Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,786 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1167498 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by debby516(f): 11:06pm On Feb 01, 2018
Found, pls ignore my earlier request.
debby516:
Pls house, i am looking for an affordable pediatrician in houston. I have called a couple of them and all of them charge above $100 per visit for post delivery visit.

Pls, those who used oakbend, any recommendations?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by OnJosh1: 11:29pm On Feb 01, 2018
Please people of GOD can anyone recommend a good Pediatrician for circumcision here in Houston? Had my baby at Oakbend. Or should I simply wait till we get to Nigeria? Baby will be 6weeks then. I shudder at the thought of the pain but I'm worried about doing it twice as I've heard not so good reports about circumcision done here. My brother's baby and my friend's baby had to be redone back home in Nigeria after first attempt here in Houston and El Paso respectively were not done properly... Not the same hospitals though.

Pls pls I appreciate your prompt response.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by nafyzah(f): 11:53pm On Feb 01, 2018
Congratulations... If in may ask was it only medical you applyied for or B1/B2/
NneMuna:
Hello everyone and Happy New Month. I started off my month with great joy, just got my Visa approved. Halleluyaaaaah! Below is a transcript of my conversation with the Visa officer.

Vo: Good morning, how are you doing?
Me: I’m well, Good morning
Vo: Why are you traveling to the US?
Me: To give birth to my 3rd child
VO: Why the US?
Me: Because they have one of the best medical services in the world.
VO: Why not South Africa or other countries
Me: I haven’t been to the US and would like to use this child birth opportunity
VO: (Asks again) Why the US?
Me: It comes with the bonus of dual citizenship for my Baby (VO nods and kept typing)
VO: What does your husband do?
Me: I tell him
VO: So you work with XYZ Bank as Branch Manager
Me: Yes
VO: How long have you worked there?
VO: How long have you been a Branch Manager?
VO: How much will this trip cost you in USD?
Me: About $15,400
VO: Why this Hospital?
Me: My friend used it and recommended it, plus I hear they specialize in catering for International patients for Childbirth. VO nods his head.
VO: What’s the most expensive expenditure item on your budget list?
Me: Obstertrician fee, I have a budget sheet and can show you more details
VO: No, don’t worry. Have you traveled out of the country before now?
Me: Yes, twice to the UK
VO: Do you have the Visa for the trips?
Me: Yes and hand it over to him
VO: Is your Husband joining you on this trip?
Me: No, he’ll be busy with work and has to be around to cater for the kids.
VO: I will be granting your Visa, pick it up at blah blah blah. Even though I didn’t ask for your documents, you might have to present them at the POE.
Hands me the white paper and I walk away with a wide smile on my face.
I didn’t have to present any of the many documents I took along. Thank GOD for his Grace and mercies. Wish you all same, even better luck with yours.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Unfelt: 12:27am On Feb 02, 2018
i think it will only be suspicious when the whole sum is lumped into the account, if not when it comes to medical visas,money talks!!!!

labsgal:
Hello house, please is a total budget of $21,000 too much/suspicious for a family of 3(myself, husband and daughter)? Because people keep saying it will raise suspicion at d interview. Please note, my birth related fees amount to$9k+
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by NneMuna: 1:07am On Feb 02, 2018
nafyzah:
Congratulations... If in may ask was it only medical you applyied for or B1/B2/

I applied for a B1/B2.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by chidi4sam(m): 1:40am On Feb 02, 2018
Jewish/Anyone, please can you help me out? My wife is heavy and her EDD is in two months time. This is her 1st. She decided not to let her brother who lives in USA to know till now. Just two days ago, she informed him. He was angry that we told him late. He mandated me to verify what it will take to get her over to deliver. Please kindly let me know if the time frame would be enough to process all she needs to get there. Also, apart from the things you wrote on the first page , are there other things she need? NOTE: Our initial plan was for her to deliver here in Nigeria . We are into this now because, her brother insisted I checked. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nogen: 3:04am On Feb 02, 2018
ekashiloh:
Mamaduakkie,pls I hv pm u,pls i really need ur advice.try n reply me pls.

