Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1170282 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (453) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 5:09am On Jan 23, 2018
mamatwiny:
I contacted Austin birthing center and their total cost is 4000$ for uncomplicated birth. Has anyone used a birthing center a d was able to renew visa?

Any ideas to save cost cos my ultimate goal is for my kid to have dual citizenship at a minimum cost.

Please if you have any interesting info, do pm.

Thanks

I have no personal experience...but here are 2 mamas that have used birthing centers from thread 5 page 289 and one said she renewed...this was some time ago though....

@olukemiyemi
@jordie

Note that a few mamas trying to renew visas said VOs rejected them based on "the cost is too low" for regular hospitals (not birthing centers)....so...as usual depends on the VO
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Jephehe: 5:45am On Jan 23, 2018
Gurus in the house,

@Justwise,

When filling the ds160 must I include the hospital information.

Kind response will be highly appreciated.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by dere5: 6:11am On Jan 23, 2018
ugoguchy:
i was that i didnt declare my intention during the interview,if you have read my thread on this page you will see my transcript when i got the visa,i was asked if i was pregnant and if i would give birth in the US which i said yes,so i was confused and the VO said nothing of that such was in my transcript,felt very bad and cried home...december last year went for the 2nd interview in abj again and was denied,same reason...
i came here and some people encouraged me to try again but this time to lagos and some said no need just give up,was really determined to try again,renewed my passport and applied for the 3rd time but to lagos(all these while i was applying for vacation,this time i applied for a medical visa straight up),applied for an emergency appt and it was approved after 3days (tension wan kill me),went for my interview by 6:30am,one of the CGI ladies saw my condition and fast tracked me...

Congratulations,I was actually looking out for your post.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MrsHappy: 6:12am On Jan 23, 2018
Please any September LA or NYC mom?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chinybelle(f): 7:40am On Jan 23, 2018
Thanks everyone.
We will just forward copies of scan reports so far to the Doc. Me I don't hv 20k to spare for now till visa has been issued.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 8:57am On Jan 23, 2018
If the airport is close you can go there if not keep calling till somebody picks
meadows:
Hello Fam, hope u all are doing great? Pls I need little assistance on how to add my LO ticket to mine, I don't know how to book for her ticket,should I go to d airport to link it up? Am using Airfrance, I tried calling their customer care today, but did not get any response cause they where all busy.. Pls help me ..thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MadameW: 9:50am On Jan 23, 2018
[quote author=ugoguchy post=64424527]i got previous visa in december 2014,went for vacation that december,had my baby in may 2015,and also oct 2016,sept 2017 i did a drop box for renewal in abj was called for an interview and was denied,reason was that i didnt declare my intention during the interview,if you have read my thread on this page you will see my transcript when i got the visa,i was asked if i was pregnant and if i would give birth in the US which i said yes,so i was confused and the VO said nothing of that such was in my transcript,felt very bad and cried home...december last year went for the 2nd interview in abj again and was denied,same reason...

i came here and some people encouraged me to try again but this time to lagos and some said no need just give up,was really determined to try again,renewed my passport and applied for the 3rd time but to lagos(all these while i was applying for vacation,this time i applied for a medical visa straight up),applied for an emergency appt and it was approved after 3days (tension wan kill me),went for my interview by 6:30am,one of the CGI ladies saw my condition and fast tracked me...

congrats.... waiting for Omodadi's favour report too
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by mayorkays: 10:02am On Jan 23, 2018
The web-page given to us for payment by the hospital (mercy medical maryland) can't be reached from Nigeria and my wife and I have called the hospital several time to explain our difficulties but to no avail.
1. Should I call the hospital and explain to them my plans of coming over there to pay
2. Is it possible that we might have been flagged by the hospital at the embassy within last year and now??
3. Can I apply at the embassy as tourist telling them am married but will be traveling alone and since my wife still have a valid visa we can both travel any other time we wish
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by mayorkays: 10:06am On Jan 23, 2018
ladeonas:

the first question is why cant call the hospital send some money to them, get a recent updated statement to show you have a payment plan with the hospital.
then apply

