Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? (7247 Views)

I Haven't Dated Anyone In 10 Years But Having S3x -- Mr. Macaroni / When You Are Having Doubts About Your Relationship / Women, How Do You Feel When You Love A Man But Can't Tell Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by emoch(m): 5:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:

Wow, unbelievable, isn’t it obvious? He was playing games and ghosted me. If your daughter or sister went through this, would you be telling them to wait around for a response?

If you like someone, you don’t treat them this way. That’s universally known.

Anyway, even if he came back, which I doubt he will, I don’t want him anymore.

I replied before seeing your other comments about him deliberately ignoring you.

This is my modified response - seems you have the answer already. You don't want him anymore. This is the best advice for you. Get on with your life, keep being a better person and you will eventually get someone who truly values you

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:

Huh? I did Google and checked out his social media and everything checked out fine.

But I made this thread to see general thoughts on this situation..basically to get advice. Should I consider it a loss or wait for him to reply?

Don't listen to this shyte..and asking random strangers for their opinions on social media about your private life is a mistake.
Only you can tell if he's a faithful person or not, is he your first ever date??.
And why does a Nigerian man have to prove heaven and hell to a woman before she believes, but somehow you people can come and go as you like and we are to take you for face value. You have a lot to prove too.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 27, 2017
GraGra247:
If you want to marry a Nigerian shine your eyes well well. Really look before you leap.

Well I could say that for any type of marriage at all.

Subject him to every possibly known test to confirm faithfulness and preparedness.
If possible hack him and read his chats and messages,e-mails.

Once confirmed go ahead & leave the rest to luck.

I don't think you'd like to be "Subjected to every possible known test" just because you want a relationship with somebody. You sound like one of those people advising Libyans on how to enslave other Africans, seems like you are the master at subjecting people to every known test.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:
im I’m crazy because I wanted him to make more effort? If we couldn’t see each other before he left, that would be fine. But he could have called or texted to say goodbye. Especially since he basically implied he would want me to move in with him, and invited me to go to Nigeria with him. So, he went from being very enthusiastic to more distant.
That doesn’t jive well to me...

All you've done so far is list his sins, what are yours, there are two sides to a story. And stop bugging out like a teenager, be a woman, get in touch with him and get rid if not compatible.. You women in America like treating your men like slaves hence why they can't wait to run away from you lot. Born in the carribean or Africa doesn't mean anything, the moment you lot get to America, you become monsters and undesirable.

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 6:06pm On Dec 27, 2017
Bidobado:

Don't listen to this shyte..and asking random strangers for their opinions on social media about your private life is a mistake.
Only you can tell if he's a faithful person or not, is he your first ever date??.
And why does a Nigerian man have to prove heaven and hell to a woman before she believes, but somehow you people can come and go as you like and we are to take you for face value. You have a lot to prove too.

I never dated a Nigerian man before. I know when dating someone from a different culture, there are certain nuances that one may experience because of cultural differences. Initially when I made this post, I wanted to know if him ignoring me was perhaps cultural. And many in here did say wait. But my instincts told me otherwise.
Second, no one knows me on here. I assume most people on here are from Nigeria?? While I’m from America. Third, even if someone found out my identity here I have nothing to be ashamed of. I didn’t lie or do anything illegal or immoral.

Also, you’re making assumptions the man I dated was someone of high morale. When he clearly isn’t. He asked to be exclusive, saying specifically, “I like you, I want you to be my girl.” Regardless if what issues were or are going on, there is no excuse for him creating a new dating profile or ghosting on me.

I have nothing to prove as my actions matched my words. I was honest about my intentions from the get do. I was consistent in my effort and interest level.

Anyway, I’ll be fine. I’m still young, attractive and educated and hopefully at the right time, I find a good man to appreciate that.

I’m fortunate this was only 2 months of my life.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 27, 2017
jesusdiedLOL:
lol, you sound like you have serious psychological issues. Not everybody is the devil incarnate smh

His moniker says it all, GRAGRA..
Talking gob shyte as if every man is despicable.. He's got a massive chip on his shoulders.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:

I never dated a Nigerian man before. I know when dating someone from a different culture, there are certain nuances that one may experience because of cultural differences. Initially when I made this post, I wanted to know if him ignoring me was perhaps cultural. And many in here did say wait. But my instincts told me otherwise.
Second, no one knows me on here. I assume most people on here are from Nigeria?? While I’m from America. Third, even if someone found out my identity here I have nothing to be ashamed of. I didn’t lie or do anything illegal or immoral.

Also, you’re making assumptions the man I dated was someone of high morale. When he clearly isn’t. He asked to be exclusive, saying specifically, “I like you, I want you to be my girl.” Regardless if what issues were or are going on, there is no excuse for him creating a new dating profile or ghosting on me.

