Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1167571 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 7:30pm On Jan 27, 2018
You did the right thing by applying for medical visa.
As for the money thing transferring very large amount of monies into the account you will be going with will raise a red flag. It will look like you just borrowed money the money for the purpose.
But if you have all the documents to prove it then go ahead but what if you are not given the space to explain.
For collecting your FIL statements will outrightly mean You can't fund the trip.
Remember to go with documents to show that you just liquidated your investment account too.

All the above are my own opinion.
I stand to be corrected anytime.
daxx:
Hello everyone. I had my interview recently and I was denied. The VO assumed we didn’t have enough funds to cover the trip as DH transferred the money to my account. ( I used my salary account statement which showed my then salary of 186k. I say then because it is now slightly above 200k.) She also didn’t bother to look at my money market statement which also had some funds in it. I want to reapply but I want to clarify a few things.

1. I transferred the money back to DH’s account as I want to carry his statement in addition to mine this time around. We will also be liquidating our fixed deposit and investment accounts to show we can cover the expenses. Would this put us in a better position?

2. My father in law has also offered to give me his boa statement and his dom acct statement as neither I nor DH have any. Is it wise to take up this offer or will it spoil my chances?

Everybody seems to be blaming me for telling the truth and applying for a medical visa as they believed I would have gotten the visa if I had said I was only visiting because I don’t have an obvious belly.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ugoguchy(f): 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2018
Everybody seems to be blaming me for telling the truth and applying for a medical visa as they believed I would have gotten the visa if I had said I was only visiting because I don’t have an obvious belly.[/quote]

you did the right yhing by applying for a medical visa,i did that and i got my visa approved so is not the issue,
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ozycy: 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2018
feddy27:

Hey mama, baby on the way? My love to Sophie kiss
Hello Feddy, no baby on the way ooo grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2018
mamaron:

Below is the link for requirements for nannies/domestic staff to guide you.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-typedomesticemployee.asp

As @sugah said the employement contract is super important. Esp the minimum wage requirements for the specific state you'll be visiting and the other terms that they want to see in the employment contract as listed in the link above.

She should be aware of the details of the employment contract.

Thanks for your time. I have an employment contract with her and pay her 35k/ month. Will just have to adjust to say that whenever we travel out of the country she will be paid the minimum rate of the place we visit. Is that ok? God bless u
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ibukunpops(f): 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2018
Applying for the medical Visa is the right thing.

Its a Big No No for me to use your Father In Law's statement.

All the best in your next application.

daxx:
Hello everyone. I had my interview recently and I was denied. The VO assumed we didn’t have enough funds to cover the trip as DH transferred the money to my account. ( I used my salary account statement which showed my then salary of 186k. I say then because it is now slightly above 200k.) She also didn’t bother to look at my money market statement which also had some funds in it. I want to reapply but I want to clarify a few things.

1. I transferred the money back to DH’s account as I want to carry his statement in addition to mine this time around. We will also be liquidating our fixed deposit and investment accounts to show we can cover the expenses. Would this put us in a better position?

2. My father in law has also offered to give me his boa statement and his dom acct statement as neither I nor DH have any. Is it wise to take up this offer or will it spoil my chances?

Everybody seems to be blaming me for telling the truth and applying for a medical visa as they believed I would have gotten the visa if I had said I was only visiting because I don’t have an obvious belly.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 8:27pm On Jan 27, 2018
sugah:

I wasn't travelling for childbirth but for a training.

I actually got my visa via drop box. So it isn’t like I declared childbirth as I wasn’t even close to being pregnant then. So should I still send the childbirth documents? Kinda confused about it. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 8:28pm On Jan 27, 2018
Omodadi2:

My introduction letter from the office
Payslips
Bank Account Statements
Doctors correspondence
Budget sheet

I didn't not put the contract letter but they have asked us to bring it.

Thanks and I wish u the best with your visa.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by sugah: 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2018
anunimorigba:

I actually got my visa via drop box. So it isn’t like I declared childbirth as I wasn’t even close to being pregnant then. So should I still send the childbirth documents? Kinda confused about it. Thanks
Hmmmmm this is dicey.
But I'd say give her all documents that you think would help her get the visa. Your visa page and her employment contract being the most important.
Since you got the visa prior to getting pregnant, if I were you I'd use this opportunity to set things right. Use your cover letter to explain this and include your doctors correspondence, payment receipts, accommodation arrangements etc. For good measure, include your scan results showing LMP and due date so they know you got pregnant after your visa issuance.
...This is my own opinion but others might have differing ideas.