The web-page given to us for payment by the hospital (mercy medical maryland) can't be reached from Nigeria and my wife and I have called the hospital several time to explain our difficulties but to no avail.
1. Should I call the hospital and explain to them my plans of coming over there to pay
2. Is it possible that we might have been flagged by the hospital at the embassy within last year and now??
3. Can I apply at the embassy as tourist telling them am married but will be traveling alone and since my wife still have a valid visa we can both travel any other time we wish
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by okoji: 10:07am On Jan 23, 2018
mamaron:

3. In theory, your visa allows entry up to the day on the visa.

Why in theory? I will be going towards the end of expiry and will renew when i get back. I hope this won't pose as a problem.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 10:22am On Jan 23, 2018
okoji:

Why in theory? I will be going towards the end of expiry and will renew when i get back. I hope this won't pose as a problem.

It holds both in theory and practical.... Your visa grants you access to knock at the US door whether it's a day left of its validity or 1 year+11months+4wks, it's however up to CBP to open or lock you out. Worry more about CBP standards. My wife has at a time entered the US for VACATION purpose with just a day left on her visa without issues.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 10:29am On Jan 23, 2018
mayorkays:

The observation here from my POV ab initio is that the third question you asked now is actually your most likely thought out plan that you need validation for, and you have officially asked. Well, that route is twists and turns laden because of that remaining unpaid birthing bills by your wife and you, and can easily back fire too, do deep consideration before proceeding.

Find a way round it, the bill can be paid without you going to the US and most importantly before your interview, unless your mind is made on doing otherwise already sha....

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by okoji: 11:54am On Jan 23, 2018
OmoBendel24:

It holds both in theory and practical.... Your visa grants you access to knock at the US door whether it's a day left of its validity or 1 year+11months+4wks, it's however up to CBP to open or lock you out. Worry more about CBP standards. My wife has at a time entered the US for VACATION purpose with just a day left on her visa without issues.

Yeah, it's written on their website. Was just wondering if you had a negative experience because you said "in Theory".
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nalinisingh(f): 11:56am On Jan 23, 2018
Anybody with help concerning accommodation in Houston for late Feb to early May? Please help
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by freshdad: 12:06pm On Jan 23, 2018
Whether you go on tourist visa or not, as long as you state your marital status and your spouses' name gets into the column in that section, it automatically raises a red flag for them to ask for proof of payments. And if the hospital has notified them on the matter, and long thing.

a friend of mine has been trying to get a visa and he even had an interesting chat with one of his VOs during his second interview who somehow inclined at the fact that his wife's application was dishonest as she didn't state she was married and had a baby in the US and my friend filled both son and DW names in application. She has tried to reapply twice as they are expecting a baby and she's been denied.

However, peoples' cases are peculiar but i think as you've been advised, try and find a way of paying up before your interview and get updated receipts.

IMO

OmoBendel24:

The observation here from my POV ab initio is that the third question you asked now is actually your most likely thought out plan that you need validation for, and you have officially asked. Well, that route is twists and turns laden because of that remaining unpaid birthing bills by your wife and you, and can easily back fire too, do deep consideration before proceeding.

Find a way round it, the bill can be paid without you going to the US and most importantly before your interview, unless your mind is made on doing otherwise already sha....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
Have you tried paying over the phone?
If no then try it.
mayorkays:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 1:10pm On Jan 23, 2018
Air bnb ,and long stay hotels
Nalinisingh:
Anybody with help concerning accommodation in Houston for late Feb to early May? Please help
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Budding: 1:51pm On Jan 23, 2018
vo;goes thru it asks for banks statements
me: gave him my wells fargo,hubbys acct stat,shares acct too
vo:asks for previous receipt
me; gave him(he went thru all these documents thoroughly)
,he typed for a while and says pick up your passport ......and always travel with your recipts...as i stepped out was walking on the air,i really thank God...[/quote]

