Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation (4192 Views)

Muslim Man Entered A Catholic Church In Canada And Prayed (Video, Photos) / Pastor Orr Shocks His Congregation, "Floats" Into Church During Service (Pics) / Pastor Orr Shocks His Congregation As He Flies Into Church During Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 8:50pm On Dec 20, 2017
What would you do if your Catholic priest comes out as a gay man?

pulse.ng

Dec 20, 2017 1:44 PM

This priest got a standing ovation from his congregation after hitting them with this news.

Fr. Gregory Greiten just told his congregation that he is gay  (ncronline)

A Roman Catholic priest has just come out as a gay person.

Rev. Gregory Greiten of Milwaukee’s St. Bernadette Parish made this startling revelation to his church members, whoresponded with a standing ovation.

Huffington Post reports that the priest, who is in Wisconsin, United States, opened up about his sexuality on Sunday, December 17, 2017.

He said, “I am Greg. I am a Roman Catholic priest. And, yes, I am gay!”

Fr. Grey was ordained in 1992  (ncronline)

The priest lets the entire world know

Rev. Greiten did not just enlighten his congregation. He went on to share the news with the rest of the world.

He did this on Monday, December 18, 2017, with a first-person column in National Catholic Reporter.

The priest wrote, “A few Roman Catholic priests around the world have mustered up the courage to break through the wall of silence and speak the truth about their sexual identity.

“I pledge to you that I will no longer live my life in the shadows of secrecy. I promise to be my authentically gay self. I will embrace the person that God created me to be.

“This fire burning deep inside my heart, I will no longer contain. I will not be silent any longer; the price to pay is way too great. I must speak my truth. I have lived far too many years chained up and imprisoned in the closet behind walls of shame, trauma and abuse because of the homophobia and discrimination so prevalent in my church and the world."

Fr. Gregory Greiten just told his congregation that he is gay  (ncronline)

“But rather, today, I chart a new course in freedom and in integrity knowing that there is nothing that anyone can do to hurt or destroy my spirit any longer. First steps in accepting and loving the person God created me to be.”

Rev. Greiten also chastised the Catholic Church for its stance on homosexuality saying, “By choosing to enforce silence, the institutional church pretends that gay priests and religious do not really exist.

“Because of this, there are no authentic role models of healthy, well-balanced, gay, celibate priests to be an example for those, young and old, who are struggling to come to terms with their sexual orientation.This only perpetuates the toxic shaming and systemic secrecy.”

How his church really feels about having a gay priest

Greiten may have gotten a standing applause from his congregation but it does not mean everyone is particularly happy about his announcement.

For Madge Powell, who has been a parishioner at St. Bernadette’s for eight years, his sexuality makes no difference.

Speaking with National Catholic Reporter, she said, “I love him for the person he is.”

However, Shawn Govern feels otherwise. Govern, who does not same-sex marriage, said, “He made a choice to walk in Christ’s shoes because he’s not going to be accepted by everyone.”

Pope Francis does not judge but he also approved of the 2005 policy that says that “persons with homosexual tendencies” cannot be admitted to Catholic seminaries  (cathnews)

Milwaukee’s Archbishop Jerome Listecki has also reacted with a statement released to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

He said, “We support Father Greiten in his own, personal journey and telling his story of coming to understand and live with his sexual orientation.

“As the Church teaches, those with same-sex attraction must be treated with understanding and compassion. As priests who have made a promise to celibacy, we know that every week there are people in our pews who struggle with the question of homosexuality.”

“Greg’s own story reminds each of us of God’s call to continue to grow in understanding and to live holy, chaste lives.”

Greiten remains unbothered with these reactions because he says his decision was a personal choice.

In an interview with NBC affiliate TMJ 4, he said, “The difference for me now is I get to live a life that’s open. It is honest and it’s full of integrity, and that’s what’s most important to me.”

Greiten says he accepted that he was gay on a five-hour drive back to seminary at age 24.

