Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,534 members, 7,827,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (304) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1169390 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 16, 2019
TripleKMama:

interesting. Just hearing about this for the first time - so you can apply for visa even before the current one expires? Issa wawu sometin. grin

Yes ma grin

They stamp the previous one cancelled without prejudice and reissue a new one ...if approved.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 12:06pm On May 16, 2019
OmoBendel24:
Seems there's a new development now, namely; wait time (between one B1/B2 visa refusal and application for another of same category) adjustment from 6 to 12 months in the offing maybe, and a dichotomy in the dates allocated to applicants for renewal and those for normal applications. Dunno exactly, just speculating on what/where the attached image may just be headed....

N.B// This is for Abuja as of about now

May likely be for administrative purposes only.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 16, 2019
OmoBendel24:
Seems there's a new development now, namely; wait time (between one B1/B2 visa refusal and application for another of same category) adjustment from 6 to 12 months in the offing maybe, and a dichotomy in the dates allocated to applicants for renewal and those for normal applications. Dunno exactly, just speculating on what/where the attached image may just be headed....

N.B// This is for Abuja as of about now

Very interesting......IMHO this is a change in immigration policy with no big or loud announcements.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 16, 2019
MamaOO:

Lagos to Newcastle is good sis. That’s about 7 hits give or take. LOS - IAH is around 13-14 hours. Why?
Because of work now they must go and they handsomely paid so why won’t they go and they fly business and even BA no matter so the flight is a convenient one, if I were in their shoes I will go too
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 16, 2019
TWoods:

Birthing is just as expensive in the US. The $5500 costs quoted here are heavily subsidized, which is why the VOs are now cracking down.
Yes heavily subsidized and the VO’s don’t understand but at least that’s the last and final payment according to the hospital and they give itemized receipts to that effect.
Ordinary ultrasound scan in the UK wanted to run me mad , the quote was over a hundred pounds in a city that isn’t even London , in central London I heard it’s close to £300 or 250 and I’m wondering whattttttt

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 12:16pm On May 16, 2019
Mamaroon:

Very interesting......IMHO this is a change in immigration policy with no big or loud announcements......I wonder what will happen at interview if an applicant with a recent denial doesn't click yes undecided

I think that’s pretty easy. Material misrepresentation = visa denial.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 12:19pm On May 16, 2019
chloe00:

Yes heavily subsidized and the VO’s don’t understand but at least that’s the last and final payment according to the hospital and they give itemized receipts to that effect.
Ordinary ultrasound scan in the UK wanted to run me mad , the quote was over a hundred pounds in a city that isn’t even London , in central London I heard it’s close to £300 or 250 and I’m wondering whattttttt

The VOs understand. I recall the first time I saw the quotes here, I was in shock. If prices were that low for the average American, no one would take insurance for maternity purposes. Compared to the insurance premiums you have to pay to cover a delivery, it would make more sense to pay cash. While that is the final receipt by the hospital, it’s not the final receipt for the American tax payer who still has to fork out for the cost of your “discount”.

Medical bills are the #1 cause of bankruptcy in the United States so it’s surprising that Nigerians are able to birth almost for free.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by jossy404: 2:04pm On May 16, 2019
Is it only me that noticed that all our friends that has long been away ..........just suddenly come online again after the Dropbox stoppage....... because it seems to be a good news for them..........just my humble observation..... grin

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 2:22pm On May 16, 2019
jossy404:
Is it only me that noticed that all our friends that has long been away ..........just suddenly come online again after the Dropbox stoppage....... because it seems to be a good news for them..........just my humble observation..... grin

The Dropbox news was May 15th, I’ve been back here for a few days prior to that. Not everything is a conspiracy. If Nigerians simply followed the rules, this won’t even be a topic for discussion.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 16, 2019
cool
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by jossy404: 4:24pm On May 16, 2019
Awwww cheesy........... i didn't mention name anyway...........All the same welcome back......i missed you!!!!

TWoods:

The Dropbox news was May 15th, I’ve been back here for a few days prior to that. Not everything is a conspiracy. If Nigerians simply followed the rules, this won’t even be a topic for discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by dere5: 6:55pm On May 16, 2019
TWoods:

Tkpako! We missed you. I like the new you. Is it me or the new Twood is a calmer person?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by jossy404: 7:29pm On May 16, 2019
Lolzzxxx......

dere5:

Tkpako! We missed you. I like the new you. Is it me or the new Twood is a calmer person?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by dere5: 6:16am On May 17, 2019
Pls I need help with this. I dropped my passport when DHL for Dropbox renewal since on the 10/3/19 and the below attachment is what I see when I log into my profile for updates.can someone pls explain to me what this means cause I don't get the meaning

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 11:23am On May 17, 2019
dere5:
Pls I need help with this. I dropped my passport when DHL for Dropbox renewal since on the 10/3/19 and the below attachment is what I see when I log into my profile for updates.can someone pls explain to me what this means cause I don't get the meaning
Those that submitted before the Dropbox ish stopped aren’t affected you’ll receive your passport in due time according to the news , to know thr exact progress track with your ds160 number on the ceac website
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 17, 2019
Hello,

I have 2 itemized bills that have to original bill amount before discount without any mention of the amount I paid.