anunimorigba:

Thanks for your time. I have an employment contract with her and pay her 35k/ month. Will just have to adjust to say that whenever we travel out of the country she will be paid the minimum rate of the place we visit. Is that ok? God bless u

@bolded, are you actually going to pay minimum rate (you should check minimum wage first o, that 35k might be a days wage.) or just including that in your contract? I don't think there's any need to misrepresent...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 27, 2018
anunimorigba:

Sorry to sound like a broken record. Pls check the link carefully. If it was me, I would get a separate contract for the U.S. trip....You would also need to state the exact amount of the minimum wage (there is a link there with the min wages for the different states)...i think the lowest is about $7.25....there are also details in the requirements about max working hours and overtime pay.

They do this to prevent human trafficking and slave labour.

Pls ensure you indicate all the points on the site on the contract otherwise there may be delays..... she may be sent back....not denied....but told to return again with a comprehensive contract......at least this is what happened to a nanny I know in 2015.

You should also be prepared to pay this minimum wage and meet the other conditions in the contract....not just write it...but actually do it! It is not a cheap venture!!!!

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MommaT: 10:21pm On Jan 27, 2018
You did the right thing, better safe than sorry, the truth will eventually be obvious at POE and you don't want stories.
Father in law offer is a no-no except he is the sponsor.
I think the issue was with the transfer, lump sum is always a red flag. You need to explain at your next appointment but make it simple.
I think liquidating your FD and investments makes it simple for them to understand the funds are available.

daxx:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MadameW: 11:14pm On Jan 27, 2018
Hi, you did the right thing by declaring that you’re pregnant, however I don’t think it’s a good choice to accept FIL’s bank statements...it might raise red flags.

I got my visa recently and DH is my sponsor as well. I went with both our bank statements and he had previously transferred the funds I need to my account, but what I did was to highlight those transfers in both statements and told the VO hubby had transferred the funds I need to me earlier without the VO asking. He took his time to check the corresponding names in the highlighted transfers. Then I also went with a sponsorship letter from DH where he had also specified that the funds have been transferred to me earlier and I made sure the VO saw the letter.

Wish you the very best in your next interview.

][quote author=daxx post=64563162]Hello everyone. I had my interview recently and I was denied. The VO assumed we didn’t have enough funds to cover the trip as DH transferred the money to my account. ( I used my salary account statement which showed my then salary of 186k. I say then because it is now slightly above 200k.) She also didn’t bother to look at my money market statement which also had some funds in it.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 11:38pm On Jan 27, 2018
sugah:

Hmmmmm this is dicey.
But I'd say give her all documents that you think would help her get the visa. Your visa page and her employment contract being the most important.
Since you got the visa prior to getting pregnant, if I were you I'd use this opportunity to set things right. Use your cover letter to explain this and include your doctors correspondence, payment receipts, accommodation arrangements etc. For good measure, include your scan results showing LMP and due date so they know you got pregnant after your visa issuance.
...This is my own opinion but others might have differing ideas.

@bolded, are you actually going to pay minimum rate (you should check minimum wage first o, that 35k might be a days wage.) or just including that in your contract? I don't think there's any need to misrepresent...

I got the visa about 8 months prior to pregnancy: I believe that's abundantly clear it's after my renewal. Though I have no issues giving her all the documents as am using same doctor n hospital I used for my last child.

On minimum wage, it's a dicey one. I am going to LA n the minimum wage per hour is about $12-15. My intention was to pay double her basic salary: but even at that it is still way below the minimum rate. The monthly rate is about $3500. Pls did u pay anything in that range to your nanny? How did you go about it, that is, if u don't mind sharing?
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nalinisingh(f): 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
daxx:
Hello everyone. I had my interview recently and I was denied. The VO assumed we didn’t have enough funds to cover the trip as DH transferred the money to my account. ( I used my salary account statement which showed my then salary of 186k. I say then because it is now slightly above 200k.)

v

As per my own experience last week, I think it’s not just the funds you have in your account presently that matters. Hubby really didn’t have what will cover 50% of bills in his account as at print out but we took along other documents that showed that by end of the month what will enter his account will more than cover. Also took along Cooperative statement and pension statements. So when the boys asked for statement of account we handed over everything. He only looked at payslips and the other documents, but flipped through 3 pages of bank statement.

Maybe it also helped that we were in Europe twice last year I don’t know.