Now, he vows not to live in the “shadows of secrecy” after celebrating his 25th year as a priest in May 2017.

Other gay priests

This is not the first time the Catholic churchhas had to deal with a gay priest.

In November, Rev. Steve Wolf of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Clarksville, Tennessee, had a retreat for gay priests, religious brothers, and anyone involved in the ministry.

Father Steve Wolf of Immaculate Conception parish, Nashville, Tennessee is an openly gay priest  (newwaysministry)

The retreat was tagged, “ Following Jesus in Holy Honesty.”

Before that, Rev. Warren Hall came out as a gay man. He made this decision after he was removed as campus minister at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J. for supporting a Facebook group that advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and racial justice.

Rev. Warren Hall came out after he was removed as campus minister of Seton Hall University in May, 2015  (Frances Micklow/The Star-Ledger)

Later, he was reassigned to a Hoboken, N.J., parish. The (Bergen County, N.J.) Record reports that he was suspended in September 2016 by Newark, N.J., archbishop for supporting a Catholic school staffer and girls basketball coach who was fired for being in a same-sex marriage.

He discussed the suspension in an email to Religion News Service. He wrote, “The problem is that we have an archbishop who doesn’t believe you can be gay and Catholic.”

In 2016, yet another priest named Michael Shanahan came out as a gay man in a Washington Post article titled, ‘I’m gay and I’m a priest, period.’

Rev. Fred Daley pictured with a church member came out in 2004  (washingtonpost)

What is the Church’s stance?

The problem is when it comes to the issue of homosexuality. In 2005, Pope Benedict XVI wrote that being gay is “objectively disordered.”

He added that the church, “while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practice homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called ‘gay culture.”

Pope Benedict XVI joins Twitter  (abcnews)

This decision was repeated by the Vatican’s Congregation for Clergy on Dec. 8, 2016, who once again stated that men with “deep-seated homosexual tendencies” should not become seminarians.

This seems pretty straightforward until you take into account Pope Francis’ famous“Who am I to judge?” comment when asked about gay priests in 2013.

For now, the Catholic church is still very opposed to gay priests but this is clearly not stopping the priests from coming out of the closets.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 9:39pm On Dec 20, 2017
Standing ovation!The catholic church should stop saying we are the oldest church or... I will build my church the gate of heaven... Blah blah blah. Things are getting out of hand. The kind of evil, immorality going on in that church. It's much. Anyway, like the Pope said Judge not. Nonsense. By the way, I was born a catholic. But left. Thank God. Now waiting for catholic defenders
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 10:04pm On Dec 20, 2017
ought not the priest be celibate? How does the issue of Homosexuality come in, or are they indirectly telling the world that they are indeed not celibate?

This is strange. Does this mean he engages in sexual activities with other men in the Priesthood? And he was given a standing Ovation.

Step by Step, the Catholic church is unfolding it's long term agenda.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:19pm On Dec 20, 2017
Biko before I comment, let me see the sauce
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2017
Once it is confirmed he will be on his way out of the Catholic priesthood. As the article says, there is no provision for anyone with homosexual tendencies in the Catholic seminary let alone the priesthood
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by bloodofthelamb(m): 10:38pm On Dec 20, 2017
This guy just lied against GOD. How can he say GOD created him gay?

In the beginning GOD created man, then later added woman. The scripture says, a man will leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife, were both of them will become like one Gen2:24.

He need JESUS to conquer the spirit of gayism.

1 Like

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 10:58pm On Dec 20, 2017
Google the Priest's name you will see the news for yourself even on National catholic website. The Priest has been living like that for years. The fact that the congregation gave him standing ovation means they are in support of it. In seminary school gay sex is like water.

1 Like

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by MicheyJ1: 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2017
Homosexuality is a common practice amongst Catholics

2 Likes

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Ubenedictus(m): 1:55am On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Once it is confirmed he will be on his way out of the Catholic priesthood. As the article says, there is no provision for anyone with homosexual tendencies in the Catholic seminary let alone the priesthood
it is not so clear cut... a lot depends on his Bishop.

there is a guideline that prevents people with same sex attraction from becoming priests. In fact the seminaries are suppose to make sure a same sex attracted person never become a priest.