For eg, I paid 1500 for anesthesia but my itemized bill shows 4000. If I am asked how much is the medical, should i mention the discounted amount or the amount stated in the itemized bill?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Anonymousdonor: 7:42am On May 18, 2019
Hey guys.
Any recent Atlanta experience??
POE? Doctors etc.
Please share.
I'm looking at using atlanta medical.
Does anyone have any affordable doctors contact there?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Anonymousdonor: 7:45am On May 18, 2019
What does your receipt say
zikavonne:
Hello,

I have 2 itemized bills that have to original bill amount before discount without any mention of the amount I paid.

For eg, I paid 1500 for anesthesia but my itemized bill shows 4000. If I am asked how much is the medical, should i mention the discounted amount or the amount stated in the itemized bill?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kayjay23: 12:35pm On May 18, 2019
Sabi mama's and Pappas I greet you all.

Please has anyone recently renewed their child's US passport in Nigeria. If yes, what was the process like ie seamless or otherwise?

I have read about the requirements ie the form, photos etc but I just want to know if it's worth renewing here in naija or whether I should travel to the US to renew it before it expires.

Many thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by TWoods(m): 2:03pm On May 18, 2019
zikavonne:
Hello,

Mentioning that you paid the full amount is simply lying for an immigration benefit.

Thanks by the way for sticking the US tax payer with the bill for your “discount”. No surprise why insurance premiums rise by an average of 30% every year... but so long as you got your “free” service...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Deyonsesi: 2:42pm On May 18, 2019
Kayjay23:
Sabi mama's and Pappas I greet you all.

Please has anyone recently renewed their child's US passport in Nigeria. If yes, what was the process like ie seamless or otherwise?

I have read about the requirements ie the form, photos etc but I just want to know if it's worth renewing here in naija or whether I should travel to the US to renew it before it expires.

Many thanks in advance.

No stress, except you have to wait for 2weeks b4 it arrives.

Hope you have yearly pictures of your LO.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 18, 2019
I don't have receipts for them. It was part of the mai hospital bill. Was only given itemized bills

Anonymousdonor:
What does your receipt say
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 18, 2019
I paid all the bills given to me. I just received the itemized statements like that. So to correct your view, I did not get any free service.

And no I'm not interested in immigrating. I earn so well here so why would I want to leave?

Birthing in US is for my kids future and because I can afford it.

TWoods:

Mentioning that you paid the full amount is simply lying for an immigration benefit.

Thanks by the way for sticking the US tax payer with the bill for your “discount”. No surprise why insurance premiums rise by an average of 30% every year... but so long as you got your “free” service...

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Tiyanya: 8:01pm On May 18, 2019
Hi everyone, biko, when they say one should provide travel itinery for expedited US passport e g return ticket is it my travel itinery or baby's? I have an appointment next week just wanted to be sure it's my return ticket they were referring to and not baby's cos I am yet to buy baby's ticket...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Anonymousdonor: 8:03pm On May 18, 2019
If none of your documents bear the discount, I think you should say what's on the paper, so you can be consistent.
Meanwhile, how did you get them not to add the discount to your bill.
zikavonne:
I paid all the bills given to me. I just received the itemized statements like that. So to correct your view, I did not get any free service.

And no I'm not interested in immigrating. I earn so well here so why would I want to leave?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 18, 2019
TWoods:

Obviously one shouldn't claim to have paid what they didn't but may I please differ to the statement in bold.

Although a large percentage of Nigerians may cut corners, I believe a significant percentage of women who had babies in the U.S. and are unable to renew their visas are just victims of a stricter immigration policy that aims to limit the number of Nigerians permitted into the U.S...(which by the way is fine)

The discount rationale given by VOs is IMO misunderstood ..... what I believe they are saying is ....how can you pay $5k to have a baby...NOT how can you get a discount...the issue is absolute amount paid and not the fact that a discount was received.

While ladies who paid $5k may have inadvertently benefited from something they maybe shouldn't have benefited from (even though in some cases they were very explicit with the hospitals that they are from overseas....story for another day), these discounts will never disappear.