Can't access my mail anymore please .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MamaOO: 5:18am On Feb 02, 2018
chidi4sam:
Jewish/Anyone, please can you help me out? My wife is heavy and her EDD is in two months time. This is her 1st. She decided not to let her brother who lives in USA to know till now. Just two days ago, she informed him. He was angry that we told him late. He mandated me to verify what it will take to get her over to deliver. Please kindly let me know if the time frame would be enough to process all she needs to get there. Also, apart from the things you wrote on the first page , are there other things she need? NOTE: Our initial plan was for her to deliver here in Nigeria . We are into this now because, her brother insisted I checked. Thanks
First thing you should ask yourself is: Can you afford it? This journey for those who undertake it is not a cheap one. It’s an average of $12K or more.

And why is your brother-in-law mandating you to check things? IMO, you’re the head of your family and should be the one making the decisions and all. If you feel this is what you want and have the funds, please by all means. Go ahead. The time is now, her EDD is in 2 months. She would need a passport (if she doesn’t have one yet) will need to get an appointment at the US embassy, attend her interview and if visa is granted, wait for her passport. That’s almost a month (if we are being economical). She will be 8 months at that point and a lot of airlines won’t fly her.

Like I said, if you have the funds and are ready to commit to this endeavor totally, start the process ASAP. Like right now. All the best, sir.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by iwuoahsamuels: 7:18am On Feb 02, 2018
Hello house,
I’m a First Time mum and considering using a birth center(midwife) for delivery. Tried searching on the thread for those that have used and barely found nothing, Pls help with key words I could use to search to get users experience or Pls email me contacts of good birth centers used in US based on first hand experience. Read somewhere it’s not advisable to use birth center for first baby? I don’t mind using hospital but don’t want to go through cs unnecessarily bc the Doc isn’t patient for labor time, experienced moms Pls how do I prepare to spend less time in hospital or false labor so I birth in short stay at hospital, would really love to experience normal birth, Pls advise or refer me to pages where this has been discussed in details of it has been bc I have searched and barely found nothing. Thanks so much. I’m very grateful. Yes I have got my visa
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MyEkwueme: 8:34am On Feb 02, 2018
zannie:
I've been a long follower of this thread from the journey to have my first baby in 2016 and now my second. I want to immensely thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've learnt so much and refered many people.
Now straight to my own experience:
I got a B1/B2 visa for a conference which I attended in 2015. This visa was issued in London. I also used the same visa for childbirth in May 2016. My POE was Houston. I was grilled for almost 2 hours. I believe it was that tough because I was caught using my phone at the secondary inspection ( which you shouldn't be doing) After the CBP guy finished ransacking my phone and checking my documents, I was stamped in.
Now to my second missionary journey, I had to apply for another visa because the previous one had expired. I could not do Dropbox because the visa was issued in London and I was reapplying from Nigeria. At first I was so disappointed because I was not ready for another interview but I'm so happy I did. My interview started with the VO cancelling my previous visa without prejudice since it had expired. He asked me all the generic questions (purpose of visit, why I chose to give birth in the US, dr's correspondence, burden of proof, where I work and proof, payslip) At the end I was issued a visa.
I came in to Houston yesterday with Klm at 35 weeks. My hospital demanded 15k for fit to fly letter which I refused to lay for and I went straight to port health on the morning of my trip. At port health, the nurse was insisting I was about 38 weeks gone high I knew was not true. I knew she was saying it because she wanted money smh. After much back and forth with her, we (my husband and I) paid her 2k extra in addition to the 1500 fee and she issued us the certificate. At Klm checking I was not even asked for the fit to fly so we basically wasted 3k5. But I'm not even angry because if I had paid 15k at my hospital it would have been worse. The flight to Amsterdam was just basic. The food was bleh. After a four hour layover at Amsterdam, we continued to Houston.
When we got to Houston after 10 hours, got straight to immigration where the queue was long but pretty much moved fast. When it got to my turn I got to the CBP officer with the following transcript:
CBP: Hello, why are you in The US?
Me: I'm here for childbirth
CBP: You mean you are pregnant?
Me: Yes I am
CBP: How many times have you been here?
Me: Twice, in 2015 for a conference and in 2016 to have my first child.
CBP: Can I see proof of payments for your first child?
Me Handed over all $0 balances (hospital, Dr, Paed, anaesthesia)
CBP: So was everything up to $10k? Because this looks very cheap.
Me: it was more than $10k before I got my applicable discount usually given to self pay patients.
CBP: So you don't have insurance here...
Me: No I don't.
CBP: So how are you paying?
Me: I have $4k on me with $13k in my Wells Fargo account and $10k in my Nigerian USD Dom account. I can show you the statements if you like.
CBP: Let me see them (I hand the statements over to him at this point) I see here that these are November statements
Me: My USD accounts are accounts I don't use unless I'm outside Nigeria. I can't quickly open up my online statements if you want further proof.
CBP: No problem. Just to remind you you are not entitled to Medicaid....
Me: I'm absolutely aware
CBP: Great. I'll be stamping you in for 6 months, have a great day mama
Me: Have a great day, and thanks

The whole process took approximately 4 minutes.
My first dr's appointment is Feb 1st.