But there is no law that says a same sex attracted person who is already a priest and is keeping all his vows and discharging all his duties should be pursued from the priesthood.

in fact I don't think his same sex attraction is enough reasons for him to be laicized.... he hasn't committed a crime worth such treatment...he is celibate.... he may be suspended and even curtailed but all that depends on his Bishop, he may also go scot free, he suffers from a disordered affection he hasn't committed a crime.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 1:55am On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:
ought not the priest be celibate? How does the issue of Homosexuality come in, or are they indirectly telling the world that they are indeed not celibate?

This is strange. Does this mean he engages in sexual activities with other men in the Priesthood? And he was given a standing Ovation.

Of course he was doing it with other Priests. Was it doing it alone. Homosexuality is a chain reaction. Even if they remove the Priest will they remove the others he was doing the deed with.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Ubenedictus(m): 1:57am On Dec 21, 2017
MicheyJ1:
Homosexuality is a common practice amongst Catholics
the fallacy of judging a whole by the few.

1 Like

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 1:58am On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:

there is a guideline that prevents people with same sex attraction from becoming priests. In fact the seminaries are suppose to make sure a same sex attracted person never become a priest.

But there is no law that says a same sex attracted person who is already a priest and is keeping all his vows and discharging all his duties should be pursued from the priesthood.

in fact I don't think his same sex attraction is enough reasons for him to be laicized.... he hasn't committed a crime worth such treatment...he is celibate.... he may be suspended and even curtailed but all that depends on his Bishop, he may also go scot free, he suffers from a disordered affection he hasn't committed a crime.

You know what it means. First, Priests took a vow of celibacy. But homosexuality? It should not be mentioned
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Ubenedictus(m): 2:00am On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:

he is celibate.

the wahala is, celibate priest are suppose to be attracted to ladies, this one is attracted to men.

he has same sex attraction, that can happen even if the person is celibate.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Ubenedictus(m): 2:05am On Dec 21, 2017
Prosper123:

You know what it means. First, Priests took a vow of celibacy. But homosexuality? It should not be mentioned
same sex attraction is a disorder, sodomy is the sin... this priest has a disorder as far as I can tell he hasn't committed any sin.

homosexuality can be a sin just like any other sin, I don't understand why you put it in a class of its own.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 8:07am On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
he is celibate.

the wahala is, celibate priest are suppose to be attracted to ladies, this one is attracted to men.

he has same sex attraction, that can happen even if the person is celibate.

What are you saying? A celibates should not have any sexual attraction at all, whether to men or woman, except you are trying to say, they are indeed not celibates.

Apostle Paul was celibate, we never heard he was attracted to women.

What a shame. All the lies and deception.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by hopefulLandlord: 8:14am On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:

What are you saying? A celibates should not have any sexual attraction at all

er, Celibacy and attraction are two different things

a Celibate would chose not to act on the attraction but getting the attraction doesn't mean he/she was not celibate to begin with

1 Like

Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 8:15am On Dec 21, 2017
Prosper123:

Of course he was doing it with other Priests. Was it doing it alone. Homosexuality is a chain reaction. Even if they remove the Priest will they remove the others he was doing the deed with.

This is a shame.

The Catholics were all over the place beating the drums of hypocrisy saying Homosexuality is a Protestant thing, forgetting that Priests have been molesting little kids since the inception of the satanic Priesthood which Jesus never instituted.

I remember when an Anglican Priest declared he was gay, the whole world cut in half, but here a Catholic Priest did the same, he received a standing evasion from the Catholics.

What a Shame.

Babylon the great. the mother of all prostitutes has fallen, Come out of her or you drink the cup of the indignation coming to her.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 8:25am On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the fallacy of judging a whole by the few.
No sir, it is not that.