Let me illustrate using an example. I paid in advance (not Texas and above the NL norm) and got a receipt....after I had my baby and requested for the break down of services, a mysterious discount still appeared. I wasn't owing but they had an initial bill x and discount y and final cost z....z is what I had being informed of several months prior when i prepaid. So where is the y coming from? Why couldn't my bill just have itemized services that add up to what I was charged a priori?

I reckon the US medical billing system is opaque and intentionally so....

However for a VO.......or anyone else for that matter to accuse people of intentionally gaming the system by accepting a discount is frankly disingenuous...One of the hospitals in New England....Brigham & Women...WORLD RENOWNED and superior to the hospital I eventually used at least on the OBGYN ratings (anyone who knows anything about Obs and Gynae in the US knows that they are the best) and even they have a 25% discount....Would you also refer to this as tax payers' money?

..... the health and medical industry in the U.S. is not and has never been transparent.

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Reine22: 8:30pm On May 18, 2019
If you paid, you should have receipts...

zikavonne:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by sheilchi(f): 9:10pm On May 18, 2019
Please has anyone who gave birth at HENRICO doctors hospital been able to renew their visa?

My husband was denied after a 221g , am so scared.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ibukunpops(f): 10:56pm On May 18, 2019
Please can you shed more light on having yearly pictures of LO

Thanx

Deyonsesi:

No stress, except you have to wait for 2weeks b4 it arrives.

Hope you have yearly pictures of your LO.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Hopesprings: 2:45am On May 19, 2019
Mamaroon:

Obviously one shouldn't claim to have paid what they didn't but may I please refer to the statement in bold.

Although a large percentage of Nigerians may cut corners, I believe a significant percentage of women who had babies in the U.S. and are unable to renew their visas are just victims of a stricter immigration policy that aims to limit the number of Nigerias permitted into the U.S...(which by the way is fine...sebi it's their country)....perhaps because of the large percentage of "overstayers".

The discount rationale given by VOs is IMO misunderstood ..... what I believe they are saying is ....how can you pay $5k to have a baby...NOT how can you get a discount...the issue is absolute amount paid and not the fact that a discount was received. While ladies who paid $5k may have inadvertently benefited from something they maybe shouldn't have benefited from (even though in some cases they were very explicit with the hospitals that they are from overseas....story for another day), these discounts will never disappear.

Let me illustrate using an example. I ended up having my baby in NY and paid a fair bit even by the standards of a US resident...it was multiples higher than what Texas mothers from Nigeria pay. I have said here before that even though it's a renowned hospital with an established international patients' office and I paid in advance and got a receipt. After I had my baby and requested for the break down of services, a mysterious discount still appeared. I wasn't owing but they had an initial bill x and discount y and final cost z....z is what I had being informed of months prior when i prepaid. So where is the y coming from? Why couldn't my bill just have itemized services that add up to what I was charged a priori?

I reckon the US medical billing system is opaque and intentionally so....

However for a VO.......or anyone else for that matter to accuse people of intentionally gaming the system by accepting a discount is frankly disingenuous...I attach a copy of one of the hospitals in New England that I got a quote from but didn't use. WORLD RENOWNED and superior to the NY hospital I eventually used at least on the OBGYN ratings..anyone who knows anything about Obs and Gynae in the US knows that they are the best and even they have a 25% discount....Would you also refer to this as tax payers' money?

It just irks me to see people referred to as fraudsters when, as a resident, you would be expected to know that the health and medical industry in the U.S. is not and has never been transparent.

Thank you SO much for this post! This idea that discounted prices infer some kind of government subsidy is erroneous to say the least! And while the Embassy is well within its rights to highlight any criteria it sees for visa issuance, the truth remains the truth. Prompt pay discounts have absolutely nothing to do with any ones taxes. These hospitals offer these incentives to minimize their billing cycles and the potential losses from having to chase money after service delivery. I wonder why no one challenges the cash pay pricing given by the OB, Anesthesiologist, Pediatrician, even the Labs have discounts for people who pay cash upfront. This is not a foreign concept! Theres no denying that so many Nigerians have taken advantage of programs specifically geared towards the under served in certain communities but this is purely a case of painting with a broad brush.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Deyonsesi: 8:49am On May 19, 2019
ibukunpops:
Please can you shed more light on having yearly pictures of LO

Thanx

The Officer asked for growing up pictures of my LO for each year up to d point of renewal. We had them printed already, some wit his siblings and us too.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by customised87: 9:57am On May 19, 2019
Deyonsesi:

The Officer asked for growing up pictures of my LO for each year up to d point of renewal. We had them printed already, some wit his siblings and us too.

Please do they ask for birth receipts and discounts on the receipts at the point of renewal too?

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (452) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.