Woww...so happy for you..Congrats...Persistence

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Viola2017: 2:24pm On Jan 23, 2018
Hi house,

This is Viola once again, just like i earlier stated, i got B1B2 visa in sept 2017 later took in oct.2017. I brought the issue here, though DH also was seeking answers both on and offline. He came back one day and we both decided to try again by redeclaring our intent. We paid and booked for interview for today.
Below is the transcript:

VO: good morning and how are you today

Me: morning, fine thank you.

VO: what are you here for, then opened my passport and
saw that i already have 1yr8months valid visa.
Me: i became pregnant after i was issued the visa so i'm
here to redeclare my intent. I now want to have my
baby in the US.
VO: wait a minute, then went inside with my passport
For about 3mins. Then came back, "show me proof
Of how you will fund the trip"
Me: handed over doctors correspondence(which she didn't check), account statement(gtb $ acc, Fidelity naira
acc and DH's office cooperative acc).
VO: stated calmy; you dont have enough money for this
trip, based on what is stated here.
Me: i then looked and saw that she was refering to 1st
amount in the front page of DH's fidelity bank
statement. Ma'am please get to the last page you'll
see the closing balance of over xxxx plus another $xxxx in
GTB dom acc.
VO: okay great, stop being nervous, just calm down.
Me: thanks ma'am with a pleasant smile.
VO: where in the US are you going?
Me: California
VO: how did you get to know of the hospital
Me: from my aunt and other online reviews
VO: where does ur hubby work, howmuch does he earn
and how much do you earn
Me: i told her and wanted to bring out DHs payslip but
she asked me not to.
VO: there are 2 ways to this, i can allow u go with the
valid visa because u came back to redeclare ur intent
which I have updated in your profile or I can cancel
it and issue you another one, so chose.
Me: cancel without prejudice and issue me another visa
VO: okay, now listening carefully, pay all your bill and
stay clear of medicaid. Donot claim to be a
Californian, always let them know you are from nig.
Congrats xxxxxxxxxx
Me: thank you.

Thanks house for all the suggestions and please ignore any typo noticed cos I DON TIRE, LO IS KICKING BADLY INSIDE ME THIS HOT AFTERNOON.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Dior09: 4:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
okoji:

You don't pay for doctors report. I didn't pay for mine.

It all depends on the hospital. My hospital collected 5k. A lady I met here said Lagoon was requesting 30k so she declined. Most private hospitals in Nigeria collect money for doctor's report. It's the price that varies. If your hospital didn't ask for any payment, you're lucky.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MoNiyi16(f): 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2018
Brownshoogah:
Compliments of the season.
Please can any LA mom help me with Mr Fred's contact.
Thank you.

Hello mums, please can any LA mom help with Mr Fred's contact. I'm travelling to LA next month but I'm yet to find accommodation. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MoNiyi16(f): 6:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
MoNiyi16:

Hello mums, please can any LA mom help with Mr Fred's contact. I'm travelling to LA next month but I'm yet to find accommodation. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

@brownshooga Wow! Thank you so much for your quick response. I really appreciate it.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
Viola2017:
Hi house,
This is Viola once again, just like i earlier stated, i got B1B2 visa in sept 2017 later took in oct.2017. I brought the issue here, though DH also was seeking answers...xxxxx we both decided to try again by redeclaring our intent. We paid and booked for interview for today...xxxxx
VO: what are you here for, then opened my passport and
saw that i already have 1yr8months valid visa.
Me: i became pregnant after i was issued the visa so i'm
here to redeclare my intent. I now want to have my
baby in the US...xxxxx
VO: there are 2 ways to this, i can allow u go with the
valid visa because u came back to redeclare ur intent
which I have updated in your profile or I can cancel
it and issue you another one, so chose.
Me: cancel without prejudice and issue me another visa
VO: okay, now listening carefully, pay all your bill and
stay clear of medicaid. Donot claim to be a
Californian, always let them know you are from nig.
Congrats