I have nothing to prove as my actions matched my words. I was honest about my intentions from the get do. I was consistent in my effort and interest level.

Anyway, I’ll be fine. I’m still young, attractive and educated and hopefully at the right time, I find a good man to appreciate that.

I’m fortunate this was only 2 months of my life.

For a start, there's no where in this world where ignoring someone is cultural or perceived as such, anyone who told you that lied.
Secondly, I've realised that when people travel back home, they usually find it hard to stay in touch with people overseas due to many reasons..example, unstable electricity means people can't charge their phones as they would wish to.
You also have family members who might wish to see you or for you to come to them.
However, having said that, it is NOT AN EXCUSE for your boyfriend to completely ignore you like that, unless he's busy with a side chick somewhere.
You nailed it when you admitted to not dating a man of high morals, maybe that's where your problems started, IN YOUR CHOICE OF A MAN..
I am married to a carribean woman, 15 years still going strong, if they love you, they give you everything.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 6:49pm On Dec 27, 2017
Bidobado:

For a start, there's no where in this world where ignoring someone is cultural or perceived as such, anyone who told you that lied.
Secondly, I've realised that when people travel back home, they usually find it hard to stay in touch with people overseas due to many reasons..example, unstable electricity means people can't charge their phones as they would wish to.
You also have family members who might wish to see you or for you to come to them.
However, having said that, it is NOT AN EXCUSE for your boyfriend to completely ignore you like that, unless he's busy with a side chick somewhere.
You nailed it when you admitted to not dating a man of high morals, maybe that's where your problems started, IN YOUR CHOICE OF A MAN..
I am married to a carribean woman, 15 years still going strong, if they love you, they give you everything.

You know my aunt went overseas to visit her country. And the connection there is bad, especially since they were hit by a tropical storm, but she still managed to find a way to contact my mom and let her know how she's doing.

I didn't know he was NOT of high moral before I dated him. He seemed to be traditional and seemed like a decent guy, but clearly he was love bombing me to get what he wants.

I guess in my part, I should have listened to the red flags such as the jealousy. And him wanting to move on so fast when he barely knows me. In that part, I can take responsibility for. Next time, if a guy tries to move too fast, I will let him go.

That's life.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:

Thanks, finally someone sees it the way I do!
i was the first person to crack the case, even when everyone was saying you should be hopeful he will come back to you. not until Jesus comes, and not in a million years. a more recent update for you guys, the bolted dude opens up another new dating profile. haha ha this is a classic.

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by CuteCp(m): 11:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
Corps1000:
im I’m crazy because I wanted him to make more effort? If we couldn’t see each other before he left, that would be fine. But he could have called or texted to say goodbye. Especially since he basically implied he would want me to move in with him, and invited me to go to Nigeria with him. So, he went from being very enthusiastic to more distant.
That doesn’t jive well to me...

madam...if he isn't into u...he would never have invited u to his country to see his mom....i think he's proud of you and was willing to show u off but u blew it....women u guys are too forward. so because he didn't reciprocate ur text on time u feel he isn't into u...someone that isn't into u will never bring u to see his parents....we Nigerian men.. .bringing our girlfriend to see our parents is a big deal to us...all I'm saying is that u were too forward to jump into conclusion....so if u think he doesn't like you. .just wait 4 d next guy to wooo you n let this one slide...best of luck
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 1:17am On Dec 28, 2017
CuteCp:

madam...if he isn't into u...he would never have invited u to his country to see his mom....i think he's proud of you and was willing to show u off but u blew it....women u guys are too forward. so because he didn't reciprocate ur text on time u feel he isn't into u...someone that isn't into u will never bring u to see his parents....we Nigerian men.. .bringing our girlfriend to see our parents is a big deal to us...all I'm saying is that u were too forward to jump into conclusion....so if u think he doesn't like you. .just wait 4 d next guy to wooo you n let this one slide...best of luck

You're so right, he is so into me that he made a new dating profile! wink He is so into me that he hasn't responded since Friday. My fault.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 28, 2017
I've read your topic from the get go,you seem to have made your decision already,but i want to share you a story about an online relationship i had recently,before i start,i apologise on behalf of those people who made unnecessary nasty comments on here.
so,one time i was on facebook i saw some funny posts on krakstv and gossipmil,and i was on a spree of making insanely funny comments which got a lot of likes,comments and friend requests
one of which was a beautiful Botswana police officer,we got talking on oct 18 of this year and we were soo into each other she wanted to come to Nigeria,so it was all bliss and fairytale until she began to distance herself from me,she'll come online see my message buh won't reply,it almost pissed me off,cos she always told me i'lld have to get used to her "texting fast and asking a lot of questions",but i said to my self
"maybe it's her 24/7 police job she can't be texting on duty or maybe she needs time,cos i'm currently in Nigeria and she is in far away Botswana" i texted her and i did'nt get the sweet reply i expected on her whatsapp,until 8 days later she said hello on facebook messenger like nothing happened,i asked her what's going on,she said she thought i was distancing my self from her,i told her i was'nt,that i love her, already,and she replied "you see where will you take that love" and then i said we were going to talk about the distance sometime,we kinda got talking again,but she went back to ghost mode again, but then it dawned on the both of us that we should let go,so we called it quits