I'm so happy I had to go for that visa interview whe're I had the opportunity to declare my intentions of childbirth because I know it made my entry a huge breeze compared to my last time. There's nothing that gives you confidence like knowing you did not lie and your intent is as clear as day.
Houston POE is highly unpredictable though. You just keep praying for favour.

Pls can u recommend of a doctor in Houston who can accept me at 35weeks. I hv been seeing Dr. F and Dr. Z. I don't even know their full names to Google them. Pls which hospital did u use. I need to start contacting the doctor. Houston mama's help a sister...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ugoguchy(f): 8:58am On Feb 02, 2018
nafyzah:
Thank you so much for the advice. I think I will have to stay back and have the baby here because reapplying 2months/3month won't be possible as I would be due by April.

unless you have made up your mind to stay back here,if not you can reapply immediately and apply for an emergency appt is not late

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by labsgal: 9:21am On Feb 02, 2018
Thank you, I pray for luck.

happyme31:

Maybe you just leave it at you are going to give birth.
I wish you goodluck in your next interview.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by honeywealth: 9:23am On Feb 02, 2018
CBP officer: how long are you in the US for?
Me: 2 months and 2 weeks
CBP officer: looks at me and asked what is the purpose of your trip?
Me: Vacation and I am having a baby
CBP officer: how much do you have on you
Me: $8,500 cash and my cards
CBP officer: stamps me in till july 2018, the guy didn't even look at my passport data page to see that it was expiring in May. God's favour, I answered only 3 questions, my big fat envelope of burden of proof was just in my bag.

I quickly collected my passport and moved to the luggage area, got my bags and went to Agric because I declared food. 1 whole box was filled with grinded stuff for my aunty... egusi, apon, suya pepper, grounded pepper and iru. 23kg worth. They scanned it and didn't even say anything, it was my own box they opened because of Knorr but it was Knorr beef so they let it go.

The other lady beside me had Knorr chicken and indomie chicken, they collected everything, she was just looking sad. I said sorry and proceeded to look for where to go to the terminal for my connecting flight from New York to Chiicago.
Local flight easy peasy, got to Chicago and wheeled out my bags into aunt’s car. Finito.
Now onto hospital registration and praying to God for a safe delivery.
By the way uber is bae... using my GT card which is linked to uber and just taking rides around, they charged me 367 sha.
[/quote]

Im so happy to read from you. Wish you safe delivery. Please, check your mail and respond back. Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by nafyzah(f): 9:51am On Feb 02, 2018
Thank you so much..I will need any affordable hospital in Atlanta because that is where i know people that are ready t accomodate me.Any IDEA
ugoguchy:

unless you have made up your mind to stay back here,if not you can reapply immediately and apply for an emergency appt is not late
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ozycy: 10:47am On Feb 02, 2018
nafyzah:
Thank you so much..I will need any affordable hospital in Atlanta because that is where i know people that are ready t accomodate me.Any IDEA
Type in Atlanata hospital in the search bar and Infos on that will come up. Narrow your search to "travel" section . I replied to your DM
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by AmyGod: 12:38pm On Feb 02, 2018
Please can someone answer this, would also want to learn from it. Thanks all
OnJosh1:
Please people of GOD can anyone recommend a good Pediatrician for circumcision here in Houston? Had my baby at Oakbend. Or should I simply wait till we get to Nigeria? Baby will be 6weeks then. I shudder at the thought of the pain but I'm worried about doing it twice as I've heard not so good reports about circumcision done here. My brother's baby and my friend's baby had to be redone back home in Nigeria after first attempt here in Houston and El Paso respectively were not done properly... Not the same hospitals though.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ibukunpops(f): 12:49pm On Feb 02, 2018
Hi Zeenayah,

Congrats on the smooth ride and safe arrival in Chicago.

Didint realise you are just getting into Chicago

Zeenayah:
Hi everyone, jetlag is real o. I still need plenty sleep.
I am not going to use that line. I am really glad this thread as thrived as all I did from July last year when I found the thread was read and read and make all the phone calls I need to.