Well done Viola2017....congratulations!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by dere5: 7:09pm On Jan 23, 2018
Viola2017:
Hi house,
This is Viola once again, just like i earlier stated, i got B1B2 visa in sept 2017 later took in oct.2017. I brought the issue here, though DH also was seeking answers both on and offline. He came back one day and we both decided to try again by redeclaring our intent. We paid and booked for interview for today.
Below is the transcript:

Congratulations! That was a very bold step you took o. Thank God it paid off.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by temyb: 7:38pm On Jan 23, 2018
It is well. Just apply for charity organisations. A friend had a similar story with her twin boys and the bill was higher but it's been cleared with the help of a charity organisation aid not medic aid
Even when I had a similar experience.
Supernaturalone:
I arrived Texas on 24 Nov (shared my POE experience at the time). Had my first appointment with Dr Fagbohun on Tuesday, 28 Nov. I was scheduled for level II ultrasound and some additional tests (no additional payment for these). Dr Fagbohun has 3 different locations, so I ended up visiting the 3 locations depending on what day my weekly appointments were scheduled for and which location he was meant to be. I registered at Oakbend on 04 Dec after my level II ultrasound and paid $3950 for CS.

Dr F scheduled my CS for Friday, 22 Dec and was asked to come in on Friday morning for prepping. My baby girI subsequently arrived at 3.21pm. My husband was around for the delivery as well as my 2 other kids and had to travel back a few days after. On Saturday evening, it was discovered that she had jaundice so she had to be moved to the NICU for phototherapy. I was meant to be discharged on Sunday, but when the Dr realized my baby was still on admission, she asked me to stay till Monday. My baby was discharged on Monday, 25 Dec after the Dr from Sunrise (Pediatrician) said the bili (jaundice) level had dropped. Good experience overall at Oakbend. Before I left, I paid Sunrise bill (the account person usually comes around). They usually charge $280 for 1st day and $200 for subsequent days and give 20% discount; so I should have paid $544 but because my baby was in NICU, my total bill came to $2224 after 20% discount. They charge $1500 for 1st day and $500 for subsequent days. Got zero balance letter in the hospital. I was asked, which Pediatrician I was using for follow up visits. I was given a list of pediatricians in the area but I really had no basis for selecting at random and there was none particularly close to my residence. As I didn’t know any other, I decided to continue with Sunrise. I think Sunrise are pricey though. I paid $125 for the first visit (4 days after discharge) $100 for 2nd visit (2 week check) the 3rd visit (one month) would cost me $150 if I go. If I had known, I would have looked for a cheaper option, as my baby was not even seen by the Dr on both visits at Sugarland location but by some other medical person. Newborn screening is done before you leave the hospital and a subsequent one ordered at the 2-week visit, which required blood work to be done and I had to go back to the hospital; got this done at West Houston because Oakbend was pricey i.e. $100+ vs $30 or so.

For my baby purchases, I did most of it on Amazon, which worked well for me. I did not have the energy to start going around stores, so online shopping for me. I set up a registry and put all my items in there. Amazon gives you a 10% discount on all items in the registry. For prime members, you get 15%. When it comes to most baby gear, I usually find Amazon prices to be very competitive – car seat, stroller, breast pump, name it. I also bought diapers and wipes, for which you get 20% off diaper prices and 15% off wipes, through their subscribe and save program – best deals I’ve seen on huggies.