Now to your topic,i don't know what's wrong with him but anyone who claims to love you will always find a way to be in touch with you,irrespective of the time and environment forget the whole baldadash of he's celebrating Christmas,an average Nigerian sends everyone on their friends list a "Merry Christmas message"for someone who he claims to love,he should'nt miss that out,but one thing you need to know is him wanting you to come to Nigeria does not define love,i've had a female friend from another country fly in to visit without any thing really intimate going on,i'm glad it dawned on you that there is a low probability of this relationship working,cos even in the USA you both don't live in the same state.

But you might still need to be open minded in relation to him opening a new dating account,my facebook account was once hacked and the hacker,actually made active use of my account he even opened pages with my account,liked posts,commented,deleted me and fellow admins of a 70,000 member group on facebook i was co-heading,so he might have not been the one to open that account
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 28, 2017
In regards to the voice mail it's not just you,as you saw your friends number was redirected to voicemail as well,i hope you're not too emotional though,one thing i need to let you know is "don't let anyone make you seem desperate" stand up high and be strong,and please i beg you not to stereotype all other Nigerian men for the mistake of one.

you seem to be a Nice person i pray you settle with someone who will come to know your worth.

1 Like

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by WebSurfer(m): 10:47am On Dec 28, 2017
Corps1000:

Translation? lol

As I said, we only been dating for 2 months. To do a big trip overseas with a man I started dating is a big deal to me. If I knew him longer, like at least 6 months, that would be different. I would be in his Territory with his family. Is that not a big deal to some of you?

Also, it's short notice. I guess I should have told share that concern with him but I didn't want him wrongly assuming I am not trying to take him or us dating seriously. Also, if he was that bummed out I didn't wanna go, he should have communicated.

So, seems like there is a lack of communication on both of our parts?

I actually caved and texted him Merry Christmas and no response. But i will give him a day or 2 to respond as we are in different time zones.

Besides that, not much more I can do.
All I can see from your write ups is simple , you miss him , you miss sex , but you’re more interested if he feels thesame..

Don’t worry, he’ll be back to give you that after the holidays and you’ll be both fine
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 10:38pm On Dec 29, 2017
analyser:
In regards to the voice mail it's not just you,as you saw your friends number was redirected to voicemail as well,i hope you're not too emotional though,one thing i need to let you know is "don't let anyone make you seem desperate" stand up high and be strong,and please i beg you not to stereotype all other Nigerian men for the mistake of one.

you seem to be a Nice person i pray you settle with someone who will come to know your worth.

Thanks hun�

I actually have another Nigerian who is interested in me. He works at my school. But he’s older than me, in his early 40s. I’m not interested but I wonder...

We shall see what happens but I’m keeping my options open.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 10:38pm On Dec 29, 2017
WebSurfer:

All I can see from your write ups is simple , you miss him , you miss sex , but you’re more interested if he feels thesame..

Don’t worry, he’ll be back to give you that after the holidays and you’ll be both fine

I’m over it but thanks; I will be finesmiley
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 10:41pm On Dec 29, 2017
analyser:
I've read your topic from the get go,you seem to have made your decision already,but i want to share you a story about an online relationship i had recently,before i start,i apologise on behalf of those people who made unnecessary nasty comments on here.
so,one time i was on facebook i saw some funny posts on krakstv and gossipmil,and i was on a spree of making insanely funny comments which got a lot of likes,comments and friend requests
one of which was a beautiful Botswana police officer,we got talking on oct 18 of this year and we were soo into each other she wanted to come to Nigeria,so it was all bliss and fairytale until she began to distance herself from me,she'll come online see my message buh won't reply,it almost pissed me off,cos she always told me i'lld have to get used to her "texting fast and asking a lot of questions",but i said to my self
"maybe it's her 24/7 police job she can't be texting on duty or maybe she needs time,cos i'm currently in Nigeria and she is in far away Botswana" i texted her and i did'nt get the sweet reply i expected on her whatsapp,until 8 days later she said hello on facebook messenger like nothing happened,i asked her what's going on,she said she thought i was distancing my self from her,i told her i was'nt,that i love her, already,and she replied "you see where will you take that love" and then i said we were going to talk about the distance sometime,we kinda got talking again,but she went back to ghost mode again, but then it dawned on the both of us that we should let go,so we called it quits

Now to your topic,i don't know what's wrong with him but anyone who claims to love you will always find a way to be in touch with you,irrespective of the time and environment forget the whole baldadash of he's celebrating Christmas,an average Nigerian sends everyone on their friends list a "Merry Christmas message"for someone who he claims to love,he should'nt miss that out,but one thing you need to know is him wanting you to come to Nigeria does not define love,i've had a female friend from another country fly in to visit without any thing really intimate going on,i'm glad it dawned on you that there is a low probability of this relationship working,cos even in the USA you both don't live in the same state.