It's not about the ignorant or proud people who worship there, but the organisation. The Catholic Organization is Homosexual incline, hence the Priesthood and the Nunnery.

Right now, pride will not let you condemn the evil of Catholic Church o. The organization will pull many proud people down with them o.

Believe me, all my friends who went into catholic convents to school came out Lesbians. Guess who brings them into it? Reverend Sisters. They discuss their first time as little kids fresh from Primary school. Satan is wicked.

The priesthood, both Fathers and Nuns are gay. They commit abomination with each other.

God said marry, Satan said, don't. From where did they see the celibacy Act in the Bible as a practice?

The Levitical Priests married, who introduced the 'Don't marry' Art.?

Cc: DoctorAlien, pls come and help me.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 9:15am On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:

I agree, but if the same Bishop is also gay? What happens?
Ubenedictus:

You can't be serous, or rather, they are not serious. Is that guideline written or it's like a litmus test to ascertain same sex attractions?

And, this guidelines has been in use from the inception of the Catholic Priesthood right? Yet homosexuality is common in the Catholic fold.
Sir, What exactly does the Seminaries to to keep gay people out of the Priesthood, seeing the highest cases of same sex activities are prevalent there?

From when i was a child, we hear of Priest molesting boys. We listen to our parents, senior Catholic people talk about it like it was nothing serious.

Then i didn't even know what it meant. My mind was to young to conjure up an image of a man and a man together.
Abba, thank you for bringing me out of that satanic hold.
Ubenedictus:

What really surprises me in this your stance is, how does one even know that a Priest is gay when everyone in there ought to be Celibate?

Hasn't it occurred to you that, that issue should never even come up? Why should that Issue come up when you have sworn an Oath to remain without sex whether with men or women?

For the fact that it comes up means that, Celibacy is a Charade in Catholic Church. It's only to fool their ignorant followers.

Come to think of it, Celibacy for the Priest is a Hellenistic Pagan practice, not Jewish or Christian.
Ubenedictus:

in fact I don't think his same sex attraction is enough reasons for him to be laicized....
No, you wouldn't see it as enough reason becos he is Catholic, and as a Catholic, you don't see what YHWH frowns against as anything important.

Ubenedictus:

he hasn't committed a crime worth such treatment...
He hasn't committed a crime or Sin against who? The Catholic Hellenistic Pagan organization which tramples on YHWH'S laws or YHWH whom he pretends to serve?

Oh wait, homosexuality is acceptable in the Hellenistic pagan religions.

Ubenedictus:

he is celibate....
Why are then talking about his sexual preference? Or is there another meaning of Celibacy?

Ubenedictus:

he may be suspended and even curtailed but all that depends on his Bishop, he may also go scot free, he suffers from a disordered affection he hasn't committed a crime.
It's a shame.
Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, {Disciples} and are not, but do lie...
Revelation:3:9

The AntiChrist shall be Homosexual because, it is his duty to oppose everything Christ instituted, and marriage between an adult consenting man and woman is Christ ordianed.

Anyone who has the spirit of homosexuality, has the Seal of the Antichrist. They are the Soldiers of Armageddon.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 9:29am On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:
same sex attraction is a disorder, sodomy is the sin... this priest has a disorder as far as I can tell he hasn't committed any sin.

homosexuality can be a sin just like any other sin, I don't understand why you put it in a class of its own.
Now the Catholic Priest has declared his abominable stance, we should all treat it as a normal thing, but when an Anglican Priest declared his, you Catholics called a Crusade against the Protestants abi?

And, lying or fornication is a sin, but homosexuality is an abomination. YHWH said that, i didn't.

I judged you a very intelligent person. pls don't say this, it's a spoiler.

If this man does not commit Sodomy with other Priests or people outside the Priesthood, why then is it important for him to publicly declare it?

If i don't drink, why should i go about declaring publicly that i have thirst or longing for Alcohol?

Why will i do that except i want to declare my stance in case someone sees me drinking alcohol, so it won't seem a shock to the person?