I also declared am going there to have a baby and he only asked for doctor’s correspondence.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2018
mamaron:

Sorry to sound like a broken record. Pls check the link carefully. If it was me, I would get a separate contract for the U.S. trip....You would also need to state the exact amount of the minimum wage (there is a link there with the min wages for the different states)...i think the lowest is about $7.25....there are also details in the requirements about max working hours and overtime pay.

They do this to prevent human trafficking and slave labour.

Pls ensure you indicate all the points on the site on the contract otherwise there may be delays..... she may be sent back....not denied....but told to return again with a comprehensive contract......at least this is what happened to a nanny I know in 2015.

You should also be prepared to pay this minimum wage and meet the other conditions in the contract....not just write it...but actually do it! It is not a cheap venture!!!!

I have gone through the link carefully. Yes, they actually want a new contract for the trip to States. Not to sound ungrateful for your input, but just being realistic: is there anyone that actually takes a domestic staff from Nigeria and pays them N1M+ per month? I actually don't pay her myself anymore as I got her employed to my company after 6 months of being with me. 35k is her basic salary, her total is about 52k or so. I was going to supplement with extra 35k/month personally- but truth is, that's still way below the minimum wage.

I will see how it goes but definitely come and share whatever the outcome is here, if I still decide to take her. She is already looking forward to going but if it will pose a problem I would rather ditch it, abeg!

Thanks a lot for your immense input, truly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 12:21am On Jan 28, 2018
daxx:

You definitely did the right thing. You might have gotten the visa if u didn't declare your intention but u could have been sent back at POE of it could affect your renewal!

My experience with honesty was on my last missionary journey. It wasn't obvious I was pregnant and had been stamped in for vacation but I corrected the CBP officer that I was also there for childbirth. My sister went same time with me as our edd was just 2 weeks apart. She didn't declare she was pregnant. We used same hospital, doctor, and all but she was called for an interview for her renewal but I wasn't!

I personally, don't think you should liquidate anything yet. Just make it clear u can have access to them asap if needed. I also wished u didn't transfer back the money but went back with your statement as it is but still supporting with your DH's statement of account. Have a budget sheet showing what you need and make sure it corresponds with your funds. Your FIL's account is a no no. Just look for a hospital that tallies with your funds.

Wish you all the best in your next application.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 28, 2018
anunimorigba:

I have gone through the link carefully. Yes, they actually want a new contract for the trip to States. Not to sound ungrateful for your input, but just being realistic: is there anyone that actually takes a domestic staff from Nigeria and pays them N1M+ per month? I actually don't pay her myself anymore as I got her employed to my company after 6 months of being with me. 35k is her basic salary, her total is about 52k or so. I was going to supplement with extra 35k/month personally- but truth is, that's still way below the minimum wage.

I will see how it goes but definitely come and share whatever the outcome is here, if I still decide to take her. She is already looking forward to going but if it will pose a problem I would rather ditch it, abeg!

It's definitely a lot of money! But that's their law.......

I would advise that if you can't pay the minimum wage, then don't take her...harsh as it may seem....maybe consider taking a relative...mother...or sister....or husband tongue

It will be a bad move to take her and not pay the min wage...conscience wise and immigration wise also....if you're ever asked to prove that you actually paid.

I abandoned the idea of taking my nanny for cost reasons too....pele...all the very best.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by rinzaugustine: 1:11am On Jan 28, 2018
chibertha:
Go to the Nigerian immigration site and fill all the necessary forms and pay the fees then take or mail application with supporting documents to the consulate in Atlanta or embassy in DC which ever is closest to you.
Okay ,thank you so much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by anunimorigba: 8:04am On Jan 28, 2018
mamaron:

I would advise that if you can't pay the minimum wage, then don't take her...harsh as it may seem....maybe consider taking a relative...mother...or sister....or husband tongue

It will be a bad move to take her and not pay the min wage...conscience wise and immigration wise also....if you're ever asked to prove that you actually paid.

In all honesty, the money won't be much if Nigeria was what it's meant to be. Conscience wise, am good o cos I know she's earning good money some graduates don't earn! Her workload isn't much as my toddler goes to school till 4pm n she doesn't cook or do general housekeeping. Immigration wise, is the ish.

I slipped into a severe postpartum depression after my last child. Am trying to avoid it this time round. See you! Take hubby? Won't he work to make money for the battalion we are...lol.