I completed paperwork for birth certificate before I left on 25 Dec and picked up birth certificate from Fort Bend County on Friday, 29 Dec - $23 per copy (they don’t accept checks and will charge a small fee if you pay with card). I received SSN the following week. Booked appointment online for US passport at the Agency for 08 Jan. My husband was around for that so no need for consent letter. He picked up the next day. Expedited costs $165 in all – they accept most forms of payment. I had to retake my baby’s passport photo at the agency because the one I took at Walgreens was not accepted. I don’t understand

After discharge, I paid for the Anesthesia bill over the phone ($1500) and also Brown & Associates ($143). I’ve got zero balance letters from Oakbend, Dr F and US Anesthesia. Just realized now that I don’t have anything from B&A yet, will have to chase up on that.

Now, to a big issue I experienced here. At my baby’s first follow up visit, on Fri 29 Dec, the medical person ordered blood work to be done to check the jaundice level again. I went to Oakbend and had to pay $111 just for blood work! Anyway, the Dr called me that Friday night to say the jaundice level had spiked again and I had to take her to ER at Texas Children’s Hospital that night. So I bundled her and my sister and her husband took us to Texas Children’s at Katy. They ran another test on her and said it had gone up again within those few hours and said they would have to move her to their main campus at the medical center. That’s how they got an ambulance and hooked up my little girl and took us to main campus where she was admitted to NICU IV and under phototherapy treatment. I was going to visit her daily as could not stay in the hospital. Thankfully she responded well and the Drs there said they had to keep her until the levels come very low, so it won’t rebound. She was discharged on 01 January. After discharge, I started calling for the bill but the hospital said it will take some time to finalise. I have now been advised of a bill of $2k+ for Dr and $16k+ for the hospital. We are still speaking plenty English till now! But I’m trusting God for favour all the way as this can naturally destabilize a person. I’m scheduled to travel back to Lagos next week.

So this is my missionary story! The Bible says in everything, give thanks. I thank God we are alive and well and it will all end in greater praise.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by oluwafunkenny: 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
@ temyb, l beg to disagree to your decision of obtaining charity organisations aid. AID is AID whatever in it's form. This will be in her record that she couldn't pay her bill and as a result requested for assistance. The bill is very high fine but using aid to clear it might be more dangerous. My view anyway...... Gurus can shed more light.

temyb:
It is well. Just apply for charity organisations. A friend had a similar story with her twin boys and the bill was higher but it's been cleared with the help of a charity organisation aid not medic aid
Even when I had a similar experience.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 7:57pm On Jan 23, 2018
oluwafunkenny:
@ temyb, l beg to disagree to your decision of obtaining charity organisations aid. AID is AID whatever in it's form. This will be in her record that she couldn't pay her bill and as a result requested for assistance. The bill is very high fine but using aid to clear it might be more dangerous. My view anyway...... Gurus can shed more light.

Did you follow TemyB's case when it happened? That rocked the Birthing Thread to its very foundation then.... I understand your point of view though, but I know she's talking from her experience.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MamaOO: 8:53pm On Jan 23, 2018
ladeonas:

the first question is why cant call the hospital send some money to them, get a recent updated statement to show you have a payment plan with the hospital.
then apply
I hope the hospital hasn't passed the bill to MEdicaid already. Cos they are always quick to do that.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Latestreleasevi: 9:30pm On Jan 23, 2018
Pls I want to ask, does anyone know the procedure for Ethiopia airline Fit to fly? I saw on their website that you only need a fit to fly if you are above 28weeks,but called their Lagos office just to inquire about what they wrote online, only to be told that I have to go to their VI office for their Dr to conduct his own test and pay N10,000 before they can issue me their fit to fly. And am not up to 28weeks. Pls who has experience abt this? Pls I need an urgent reply pls. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by dialinn: 9:53pm On Jan 23, 2018
Hello people, happy new year. Just to find out if anybody has used Texas Health Presbyterian hospital in Plano TX before? If yes, Will appreciate to have details for vd and cs. Thanks a lot.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ladeonas: 11:34pm On Jan 23, 2018
mayorkays:

1. Yes, if possible get that correspondence via email
2. Months is enough
3. Thats a personal decision

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (453) (Reply)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.