESSING:
All students must be well dressed at all times in Regulation Wear.
2.1 MALE: Dark suit, white shirt, black tie (not bow tie), white breast pocket handkerchief (optional), black socks and black shoes (Sandals are not allowed).
During hot weather, male students may be permitted to wear white long sleeve shirts with black tie, black trousers (charcoal grey or dark blue may be allowed) and black shoes to class.
2.2 FEMALE: Dark gown or dark suit, (Black, dark blue or charcoal grey), white blouse, (not translucent or Tee- shirts), black skirt covering the knees and black covered shoes (Sandals, lace ups or peep toes are not allowed). There should be no embroidery and or trimmings of any type on the gown, suit or blouse; and only moderate jewelry should be worn- (No large dangling or coloured earrings, or bracelets are allowed). Also, coloured hair attachment, coloured braids, glitters or colouring of any type in the hair is prohibited.
During hot weather, female students may be permitted to wear plain white blouses (not translucent), not tee-shirts, black skirts covering the knee (charcoal grey or dark blue may be permitted) and black covered shoes to the class.
-1-

2.3 ALL Gowns and Skirts –
(a) Must be graceful, but not cling provocatively to the body;
(b) Must not be above the knee; and
(c) Must not have high slits (i.e. above the knee); and only at the back.

2.4 ALL Blouses or Shirts –
(a). Must be graceful, but not cling provocatively to the body;
(a) Must not be transparent; and
(c). Must not expose sensitive parts of the body i.e. it must not expose your cleavage,upper arm, stomach and/or navel.
• The above mode of dressing is mandatory for both male and female Students for attending lectures and other extra Curricula activities, and for attendance at Magistrate Courts and all Superior Courts.

like so many others in this matter, the fellow says hijab is not allowed - but unlike lawyers everywhere, he cannot point to section 4 , subsection 3, rule x - all he can say is 'it is not allowed' . everything said so far on this matter points to unwritten tradition/culture, not actual rules/policy.

equally odd is the deliberate ignorance on this fellows part. he says the abuja campus allows for a black light hijab, but only a head scarf. a person who studied in the uk, where they are very open on these things, somehow does not know that the hijab is a head scarf? what was ms firdaus wearing? was it not a scarf?

so what is MS firdaus wearing, if not a head scarf?

there are multiple issues here
1) as stated before, no one has been able to point to the actual written, signed off rule

2) nigeria is a multi religious country. contrary to the popular belief, Muslims have often been quiet in the face of different attitudes which are non secular or showing disregard for people of different faiths. i went to a government primary school, where christian prayers were said during assembly. muslim prayers were not said. the same happens in most dining halls in so called secular government secondary schools - christain prayers are said, muslim prayers are not said. the fact that this was not protested does not make it right. of course, if one day, a muslim had chosen to protest and insist that muslim prayers be said during assembly, or during a meal, the next thing would be the screams of islamic agenda - it is in teh rules, render unto ceasar - over a traditin slanting towards one religion.

3)Halima Buhari, is a very beautiful and well spoken young lady, but i do not recall anyone appointing her as a beacon for muslim ladies in nigeria. are all msulim ladies daughters of preseidents? are all muslim ladies married to billionaires? are all muslim ladies on social media?

4)even if zahra buhari felt the same way as firdaus, she would not have insisted on a hijab uring her call to bar because pdp, fan kayode, the nigerian press etc, would immedaiately jump on this as buhari's islamisationa agenda. we have seen all sorts of ridiculos allegations already - was it not earlier this year where the same dailies were shouting about a so called scheme to remove crk from the national curriculum?

5) as a multireligious country, some things do not need to be stated. friday is jumat. In 100% muslim countries, Friday is the weekend. in nigeria, mst employers etal tactily and quietly allow muslim staff to take 2 hours off for jumat. that is religious inclusion. nigeria is 50% muslim, and as i have stated repeatedly on other threads,wearing the hijab is not an issue in any other profession in this country, be it engineering, corporate nigeria, etal.

this is double speak. the issue at question is not what people wear to class; it is what people wear to the bar, and ultimately, what people are allowed to wear to pratise law. i am suprised that a so called lawyer does not understand basic logic - which is what law is about in the end.

yes, it was premediatated, because this is actually the only way to bring this issue to the forefront and let it be closed once and for all. Nigerian muslims have the right to wear hijab when practicing law. there should not be any ambiguity or subjection to a judges' whim.

i will continue to reference Rosa parks in this matter. the issues are broadly similar. for years there has been an unwritten restriction on female lawyers wearing hijab in the law court. people will say tradition, way it is done etc etc. there are NO written rules that speak to this. one person has decided to stand up and challenge this. we are a secular country yes - we are also a multicultural country. accomodations must be made for others religious choices. Modest/devout muslim women wear teh hijab AT ALL TIMES. working women have already struck a compromise - in the workplace they wear the hijab, not niqab, not chador, not burqah. this is because they also unndersatnd the need to look professional.

if you feel you can wear native doctor clothing/ cele clothing etc, and loo professional, you are also free to push for it. in the case in osun, i simply saw people making themselves look daft and silly.

actually, that is where teh fellow is most wrong. in the end, this will be about business and numbers. there is a large contingent of Muslim lawyers and clients. in addition to this, they are well heeled. hijab is a non issue, and IT WILL sail through.

in the end, the issue is about choice. i can choose not to grow a beard; however you should not be forcing me not to grow a beard based on a nebulous tradition. a lady can choose not to wear hijab - however she should not be forced not to wear hijab. end of.

i seem to remember the guy also did some stuff in malaysia - well this is from court in malaysia -

sad that the guy went round the world but still came out an intolerant prick. the story of nigerians

And no form of embroidment of any kinds in the hair is what?

Where are these dull folks springing out from for crying out loud?

One thing that's certain is Religion certainly reduce some educated folks to illiterates!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Query Letter Given To An Employee Of Toro LGA, Bauchi State / Thread On Volunteering Opportunities In Nigeria / Company To Pay Damages For A French Engineer Who Died While Having Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.