Thanks a lot for all...will update on whatever I do. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 10:25am On Jan 28, 2018
humm
i am learning
i have some ideas already.
anunimorigba:

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by litylity55: 10:53am On Jan 28, 2018
Happy Sunday to everyone. Pls house, can I and my wife take more than 10k dollars when traveling for her child birth. Or may be we can share it like I take 7k, and she also take 7k dollars. For us not to declare more than 10k dollars when traveling. Though the bill and exp is like 8k. But we just want to prepare our self down. And we don't know which Nigeria bank is working in USA so that we don't face difficulty in bills payment. Your advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 10:59am On Jan 28, 2018
yes, you can and sharing it between is ok so as not to declare.
litylity55:
Happy Sunday to everyone. Pls house, can I and my wife take more than 10k dollars when traveling for her child birth. Or may be we can share it like I take 7k, and she also take 7k dollars. For us not to declare more than 10k dollars when traveling. Though the bill and exp is like 8k. But we just want to prepare our self down. And we don't know which Nigeria bank is working in USA so that we don't face difficulty in bills payment. Your advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 11:00am On Jan 28, 2018
I sent you a pm.
anunimorigba:

In all honesty, the money won't be much if Nigeria was what it's meant to be. Conscience wise, am good o cos I know she's earning good money some graduates don't earn! Her workload isn't much as my toddler goes to school till 4pm n she doesn't cook or do general housekeeping. Immigration wise, is the ish.

I slipped into a severe postpartum depression after my last child. Am trying to avoid it this time round. See you! Take hubby? Won't he work to make money for the battalion we are...lol.

Thanks a lot for all...will update on whatever I do. Cheers
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OmoBendel24: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2018
chibertha:

Wrong approach if they are traveling together as a family. Nothing wrong at all declaring above 10k. It is advisable we thread with caution so we don't run ourselves and resources into unnecessary trouble....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by YoungMetrosG(f): 11:47am On Jan 28, 2018
If you’re travelling together, you can’t separate the money as you have to declare 14k as a family. They want to know how much cash your family is coming in with. There’s nothing wrong in declaring more than 10k. IMO, it’ll even help to show you have enough to cover your childbirth mission

litylity55:
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 11:56am On Jan 28, 2018
noted I always travel alone though.
Thanks for the correction.

OmoBendel24:

Wrong approach if they are traveling together as a family. Nothing wrong at all declaring above 10k. It is advisable we thread with caution so we don't run ourselves and resources into unnecessary trouble....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by olaniyisal: 12:02pm On Jan 28, 2018
Please house,

I need very cheap hospital fees all inclusive.

Please help me out. Thanks as u do..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chibertha(f): 12:47pm On Jan 28, 2018
First, decide on the state and city then google the hospitals in the city and get phone nos and or email and contact them during city working hours.
After that, you can come back to ask for things you don't understand from your correspondence.

Alternatively, you can type in the city you plan to go here in the search bar you wont believe what you will see when you have done that start calling and emailing them all.

with the above in mind
what state and city are you looking at and what is your budget?

olaniyisal:
Please house,

I need very cheap hospital fees all inclusive.

Please help me out. Thanks as u do..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ozymes: 1:21pm On Jan 28, 2018
First of all correct the statement "when travelling for her childbirth" it should be when travelling for our chldbirth. Gtbank naira mastercard works perfectly on chip-enabled POS for payment and I believe their dollar cards should too. First bank plc dollar card did well on cash withdrawal from ATM. Since you are travelling as a family you will fill just one custom/immigration form, so you cannot slip the total sum. Open a dom account and deposit excess and encure the mastercard is pre-enabled before you remove to USA. Na my own be that ooo
litylity55:
Happy Sunday to everyone. Pls house, can I and my wife take more than 10k dollars when travelling for her child birth. Or may be we can share it like I take 7k, and she also take 7k dollars. For us not to declare more than 10k dollars when traveling. Though the bill and exp is like 8k. But we just want to prepare our self down. And we don't know which Nigeria bank is working in USA so that we don't face difficulty in bills payment. Your advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Quin17: 2:41pm On Jan 28, 2018
mamaron:

I abandoned the idea of taking my nanny for cost reasons too....pele...all the very best.

Jst take an older relative

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by HopefulMum: 2:47pm On Jan 28, 2018
[quote author=iwuoahsamuels post=64509053][/quote]
Thank you so much.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by beautyuche: 5:36pm On Jan 28, 2018
Happy sunday to you all

Please how do I apply for baby passport without notorised letter from my husband.

Is it possible to not write his name on the birth certificate or ssn?

How do single mothers apply for passport.

I don't see my husband going to abuja or lagos for this document so a second option will be appreciated.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by gratefulalways: 5:56pm On Jan 28, 2018
You will declare as a family if the total is more than $10k.

chibertha:

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (452) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.