I left Lagos via Qatar Airways on Saturday (27th) at 33 weeks 5 days. I had submitted my Mediff Form and co at their office on Tuesday because I didn't want stories that touch and they called me that it had been processed same day. After check in, the lady held my boarding pass and said I should go to port health for fit to fly and she hinted that I should just do whatever the woman says.
Port Health lady was forming drama that ehn she can't write more than 32 weeks o because Qatar is very strict o, forming calling her colleagues up and down the place . Hian, no be naija, my husband just dey observe, we gave her extra 1,500 and that was it.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by zannie(f): 1:04pm On Feb 02, 2018
MyEkwueme:

Pls can u recommend of a doctor in Houston who can accept me at 35weeks. I hv been seeing Dr. F and Dr. Z. I don't even know their full names to Google them. Pls which hospital did u use. I need to start contacting the doctor. Houston mama's help a sister...

Usually you start building up a communication line with the Dr way before 35 weeks...I usually inform my Dr when I'm about 5 months gone so that the dr's clinic can be aware way before I enter the country. I am using Dr E/ Oakbend
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
happyme31:
hello everyone. I have been following this thread and it has been very helpful, So I am here to give back. I applied for US visa 2016 while single and was denied. I got married last year and I am currently pregnant. So based on information from here, I decided to applied for medical visa together with my mother. Certain agencies I saw online charged about 400k . I couldnt start spending all that money now, So I decided to do it myself. I got a doctor's email at WHMC Texas and started correspondence. I paid $200 for an appointment and got several documents which I took along.

I had my interview 7.30 am this morning Feb 1st in Abuja and it went thus:
Me: Good Morning (smiling)
VO: Morning ( he showed no emotions)
Mum: Good morning ( VO didnt reply)
VO: Passports please. What's the relationship?
Me: She is mother.
Mum: She is my daughter.
Me: (I hand him a family picture)
VO: Madam please dont bring out any documents until I ask you to.
Me: Okay. sorry sir.
VO: Why are you going to the US?
Me: To give birth.
Mum: To assist her because its her first child.
VO: What do you do?
Me: I am an architect. I work at ....
Mum: I wotk with the FG. Ministry of ...
VO: Have you travelled outside the country?
Me: I have been travelling to the UK since 2013. I currently have a valid 2 years visa.
VO: Is that all?
Me: I have been to Dubai, Singapore and some African countries.
VO: Have you contacted a doctor? Can I have your correspondence?
Me: (I hand the documents to him) Yes, I have a letter from my doctor and I have paid for my first appointment. ( I forgot at this point to even mention the name of the doctor and hospital)
VO: Whats the total cost of your medical fees?
Me: From the budget sent by my doctor, the cost is $7000.
VO: Madam that is certainly very little. May I remind you that the US has the highest medical cost in the world...(He starts raising his voice)
Me: That is just the hospital and doctor's cost sir. Our budget for the entire trip including living expenses is $16000. You asked for the medical fees...(I was getting a little apprehensive and I started praying silently)
VO: (Starts typing) So how much do you say is the cost of your trip?
Me: $16,000 sir.
VO: How will you be paying?
Me: My husband and I will be paying.
VO: What does your husband do?
Me: He is a media consultant. He works with FG.
VO: Can I have your bank statement?
Me: (I hand him 2 bank statements). I also have a fixed deposit that will mature in May. (He didnt bother to look at it)
VO: How many children do you have?
Me: This is my first child.
VO: (Turns to my mum) Madam, how many children do you have?
Mum: I have 9 children.
VO: (Types for some minutes while I was praying and wondering what he could be thinking) Madam you can take back these documents. Your visa has been approved. Have a safe trip. (He hands be the white papet)

I really Thank God for everything. I hope to leave end of April or 1st week of May.
The 7k is for CS right? By my calculation, Vaginal delivery is $5,280 and CS is around $7,000.
This was what I got from HNMC. I want to reconcile it with yours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ibukunpops(f): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
Delta is the best for a Pregnant woman, at 35wks you are good to go without any documentation as you can travel anytime.