But you might still need to be open minded in relation to him opening a new dating account,my facebook account was once hacked and the hacker,actually made active use of my account he even opened pages with my account,liked posts,commented,deleted me and fellow admins of a 70,000 member group on facebook i was co-heading,so he might have not been the one to open that account

We don’t love each other, I did like him and I thought he did too. Well, he does live in my state but seemed he moved. He did mention how it would be fun to live together and how if I lived here he wouldn’t be bored. If we were dating for like 4 more months or more, I would have considered moving in with him. As I thought he wanted to settle down like me.

Nonetheless, if someone likes you, they keep in touch.

Anyway, a lesson learned. I’m just glad it was 2 months and not 2 years or 20 years I wasted ha ha
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by drnoel: 11:18pm On Dec 29, 2017
GraGra247:
If you want to marry a Nigerian shine your eyes well well. Really look before you leap.

Well I could say that for any type of marriage at all.

Subject him to every possibly known test to confirm faithfulness and preparedness.
If possible hack him and read his chats and messages,e-mails.

Once confirmed go ahead & leave the rest to luck.

BS no advice u hear from people esp on social platforms will be right. Another thing u need to ask urself is if ur making the right moves? Discussing with friends about ur own issues is only recipe for disaster. Ciao
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by WebSurfer(m): 1:09am On Dec 30, 2017
Corps1000:

I’m over it but thanks; I will be finesmiley
Ok
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
Just a little update:

This other Nigerian who I know via my school has given me signs he is interested in me. Since me and the Nigerian who ghosted me is off the table. He has been forward and states he likes me and will wait however long. Has been calling me and texting everyday. Says how other Nigerian is messed up to ghost on me. We went to dinner as friends, and he basically acted like my man the whole night. Even other people around us thought he was my man and said he clearly likes me.
I’m not really attracted to him and he’s 42 so he’s older than me. But I’m considering settling and giving this a shot, maybe not now but in a few months?

He even wants to marry me, lol. And yes he has been in this country long. He’s actually a lawyer. But I don’t really believe men anymore so who knows.

At this point, I’m not taking any of these men seriously. This white guy I dated before said he missed me and apparently wants to get back in touch. He was actually a njce guy and even told his mother about me, so I think he’s genuine. He’s a little bit younger than me, but maybe I should date him too, lol.
Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 01, 2018
zolapower:

If u are a Nigerian and u are spewing this gibberish thunder fire u there .are you telling the world we are the worse of all men ? Or in your entire village don't u av men ? The writer of this topic is she not a grown up to find out herself in America? After all they have cnn and there president who know a lot about nigeria ,so why not let her ask them .
Spy will be sent to know about us and all we do is give out first hand information . Now u see it's not only triba and religion that is problem ,aproko too . If u come from a home where other families are easily gossip and blacklisted this the spill over .
U are killing ur self over another man hustle .
Why not bend ur miserable and frustrated head to pray come next Sunday night make God deliver u from this back yard gossip and prosper u come 2018.
U dey tie wrapper dey do aproko with one Jamaican lady dey condemn Nigeria ,are you better off ?
See if the thunder wey I send still dey do press up I go send the one wey don do road work finish to harmner u there . Anuofia

Re: Dating A Nigerian Man But Having Doubts About Him...Any advice? by Corps1000: 5:02am On Jan 10, 2018
Another mini update:

So, the older Nigerian and me are still hanging out or shall I say dating? He invited me to go out of state with him to visit his daughters. He was married before but has since been divorced for 5 years. I declined for obvious reasons. I am talking to other guys as well. I don't plan on being loyal to any man unless he is my husband. I ain't gonna be sleeping around but I am not taking any man serious.

As for the Nigerian of this thread, I sent him a message last week on his dating profile that if he wasn't looking for anything serious, he should have been upfront and to delete the selfie pics I sent him, and I will return the favor. I have a setting on my profile that lets me know if people read your message and apparently he read it today, but never replied.

How someone can call themselves religious and claim to "treat people the way I would want to be treated" yet ghost on a nice woman, who is educated, attractive and went out of her way to see you. Wow. Most guys go crazy for me,lol.

I will be fine and am doing fine, but I am still surprised he pulled this stunt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladies Don't Be Deceived, Average Is Best. / What Simps Do (pics Included) / Is Nneka123 The Sexiest Girl On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.