Abeg sir. What that priest has done is telling everyone that he has no interest for women unlike other priests, his preference is for men and no one shd be surprised in case he is seen handling a boy.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 9:30am On Dec 21, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

er, Celibacy and attraction are two different things

a Celibate would chose not to act on the attraction but getting the attraction doesn't mean he/she was not celibate to begin with
Fine, Since he is not to act on that attraction as a Celibate Priest, why did he declare it?
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 9:40am On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:
Then all those Gay Priests who molested boys are out of the priesthood abi?

The kind lesbianism wey dey inside the Catholic convent eh? No Reverend sister is whole. Mother Superior Chooses for herself when new kids come in then leaves the rest for others.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 11:57am On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:

Then all those Gay Priests who molested boys are out of the priesthood abi?

The kind lesbianism wey dey inside the Catholic convent eh? No Reverend sister is whole. Mother Superior Chooses for herself when new kids come in then leaves the rest for others.

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY GAY PRIEST WHO MOLESTED BOYS AND IS STILL IN THE CATHOLIC PRIESTHOOD? LESBIANIS IN CATHOLIC CONVENT SCHOOL? WHICH ONE DID YOU ATTEND AND WHAT HAPPENED?
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY GAY PRIEST WHO MOLESTED BOYS AND IS STILL IN THE CATHOLIC PRIESTHOOD? LESBIANIS IN CATHOLIC CONVENT SCHOOL? WHICH ONE DID YOU ATTEND AND WHAT HAPPENED?
Stop shouting, am not deft.

I have no time to argue with you, i did exactly what you are doing now while a Catholic. In pride to defend the First pagan church, i also defended her.

And yes, Lesbianism is Concern schools. Am not telling you what i read, the girls are stll living and it is still going on.

Satan lives in Convents, seminaries and monasteries.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 1:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:

Stop shouting, am not deft.

I have no time to argue with you, i did exactly what you are doing now while a Catholic. In pride to defend the First pagan church, i also defended her.

And yes, Lesbianism is Concern schools. Am not telling you what i read, the girls are stll living and it is still going on.

Satan lives in Convents, seminaries and monasteries.

Abeg take it easy!!!! Did anyone offend you today? Me shouting? Do you read with your ears? You made some outrageous claims against the catholic church.The questions I posed to you was to ascertain the veracity of those claims. Seeing you have no answers to my questions, its now obvious those claims are concoted.You don't go about making ridiculous claims that cannot be substantiated
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

Abeg take it easy!!!! Did anyone offend you today? Me shouting? Do you read with your ears? You made some outrageous claims against the catholic church.The questions I posed to you was to ascertain the veracity of those claims. Seeing you have no answers to my questions, its now obvious those claims are concoted.You don't go about making ridiculous claims that cannot be substantiated
I see you don't kbow that when you type with Higher Keys/ Caplocks it means shouting.

Like i said, i have no time for take you up on this, keep on with your Hellenistic pagan religion.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 2:07pm On Dec 21, 2017
Ubenedictus:

What are you even saying? Trying to defend what. Gay is different from sodomy? Don't be sentimental. He has been committing sin before he opened up
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by Prosper123: 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

He didn't make an outrageous claim; it is true. How can you tell a man not to marry in this generation and expect him to remain a celibate. Many of the Priests you see today are gays, or womanizers. I am talking from experience. One wanted to commit gay sex with me. Another confronted my friend. It normally starts from seminary schools. I passed seminary school, went there for interview. We slept over. That night was something else. After, I couldn't study there again. The Reverend father in my secondary school who was the manager was carrying women like water. The students even filmed him 'dealing with women'. All these are real among us. The truth must be told no matter who is involved
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 2:25pm On Dec 21, 2017
Prosper123:

He didn't make an outrageous claim; it is true. How can you tell a man not to marry in this generation and expect him to remain a celibate. Many of the Priests you see today are gays, or womanizers. I am talking from experience. One wanted to commit gay sex with me. Another confronted my friend. It normally starts from seminary schools. I passed seminary school, went there for interview. We slept over. That night was something else. After, I couldn't study there again. The Reverend father in my secondary school who was the manager was carrying women like water. The students even filmed him 'dealing with women'. All these are real among us. The truth must be told no matter who is involved
again stories no evidence.I am not saying we don't have bad priests.But one coming out to say it is institutionalized is ourageous.There is no priest who has a credible evidence of child molestation against him who is still in the priesthood.That claim is the most outrageous.

we also have gay and paedophilic Pentecostal pastors.It has nothing to do with heterosexual marriage.If they were attracted to women then you would have started talking about marriage as a solution.
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 2:26pm On Dec 21, 2017
analize701:

I see you don't kbow that when you type with Higher Keys/ Caplocks it means shouting.

Like i said, i have no time for take you up on this, keep on with your Hellenistic pagan religion.

the same paganistic and Hellenistic religion that gave you the bible!! poor you
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by PaChukwudi44(m): 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2017
Re: A Catholic Priest Comes Out As Gay Before His Congregation by analize701: 2:33pm On Dec 21, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

the same paganistic and Hellenistic religion that gave you the bible!! poor you
You gave me the Bible? How SAD.

Isn't it ironic that you claim to give us the Bible yet alienate it from your organization.

Here read...

Cases of child sexual abuse by Catholic priests, nuns and members of religious orders, and subsequent cover-ups, in the 20th and 21st centuries have led to numerous allegations, investigations, trials and convictions. The abused include boys and girls, some as young as 3 years old, with the majority between the ages of 11 and 14.[1][2][3][4] The accusations began to receive isolated, sporadic publicity in the late 1980s. Many of these involved cases in which a figure was accused of abuse for decades; such allegations were frequently made by adults or older youths years after the abuse occurred. Cases have also been brought against members of the Catholic hierarchy who covered up sex abuse allegations and moved abusive priests to other parishes where abuse continued.[5][6]

By the 1990s, the cases began to receive significant media and public attention in some countries, especially in Ireland, Canada, Australia, and the United States and were widespread by the 2000s. Members of the Church's hierarchy have argued that media coverage was excessive and disproportionate, and they have also argued that such abuse also takes place in other religions and institutions.[7] A series of television documentaries in the 1990s, such as "Suffer the children" (UTV, 1994), brought the issue to national attention in Ireland.[8] A critical investigation by The Boston Globe in 2002 led to widespread media coverage of the issue in the United States, which was later dramatized in Tom McCarthy's film Spotlight in 2015. By 2010, much of the reporting focused on abuse in Europe[9][10] and Australia.

From 2001 to 2010 the Holy See, the central governing body of the Catholic Church, considered sex abuse allegations involving about 3,000 priests dating back fifty years.[11] Cases reflect worldwide patterns of long-term abuse as well as the church hierarchy's pattern of regularly covering up reports of alleged abuse.[note 1] Diocesan officials and academics knowledgeable about the Roman Catholic Church say that sexual abuse by clergy is generally not discussed, and thus is difficult to measure.[12][13]

Some studies claim that priests in the Catholic Church may not be any more likely than other men to commit abuse.[11][14][15][16] In addition, the studies claim that the rate of abuse by priests had fallen sharply in the last twenty to thirty years, and that some 75% of the allegations in the United States were of abuse between 1960 and 1984.[11] However, the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse found that the average time it took between a victim of Catholic sexual abuse being abused and reporting it, or seeking redress, is 33 years.[17] For this reason there is insufficient data to be able to accurately ascertain current rates of child sex abuse, or to claim that abuse in the Catholic Church has fallen in recent decades. The Commission revealed 7% of Australian priests between 1950–2009 were accused of abusing children, and that one Catholic order had 40.4% of their non-ordained members with allegations against them in this period.[18][17]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Second Coming Of Jesus: Almost 2000 Years Late? / Rccg Set To Turn Colchester’s Old Theatre Into Church / Advice Atheists Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.