Adding the infant to the mothers ticket not soo cheap but i still prefer them anyday.

baldman:
Hello everyone, I have come to testify to the goodness of God, the visa application is a purely secular endeavour but before God nothing is secular, God rules in the affairs ( secular activities of men). My wife applied for visa to enable her birth our baby in the US sometimes in Nov 2017 and was refused. The VO had only few questions for her: Where else have you been besides the UAE? ( her answer: No where else) How much do you earn ( she said: less than 150k). Then the blue paper came out, they did not bother to inquire about me, being the sponsor nor look at the various documents she took with her. We decided to try again, this time, I also applied. And the conversation went this way:

VO: What are you going to the in the US
Me: We are going for vacation, family visit and to birth our first child
VO: Where are you going in the US
Wife: South Austin
Me: Interjected: Austin ( my wife was talking about the hospital)
VO: What do you do
Me: I am a lawyer
VO: What year were you called
Me: (mentioned the year)
VO: Which of the law schools did you attend ( this is tricky, a fake lawyer can say Zaria)
Me: ( mentioned the law school)
VO: What you do where you work, is it all legal related
Me: Not entirely, I do other things
VO: Madam what do you
Wife: Interior decorator .. we do bla bla bla bla bla
VO: Have you contacted any Doctor
Me: yes, and I showed him the doctor's correspondence and a proof of the down payment of the hospital bill ( he asked how we got to know
about the doctor and I mentioned the relative living in the city that referred him)
VO: Have you two travelled out of the country before
Me: Yes, we had our honey moon in Dubai last year and I was also in UK last year ( he also asked about when we got married and about my uk
trip. he checked my UK visa which is still valid till February)
VO: Can I have the budget sheet
Me: (Passed it to him and some other VO came to request for his help so he left is desk and later came back)
VO: Let me see your statement of account
Me: ( I handed him my bank statement printed out of my online account and explained that the bank's network was bad yesterday)
VO: How did you pay your initial deposit
Me: I paid through my Sister
VO : where does your sister live
Me: I answered
VO: What does your sister do
Me: I answered
VO: ( Typed for few minutes) Your visas have been approved, ( handed us the white paper)

I earn about 700k but no question came up on that. It may all look good but there is so much that could have gone wrong if God who rules in the affairs of men was not set to help us. The reference to my sister could have led to further discussion about my parents, also American citizens and our ties could have been called to question... and what if I didn't remember the number of dinners or missed it up with the cocktail parties ( we had two of that too). We plan to pay all of our bills as we want to be able to have more babies in the US and visit our family members at will. I wanted that so bad. Glory to God and good luck to others. Saying the truth helped, having sufficient funds to show helped, paying ahead helped, but the mercy of God makes all the difference!!!

Having given back to this community. Please I need advise on the best airline for a pregnant woman and the one that has a convenient arrangement and cheaper cost for adding the baby. Also, we plan for her to travel at 35 weeks is this ok?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by zannie(f): 1:18pm On Feb 02, 2018
OnJosh1:

Honestly I would advise you to do it when you get home. I had to redo my son's own back in 2016 because it wasn't done properly in US. It was traumatic for both of us.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Omodadi2: 1:48pm On Feb 02, 2018
And I was denied again this morningat Lagos:
VO: good morning
I responded with a smile
VO: Why are you going to the US
I am going to have my baby
VO: Do you have a child born in the US
Yes
How much was your medical bill
How much would this one cost you
VO:How much do you earn
Told her
VO: Where do you work
Told her
VO: Sorry you are not qualified for the visa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by kaakaa(f): 2:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
Omodadi2:
I responded with a smile
Yes
Told her
Told her

Ah ah.... so sorry dear.... Did you ask her what the problem is,,,, so you know where you faulted.... this people are getting more unpredictable by the day.... really sad about this....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by temmytee1(f): 2:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
So sorry.Will you try canada?
Omodadi2:
I responded with a smile
Yes
Told her
Told her

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by nafyzah(f): 2:47pm On Feb 02, 2018
Thank you..I have searched but the doctor i got doesnt ACCEPT patient above 12weeks.Presently 28weeks gone
ozycy:

Type in Atlanata hospital in the search bar and Infos on that will come up. Narrow your search to "travel" section . I replied to your DM
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ugoguchy(f): 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
AmyGod:
Please can someone answer this, would also want to learn from it. Thanks all

is your decision to make,i did my first son over there and my 2nd son when i got back
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MamaOO: 4:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Omodadi2:
I responded with a smile
Yes
Told her
Told her

Oh wow. I rarely comment on these things but I a so sorry for the denials. I just can’t seem to place my finger in why you keep getting denied. Honestly.

How far along are you? If not too far along, maybe try Canada and hope they are not going to be as crazy as the US? This is indeed frustrating.

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (452) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.